Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #61
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
A friend's wife averaged 15l/100k in his SS wagon..... The CX7 will be somewhere between 11-12l/100k, My Last XR8 was 15l/100k, my Last non turbo terri about 14l/100k....
I was looking at buying a CX7 for the wife so I had a read of some Mazda forums and owners were saying they were getting around 18L/100kms in the real world. That was the first model, not sure if the revision improves upon it.
She ended up insisting on a 4cyl Rav4 - averages about 11-12 in suburban driving. CX7 was still my first choice - great looking car/SUV.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #62
BrisVegas
Noobie

Quote:
As long as the child is over 6 or the parents are under 5'5"....
Ever tried getting a baby capsule behind the drivers or passenger seat of a small car with the correct safety distance to the seat and sat in one? My knees are on the dash in a Mazda 3 which is almost a medium sized car inside...
I agree, baby capsules are a problem in small and medium cars. We 'upsized' to the Focus when our second child came along, but I wasn't able to comfortably sit in front of the capsule for the period that we had it in the car. I'm 6'2" my wife is about 5'9" and she's only just ok. Now that my daughters are 2 & 4, they're both in Maxi-Riders and they fit quite comfortably in the Fiesta and Focus.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #63
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I was looking at buying a CX7 for the wife so I had a read of some Mazda forums and owners were saying they were getting around 18L/100kms in the real world. That was the first model, not sure if the revision improves upon it.
She ended up insisting on a 4cyl Rav4 - averages about 11-12 in suburban driving. CX7 was still my first choice - great looking car/SUV.
The new model is better apparently, but she does such low k's it doesn't matter, the appointments of this car and styling is outstanding, it really is a fantastic all round car.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #64
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

people have just given up on life

the daily commute use to be a pleasant drive to work and back, now its race to the green light, dodge traffic going through the red, brake for the idiot who didnt indicate but thinks he has right of way by just swerving into the next lane, police book people for being falsely dobbed in or swearing in public rather than people stealing, murdering, etc. rego costs too much, insurance has gone up, fuel is almost at $4 a litre, everything costs more ............ its the point of WHY BOTHER anymore!

ask someone "Ford or holden?" they say neither i own a beige toyota ....... or i dont really care

the car is dead, long time ago, look at the designs of the future its all that conservative reconstituted homogenised bubbly crap that embraces the pull back motor and impracticability (if thats a word) of storing batteries where your groceries should be just so you can now get to the shopping centre for the cost of plugging it into the wall. the simple fact is people DONT care anymore

the new decade billionaires will be those who own power stations, gone are the oil tycoons, the new money is in production of power, energiser will become the new super power in global consumer goods production and Ergon energy will be QLD's largest stakeholder of privately owned land since Columbus

thats just the truth

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #65
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I think there's one extremely unexplored point here: The Falcon is a Family-size car.

Now what is a Family?
I believe that the 'nuclear' family is an endangered species. Everyone has a mental image of either their family or another family, back in the day, of the Big Dad with his Big Ford for him to drive (because he's the man, of course) and the wife to be in the passenger seat and the three kids in the back.
And as the Big Dad, of course he's going to choose the falcon! He's not gonna be seen driving one of those squashy, slow jap econo-boxes. He's got his family's comfort and safety to think of! So the only logical choice is a Big Man's Car, for a Big Country, the perennial Big Dad car, the Ford Falcon, king of the road.

Now i'm exaggerating here a bit to illustrate a point, but you see where i'm coming from i'm sure. In these current days where it's odd to have a Man and his Wife and his three kids all before he turns 33, the shift in society has caused a shift in what is required for the Family-size Car.

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 07-01-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Mr Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 11:39 PM   #66
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I think there's one extremely unexplored point here: The Falcon is a Family-size car.

Now what is a Family?
I believe that the 'nuclear' family is an endangered species. Everyone has a mental image of either their family or another family, back in the day, of the Big Dad with his Big Ford for him to drive (because he's the man, of course) and the wife to be in the passenger seat and the three kids in the back.
And as the Big Dad, of course he's going to choose the falcon! He's not gonna be seen driving one of those squashy, slow jap econo-boxes. He's got his family's comfort and safety to think of! So the only logical choice is a Big Man's Car, for a Big Country, the perennial Big Dad car, the Ford Falcon, king of the road.

Now i'm exaggerating here a bit to illustrate a point, but you see where i'm coming from i'm sure. In these current days where it's odd to have a Man and his Wife and his three kids all before he turns 33, the shift in society has caused a shift in what is required for the Family-size Car.
Spot on mate. From what ive seen a family these days consists of a couple with a dog. Lucky to be a kid in there anywhere. And when they do, they skip the big sedan and go a 4x4...
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #67
bigdude1011

Quote:
In these current days where it's odd to have a Man and his Wife and his three kids all before he turns 33, the shift in society has caused a shift in what is required for the Family-size Car.
Plus, the divorce rate in Australia had a nice spike as of 2001, creating more split families, whose kids are now becoming preteens and teenagers, destroying the need for the Australian car.
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #68
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

That's right, guys. Apparently the birth rate at the moment is the highest it's been in many, many years! I dare say the birth rate to normal married Man & Wife is the lowest it's been however, as the Nuclear family is a dying breed.

One thing that doesn't support my theory however is the dying sales of LWB models. Now these LWB models (Statesman & and the now deceased Fairlane) are rarely bought for family needs, but more for your average fat 50 year old with a bit of cash. What are they buying now?
Old 08-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #69
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
That's right, guys. Apparently the birth rate at the moment is the highest it's been in many, many years! I dare say the birth rate to normal married Man & Wife is the lowest it's been however, as the Nuclear family is a dying breed.

One thing that doesn't support my theory however is the dying sales of LWB models. Now these LWB models (Statesman & and the now deceased Fairlane) are rarely bought for family needs, but more for your average fat 50 year old with a bit of cash. What are they buying now?
Possibly spending a little more and getting a Merc, BMW, Audi, Lexus or even have downsized into "medium" luxury cars.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #70
bigdude1011

Quote:
What are they buying now?
My Mum's uncle and aunt traded their NF Fairlane for a Focus Ghia a little while ago. While not Australian, at least it's still a ford
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #71
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

LWB sales are primarily to limo companies.... very few would end up as private sales.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #72
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i agree with the comment what is a family these days. its not ma pa and two rugrats.

Its now ma pa (and thier current partners, maybe adam and steve, adam and eve, a dog, cat, a kid whose emo and on goofballs)...
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #73
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
GT-P
then F6
then 350Z
and next year maybe a F6-E, GT-E or second hand M5
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #74
anto
Za Dom spremni

inetersting topic..
we actually did the opposite for the Mrs and went from BA Ghia v8 to mazda 6 luxury sports, and now to FG XR6 . She bought the Mazda thinking yeah it looks nice, right size for her being a smaller size person and better on fuel, which all makes sense... what she didnt realise was how much more comfortable a large car is and also how much effortless power there is. So after driving it for a month or so she hated it so bad that we had to move it on in favour of the ford, which she absolutely loves. The Mazda was bumpy, rattly, slow and the fuel economy wasnt " that" amazing conisdering..
As far as Im concerned there will never be another small car in our garage, whatever the brand.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #75
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:

There are so many things the public are wrong about, and car buying choices is one of them. I'll dare say the majority of people drive the wrong car.
I've been saying that for ages. I think most people should employ car enthusiasts to pick their cars LOL!. Ok maybe not (we dont' need everyone driving FPV F6s) but get some sort of knowledgable person to help you out. Or do some research online FFS...look at what has won awards, whats specs, test drive etc. While i realise being a car nut is not for everyone, the 'laid back' attitude some peopel have to car purchasing shocks me to be honest...especially when you consider the cost of a vehicle, its operating costs and more importantly, the amenity and safety they experience every minute their backside is in the seat/s....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #76
Mr Hardware

You're right Swordsman88, dead right. So many people buy cars on a whim (i'ts a pretty colour - it has a good amount of cup holders - i might want to go four wheel driving one day) yet they'll endure a cumbersome, difficult to handle car for 7 years whilst only touching the beach twice, and the greater TCO difference is 40 times renting a superior vehicle for the purposes of 4wd-ing.

Manufacturers have blurred the lines so, so much which has confused people, even just in the last 5 or 6 years. With cars like mazda 3 that are considered a small car only 15cm shorter and heavier than a VL commodore which is considered a large car, nobody knows anymore!

You would have had people furious about the prospect of a front wheel drive VL, but everyone is happy with a front-wheel drive mazda 3. "its okay because it's a small car" NO IT'S NOT!
Old 10-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #77
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The CX7 will be somewhere between 11-12l/100k

Perhaps downhill, in neutral with the engine off. The CX7 is shockingly bad on fuel, many people average 17 to 19 litres per 100km around town. You would be better off with a V8 Landcruiser for fuel use, honestly!
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #78
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Perhaps downhill, in neutral with the engine off. The CX7 is shockingly bad on fuel, many people average 17 to 19 litres per 100km around town. You would be better off with a V8 Landcruiser for fuel use, honestly!
Not the loaner we had, which was the previous model, 220k's over 3 days and it used 25l.....
The new model economy is better but im told to expect 14-16's till the first service.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #79
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Norm you must have done the SIDI test (heavy car with V6), wait until you try the real world, my neighbor has one it averages 16 + around town with traffic, load of kids etc...

He says it did well on a trip to the snow with all highway.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #80
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Norm you must have done the SIDI test (heavy car with V6), wait until you try the real world, my neighbor has one it averages 16 + around town with traffic, load of kids etc...

He says it did well on a trip to the snow with all highway.
Nick, was it series 1 or the 2010 model?

Old 10-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #81
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

It was the first series.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #82
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
It was the first series.
Cheers mate.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #83
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
This is why the FG does well. Big torquey motor so you don't have to rev the bum out of it to make it move.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #84
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

This thread is representative of my observation on my trip I did recently to NSW and driving an EL XR6 (memoirs of a young me driving my manual EF Falcon wagon) on the Great Western Highway to my old town.

It dawned on me that there was less old cars on the road but the even more upsetting fact (Remember I did year 12 in 1997) is the lack of Falcons and Commodores on the roads. Keep in mind that even in 1997 the sales of the local cars were kept alive by fleet turnover.

Seems the late model Mazda 3, Mitsu Lancer VRX, Honda Civic and the Toyota Corolla are ruling the roads, in other words cars under 2.0L. My perception is that people are not short on money but rather choosing their new wheels differently.
Even younguns typically doing up these small-mid cars with alloy wheels and tint (P plate rule influenced this as well as insurance costs and ultimately petrol).

Seems the day of defending yr fathers honour in the school yard by driving a Household Holden or a Family Ford are well and truely over. I think people see these cars are crud, wasteful, yobbish and backward.
Intrestingly I counted on one hand the number of "late-ish" VTII/AU and newer V8 Falcon/Commodores during the trip up.

Seems maybe my XR8 is indeed rare these days, and I have to say thats fine by me. : :
Old 11-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #85
cool65
carefactor zero

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont
There's a lot more discretionary purchases. Novated leasing took care of that. That's why the swing with commodore and Falcon models is towards the higher spec models and not the fleet specials.

Residuals. If you're spending 40K on a car why bother buying a commodore omega or falcon XT which won't be worth squat at the end. (This is why the model mix is skewed towards XR6 and SS models at the moment they have better retained value.)

Going forward Holden and Ford need to focus on the things that matter which are:

1. Running costs (either advertising or new technologies ie: I4T)
2. Residuals
3. Dealer network.
4. Promoting the USP of their car. 6 or v8 performance with 4 cyl economy, a mileage marathon, heritage, ability to handle rough conditions etc.
When i was a litttle takka, most mates dad's were reps for someone or other, where the firms purchasing manager said here is your new car (insert ford/holden). Go out there and sell our product.
With leap forward in communications in 2010, customers mostly get p$ssed off seeing reps, and it's all done by fax/ phone/ teleconference etc. with tens of thousands of reps cars not required these days. As mentioned with novated leases, the purchasing manager just goes "you have $40k or $60k to spend" and the MULTI BRAND DEALERSHIPS (which most now are) just want your money as they no longer have the same brand loyalty to the manufacturers - read $$$ margin on imports !!
It used to be that you dealt with the same car sales guy for life and now it's a different faceless world out there kiddies.
Most threads on this forum dealing with car salesmen are negative and if we could just order the damn car over the internet w/o the b/s we would.
cool65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #86
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

From an Age report on how Mercedes was dropping their A class and keeping their B class car

“That is despite booming sales of small cars, which are being bought as family cars by buyers seeking out more economical options.
Since the mid-1990s light- and small-car sales have almost doubled, and now account for one in three new-vehicle sales and almost half the passenger car market.”
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #87
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool65
It used to be that you dealt with the same car sales guy for life and now it's a different faceless world out there kiddies.
Most threads on this forum dealing with car salesmen are negative and if we could just order the damn car over the internet w/o the b/s we would.

Yup got it in one there too. I get ****ed with any telemarketing and hawking. Even though I might be interested or even want that product, soon as some pushy twit starts flapping thier chops I'm not interested.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #88
The Snout

^ It's because you know they aren't interested in what's best for you really, they are only interested in meeting their weekly quota.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post