Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #61
Gauntster

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthxr6t
I have a Whistler Detector in mine picks up everything going around in WA cost around $450 on special and will pick up VS-G Doesn't mean i go over the Speed limit well not all the time but it's nice to know where they are as they do like to hide from us motorists and if i do give the car a boot it is when no-one is one the HWY in front of me.

Once the detector goes off you only have a couple of seconds anyway to reduce your speed or your nailed so pays to go 5-10 k's over the limit depending on which road you are driving on mine is mostly HWY use and 115-120 is a good speed for cruzing but in WA you will get away with 115 but over that and you get done.
Most of the well known brands of RD's do pick up everything the coppers have and some do this very well, but wait till the local coppers get with the program and start using the Stalcar Mk3 RDD and you will lose that RD and get a big fine to boot!

Good luck anyway.
Gauntster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 11:22 AM   #62
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Just train your dog to sniff out bacon, and keep the dog in the car. Now thats a good radar detector. :
Old 11-12-2005, 02:29 PM   #63
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntster
Most of the well known brands of RD's do pick up everything the coppers have and some do this very well, but wait till the local coppers get with the program and start using the Stalcar Mk3 RDD and you will lose that RD and get a big fine to boot!

Good luck anyway.
Radar dectectors are legal in perth mate.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #64
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbs19
I thought W.A was the only state to allow radar detectors?

Oh i mis-read and thought you ment ileagal.Doh
Old 11-12-2005, 08:57 PM   #65
Gauntster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbs19
Thats great mate!
Gauntster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 02:57 PM   #66
nang3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntster
First the RDD detects the RD when the suspect vehicle is driving past, the copper then turns around and proceeds to sneak up on the cars that past the HWP car at the time in which the RDD alerted. The radar is turned off when the copper does this so as to not alert the suspect vehicle. The copper then drives up behind the suspect vehicle with the alerting RDD getting loader and more consistant as the HWP car gets closer.
Once the copper is certain that this is the right car he pulls the suspect car over and go through the routine.
that sounds like about 15mins of the cops time, fuel and wear and tear on the patrol car that could be put to A LOT friggen better use than that...

call me ignorant but im from WA where RD's are legal - what is the actual reasoning for banning them in the eastern states??
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 04:28 PM   #67
AU1FORME
Son of Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
It would be interesting to know more details of the case as the information that the cop was working on must have been shakey. If they have a detector that picks up the speed detector and they get a hit, that would probably be able to be argued that they had reasonable suspicion of the presence of an illegal device, therefore able to get clearance for a search. Sounds to me that the cop had no such device or positive hit and was in fact fishing, therefore reasonable that he walked.

As for the vehicle search, this can be done easily under the guise of a road worthy, depends how hidden the device is. No they may not dismantle the vehicle but if they find reason to defect the vehicle (other than suspected presence of a detector), it may be found at the pits. They do not need much reason to defect a vehicle, lowered suspension that is doubtful, loud exhaust or even an empty washer bottle (know of this happening, failed attitude test)will do. Once it is over the pits it is very possible it will be found.

I still believe that anyone going to this level to have a radar detector is purposefully going out of the way to enable themselves to speed and showing complete disregard for both the law and public safety. Yes I agree that a lot of the speed limits are too low but using devices to attempt to make yourself above the law is not the way to make a point. I am sorry but I have no sympathy for anyone caught breaking traffic law (nor do I expect any on the odd occasion I get caught), or using illegal detection devices. I am a strong believer that if you get caught doing the wrong thing, take responsibility for your actions. I am no angel and have never professed to be, but I don't expect to be above the law in any way and accept my punishment in the manner I should if I do wrong. IMO anyone caught selling these things in a state that it is illegal, should be done for it as they are breaking the law too.

This is all my opinion, take it for what it is worth and disregard if you wish. I often do not agree with the road laws and certainly do not agree with the way they are enforced sometimes, but I disagree with expecting to be able to get away with purposefully breaking those laws. I accept that many will use these devices in the capacity of reminding them to slow down and prevent the odd accidental ticket. The problem is that there are many that will use them to get away with insane speeds on public roads and dangerous areas and thay are the people that these laws are written for.

Here here, Never a word spoken with so much truth
Old 12-12-2005, 04:37 PM   #68
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nang3
that sounds like about 15mins of the cops time, fuel and wear and tear on the patrol car that could be put to A LOT friggen better use than that...
I was always under the impression that law enforcement was actually part of the police job description and therefore this process would not be a waste of time if it catches people breaking the law.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:14 PM   #69
pc007
silverxr6t

Hi all

i got caught, basically, because to find out which of the ten cars had the radar detector
the cop put his radar on and off and watched who braked, yes i did. Goulburn police they are the worst. over $1000 fine paid, but for the years it saved me was worth it.
pc007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 11:27 PM   #70
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc007
Hi all

i got caught, basically, because to find out which of the ten cars had the radar detector
the cop put his radar on and off and watched who braked, yes i did. Goulburn police they are the worst. over $1000 fine paid, but for the years it saved me was worth it.
HAHAHAHA you got caught in cop central,thats where the training college is and you did'nt know this...damn.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #71
nang3

I dont think people who own radar detectors are using them to drive insanely - i dont think the range on them would be enough to allow enough time to slow down from say 200 in a 110 zone??? i might be wrong because i certainly dont use mine for that, i use mine to avoid getting fined for doing maybe 6-10 over, or for when cops set up radars on sunday afternoons in roadworks zones while no one is working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
I was always under the impression that law enforcement was actually part of the police job description and therefore this process would not be a waste of time if it catches people breaking the law.
Like I said, i am from WA and dont see the reasoning for having them banned in the 1st place over east - this process of the patrol car chasing down the car with the RD seems unnecessary and consumes resources that could be put to better use elsewhere rather than the whole speed kills scapegoat.

I did a bit of research to see some actual figures.

In 2003 there were 1621 fatalities from road accidents, doesnt say how many were from speeding but we could safely assume a good percentage were caused by adverse road conditions and drink driving, plus a percentage from excessive speeding (15-20kph over the limit) as well.

In the same time frame an estimated ;

354,000 households were victims of at least one break-in to their home, garage or shed
254,600 households found signs of at least one attempted break-in
553,500 households overall were victims of either a break-in or an attempted break-in
134,300 households had at least one motor vehicle stolen.
95,800 persons were victims of at least one robbery
717,900 persons were victims of at least one assault
33,000 persons aged 18 years and over were victims of at least one sexual assault.

Total: 2.14m

Like I said previously, i dont agree with insane speeding in stupid places and i think anyone caught speeding very dangerously needs to be punished accordingly, but the resources used to pursue the offender with the RD (which being a device that conforms to the FCC and must not cause interference and must accept interference) , subsequent paperwork, time taken - in fact the TRUE OPPORTUNITY COST once multiplied by the amount of times a similar offence occurs would end up being a fair bit of wasted resources that personally in my opinion could be better used to reduce the incidence of these other 2.14 million crimes, which although may not always result in a death but still have widespread effects through the community.

I just cannot see the reasoning for these devices to be deemed illegal when they have been proven that they reduce speeding.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....2568A900139405
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2005, 06:44 PM   #72
Ghostdriver
Starter Motor

The Cobra unit I bought in Kansas City, according to the instructions, is purely a receiver and therefore emits nothing that could be detected by a detector detector.

It also has the ability (again, according to the instructions) to detect a detector detector because the detector detector is an emitting device.

There's a 360 degree laser detector which is practically useless because if it beeps you're already been scanned.

The best thing about buying it in the Confederate States of America was that it was less than US$50. And it works.

The only real problem with it is that it is also sensitive enough to pick up radar from car park boom gates, service stations (many now have a radar for theft) and some shop fronts.

I don't actually drive that quick. It's just, being a Redneck, I believe that if the Government is going to invade my privacy to spy on me, I'm going to spy on them right back.

The great thing is that whenever it beeps, I slow, and then see the partially hidden speed trap, I can say "stick that up your **** Peter Batchelor you weedy little scumbag".
Ghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #73
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Nang3, although I do see your point and it is a valid one, there are some problems with it. The highway patrol cars that are enforcing the speeding laws would have no impact on the crime stats that you have quoted. The anti speeding campaign is one that is a preventative measure. the prevention of speeding helps to keep the road toll down and more importantly injuries less severe, by how much? Who knows. The crimes that you quote are handled in a reactionary manner, the cops react to crimes already committed. It is a sad truth of society that these crimes will continue and there is little that can be done to prevent them, certainly a couple more cops will not do the trick. It would take a cop permanently in each suburb patrolling continuously to reduce these stats, lets see anyone get away with <10 over the limit then.