Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #61
iliov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
I've said it before in this forum that the FG should have been a hatch. The boot lid is short enough not to have affected the styling much at all. It would have covered both previous sedan and wagon versions to a large extent. Ford is not higher than Commodore in the sales at present, only because there is only a sedan available (apart from the old model BF wagon XT).

I'm in the market for a new wagon or hatch later this year, an FG hatch would've been ideal. The Terry is too short at the back and too high, the Mondeo appears dull with an a/c not as good as what I'm used to, and there's no FG wagon through the range like Commodore has.

I'm afraid Ford is likely to miss out this time.
Yer sure mate.....

iliov is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #62
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt P
Don't know where you got your info mate but the new Fiesta is killing it in the small car market the sales dept are having trouble getting supply to sell them.
I get my info from Russell's Technical resources mate.
You don't know how much I wish that Fiesta were were killing it......

Year to date (Jan + Feb)
Light cars:
Yaris 3,645
Getz 3,644
Barina 2,671
Mazda 2 2,263
Fiesta 2,033 (+675)

Year to date (Jan + Feb)
Small cars:
Mazda 3 6,613
Corolla 5,753
i30 5,042
Cruze 4,293
Lancer 2,263
Focus 1,317 (-912)<- I suspect that Fiesta is robbing sales from here.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #63
Arkturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliov
Yer sure mate.....
lol you have to admit that is kinda cute!
looks like a rhino bettle

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 08-03-2010 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Quoting pics on same page
Arkturus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #64
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Oh goody. Thread 57,696 on the future of the falcon. So much information, so little time to take it all in.
Agreed.

So where do i place my order for the falcon hatch? :togo:
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #65
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

nice shop iliov.

just goes to show how a falcon hatch would never work.
coupe? yes. hatch? no.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #66
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just wait until coyote and the ecoboost are released. Falcon doesn't cover the performance market well (being seen as inferior to holden and HSV). Coyote and supercharged coyote will solve this (as did the XR6T). It will get a lot more of the younger generation interested.

Ecoboost will appeal to families who want size but medium car running costs. That's the angle Ford needs to play.

Diesel territory and a makeover there will cover the suv aspect as well.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #67
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
This is very true, but apart from sheet metal change it is the single most expensive thing they can do.

They will never be able to afford fancy materials unless they get production numbers up, which means exports, which will also be difficult as the factory cant handle large numbers anyway. Buggered all round.
Well, the EBI4T will bring about an instant weight saving because of its smaller stature and alloy block, ditto for Coyote.

They could use alloy control arms for the IRS, like they have done with the front suspension wishbones. Also, MY10 Falcon will more than likely have things like EPAS which will remove the need for a heavy belt driven power steering pump, and a plastic moulded boot floor, saving a kilo or two. It all adds up.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #68
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
FG Series II and new Territory will sell well enough in their respective sectors but
what about the terrible sales in every other sector, what about those vehicles?

Fiesta 1071
Mondeo 465
Escape 234
Ranger 4x2 269
Ranger 4x4 403

We keep hearing improvement compared to last year
but none of those cars are attracting substantial buyers,
they are being pummeled in their respective sectors.

The key to fixing that problem doesn't lie with changing the Falcon........:rolleyes:
lol, yeah funny how the eye is on the model that sells for ford (and at a much better profit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
the best thing the falcon can do to stay in the market is to lose some weight
Yeah should replace it with the Taurus...its FWD so its much lighter
Old 07-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #69
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Yer sure mate.....
Youre way off buddy, I agree with SilverGhia that the FGs bootlid is short enough that a Mondeo style 3 box hatch would work really well.

The loaded Mazda 121 FG monstrosity photoshop youve created to prove a point would in reality be a waste of time as youve lopped off the original overhang and lost a heap of boot space.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 08-03-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Quoting pics on same page
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #70
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Double Post! Pardon! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10

Last edited by GK; 07-03-2010 at 09:11 PM.
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #71
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Photoshop Champion! LOL!

Case closed!:

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #72
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
People loved the Fairlane (I still miss it) but the market had moved on from that kind of vehicle.
I don't think the market moved away from that kind of vehicle. They should have kept the long wheelbase, the amount of LWB VE's (Stato/Caprice) I see is astounding! If Holden can keep making their rubbish surely Ford could have kept the LWB models too.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #73
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
I don't think the market moved away from that kind of vehicle. They should have kept the long wheelbase, the amount of LWB VE's (Stato/Caprice) I see is astounding! If Holden can keep making their rubbish surely Ford could have kept the LWB models too.
Yet again it would have boiled down to price, why buy a Australian LWB luxo taxi when for the same amount you can have a Bimmer, Merc, or Audi. We need to make cheaper here if we want to continue to produce - sell cars here in Australia.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #74
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
Yet again it would have boiled down to price, why buy a Australian LWB luxo taxi when for the same amount you can have a Bimmer, Merc, or Audi. We need to make cheaper here if we want to continue to produce - sell cars here in Australia.
Yeah for sure you can have a car like that for the same price.

I wouldn't want to be the one paying for anything that goes wrong on one of them though, as opposed to a locally produced machine.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #75
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Yeah for sure you can have a car like that for the same price.

I wouldn't want to be the one paying for anything that goes wrong on one of them though, as opposed to a locally produced machine.
Sorry, you didn't get what I mean't, I was being sarcastic in regards to people that decide to buy import market because of the perception that Ford has in the market place, people will not buy Australian as it would be considered bogan to drive a fairlane. Only way to change this is to reset the market, go back to when the system used to work, then go on from there.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #76
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Holden sold just over 2,000 Caprice/Statesman in 2009 while an aging Territory still managed 10,800 sales.

An FG based Fairlane would be nice but no business case in compariso to a new Territory.
Maybe FoA could partner up with the US for a Town Car replacement?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #77
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Holden sold just over 2,000 Caprice/Statesman in 2009 while an aging Territory still managed 10,800 sales.

An FG based Fairlane would be nice but no business case in compariso to a new Territory.
Maybe FoA could partner up with the US for a Town Car replacement?
Yes.

Only reason that the Statesman/Caprice still exists is because of the export market.
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #78
BOSHOG
avenge me

statesman/caprice sales are loe because holden and ford have priced them too high. for that kind of money youd buy BMW, merc or lexus. so unless the fairlane is going to be much cheaper than these (not happening) then its gone for good
Old 07-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #79
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
statesman/caprice sales are loe because holden and ford have priced them too high. for that kind of money youd buy BMW, merc or lexus. so unless the fairlane is going to be much cheaper than these (not happening) then its gone for good
If Ford and Holden start producing mid sized and large cars off the same platform,
the Asian Mid sized brigade would really struggle against locally developed cars..

Maybe this should be the aim of Ford and Holden for their next product cycles,
cover two important and profitable segments with locally developed vehicles.

If Falcon used a longer wheelbase, the change up/down in vehicle size could be made easier
by using common cabin and changing nose/tail lengths and moving rear seat position about...

Last edited by jpd80; 07-03-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #80
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Yer sure mate.....
All I can say is don't give up your day job. This doesn't prove anything, just have a better look at some of the hatches going about these days.

And those who say I should get a Mondeo, I haven't come across one yet that comes in a RWD XR6, G6E, or even as an FPV GS, which would also have a longer boot length with the rear seat down. And I don't want to only carry pipes around either, the height of the seatback cutout in the FG sedan is rather restrictive.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 08-03-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Quoting pics on same page
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 AM   #81
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
If Ford and Holden start producing mid sized and large cars off the same platform,
the Asian Mid sized brigade would really struggle against locally developed cars..

Maybe this should be the aim of Ford and Holden for their next product cycles,
cover two important and profitable segments with locally developed vehicles.

If Falcon used a longer wheelbase, the change up/down in vehicle size could be made easier
by using common cabin and changing nose/tail lengths and moving rear seat position about...

Won't happen .....

One Ford already has a Medium size platform specified "across the board". FoA is bound by that platform, and eventually by ALL corporate platforms.

There won't be a second medium platform - the one available is it......

A couple of years ago Mondeo was being touted as the Falcon replacement with potential spin offs for FoA (eg: SUV etc).

I wonder what the plan is now.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 01:33 AM   #82
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Won't happen .....

One Ford already has a Medium size platform specified "across the board". FoA is bound by that platform, and eventually by ALL corporate platforms.

There won't be a second medium platform - the one available is it......

A couple of years ago Mondeo was being touted as the Falcon replacement with potential spin offs for FoA (eg: SUV etc).

I wonder what the plan is now.
This is by far the best thing ford has done one ford is the way to not to mention the way of the future . More devolpment dollars and shared costs .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 02:18 AM   #83
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
it looks to me like an equal lexus is quite a bit more expensive at $126,900.00 unless its a poverty pack lexus? back it up with some facts and figures if your gonna make a statement like that.
i left out the drive away price is $137000.

Last edited by mik; 08-03-2010 at 02:21 AM. Reason: added
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #84
iliov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
All I can say is don't give up your day job. This doesn't prove anything, just have a better look at some of the hatches going about these days.

And those who say I should get a Mondeo, I haven't come across one yet that comes in a RWD XR6, G6E, or even as an FPV GS, which would also have a longer boot length with the rear seat down. And I don't want to only carry pipes around either, the height of the seatback cutout in the FG sedan is rather restrictive.
It took 5 mins you nerd, wouldn't spend anymore time proving you wrong.
iliov is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #85
ltd
Force Fed Fords

The reason LWB cars died for ford was based on the lack of differentiation from the sedans. I've owned a few of them over the years and can be frank about it, the BA LTD whilst a great car was as boring as watching old people do it.
The car was plain inside and out and not until BAII did they do anything to set it apart visually from the XT. By the time BF came out ford had a great car but it was too late, the Caprice and Statesmans at the time looked a lot nicer, and had more power. If ford had have done a fairlane and ltd in FG (especially the interior) and had of stuck the turbo 6 in as an option, it probably would have sold very, very well.

As for the X5 and other similar vehicles, my opinion is the same as Clarksons. They're crap. Why the hell would I want a slushbox that chews extra petrol because it weighs more, and has the aerodynamic properties of a cow in a tornado? Also, if sedans are so yesterday why does BMW, Merc and the others still make more sedans than SUV's?
Nope, Falcon has to stay sedan. Don't like it, then buy the new territory.

Quote: