Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-12-2005, 12:19 AM   #61
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonandrew
I wouldn't say that mate. My initials are AMP, and because of that, I copped a lot of flack during High School. I then tried in vain to get people to call me by a more acceptable nickname, like Paxton, however it wouldn't stick. Fortunately today, I am in-charge of a team of people, and they call me AMP, (pronounced amp - like amplifier) they get reprimanded.

Ford is a car brand. I understand that you like the brand, but when I was born, my father was a Chrysler fan - yes I am that old. The first car I was ever in was a Chrysler Valiant, a 1974 model. I am not called Chrysler, however today, my Father is a Ford fan. He drives a Fairlane. Look at a "normal" name for the first name, and use Ford as a middle name, and then allow him to choose. It will save him much heartache, as the children most likely to get teased, are those who have odd names - just something I remember from school.
I went through 12 years of school being called "Carole" (phonetic spelling of my surname), and you think AMP was bad. WTF??? Gotta love this time of year when all the song jokes come out.

Anyway, with a surname like Farnsworth, I don't think it matters what his first name is, he's going to cop it anyway. Will probably go through most of school being called Fairy or Farnsy or something. So Ford will be a good strong counterbalance to that!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:28 AM   #62
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I went through 12 years of school being called "Carole" (phonetic spelling of my surname), and you think AMP was bad. WTF??? Gotta love this time of year when all the song jokes come out.

Anyway, with a surname like Farnsworth, I don't think it matters what his first name is, he's going to cop it anyway. Will probably go through most of school being called Fairy or Farnsy or something. So Ford will be a good strong counterbalance to that!

AMP was bad when you were zoned for the performing arts school, and you were forced to learn the lighting and sound equipment and then return to the school for three years after you left because nobody knew how the system worked.

Farnsworth is out of Futurama. The professors name is Hubert Farnswoth, however with a name like Ford, as has been said, he will not have a happy childhood.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:35 AM   #63
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

sorry dude, Ford is shockers. No offense. Its a brand of car for pete sake, keep it as a middle name or something. Iv always like Cody as a name. Meh, but thats just me.

To say boys dont hurt as much as girls is a load aswell. Boys just dont say anything and either turn an uzi on everyone at work one day or have a nervous breakdown or commit suicide etc etc.

No offense mate, i just think your setting him up for an easy tease.
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:39 AM   #64
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhdriver
If you want my personal opinion, I think naming a child 'Ford' because it is your favourite brand of car is going to extremes. Think of all the crap he will cop during his school years, and if you think he won't you're kidding yourself.
Trust you to say that, my sons teacher has a family member who called his kid "holden". How dumb does that sound?, at least ford regardless of what you drive sounds good. To show Im not completely biased, I heard a dad name his daughter "Calais" which does sound nice imo.
Old 27-12-2005, 12:43 AM   #65
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I knew 2 girls named "Cressida". Always made me think "WTF?? Why??"
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:43 AM   #66
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

For all the people who have said "what if he likes holdens/rice",I've known a bloke for years who's surname is ford,and to be honest he wouldn't pi** on one to put out a fire.So I can't see that being a real problem.
Old 27-12-2005, 12:52 AM   #67
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS 540
Trust you to say that, my sons teacher has a family member who called his kid "holden". How dumb does that sound?
What do you mean "Trust you to say that"? You obviously didn't read this bit:
Quote:
I am a Holden man just as much as you are a Ford man but would never ever consider calling my son Holden.
gmhdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:59 AM   #68
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your son is lucky your not into Goggo mobiles
or skodas lol

a mate called his son Brock because he loves HDT commos
now his son is 13 and is right into SBR, :
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 01:05 AM   #69
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

Quote:
What do you mean "Trust you to say that"? You obviously didn't read this bit:
Even the name 'Ford' draws a derogitory comment from some..
Old 27-12-2005, 01:11 AM   #70
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS 540
Even the name 'Ford' draws a derogitory comment from some..
Nothing I said was derogatory. Infact Fasty acknowledged my comments and thanked me for adding my opinion. I think you need to take a chill pill, relax and stop jumping to conclusions.
Old 27-12-2005, 01:16 AM   #71
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

Quote:
Nothing I said was derogatory. Infact Fasty acknowledged my comments and thanked me for adding my opinion. I think you need to take a chill pill, relax and stop jumping to conclusions.
Whatever! team bogan forever.
Old 27-12-2005, 01:19 AM   #72
gmhdriver
Banned

It is obvious in the last few posts who the bogan is
Old 27-12-2005, 01:19 AM   #73
fasty

I don't see how his name is going to destroy his childhood. Seriously. It is people as cinical as some of yourselves that cause the problems that you are raising - your children listen to you and you are quick to criticise. So because his name will be Ford he can't like Holdens? Will be refused a job at a Holden dealership? if that is the case then holdens SUCK and i will support him in sueing them as that is discriminatory.
We are not naming our son to impress anyone - in fact it causes quite the contrary reaction as you have seen. So what was the go with that comment?
And maybe he will shoot down the school because his name is Ford? If that is the case we have failed our job as a parent. His name could be Muffy Fairy Pink for anyone cares it won't change who he is as a person and if those around him in his life can't see that well then he doesn't need them to be in his life and is better off without them in it. This is all a part of life that he will learn.
It shows how shallow our society can be.
We will support him to grow into a strong individual. We are not setting him up to be teased. Surveys show that 50% of the population disagrees with breastfeeding in public also - does this mean that women shouldn't do what is natural and healthy to their child in public because other people don't like it (It's an analogy people let's not spiral into debates about breastfeeding now).
The simple fact of the matter is we have made our decision and we thank everyone for their input. You will be hearing more in the future about our son Ford Elliott Donald Farnsworth and NOT because he has shot down a school due to being teased but because he is a successful, self-confident person that will prevail in any area of living that he chooses. Meet our 4 other kids this Wednesday at the WSID - they are the happiest confident children you can get and it has NOTHING to do with what they are named, rather - how they were raised.
Goodnight and sweet dreams to all
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 01:21 AM   #74
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Bogan - now there's a good name. Though I think Ford is better.

Fasty - you could always spell it the original way "HoldenSux"...oops, sorry, "Forde". That way at least if he grows up not liking fords, his name will be spelt differently so he shouldn't cop as much flack.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 27-12-2005, 01:24 AM   #75
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasty
I don't see how his name is going to destroy his childhood. Seriously. It is people as cinical as some of yourselves that cause the problems that you are raising - your children listen to you and you are quick to criticise. So because his name will be Ford he can't like Holdens? Will be refused a job at a Holden dealership? if that is the case then holdens SUCK and i will support him in sueing them as that is discriminatory.
We are not naming our son to impress anyone - in fact it causes quite the contrary reaction as you have seen. So what was the go with that comment?
And maybe he will shoot down the school because his name is Ford? If that is the case we have failed our job as a parent. His name could be Muffy Fairy Pink for anyone cares it won't change who he is as a person and if those around him in his life can't see that well then he doesn't need them to be in his life and is better off without them in it. This is all a part of life that he will learn.
It shows how shallow our society can be.
We will support him to grow into a strong individual. We are not setting him up to be teased. Surveys show that 50% of the population disagrees with breastfeeding in public also - does this mean that women shouldn't do what is natural and healthy to their child in public because other people don't like it (It's an analogy people let's not spiral into debates about breastfeeding now).
The simple fact of the matter is we have made our decision and we thank everyone for their input. You will be hearing more in the future about our son Ford Elliott Donald Farnsworth and NOT because he has shot down a school due to being teased but because he is a successful, self-confident person that will prevail in any area of living that he chooses. Meet our 4 other kids this Wednesday at the WSID - they are the happiest confident children you can get and it has NOTHING to do with what they are named, rather - how they were raised.
Goodnight and sweet dreams to all
Brilliant. The best post I have seen in ages.

Old 27-12-2005, 01:39 AM   #76
dvk
running from explosions

I heartily second that.

My opinion: "Ford" as a name is badass.
I guess I am a fan of unusual firstnames though, being named Dirk myself.
dvk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 02:01 AM   #77
triple8nitro
Alternator

:party3: Ford works my last names ford i drive one noone has a problem with it unless i cut someone off with it so its nothing to worry bout unless u consider calling him falcon or bloody futura fer f***s sake CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW SON
triple8nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 02:04 AM   #78
AJPOWER

Default Hahahah

GOOOD LUCK MATE Well i guess he will fit in with all the other werido names out there like MOONUNIT and DWEZZEL it will go either one of 2 ways you can teach the little to fight or start saving up for years of pyscho work

HEY think about it this way when you old the kid can shove you in a bad nursing home and leave ya there.
Old 27-12-2005, 02:42 AM   #79
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Gal
I know a couple who have called their son Ford
me too! they also have another boy called lincoln.
I think ford is a great name, Good choice mate ;)
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 02:49 AM   #80
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Call him Typhoon he can learn to run....he is your boy call him what you like...I got a text message last week, a guy i know called his boy Shelby..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 10:13 AM   #81
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I have met girls before name Ferrari, Lexus and Mercedez so I suppose taking an Aussie slant on things and naming him Ford isn't too bad!

When used as someones name the word Ford simply makes me think of Harrison Ford (who I like as an actor), so it dosnt even conjure up the car brand for me in that context.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #82
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I think you're going to have to train him to look after himself from an early age as I can see he's going to be teased mercilessly when he goes to school.

While you want your sons name to stand out, you also don't want it to be something easily ridiculed.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:22 PM   #83
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasty
So because his name will be Ford he can't like Holdens? Will be refused a job at a Holden dealership? if that is the case then holdens SUCK and i will support him in sueing them as that is discriminatory.
Well it would sorta be stupid wouldn't it? My name's Ford from Holden...
If a dealer was choosing between two people with equal merrit, they wouldn't pick someone with a name like Ford. Sure you can talk about sueing as much as you like but that's different to actually forking out thousands for a lawyer and then prooving that the dealer didn't pick the other guy for another reason.
Quote:
His name could be Muffy Fairy Pink for anyone cares it won't change who he is as a person and if those around him in his life can't see that well then he doesn't need them to be in his life and is better off without them in it. This is all a part of life that he will learn.
Well it is... I don't know what school you went to but in every other school kids get teased for anything. And now he's got the same name as a brand that the majority of kids hate.
Quote:
We will support him to grow into a strong individual. We are not setting him up to be teased.
Sounds good in theory...
Quote:
Surveys show
Survey show anything. Bush, Howard and Blair were meant to have lost the last three elections.
Quote:
because he is a successful, self-confident person that will prevail in any area of living that he chooses.
No offence but everyone says that about their childeren. I bet Charles Manson's parents thought he'd be perfect too.
Quote:
- they are the happiest confident children you can get and it has NOTHING to do with what they are named
DITTO above.
Quote:
I don't see how his name is going to destroy his childhood.
Any name at all hey? So you think a kid called "I'm-an-idiot" wouldn't be effected at all?
And finally if you're not trying to impress people with the name then why did you tell everyone here about it?

Quote:
so I suppose taking an Aussie slant on things and naming him Ford isn't too bad!
Uhhh... Ford is Australian? Oh you mean like McDonalds and US AirForce is too.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:54 PM   #84
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

[QUOTE=marco351

Well it is... I don't know what school you went to but in every other school kids get teased for anything. And now he's got the same name as a brand that the majority of kids hate.
Any name at all hey? So you think a kid called "I'm-an-idiot" wouldn't be effected at all?
And finally if you're not trying to impress people with the name then why did you tell everyone here about it?

Mate tell him how you really feel. Kids do / will get teased for anything, too fat, too stinky!, childish no question. Dont you think being called Brock or holden may illicit the same response from a FORD loving kid?. Who says the majority of kids hate that brand? Do the kids of Toyota/ Camry driving fathers pick on the rest because its the No 1 seller in the country. By majority rules rationale ricers should be the favourite brand in the schoolyard then?
Names like 'Dweezel' & 'Moon unit' would be expected from someone like Frank Zappa but I hardly think 'Ford' could have a huge negative effect in Australia for any kid.
Old 27-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #85
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe we can work in the AU bit like this

Ford Farnsworth AU = FFAU :hihi:
Old 27-12-2005, 01:36 PM   #86
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I Just just love it. Tryed it with my boys 20 something years ago couldn"t get it past she who rules (+ still does) so if you both like it use it, He will live with it + mite even like it. If not he can always change it. got a mate called his offspring Cleavland. + he is pretty tuff 2............................................

And I have survived 34 yrs called Whoosha

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 02:14 PM   #87
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

I don't see anything wrong with naming your son Ford. Your not the frist & won't be the last to name a child after some you like. Yes there are poeple out that have name the kids Holden so whats the big deal. Good luck to you both & wish both of you all the best with brith of your son.
Old 27-12-2005, 04:55 PM   #88
fasty

Thanks everyone.
Give it a rest marco. You're not even worth responding to anymore.
Old 27-12-2005, 05:44 PM   #89
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought you would have called him Chevy.. since i know how much you like them.... :yeees:
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 06:44 PM   #90
fasty

My nickname was Chev in TAFE and I loved it. That's when I was driving my '63. Now she is being restored.