Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-11-2007, 01:11 AM   #61
XRNIL8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktomkins
in outback QLD (longreach) Unleaded is around 1.44,
95 octane is 1.51

as a Victorian i find the price of LPG in QLD unacceptable. there is no economic gain in having LPG up here... price hovers around 85 - 90 cents for LPG...

When we moved here to Vic about 8 weeks ago, I had a Patrol on Gas ..... was in love with the prices here ... under 50 cents a litre ... gas is a cash cow for the fuel companies .. especially given that it is not subject to the fuel excise that petrol is.

can also be found at

www.CVMotorsport.com
The new home of Motorsport in Central Victoria
XRNIL8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 03:49 AM   #62
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion
Today it was 122.9 for 91ron at Caltex. No doubt that Shell are already at 135cpl with the rest to follow within the next couple of hours.

I just fill up on Wesnesdays now, the cheapest day of the week and incidentally when I've used 1/2 - 3/4 of my tank.
Ended up as 135.9, so I was rather close.

Matt.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 08:20 AM   #63
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

Qld has the cheapest fuel due to not having state tax on top of all the fuel taxes. however, the other states claim to place the state tax on fuel prices for road funding: when i figgure how that works...i'll let you know.
LPG prices are rediculus too. its risen here in qld at least 10cpl in the last month.....sure, it doesnt cycle like petrol, but i put my cars on gas not only because i work for a gas fitter, but because its cheaper and more stable in price.....its practically free to make for the fuel companies and Caltex can sell it for what ever price they want as they produce it in Australia. but the latest increase in prices for it is unjustified....at the start of the year i was paying less then 50cpl, now paying over 60cpl...still better then petrol, so i really shouldnt be complaining.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #64
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRNIL8
When we moved here to Vic about 8 weeks ago, I had a Patrol on Gas ..... was in love with the prices here ... under 50 cents a litre ... gas is a cash cow for the fuel companies .. especially given that it is not subject to the fuel excise that petrol is.

the reason behind the govt offering a rebate on lpg installations was due to the fact that they were bring in excise on lpg. not exactly sure when it was meant to start coming in but maybe it has something to do with the rising lpg pricing.

the only price that should fluxuate is petrol. deisel is a by product of the refining proces of petrol. it basically cost next to nothing to make. if ever there was a cash cow....

how must the truckies feel, esp interstate ones. some of the b triples and road trains that do adelaide to perth get the awesome economy of less than 1km/l. 3000km @ $1.50 = 4.5large one way. sure a lot of the time its not the driver paying but thats not the point.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 10:34 AM   #65
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
the reason behind the govt offering a rebate on lpg installations was due to the fact that they were bring in excise on lpg. not exactly sure when it was meant to start coming in but maybe it has something to do with the rising lpg pricing.
2011 it is supposed to start. I think the tax is around the 12% mark then add GST.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #66
ltd
Force Fed Fords

OK a couple of myths here need to be busted, so we'll have a look at a couple of things.

Firstly, oil prices are a result of supply and demand. In simple terms, the governing body who produces oil OPEC; influence oil prices by cutting supply. In 1999 when OPEC had one of their meetings in Switzerland, the Saudi's said that oil was too cheap at $10.00/barrel. They cut supply, and rapidly the price went to $28.00/barrel. For a couple of months they influenced the price by adjusting the supply of oil to keep it around $30.00/barrel.
Fast forward a couple of years and we have oil sitting at around $95.00/barrel, and the Saudi's are saying they want it at $100.00/barrel.
Secondly, the market determines the price paid on the perception of supply. So, in essence, in NYC stock exchange brokers trade oil futures based on demand as well as supply, this is where the actual price is set. Yes there are allegations of hedging futures but for simplicities sake, we should avoid going in to that now.

So oil is bought and sold by different countries for the purpose of refining.
Refining is a low margin, high turnover industry so they naturally add their cost to distilling it. They buy different oil from various sources such as middle eastern crude, brent sea crude and even light sweet crude (made in bass strait). They blend the oils in a set ratio determined by the cuts they are hoping to achieve (cuts is the industry terms for products extracted from the base crude blend). For example, light sweet crude alone would cost a lot more to distille on the basis of there only being a couple of cuts from the oil. What this means is that it may make great petroleum and other products, but what is left is pretty much unviable for anything else. By mixing them up, oil companies can extract hydrocarbons (thinners), petroleum, diesoline, lubricating oil, parafins (used for plastic production), tar products and many others. This is why they blend and why we are also subjected to market forces even though we produce the equivalent to about 80% of our needs here in Oz. Why do we not just supply ourselves and buy in the rest? Because back in the 60's they introduced parity pricing so that oil exploration would continue, and the nation would prosper under higher oil prices at the time.

Furthermore, we also buy refined petrol from singapore who are able to refine it with much more viability due to their ability of selling many of the cuts to theirs and other markets whereas we would have to ship it out in a volatile and sometimes protected market.

So, we now have the refined petroleum, and the refinery charges its price of approximately 12 cents per litre. Then it needs to get to the station. This costs another 5 - 8 cents per litre, then it is sold. The retailer makes between 2-6 cents per litre as set by the supplying oil refinery. To offset the massive difference in price fluctuations the refineries offer a discount cycle once a week. This is to allow people to pay a lower price of say 1.30 per litre on a day as opposed to 1.42 $pl every day.

Now, for the taxation, petrol is taxed twice. Firstly, the fuel excise started out as basically an excise and customs duty in the 1900's. Since the 1980's, the focus on fuel excise as a source of government revenue has grown and was indexed (increased) twice per year at the same time as alcohol and tobacco. In 2000 the excise was cut by roughly 7 cents per litre to allow for the GST. At the time it was actually calculated as the exact offset to ensure that prices didn't go up. In 2001, the indexation was abolished by Howard, excise was also cut another 1.5cpl to allow for higher fuel prices. Now, whilst the government receives revenue from the excise, the GST wholly goes to the states and in its design was aimed at eliminating state taxes on petrol (such as the 3x3 introduced to NSW in 1983). Excise now is around 49cpl, then you add your GST on top.

So, in summation petrol is expensive. We have to live with it and drive accordingly. Yes, it is gauling and akin to having a painted target on your rear end whilst simultaneously dropping your pants and grabbing your ankles in a gay bar, but we are stuck with it nonetheless. For those who would like to know though, there is much talk at the moment about the reinstating indexing on fuel excise, could be making a return as early as July1 next year.

Finally, as for the future, we need to start acting now. In the USA, cars often run on 85% ethanol which is around 35% cheaper than the equivalent petrol. I know, I have used it often. We have an excess in this land for crops that are perfect for distillation to ethanol, so what it will take is car makers such as Ford to be pioneers in the development of an engine that can handle the fuel. Additionally, as oil becomes more expensive alternatives such as shale oil become economically viable. For fun, look up shale oil on google.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 01:08 PM   #67
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289

on another note why the ph&% do they up the amount on lpg when a barrel of oil goes up.as far as i know we suck lpg out of the ground here and have plenty of it.not so long ago lpg was about 28 29c a litre.now someone post 72c or something a litre .some one mentioned that lpg produced almost zero emmisions as opposed to petrol recently in another post i read.i am no greenie but heres something for them to whinge about to.lpg should not be jumping at the rate of petrol.there is no reason for it except for the fact that if it stayed where it should then everyone would switch to lpg as it would be much much cheaper and much much better for the environment if everybody did,but the government would not be able to suck the amount of tax out of us that they do on the petrol so they keep upping the price on lpg to stop everyone saving money and the environment.go figure that one out and who says there not ripping us of no end. :
I think you will find its natural gas that comes out of the ground,LPG (liquified petroleum gas) is made in the refining process..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #68
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
As for those of you wondering the price over christmas it won't matter, as there is to be a fuel strike.
Do you know something we dont?
If so what is it??
Old 30-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #69
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
how must the truckies feel, esp interstate ones. some of the b triples and road trains that do adelaide to perth get the awesome economy of less than 1km/l. 3000km @ $1.50 = 4.5large one way. sure a lot of the time its not the driver paying but thats not the point.
(Not having a go at truckies here, just stating my facts)
All of the freight companies I deal with charge a fuel surcharge on top of their standard rates these days, including the Rail Freighters.
Most are under 10% at the moment, but one got as high as 16% the other day.
Freight rates are held for as long as possible (6 months etc), the only thing that changes here is the surcharge. Its updated on a monthly basis.

Cheers

Darran
Old 30-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #70
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
If so what is it??
Refueler at Sydney airport said they already had meetings with the union and are planning industrial action on the basis of a wage claim. Affects all fuel carriers including the delivery guys at servo's.

Sorry to say, but this guy is not a BSer either

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #71
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Refueler at Sydney airport said they already had meetings with the union and are planning industrial action on the basis of a wage claim. Affects all fuel carriers including the delivery guys at servo's.

/me dusts off the jerry cans
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #72
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd

A long as its for a good cause a little inconvienience is not too big a price.
Lets just hope the big wigs do the right thing and it doesnt get that far..
Old 30-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #73
GK351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
(Not having a go at truckies here, just stating my facts)
All of the freight companies I deal with charge a fuel surcharge on top of their standard rates these days, including the Rail Freighters.
Most are under 10% at the moment, but one got as high as 16% the other day.
Freight rates are held for as long as possible (6 months etc), the only thing that changes here is the surcharge. Its updated on a monthly basis.

Cheers

Darran
And good on them, why should they wear the cost? Its bloody liquid gold.
I go threw roughly 1200 litres a week doing local tipper/dog work.
Fuel goes up, so do our rates, so does the ham you will buy in the supermarket this christmas.

Just for the record, i filled up this morning @ $1.49 shell garage.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #74
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK5766
And good on them, why should they wear the cost? Its bloody liquid gold.
I go threw roughly 1200 litres a week doing local tipper/dog work.
Fuel goes up, so do our rates, so does the ham you will buy in the supermarket this christmas.

Just for the record, i filled up this morning @ $1.49 shell garage.

As I said, I'm not having a go at anyone. The cost goes up, it gets passed on. Thats the way it is.
I agree with you 100%.

Cheers

Darran
Old 01-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #75
shane3
FPV GT 0915

local BP had PULP at $1.569 cents a lt, cost me $85.00 to fill the GT, so much for thinking $1.30 was a bit rough
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #76
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Prices here in NSW Soutch Coast today are rediculous!

$1.45 for regular ULP!

$1.50 for 95 RON

$1.54 for 98 RON

Oil prices my ar$3...it's called Christmas holiday period/weekend!
Old 01-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #77
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
OK a couple of myths here need to be busted, so we'll have a look at a couple of things.
Excellent post.

Quote:
:Originally Posted by ltd
As for those of you wondering the price over christmas it won't matter, as there is to be a fuel strike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
If so what is it??
SOP. It's Christmas holidays. It's tradition that Fuel and Brewery workers strike, usually closely followed by the Airline Pilots/Baggage handlers
Old 01-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #78
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

As a truckie i will tell you this.

The freight companies Do charge a fuel levy. To date i have not seen ONE CENT in fuel levy.

Until the us stops sitting on its strategic oil reserves, and sack up enough to tell opec to get bent, we are in deep kaka.

In all honesty, if fuel prices, expecialy diesel prices dont fall in the near future, It will push the teetering economy into a major recession, as almost all the guys i know cannot sustain fuel prices that high.

Luckily, i budgeted for this, but just because i can survive, doesnt mean i will make even a basic wage. i will only just survive.

Refiner margins are higher than previously stated as every refiner has quoted record profits, as a result of the margins going up. the government needs to sack up, the excise off and charge a fixed figure ( say 10cpl ) and this will help us survive.
We are the only country with such great distances between cities and our road and rail transport tasks are constantly rated as the harshest in the world.

i still dont know why i do it?
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #79
XRTickfordNZ
XR Tickford Fanatic

Here in Christchurch, NZ its :

$1.73.9 for 91
$1.77.9 for 95
$0.99.9 for LPG

Cheers,

Brendon

1998 AU Fairmont Wagon, XR6 front kit....His
2002 AUIII XR6 Sedan, Blueprint, tints, tinted lights, BA XR wheels, leather....Hers
2008 Tandem Axle Trailer, The Falcon Hauler

XRTickfordNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #80
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$1 for LPG!?
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2007, 09:22 PM   #81
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
$1 for LPG!?
Not too worried as long as it doesnt get over $2 a litre for 98ron . Anyway it will go back down when the US$ strenghtens.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #82
XRTickfordNZ
XR Tickford Fanatic

Quote:
$1 for LPG!?
Sure is mate.

Cheers,

Brendon

1998 AU Fairmont Wagon, XR6 front kit....His
2002 AUIII XR6 Sedan, Blueprint, tints, tinted lights, BA XR wheels, leather....Hers
2008 Tandem Axle Trailer, The Falcon Hauler

XRTickfordNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #83
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

154.9c/L today for BP 98ron.

It hurts so bad.... time for the GT to sit in the shed. :(
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2007, 02:42 AM   #84
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceofSpades
As a truckie i will tell you this.

The freight companies Do charge a fuel levy. To date i have not seen ONE CENT in fuel levy.

Until the us stops sitting on its strategic oil reserves, and sack up enough to tell opec to get bent, we are in deep kaka.

In all honesty, if fuel prices, expecialy diesel prices dont fall in the near future, It will push the teetering economy into a major recession, as almost all the guys i know cannot sustain fuel prices that high.

Luckily, i budgeted for this, but just because i can survive, doesnt mean i will make even a basic wage. i will only just survive.

Refiner margins are higher than previously stated as every refiner has quoted record profits, as a result of the margins going up. the government needs to sack up, the excise off and charge a fixed figure ( say 10cpl ) and this will help us survive.
We are the only country with such great distances between cities and our road and rail transport tasks are constantly rated as the harshest in the world.

i still dont know why i do it?
AceofSpades, a couple of things.
The US and other governments can't tell OPEC to do anything, it is a commodity of which we have only one vote as an oil producer and there are currently 50 other members who like the higher prices. In Venezuela (one of the worlds largest producers of oil), the government is budgeting on higher revenues from oil sales in their restructuring and financing their economy. The Saudi royal family has recently ordered a new A380 VIP jet worth close to 1 billion dollars, and whilst the country is poverty ridden the royal family there want more money. All of the other nations such as South Africa and the associated leaders/despots want the higher prices even higher.

The oil companies are making bigger profits as they are refining more here as opposed to buying completed petroleum from other countries. As I said before, refining is a very low margin, yet high turnover business. Additionally, there is also massive costs involved in oil exploration, as well as establishing new rigs to extract the oil.

The government will not ever lower the tax on fuel, they are making rivers of cash from it now. Infact, Krudd is floating the idea of reintroducing indexation which means fuel will go up 1.5-2 cents per litre in tax twice a year.

Finally, what stops oil producers from turning around and charging say 200 dollars per barrel is the fear of alternative developments being accelerated. If we had a substitute for petrol not based on oil, most of these nations would go broke. It's a bit of a balancing act to ensure we don't develop an alternative fuel too soon.

Quote: