Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-12-2005, 11:21 AM   #31
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Probably worth getting the fluid flushed as well - so you are completely refreshed on the brakes front.
Yeah, I need to grab some fresh fluid and the drain hose and that will be done over the xmas break.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 11:23 AM   #32
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Good choice Casper I am running the same combo, I have No shudder at all.....
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 11:29 AM   #33
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
$150 per rotor and the pads are $180.
Can I ask where you bought the rotors from Casper? That seems a bit excessive to me...

Also, I noticed a thin yellow ring around near the hub on the disc. Is that meant to happen???
Old 19-12-2005, 11:31 AM   #34
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I'm actually suprised how much attention this thread has gotten. Seriously, I posted it as a bit of a ****take. I think near on everyone on the forums with even a mildly modded car has slotted rotors (hell, even the nancy boi had them well before I did). :P

I'm just glad the bloody shudder is gone. I'll take it on the freeway tonight and see if I can do a hard stop at one of the offramps to test it all out.

Old 19-12-2005, 11:37 AM   #35
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
Can I ask where you bought the rotors from Casper? That seems a bit excessive to me...

Also, I noticed a thin yellow ring around near the hub on the disc. Is that meant to happen???
Purchased from Repco in Sunshine.
I'd got quotes from a few places all around $140+ per rotor. I think supercheap may be doing them a bit cheaper now but I'll be stuffed if I'm giving that Murphy loving, Ford ditching business a cent of my hard earned if I can avoid it now. I'd rather pay a few bucks more.
As for the pads, yes, the price is pretty OTT but they were the top spec and xr6007 looked after me at repco so I'm not too fussed.

As for the yellow ring. I think its an optical illusion caused by the flash and the angle of the wheel. Its not there in daylight (wasnt this morning anyhow).

Old 19-12-2005, 07:20 PM   #36
Abacus
Life's a Gas

I paid $143/pr for my DBA slotteds from Repco.

I'm running Ferodo Excel all round, not Formulas. There is huge improvement in "stoppage" ability over standard AUII after they've warmed up.

Excels are noisy buggers, particularly when cold. Could you keep us updated on the Formulas' "squeal factor"? If they are quieter than Excels I'll pay the extra bucks next time.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 07:21 PM   #37
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

so far they are dead silent, not a squeal to be heard. Going out to get them warmed up later tonight so I'll see what happens then.

Old 19-12-2005, 09:16 PM   #38
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

I've tossed up between the DBA 4000 route, or the PBR kit. Having said that, I've never had brake issues with my car so it's not something I feel I needto 'fix in a hurry. Perhaps when the rotors do need to be turfed, I'll upgrade the lot.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 12:57 PM   #39
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Well, took it out for a bit of a run last night to get the brakes up to operating temps. First thing I noticed is once the heat is in them (1 hard stop will do it) they bite so much better than the stock discs. I still didn’t have 100% faith in them so I took it easy (also kept to the speed limit) and braked a tad earlier then usual. I needn’t have bothered; the bite in them was progressive and impressive. Even with the slightly spongy pedal (time for new brake fluid) they pulled the car up with absolute ease and without a hint of fade. I’m sure they would fade eventually but 4 hard stops from 100kph to 0 without fade were enough to show me they worked. On the stock brakes it was near impossible to get the ABS to activate on the 4th hard stop, these felt like it was the first stop. Very impressed.
Shudder? Non existent, not even a twinge. Squeak? A tiny amount on a couple of light applications, nothing like what I would have accepted given the pads performance orientation. All good.
Overall I’m happy with the results given the limitations on an AU1 for bake upgrades. The disc and pad combination is certainly working and, once the fluid is replaced, I think it would be more than adequate for the next round of power mods.

For the fun of it I actually put the camera in the car. Given I was on a public road I couldn’t go nuts so I chose a particular place that had a “highish” speed limit and lots of turns in one section so I could have some fun and still stay within the law. I also had to take into account the new brakes so I kept to a safe braking distance (also had the camera launch off the seat and into the foot well earlier during an emergency brake test so I had to be a bit placid.
I cut out a bit that was the twisties and put it here. Nothing special and just for fun, 100% legal and certainly not putting myself, other drivers or small furry animals in any more danger than what is normal on roads.
Strangely enough it sounds like I was only doing very low revs however the car was in 1st and second gear only so the revs were actually a bit higher than the sound indicates.
Caspers boring video here

Old 20-12-2005, 02:32 PM   #40
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Did you leave your highbeam on when those cars were coming the other way, or was that just low beams?

Good to hear your first nancy boy mod actually works as good as it looks.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 02:37 PM   #41
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Did you leave your highbeam on when those cars were coming the other way, or was that just low beams?
Maybe.. :rolleyes: kind of forgot till I got to the next straight bit.. oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Good to hear your first nancy boy mod actually works as good as it looks.
Second nancy boi mods.. still got the custom scuff plates in the car :P Still, these brakes are going to cop some hard use so I'm not counting them as nancy boi mods now. They are actually there for practical purposes :

Old 24-12-2005, 07:57 PM   #42
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

well, after a few days the results are good.
No shudder, heaps of bite, a little squeal (I dont mind it, not invasive) and the pedal is starting to firm again. They need a little heat but are still fine even on a cold start.
Brake dust.. far more than the last set but thats to be expected with these rotors I think

Old 24-12-2005, 10:21 PM   #43
The Monty
Just slidin'

Sweet. I am going to get dba slotteds and some Bendix Ultimates within the next 2 weeks. My brakes are stuffed at the moment. Good video too mate.
Old 24-12-2005, 10:43 PM   #44
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
well, after a few days the results are good.
No shudder, heaps of bite, a little squeal (I dont mind it, not invasive) and the pedal is starting to firm again. They need a little heat but are still fine even on a cold start.
Brake dust.. far more than the last set but thats to be expected with these rotors I think
Hay Casp, The rotors won't make a difference with the amount of brake dust you get on your rims. I have found that out for myself. I was running QFM A1rm's brake pads (the baddest and means stoppers I have ever used. (I mean that in a good way). Anyhow I change pads over to QFM A1m's, a very similar compound and work extremely well also. But they leave hardly any brake dust on my rims. I have gone two weeks with out washing my ute and the rims still look clean. With the older pads, after two days the rims were filthy......

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2005, 10:51 PM   #45
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
Hay Casp, The rotors won't make a difference with the amount of brake dust you get on your rims. I have found that out for myself. I was running QFM A1rm's brake pads (the baddest and means stoppers I have ever used. (I mean that in a good way). Anyhow I change pads over to QFM A1m's, a very similar compound and work extremely well also. But they leave hardly any brake dust on my rims. I have gone two weeks with out washing my ute and the rims still look clean. With the older pads, after two days the rims were filthy......
Sorry, I drank a few too many "christmas cheers" I think.
Quote:
should read:
Quote:
Brake dust.. far more than the last set but thats to be expected with these PADS I think

Old 24-12-2005, 10:55 PM   #46
buickman
buickman

Hee Hee its the pads that make the dust. The bendix ultimates dump heaps of dust onto the rim. The advance is the least likely pads to drop dust that I have found the only problem i found with pads that are harder is they chew the rotors out quick
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2005, 11:00 PM   #47
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

My PBR performance pads dust like mad, one drive and you get a coating of dust. With the braking that I get from the performance kit, I don't care though, I can always change to a different pad when these wear out.
Good to hear you got a good result Casper, a great feeling to have the shudder beast gone!
Old 24-12-2005, 11:02 PM   #48
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No worries mate.... have a merry one... and have a few drinks for me.... I am staying of the stuff this Chrisy....

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 24-12-2005, 11:04 PM   #49
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
No worries mate.... have a merry one... and have a few drinks for me.... I am staying of the stuff this Chrisy....
Not a problem, now, do tell about these QFM A1rm's. I've never heard of them.. share I say, share the knowledge!

Old 24-12-2005, 11:21 PM   #50
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not a problem, now, do tell about these QFM A1rm's. I've never heard of them.. share I say, share the knowledge!
They are a specially formulated racing compound that are also OK for the street (just) No joke they will send you flying the the windscreen if you not belted in. Brake fade, what's that, you just don't get them with these. In fact I had the brake fluid boiling and I was still pulling up in good time. Here's the bad news, You can not get them your self through QFM. I think Revolution race gear sell them as a brand called RACE BRAKES. I will find out for you and let you know.... Well worth trying, I assure you..

One word of advice. I stopped using them on the street because they were very aggressive on the rotor. I chewed out my DBA 4000 in 25 000km. the A1m have very similar stopping power but don't hang on as long as the A1rm.
So what I do now is I keep a set of both and throw in the A1rm in when I do track work...

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 24-12-2005, 11:25 PM   #51
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
They are a specially formulated racing compound that are also OK for the street (just) No joke they will send you flying the the windscreen if you not belted in. Brake fade, what's that, you just don't get them with these. In fact I had the brake fluid boiling and I was still pulling up in good time. Here's the bad news, You can not get them your self through QFM. I think Revolution race gear sell them as a brand called RACE BRAKES. I will find out for you and let you know.... Well worth trying, I assure you..

One word of advice. I stopped using them on the street because they were very aggressive on the rotor. I chewed out my DBA 4000 in 25 000km. the A1m have very similar stopping power but don't hang on as long as the A1rm.
So what I do now is I keep a set of both and throw in the A1rm in when I do track work...
Hmmm, I'll give them a miss then. Cant really afford to be chewing up rotors like that. The Ferodo's seem to be doing the trick now (and dusting up all over the place, such is life) so I'll stick with them till I find someting better. Certainly wont be putting bendix back on the car again, just wasnt impressed with them on my EB.

Old 24-12-2005, 11:34 PM   #52
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hmmm, I'll give them a miss then. Cant really afford to be chewing up rotors like that. The Ferodo's seem to be doing the trick now (and dusting up all over the place, such is life) so I'll stick with them till I find someting better. Certainly wont be putting bendix back on the car again, just wasnt impressed with them on my EB.
I will then keep you informed about the A1m (more nicer on the rotor) Yes, bendix are terrible and squeel like buggery..... For the brake dust Get the Megs alloy wheel cleaner. Don't bother with the NXT gen wheel cleaner, I found the original Megs wheel cleaner to work better.

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 24-12-2005, 11:41 PM   #53
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
I will then keep you informed about the A1m (more nicer on the rotor)
Please do. PM me with prices and when to get them please, would like to hear more.

Quote:
Yes, bendix are terrible and squeel like buggery.....
Thats putting it nicely

Quote:
For the brake dust Get the Megs alloy wheel cleaner. Don't bother with the NXT gen wheel cleaner, I found the original Megs wheel cleaner to work better.
Not really a concern. Cars washed at least once a week and rarely does more than 150kms a week so it doesnt have time to become an issue.

Old 25-12-2005, 02:03 AM   #54
xr8ute
Back on the road

The QFM A1M's are my next pad I think. They guy I am looking to get my reco steering rack from is a distributer for QFM. Said the AFM compound was about $80 for the fronts...much cheaper than the Formula Ferodos.

Worth a shot I think...

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2005, 07:55 AM   #55
The Monty
Just slidin'

God, now I dont know which pads to get. You guys are confussing me!!!
Old 25-12-2005, 08:58 AM   #56
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I use the QFM pads on all my cabs, they are very cost effective pads. THe Bendix CT pads are good too, I use them on my AU, they are between the Advance and Ultimates, new(ish) pad from Bendix with some titanium band to reduce squeel and dust.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2005, 09:12 PM   #57
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
God, now I dont know which pads to get. You guys are confussing me!!!
First of all, don't get the bendix.... The people that say "Bendix are a great pad" do not know what a great pad is.... Back 2 years ago I put in a set of Bendix ultimate in my AU Xr8 ute. They were fu(ken house to sat the least. After braking hard 5 times I would my brakes to a total fad out, and that was with slotted rotors also..... Give QFM a go, There number is 0755961099. Ask the were you can buy the compound A1m and if they can give you the contact details... You will not be able to buy direct through them, But they will help you get a hold of them through there resalers...

Good luck, let me know how you go...

Note: QFM are closed during the Xmas and new years break...

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 25-12-2005, 10:15 PM   #58
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
The people that say "Bendix are a great pad" do not know what a great pad is....
I agree 100%

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2005, 10:19 PM   #59
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Have to agree, Bendix never got the no asbestos pad right IMHO

Old 26-12-2005, 04:18 AM   #60
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

150 for a slotted rotor!!! Thank god for trade pricing. $100 for a dba gold slotted and x-drilled Oh and in terms of pads bendix ultimate are ultimately crap!!! You clean your rim and drive up the street and u will have brake dust on your rims. have changed to ebc green stuff amd will never look back excellent pad imo
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post