Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #61
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Ford targets Toyota with Aussie wagon - T6 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by munners
What is it that makes the I6 such a good engine? Or at least, why is it held in such high regard? When you look at the specs it seems ok but nothing super advanced or technical like say the EB in its various guises? And further, why is it not possible to build the V6 engine here should FoA decide to drop the I6?

Munners
It would require a massive investment in the engine and casting plants to switch to a V6, everything on the line is set up for an inline engine, not a V engine. Basically every automated nutrunner or machining tool would need to be modified or replaced to work on a V engine.

And when Ohio has such a massive build capacity and the benefits of economies of scale, it doesn't make a skerrick of sense, especially with I6 build numbers to drop down around a pitiful 140 a day soon, the lowest its ever been by a country mile.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #62
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
What is it that makes the I6 such a good engine? Or at least, why is it held in such high regard?
Simple, straightforward, elegant engine... been in production in one form or another since the fifties. Produces best in class torque at low rpm's. Easy to fix, it's been in Australia so long any mechanic would know it inside out. And it's built right here in Australia... and no where else.

If our country ever laid claim to it's own unique engine... this is it. Oh... and the Clevo.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #63
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
What is it that makes the I6 such a good engine? Or at least, why is it held in such high regard?
Powerful, strong, reliable, fuel efficient (relative for its size) and will go forever.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #64
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Powerful, strong, reliable, fuel efficient (relative for its size) and will go forever.
Yes... these points too.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #65
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
If our country ever laid claim to it's own unique engine... this is it. Oh... and the Clevo.

How is the Cleveland engine, designed and built in the US, an engine we can claim as our own?

We only took the design and slightly modified it to be built here.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #66
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

How is the Cleveland engine, designed and built in the US, an engine we can claim as our own?

We only took the design and slightly modified it to be built here.
Because as I understand. There was no 302 Cleveland until FoA built it. It was cheaper back then to build it here off the 351 Cleveland block instead of importing the Windsor 302. And these were locally designed heads in their entirety. It became a whole new engine, and a cult following.

The 302C is I think... an Aussie engine. Could probably even claim Miami as our own too.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #67
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Wasn't much difference between them, crank and rods in the bottom end really.

I guess 2V heads were pretty much australia only but it was only really smaller ports and different combustion chambers design, with everything else in the head similar or the same as 4V. Not enough IMO to call it all new.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #68
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Wasn't much difference between them, crank and rods in the bottom end really.

I guess 2V heads were pretty much australia only but it was only really smaller ports and different combustion chambers design, with everything else in the head similar or the same as 4V. Not enough IMO to call it all new.
It was uniquely Aussie though.

And overseas they are known as "Australian Cleveland heads". So it is unique to us, and can consider it ours.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #69
Bossxr8
Peter Car

But all they did was take the existing design and change it to suit, like reducing port and valve size and changing chamber shape. The basic external dimensions are all USA.

But I see where your coming from, but I don't consider it significantly different to call it 100% uniquely australian.
Old 17-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #70
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Getting this thread back on topic, what does everyone think the chances of a short wheelbase (3 door) version of the Everest would be? Think of it as the spiritual successor of the Bronco, or even a Maverick (nee Patrol) SWB version.

Note that I have seen a few 3 door Pajeros and Prados about recently so there is a market out there for solid short wheel base vehicles.

I'd love one of the photoshop gurus to bash togther something just to see what it might look like. I'd even go as far as to suggest that they use the F-150 Raptor grill as it looks closest to the original 1960's Bronco that's so loved in the states....
Old 17-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #71
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquahead2001
Getting this thread back on topic, what does everyone think the chances of a short wheelbase (3 door) version of the Everest would be? Think of it as the spiritual successor of the Bronco, or even a Maverick (nee Patrol) SWB version.

Note that I have seen a few 3 door Pajeros and Prados about recently so there is a market out there for solid short wheel base vehicles.

I'd love one of the photoshop gurus to bash togther something just to see what it might look like. I'd even go as far as to suggest that they use the F-150 Raptor grill as it looks closest to the original 1960's Bronco that's so loved in the states....
Buckleys. Those 3 door Prados and Pajeros aren't setting the world on fire with sales. In fact, I think Mitsubishi discontinued theirs?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 17-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #72
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I think a shorter wheelbase & lighter version of the chassis could work well as a platform for an SUV and also a light-duty short bed single cab pickup version to replace the US Ranger
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #73
munners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Buckleys. Those 3 door Prados and Pajeros aren't setting the world on fire with sales. In fact, I think Mitsubishi discontinued theirs?
Agrred. The problem has always been that the 3 or 5 door versions cost almost the same. Or a 3 door version isn't 3/5 of the price of a 5 door. Most people don't bother with the SWB because they know come re sale time they will take it in the neck!

Munners
munners is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #74
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Agrred. The problem has always been that the 3 or 5 door versions cost almost the same. Or a 3 door version isn't 3/5 of the price of a 5 door. Most people don't bother with the SWB because they know come re sale time they will take it in the neck!

Munners
That, and you simply don't have the flexibility of uses with the 3 door.