Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #61
Buntz
Straight Eight

Default Re: Ford Announces $103 Million Investment in Local Vehicle Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz
Great news but the bashing is thick from the Heraldsun readers especially the Holden apes. One reader obvioulsy has no idea there is a new and current LPG Falcon!!!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business...-1226240564176
I posted a comment. It mayyyyy get posted.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #62
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Well, a funky new facelift to bring it into line with the latest corporate look, the front end of the new Fusion and the back end of the current Taurus would be the go.
They definately need to swap the current grilles around. That might be too much of a structural change to implement it like EUCD2 though. I dont think Taurus is the way to go on the rear end though. I dont see anything that resembles Falcon in square tailights like that. Again i'd prefer they followed a EUCD2 trend and perhaps take the current tailights and integrate some boot mounted lights/reflectors.

Quote:
Interior facelift to the centre stack, steering wheel and console.
Might be asking for alot, but they might still tidy up the touch screen

Quote:
Forged alloy control arms in the IRS to bring weight down and a plastic boot floor and spare wheel well (this was supposed to make the cut for FG but was cut late in the program)
If they can get the unsprung weight down, brilliant, but i'd prefer more kg's coming off the front than the back. If it costs the same to go to maybe aluminium bonnet and guards, i'd prefer that.

Quote:
MyFord Touch II
Falcon really needs something like that IMO to set it out as more of a premium product and break any bogan stigma for being locally produced.

Quote:
EPAS
Might not be the enthusiasts choice, but if they could get that in it will be more evidence to prove the platform isnt being neglected.

Quote:
And finally, upping the ante with fit/finish and addressing QC in some of the known trouble spots.
I dont know how much they can fix that just in the development of the car. I think something like that needs to be addressed at plant level and cost control. I foresee some issues infact getting worse as Ford has to tighten the budget even further perhaps to keep the platform going.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #63
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Is the 6 speed they are talking about the 2nd generation ZF 6 speed? Fords 6 speed ZF is the first gen version, was the 2nd gen lighter and better designed mechanically or was it just upgraded electronics.

Because there are 2 versions of it.
Good thing ol' Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen have an Australian arm. Not sure if they manufacture here but they very well could do.

Either way, ours is a few gens behind I think. And they are looking at 8-speeders becoming the norm. Not sure which model Ford's licensed 6R80 is loosely based off... or if indeed that will be the replacement. But the 6R80 has to handle 440nm from the duratorq from low revs. I think it can handle the I6.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:45 AM   #64
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I did the research in the Ecoboost first drive thread.

Partsguy confirmed it is a 6HP21 which is a 2nd Gen gearbox that handles 450Nm. The box is lighter and offers 3% improved economy.

Can't see Territory diesel changing from corporate 6R80 but petrol Territory yes.

Turbo6 and V8 retain 6H26.
Well that clears up some of what I said. (should remember not to skim read threads)
Old 11-01-2012, 04:52 AM   #65
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Awesome stuff! Keep the FAITH the Falcon shall soar.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #66
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some have the comments I'm reading on other websites... WOW, Ford really need to do better with marketing the Falcon., So much hate for Falcon. Where does this come from??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #67
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Some have the comments I'm reading on other websites... WOW, Ford really need to do better with marketing the Falcon., So much hate for Falcon. Where does this come from??
Uninformed, uneducated bogan sheep generally.

Also people who just love to jump on the bandwagon even if they have no idea where it is going.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #68
blk6t

Quote:

Spot on, I have said it before and will again, the general public have no idea what Ford have done in recent years. The build quality of the BA left a sour taste which Ford have had a very hard time trying to fix. Plus the very poor dealership service that still appears to be common.

I can guarantee most people you ask have NO idea what a G6 is, or what a GS is or even that Ford have a supercharged V8, new LPI engine and have no idea about ecoboost. This is Fords problem. The general public just remembers the BA Falcons and what they offered.

One good thing I saw was at wet'n'wild last week, Ford had 2 new Territories next to the wave beach, with a competition to win them. But more importantly it gave the general public a good look at the new Territory.

Ford should have acted on the quality issues, poor dealerships and worked very hard to turn all that around before the FG.

Long gone are the days of "win on Sunday, sell them on Monday"
Old 11-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #69
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

I think Ford coudl really do with some overall "feel good" advertising.

Think a campaign about how Ford has introduced technology that is sustainable (buzz word at the moment), forward thinking etc...show the LPi, EB4 and talk about the Ranger development.

Or even talk about the international R&D jobs they have done, NO ONE knows about this and this supports Ozzies too, not just selling Falcons.

Its all very frustrating, because you guys are right, Falcons could all be running on 5L/100kms and it wont matter, its attitudes that seem to be holding the Falcon back. The car is not on peoples radar simply because of some stupid misconception...they really just need bums in seats.

Ive got a VE (??) S2 SV6 auto at the moment, and while its not a bad car the XR6 kills it in pretty much all areas, dont even get me started on that engine and trans.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #70
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Much of it comes from people who have bought a Falcon in the past and had been burnt by the product. From there they will tell others of the problem they had, not recommending that car to others who ask it and it then becomes a flow on effect. I admit I am one of these and so are others I know.

Many of us are regarded by our circle of friends and family as go to people for knowledge of cars. When people are shopping around and ask me what to get I am truthful and offer suggestions based on experiences and knowledge. Most of all i suggest test driving several vehicles. What i have noticed is many now do not want sedans they want either small cars, compact SUVs or full size.

Ford with the Falcon have a bad reputation amongst the general public, most of it is their own doing. I am very close with many project managers, engineers and accountants at many of the suppliers including Bosch/PBR. If Ford want to improve the Falcon's reputation they really need to look at quality control, it is terrible. It has improved since BA but still i'd expect more. That said though with the rise of the smaller car and SUVs the need for a large sedan is sliding.
I personally have no need for one and the same with the family. I would rather a SUV or station wagon with my sights firmly set on a V60 for a next car.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #71
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Much of it comes from people who have bought a Falcon in the past and had been burnt by the product. From there they will tell others of the problem they had, not recommending that car to others who ask it and it then becomes a flow on effect. I admit I am one of these and so are others I know.

Many of us are regarded by our circle of friends and family as go to people for knowledge of cars. When people are shopping around and ask me what to get I am truthful and offer suggestions based on experiences and knowledge. Most of all i suggest test driving several vehicles. What i have noticed is many now do not want sedans they want either small cars, compact SUVs or full size.

Ford with the Falcon have a bad reputation amongst the general public, most of it is their own doing. I am very close with many project managers, engineers and accountants at many of the suppliers including Bosch/PBR. If Ford want to improve the Falcon's reputation they really need to look at quality control, it is terrible. It has improved since BA but still i'd expect more. That said though with the rise of the smaller car and SUVs the need for a large sedan is sliding.
I personally have no need for one and the same with the family. I would rather a SUV or station wagon with my sights firmly set on a V60 for a next car.
You are correct. Funny you should say that, I had a mate about 6 months ago come to me asking advice about what wagon they should buy. He had quite a few examples of BA/BF wagons, some LPG.

I actually steered him clear as they were all basically ex-trade, and I wouldnt buy the old LPG system personally. So I showed them an 08 Astra TDI wagon, they love it.

I just didnt have confidence in recommending a B series to a friend.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 11-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #72
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
100% spot on, at work within the last 2 years we bought a new transit van and FG c/s ute for deliveries, both have been perfect for their intended purpose with no warranty claims to speak of. When speaking with other factories nearby many have been badly burnt by their B-series falcon/early territory quality issues and swear black & blue to never touch a Ford again.

To make a very general statement it seems people who by recent Falcons, say post FG are far happier with their purchase than those who bought new B series. Its getting those disillusioned previous buyer back into the show room to try a new model thats Ford's top brass must make a priority, if they aren't already.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #73
302weapon
Starter Motor

"Drive.com" Joshua Dowling at it again....http://www.smh.com.au/drive/motor-ne...111-1pu2m.html
302weapon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #74
sxckevo
Ford motor company

This guy that commented on the Herald Sun story has it all figured out.....

Ozzie of Vic Posted at 1:50 PM January 10, 2012
Ford Australia needs to develop left - hand drive Falcons and Territories and find major export markets for these cars - like Holden has done for the Commodore and Caprice models. There are potential markets in the Middle East, Asia and South America and Ford Australia needs to do this in the very near future and it could certainly ensure Ford's long - term survival in Australia. Another thing that Ford Aust should be doing is making the Focus at Broadmeadows. As Holden now makes the Cruze at Elizabeth, it has boosted local production there. Another thing Ford could do is to revive the Cortina. A new Cortina could be a smaller - version to the Falcon and it could have a four and a six cylinder engine and a car like this could have enournous export potential as well.

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #75
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302weapon
"Drive.com" Joshua Dowling at it again....http://www.smh.com.au/drive/motor-ne...111-1pu2m.html

In that article above "the mining industry receives more public funds than the auto industry", what the????????
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #76
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The difference between the Mining industry and the Auto industry is that the Mining industry is making trillions!!! while the Auto industry is barely breaking even ... hence the government chooses to invest into a winning business that a loosing one ... good on them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
In that article above "the mining industry receives more public funds than the auto industry", what the????????
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #77
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
The difference between the Mining industry and the Auto industry is that the Mining industry is making trillions!!! while the Auto industry is barely breaking even ... hence the government chooses to invest into a winning business that a loosing one ... good on them!
I was amazed that the mining industry received a cent. I remember the outcry over the mining tax.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #78
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

I guess this can be considered related...

Automotive Supply Chain Development Program

Ford Motor Company of Australia Ltd With funding from the Automotive Chain Supply Development Program, Ford Australia will strengthen and sustain the capabilities of its automotive component supply base by focusing on improvements to suppliers' manufacturing efficiencies, productivity and quality
management.

$1,169,456.00 (amount Ex GST)
$1,286,401.60 (GST Inc)
9/11/2011 (Approval Date)
30/06/2013 (Grant Term)
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #79
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I've found the answer to the question of which auto they will use. Was looking at ZF's website and noticed that some of the info Ford used in their press release was taken direct from ZF's website page for the 2nd generation 6 speed. The NA and LPi 6's will use the smaller HP21, the 2nd gen version of the HP19, rated to 450nm and supposed to be fitted to the Ecoboost Falcons, and the turbo and V8 will probably use the HP28, second gen version of the HP26. Rated to 700nm. Can shift in as little as 100ms and 3-6% economy improvement over the first gen HP26.

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ...smission.shtml

It was like a lightbulb moment when I read it as the points used in the Advantages section of the webpage were identical to the points used in Fords press release.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #80
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
I guess this can be considered related...

Automotive Supply Chain Development Program

Ford Motor Company of Australia Ltd With funding from the Automotive Chain Supply Development Program, Ford Australia will strengthen and sustain the capabilities of its automotive component supply base by focusing on improvements to suppliers' manufacturing efficiencies, productivity and quality
management.

$1,169,456.00 (amount Ex GST)
$1,286,401.60 (GST Inc)
9/11/2011 (Approval Date)
30/06/2013 (Grant Term)
FordAUS got the rough end of the stick..Holden and Toyota got a much better deal... double the amount of Ford.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #81
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
FordAUS got the rough end of the stick..Holden and Toyota got a much better deal... double the amount of Ford.
Does that mean "One Ford" FAPA suppliers now get preference as Ford eyes them for better scales of economy
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #82
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
I've found the answer to the question of which auto they will use. Was looking at ZF's website and noticed that some of the info Ford used in their press release was taken direct from ZF's website page for the 2nd generation 6 speed. The NA and LPi 6's will use the smaller HP21, the 2nd gen version of the HP19, rated to 450nm and supposed to be fitted to the Ecoboost Falcons, and the turbo and V8 will probably use the HP28, second gen version of the HP26. Rated to 700nm. Can shift in as little as 100ms and 3-6% economy improvement over the first gen HP26.

It was like a lightbulb moment when I read it as the points used in the Advantages section of the webpage were identical to the points used in Fords press release.
Yep, the same wording!
3-6% economy improvement for XR6T would take it from 11.7L/100km to potentially 11.0L/100km.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #83
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes & No... I thought I read somewhere that Holden was given the funding with the provision they had to help & maintain the local supply change. I guess Ford would have less "strings" attached & could possibly have more FAPA supplied parts going forward, which would lower costs & increase profits? Just thinking out loud..
Old 12-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #84
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Sorry if this has been covered before. Are you saying the new EB4 being released in April will already have this new gear box??

If so, then I'm ecxepting a fuel rating starting with a 7 as a MUST!! If the gear box alone gives 3-6% better fuel, added with 20% better fuel from EB engine itself, then 7.x should be an easly number??
Old 12-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #85
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Sorry if this has been covered before. Are you saying the new EB4 being released in April will already have this new gear box??

If so, then I'm ecxepting a fuel rating starting with a 7 as a MUST!! If the gear box alone gives 3-6% better fuel, added with 20% better fuel from EB engine itself, then 7.x should be an easly number??
Considering that the new Camry with 2.5 I-4, 6-speed auto and no turbo gets 7.8 l/100 km,
I think Ford fans should be pleased if Ecoboost Falcon scores 8.0 or 8.2 l/100 km.
The difference between those two products is HUGE in terms of feel and performance.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #86
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes & No... I thought I read somewhere that Holden was given the funding with the provision they had to help & maintain the local supply change. I guess Ford would have less "strings" attached & could possibly have more FAPA supplied parts going forward, which would lower costs & increase profits? Just thinking out loud..
Yes very possible and probable. But I find it unlikely that it's as simple as that. Ford aren't the only ones with suupliy agreements such as those. I'm sure the process for application of funding and justification of funds varies significantly, even though the general description of the use of funds is similar.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #87
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

So if the mustang is looking at EB4 does that mean there is any hope of a manual EB4 Falcon?

Europe generally like manuals and if EB4 Mustang is aimed at them then maybe it will happen?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 12-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #88
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, going a bit off topic.. I just checked the Madaz website, they Madaz 3's fuel rating is 7.9.. Could you image a Falcon using less fuel then the best selling small car (& car overall) on the market!! Now, there is a TV add if I ever hear of one.. It might even be quicker 0-100 too?? Add number 2!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #89
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mazda 3 SkyActiv is 6.1l /100 ... and I think that new model is the main reason why sales keep going up and up ...
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #90
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
Mazda 3 SkyActiv is 6.1l /100 ... and I think that new model is the main reason why sales keep going up and up ...
That is very impressive for petrol.