Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 07-08-2006, 10:07 AM   #31
Gunns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
that instrument cluster is very rare and was only fit on cars with stage 2 as they were good for 240km/h. Do you know what sort of tremac is in it tko or tr3650
It is a tr3550
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 10:16 AM   #32
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for all the comment guys. I cant wait to get stuck into it. There are lots of things that need some work but nothing major.

Thats the one Wayne, I found the cash after I confirmed the box was a tremec

Im not sure on the model of the box yet. Searching the number on the side of the box tells me its a 3550 according to google but Mal Wood said that number doesnt mean anything and to look for a tag on the extension housing. I looked but couldnt find it. The next way to identify it is to check the slip yoke diameter and overdrive ratio.

Do you know anymore specs of the stage 2 AIT kit? Would the engine be stock? Was it decompressed using head gaskets? What is the turbo good for? It looks damn small next to the 3540. At the moment it can spool up 5 psi in neutral as well. Im not sure if the boost guage is accurate but the vacuum readings seem spot on.

I want to drag race it so hopefully the box holds up for a while.

Im not sure I am a fan of the look of the front. The front bar looks tough but there still isnt a lot of room for a bigger intercooler and it hangs damn low. I might get a different bar for it so I can get a bigger cooler in there. Maybe something like EASPRINT's bar. That can wait to later on though.

What does everyone think? Should I stick it out with the microfueler or put the wolf in straight away?
Old 07-08-2006, 10:20 AM   #33
XRated
Shoot.

Go the Wolf, Dan.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 11:10 AM   #34
ned
Once shy... twice bitten

Congrats, on the purchase mate. I remember when you had the turbo EB on the Great Ocean Road cruise one year and you dosed me on the highway, that was the moment I started putting my pennies away lol. Good to see you back in a boosted Ford!
Old 07-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #35
Sundeep
Banned

Good work Danielle! Can't wait to see this beast in person. Hopefully by the time yours is ready to race I'll have done a bit more to mine and we can go up to the track together. We can do full dose salutes and sht ;) I love doing them to Jap cars, they freak out lol.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 11:37 AM   #36
ned
Once shy... twice bitten

F|_|ck, I'm in tears @ full dose salutes! LOL
Old 07-08-2006, 01:14 PM   #37
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Put in what you know and can tune yourself, learning a new system for the sake of it is more then likely not worth the time and effort.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 01:58 PM   #38
dcstraight
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congratulations Dan - gee the story of your cars goes round in an interesting circle
dcstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #39
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstraight
Congratulations Dan - gee the story of your cars goes round in an interesting circle
Yeah just imagine how good my first ED could have been if I didnt stack it! Ive spent probably close to $50,000 since then. :togo:

This is the last toy so it should come up okay with a bit of work. Its good to have a car that drives again.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #40
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
This is the last toy so it should come up okay with a bit of work.
Until next month you mean?
Old 07-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #41
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

they ran standard pistons with a decopression plate, some had headwork cam and springs but depended how much cash you had. for it to have a tremac it must have had alot of power at some stage, if diff is standard 2 pin EA with 2.92 and 25 spline axles it will only last up to 220rwkw or there about, thats when mine busted. Mine made 308rwkw with a microfueler at 22psi and 7.5:1. I would replace all water and fuel lines and plugs, full service and whack it on a dyno wind the boost and fuel up to 260rwkw and drive it for a while.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #42
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
they ran standard pistons with a decopression plate, some had headwork cam and springs but depended how much cash you had. for it to have a tremac it must have had alot of power at some stage, if diff is standard 2 pin EA with 2.92 and 25 spline axles it will only last up to 220rwkw or there about, thats when mine busted. Mine made 308rwkw with a microfueler at 22psi and 7.5:1. I would replace all water and fuel lines and plugs, full service and whack it on a dyno wind the boost and fuel up to 260rwkw and drive it for a while.
Was that 308rwkw using a T04Z?

Will the standard turbo run 260 rwkw? If it does then Ill sell the 3540 I have!

Apparantly it was safe to run at 15psi. When the engine fire happened the owner before me replaced a head gasket then never got it going again as he didnt have the time or money to do it. The timing was way out when we got it started yesterday. It is better now but not perfect, Ill fix it properly tonight and go the full service on the weekend. Ive got a surge tank, 550 cc injectors and a bosch 044 in my room. Ill whack that stuff in before I get it on the dyno and keep the boost low until then.

It is a standard diff still. Ill try to be gentle on it before I upgrade it.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:44 PM   #43
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
Until next month you mean?
No I mean it this time :P
Old 07-08-2006, 03:54 PM   #44
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Yeah it had a to4z ball bearing, i can't tell what turbo it is by the photos but it should get there or close, maybe hold on to your 3540 until you see. I ran mine on standard timing to. It might have an intake bosch 500hp pump already as it would have needed and upgrade of some sort. Can't see fuel reg properly but looks like a malpassi is it???
Old 07-08-2006, 04:02 PM   #45
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah it had a to4z ball bearing, i can't tell what turbo it is by the photos but it should get there or close, maybe hold on to your 3540 until you see. I ran mine on standard timing to. It might have an intake bosch 500hp pump already as it would have needed and upgrade of some sort. Can't see fuel reg properly but looks like a malpassi is it???

Im not sure on the reg, I havent looked at it properly yet. It has a pump mounted to the inside of the chassis rails under the car, I imagine its fed by the stocker. It looks smaller than the 044 I have but I didnt have a close look at it. It could be a walbro. The T04 on it is a lot smaller than the 3540. Ill see how it goes first though. I might be happy with 220 rwkw with the manual, for now anyway.

Thats an awesome power figure without being able to adjust timing. It would be great to have 300rwkw again. My AU was a lot of fun.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:25 PM   #46
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Yeah just imagine how good my first ED could have been if I didnt stack it! Ive spent probably close to $50,000 since then. :togo:

This is the last toy so it should come up okay with a bit of work. Its good to have a car that drives again.
But atleast this toy is rare, powerful and a bit of a sleeper!
:
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #47
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
But atleast this toy is rare, powerful and a bit of a sleeper!
:
Its rare, but the torana was likely to be quicker when it was finished. They also come with a pushrod holden motor so noone expects them to be quick!

The EA should be good in a few weeks after Ive cleaned it up, got it regoed and start playing with its performance side.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:57 PM   #48
SWOOP
XRSVO

congrats mate ,you got on a good thing this time round
boys and their toys!
SWOOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 06:36 PM   #49
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im jelous its an awesome car becuase its a legal e-series turbo! I was tempted by it but have no room for a project car or time at the moment.

Theres a green turbo shop on the city bound side of Princes Hwy just after Chaddy, is that AIT or ATP i cant remeember? If its not AIT are they still around or closed shop a long time ago?
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 06:55 PM   #50
SWOOP
XRSVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDXR6

Theres a green turbo shop on the city bound side of Princes Hwy just after Chaddy, is that AIT or ATP i cant remeember? If its not AIT are they still around or closed shop a long time ago?
AIT are now out of biz (happened late 90's irc)

Green place thats ATP I use to hang out these boys awhile back ,no falcons it was all jap buzz boxes and gtr's and Kipp had a tuff as nuts galant
SWOOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #51
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just keep it all standard for now, fix up the standard stuff, give it a good clean and do a full service. Should run pretty sweet stock once all the timing's spot on etc. If you start pulling it apart straight away, it'll end up in the garage with the torry ;)
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 08:43 AM   #52
TUFED6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphell
just keep it all standard for now, fix up the standard stuff, give it a good clean and do a full service. Should run pretty sweet stock once all the timing's spot on etc. If you start pulling it apart straight away, it'll end up in the garage with the torry ;)
^^ Listen to this guy. I reckon you should just enjoy it as-is for a bit. Work out what really needs changing.
TUFED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #53
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphell

haha there is no way that is going to happen. There is no way I would ever take another car apart like that again. Project cars suck if they dont move.

I had another crack at the timing last night and fixed it up. It runs awesome now compared to before. It starts really easy and drives smooth. There is a bit of a flat spot where i think the extra injectors turn on. Its running 6 psi at the moment. It doesnt feel really fast but has heaps of torque. It starts to boost before 2000rpm.

Ill keep the microfueler setup for now. I want to get it on the dyno and see how much boost I can run before it starts to lean out. Im interested in what power it makes too. Its nowhere near 212rwkw like the ad stated but that may be because I played with the microfueler settings when it was running like crap.

So now the plan is to fix a power steering leak, an oil cooler leak, a leak near my turbo. Oil is burning and it is smoking when the engine is hot. Get an airbox and some tyres sorted on the weekend, then take it for a RWC and see how she goes. I might need to get a smaller exhaust, the 4 inch pipe doesnt give a lot of clearance :P

After that neaten up the interior, fix the window regulators that are slow, get the dodgy tint removed and redone and get a new bonnet and front bar.

Then I can start playing with fun stuff. :

Last edited by dansedgli; 08-08-2006 at 10:40 AM.
dansedgli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 11:16 AM   #54
EA2BA
PM me if you want

So you managed to find the plug for setting base timing then, good to hear. You can probably push another 5deg of timing before any sort of pinging as well.

4" is a bit of overkill I think for an exhaust, a good 3" system might even see more power.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #55
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
So you managed to find the plug for setting base timing then, good to hear. You can probably push another 5deg of timing before any sort of pinging as well.

4" is a bit of overkill I think for an exhaust, a good 3" system might even see more power.
Yep I found the plug after a bit of experimenting. It wasnt in the trapezoidal shaped plug. It was a white/red wire with a plug on its own.

How do I advance the timing? Right now it sits on the IGN mark in diagnostic mode. Do I turn the dizzy so it goes clockwise towards the TDC mark? How far should I turn it?

A 3 inch sounds the go. I think pyroay has a 3 inch and it makes plenty of power. I might go a 3.5 dump to a 3 inch so I can have the option of dumping the exhaust for a race tune. I want to get rid of that hideous exhaust tip as well and fix up that part of the bodykit. They have cut into the bar to fit the thing. :(
Old 08-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #56
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Just turn the dizzy and you will hear revs rise that means its advancing, I am pretty sure pushing it towards the back of the car is advancing it, then re-adjust the idle screw to 600rpm[for Auto] (i can't recall if manuals are more or less rpm) and all good.

I always read my book when I play with timing

Old 08-08-2006, 11:37 AM   #57
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool, I might have a play on the weekend to see if I can get it running a bit better. I think someone has a wideband oxy I can borrow too. Might be able to turn the boost up a bit.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:47 AM   #58
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Default timing and fuel

I would leave the timing for now as they run quite well on standard timing and you will only have to turn it back to standard later, the microfueler should turn on at 2psi, some say 1psi or.25psi but at that low a boost setting it will flat spot bad in 3rd and forth and will put the fire out before it can burn. At 2psi the boost is starting to come on and the extra fuel is required so perfect point. Check to see if it has a boost cut defender, it wires into the map sensor near the computer and lets boost go past 12psi. It is a little black box with 5 wires i think, you need one of these to run over 12psi and all stage 2's had them so yours should. Set your cut in point to 2psi and adjust your mixtures so when its on full boost it starts to miss from being to rich and blows black smoke than wind it back alittle until the miss is gone and it revs clean. I tuned mine intially like this and it was near perfect just alittle rich which wont hurt. Ideally it needs to go on a dyno. At 10 psi this is a safe option to tune it, i mean if its to rich and you just turn it back enough to let it clear and rev clean it is still way rich and wont blow up
Old 08-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #59
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool, thanks for that info. It runs a microtech microfueler. Is this the same as the stock one? Apparantly the original one stopped working. I will check for the boost cut defender tonight and do some adjusting. Im pretty sure I can get my hands on a wideband o2 sensor so I might be able to get it running pretty good after a bit of playing. I just want it running nicely so I can drive it around to get it fixed up so I can get a RWC and register it soon. I will definately get it on a dyno once its registered.

Im so glad I bought this car. Getting things like this sorted is much more fun than building a car from scratch.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:03 PM   #60
Gunns
Banned

Are you glad I conned you into it now?
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post