Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #61
g220ba
FGX XR8

Having read several articles i think you will find the XR50 and XR6 50th Annivesary are the same vehicle. The XR6 50th Anniversary will wear the XR50 badging.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #62
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Seems thats the case.. Bit confusing tho!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #63
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Australia - Newsroom

more official stuff ^^

I noticed at the bottom of the page it says the FG's engine is a DI-VCT.. What does that DI stand for?
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 11:25 PM   #64
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58

more official stuff ^^

I noticed at the bottom of the page it says the FG's engine is a DI-VCT.. What does that DI stand for?
Dual Independant I think.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #65
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58

more official stuff ^^

Double Individual Variable Camshaft Timing.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #66
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Why should backseat passengers miss out on the benefit of curtain airbags...? Oh thats right, ANCAP only measures front seat occupant safety and a snappy '5 star rating' is the only thing Ford cares about rather than actual occupant safety.

Dont worry about the kids in the back, at least mum and dad have 5 star safety - pathetic.
Are airbags even safe for kids yet? I've heard stories of how kids have been killed in the front seats of cars because of airbags. Our little kids are certainly not allowed to sit in the front passenger seat because of the worry of the airbag - even if it is dual stage.

Are you saying you want the Falcon to only be able to carry adults in the back, and not give people the choice?

Lukeyson
Old 30-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #67
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Are airbags even safe for kids yet? I've heard stories of how kids have been killed in the front seats of cars because of airbags. Our little kids are certainly not allowed to sit in the front passenger seat because of the worry of the airbag - even if it is dual stage.

Are you saying you want the Falcon to only be able to carry adults in the back, and not give people the choice?

Lukeyson
I'd like to see evidence to back that claim up, not just stories.
Most airbag deaths are attributed to lack of seatbelts being used.

As for children, if they're requiring any "booster" seating or rear facing seating device then they shouldn't be in the front seat. It is stated by the manufacturer.

I am in agreement with Brazen, the omission of curtain airbags for the rear passengers for a "family" car is disappointing.
Old 30-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #68
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
I'd like to see evidence to back that claim up, not just stories.
Most airbag deaths are attributed to lack of seatbelts being used.

As for children, if they're requiring any "booster" seating or rear facing seating device then they shouldn't be in the front seat. It is stated by the manufacturer.

I am in agreement with Brazen, the omission of curtain airbags for the rear passengers for a "family" car is disappointing.
Correct.. Most stories are through kids not wearing seatbelts correctly, or not wearing them at all.

Its only a $300 option, but the issue is you have to wait for a car to be built with it from factory. It should be just standard... In particular on XR models!
Old 30-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #69
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont understand all this fuss about side air bags.. If you want them, it is avaiable to you, you just have to send the extra 300 bucks.. Problem is, most dont see it as "important" when it comes to spending their on money on getting it.. So, bottom line, it can't be that inportant..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #70
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Anyone who can justify that a $43,000 on-the-road Falcon XT shouldnt have standard curtain airbags is in la la land

They save lives, they are on other Falcon variants, the competition has 6 or more airbags: There should be no excuse.

Why should backseat passengers miss out on the benefit of curtain airbags...? Oh thats right, ANCAP only measures front seat occupant safety and a snappy '5 star rating' is the only thing Ford cares about rather than actual occupant safety.

Dont worry about the kids in the back, at least mum and dad have 5 star safety - pathetic.
No body is justifying anything.

All I can say on this topic at the moment is that there's always a reason for decisions that take place, and these decisions are not always supported internally.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #71
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a friend who has never had an occupant in the rear of his EL Falcon (owned from new)
I cannot see any benefit to curtain airbags in his case (if he were to upgrade to an FG that is).

I would have a problem if it was not available.

I wonder what percentage of cars have it optioned in ?
If it is over 80% Ford would probably make it standard, I believe that the public is deciding for itself that they don't want the curtains.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #72
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IT is a bit confusingly worded.
The six models are
XR6-50 NA sedan
XR6-50 Turbo sedan
XR6-50 NA Ute
XR6-50 Turbo Ute
G6E-50 NA Sedan
G6E-50 Turbo Sedan

So nothing for you unless you are buying XR6 or G6E. Nothing based on XT or G6.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #73
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Side impacts are the most common and the most dangerous.

A large family car will be used to carry families.

A powerful rear wheel drive car from my own experience is more likely to go sideways into a pole or tree than a FWD.

Falcons are often used as taxis and have rear seat passengers.

Its just plainly obvious to me that they should be standard on cars costing that much. Its rumoured that the locally produced Cruze will come with 10 airbags - including thorax and curtain airbags for rear seat passengers. Its the norm.

The fact that they are not optioned often on the Falcon shows the biggest buyers of Falcons - fleets, will just order the basic package. Ford knows this and gets to save a lot of money by leaving out this safety feature.

If people dont care about the airbags in the end, well its probably doing Ford good. But I wonder if the money saved is worth the negative attention this gets everytime there is an article on a Falcon.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #74
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I dont understand all this fuss about side air bags.. If you want them, it is avaiable to you, you just have to send the extra 300 bucks.. Problem is, most dont see it as "important" when it comes to spending their on money on getting it.. So, bottom line, it can't be that inportant..
No the problem for most customers is you have to ORDER a car from factory. Which means waiting 8 weeks, and not just paying $300.. When you order a custom built car they are usually dearer as there is less incentive for dealers to sell them opposed to what they have in stock. So the $300 can soon turn into $2300 when you factor in the cost of ordering from factory.
Old 30-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #75
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PLus you can bet fleets, company car and rental cars wont have this feature as they are bought on price. SO if someone else is choosing your car for you, no curtain bags for you.
Will also mean that finding one with the bags on used market in a few years time will be harder too.
Really Ford should just put them in and shut up the debate. It gives the knockers like PGover a free kick.
Old 30-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #76
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On another topic. Be nice if ford released mechandise marking this anniversary. Posters, polo shirts, models, maybe a "history of Falcon" book or dvd with the different models and highlights.
Something for enthusiasts collectors and kiddies who cant afford a new XR or G6E
Old 30-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #77
Gaz
Got Ghia?

In QLD, not kids under 4 in the front unless it is a ute, and only allowed in the front between 4-7 if all other seats are filled.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...sked_questions

I'm sure other states have similar legislation.

From my readings curtain airbags are to stop head-window impacts. Most kids under probably 10 aren't tall enough for their head to reach the window.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #78
Falcman0o7
Banned

I let an airbag off the other day and i tell you what i would rather have a smashed skull than lay there gasping for air as the fumes a deployed airbag let off are rediculous. I near couldn't breath and i was outside. plus the force can break your face anyway.
Air bags? na, you can have em...

And ALL cars should have all airbag options. it's like well if they can't afford a G6 ect then they are not worth saving.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #79
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
On another topic. Be nice if ford released mechandise marking this anniversary. Posters, polo shirts, models, maybe a "history of Falcon" book or dvd with the different models and highlights.
Something for enthusiasts collectors and kiddies who cant afford a new XR or G6E
Great idea on the DVD. Bonus Disc could be "The making of Coyote!" by FPV.
Old 30-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #80
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
Great idea on the DVD. Bonus Disc could be "The making of Coyote!" by FPV.
Would be good, but production has been stalled to the last quarter of 2010.....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #81
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Dual Independant I think.
Correct.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #82
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
At least we've figured out why the G6ET gets a price hike (Free 19's and Sat Nav included) nice!..
Good value as they were $4000 options in May '08 iirc...wonder if the have have tuned the suspension for the 19"?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #83
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

In 50 years the falcon 6 received 2 extra valves per cylinder and an extra cam!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #84
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw the prices on these today, they have not been ratified as yet, but they have put out this rough price range.

XR6 $37,000 - $39,500 Drive away
XR6T$48,000 - $50,000 " "
G6ET $55,000- $58,000 " "

Can't remember the price of the G6E or the utes but as you can see they are only a couple of thousand over the current prices.

But seeing as the G6ET has sat nav as standard I would say that it would be a bargain if it came in at the lower amount

From the colour range that was there it looks like Velvet and Ego have been dropped
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #85
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
I saw the prices on these today, they have not been ratified as yet, but they have put out this rough price range.

XR6 $37,000 - $39,500 Drive away
XR6T$48,000 - $50,000 " "
G6ET $55,000- $58,000 " "

Can't remember the price of the G6E or the utes but as you can see they are only a couple of thousand over the current prices.

But seeing as the G6ET has sat nav as standard I would say that it would be a bargain if it came in at the lower amount

From the colour range that was there it looks like Velvet and Ego have been dropped
Why are you selling ur G6ET mate?? u going to get a 50th?

Id say egos going coz theres a new grey coming, not sure about velvet.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #86
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Quote:
At least we've figured out why the G6ET gets a price hike (Free 19's and Sat Nav included) nice!
IMO theyre the best looking wheels I have seen on the non-FPV FG range thus far. The XR wheels are hideous particularly the XR8.
Im not keen on the gold colour though, very Tiger gold-esque. Overall well done ford, I'd love to have that blue G6E turbo sitting in my garage

Last edited by 4.0i_SiX; 01-05-2010 at 05:51 PM.
4.0i_SiX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #87
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
I wouldn't mind a 50th anniversary G6ET in Sunburst,( saw an actual pic of it today and IMO it will be spectacular in the sun) But no! I have something else in the pipe line.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #88
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
I wouldn't mind a 50th anniversary G6ET in Sunburst,( saw an actual pic of it today and IMO it will be spectacular in the sun)
There will only be 200 G6ET's made as well.
But no! I have something else in the pipe line.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 AM   #89
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
I wouldn't mind a 50th anniversary G6ET in Sunburst,( saw an actual pic of it today and IMO it will be spectacular in the sun)
There will only be 200 G6ET's made as well.
But no! I have something else in the pipe line.
GT HO !!!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #90
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

All of this talk about the FG not having curtain airbags whilst other cars do is forgetting that the FG is still the safest family car with the highest ANCAP pointscore without requiring/having them.

The VE now scores 5 stars, but it's actual pointscore even - with the ridiculous viewrobbing A pillars and curtain airbags - is less than FG Falcon.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post