Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #61
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was a pretty good day today, but not as busy as we would have liked. we reckon we fed about 150 people, but still have heaps of meat left. A massive thanks goes out to the folks at Bryan Byrt Ford for the BBQ Trailer, smacxr8 for the esky, Dazzler, geckoGT, DASH GT, MS33, Scott and Scott's mate for putting this all together for today. To have this put together and competed in under 24hrs is just phenomenal!
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #62
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Well done guys
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #63
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Well that's 150 people who got something in their stomachs from some very big hearted, generous people.

Well done guys!
Old 15-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #64
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I'm still able to kick in some money if its needed.
Just PM guys
Old 15-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #65
XR5T_Brissy
4 x 4 Fanatic

Sunday, so far (may need more):

Scott
DASH GT
DJM83
The Monty - Have 25kg mixed sausages, steak, chicken and pork.
Col (mate of mine)
XR5T Brissy - I can bring a mid sized esky, and will pick up ice on the way.
ARB Bash Plates
ARB Custom Installed Rear Work Lights And Switches
BF Goodrich All Terrains T/A KO2 285/70/17
EGR Lockable Soft Tonneau Cover
Uniden UH8080S UHF CB Radio and 5w Antenna
Hema HN7 Navigation
Rhino Rack Lockable Roof Racks
XR5T_Brissy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #66
The Monty
Just slidin'

Have we got enough of all the other stuff we need left over from today?
Old 15-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #67
Paxton
Cobblers!

You guys are legends. I'd love to be able to tear myself away and help out, but I'm away from Tuesday.

Good Luck, and take care. Australians have a great habit of helping out in dire situations, and this just shows this.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #68
Scott

Hey Josh,

We have food covered - I think we took around 500 snags there and have come home with about 300. We need ice and probably some wheelie eskis would be great as the blokes were just walking around handing out cold drinks for a fair chunk of the day.

More bottled water may be handy but DASHGT would be best to ask on that as he is the drinks man.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #69
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Ok is the meet point still elite again tommorrow?
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 15-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #70
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Ok is the meet point still elite again tommorrow?
No Dallas, believe it or not but that area has been helped with respect to emptying and cleaning from what we could make out.

Meet point will come together in the next few hours, looking like Mt Ommaney shops I think with a view to setting up in Jindalee/Sinnamon Park areas.
Old 15-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #71
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Awesome day today, instills respect in the Australian people to see everyone band together, all ages, all cultures, all shapes and sizes just pitch in and get the job done.

The amazing thing for me was driving around with a gerni and generator in the boot, offering to leave it with them for the day. The most common response was "we are pretty right with the hose, others must need it more". Some of these people had water marks up to the roof. Don't worry, the gerni did earn its keep. The other moving thing for the day was despite the loss and adversity these people are facing, they still had a sense of humour. This country rocks!

A big thanks to all those that helped out today, 150 people fed and watered in that small area is monumental, that was 150 smiling faces we saw.

To those that were there today, you are legends and good luck, merry feeding to those out there tomorrow.
Old 15-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #72
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
No Dallas, believe it or not but that area has been helped with respect to emptying and cleaning from what we could make out.

Meet point will come together in the next few hours, looking like Mt Ommaney shops I think with a view to setting up in Jindalee/Sinnamon Park areas.
Ok mate no worries.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 15-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #73
Scott

posted this in the other thread for those not reading two

Great day out with the BBQ today - we've still got a heap of food so tomorrow is a goer, even been getting calls this afternoon asking if I'm doing Monday too.... not sure yet.

My count, based on bread usage is that we fed a smidge over 180 people today. Lots of hungry people out there and the mess they were living in and trying to clean was epic.

I had one or two people throughout the day whinge about the fact that the council was still sending volunteers and they didn't need them - comments about poor management etc but I will tell you this - if you're complaining about having too much help by 2pm on the first day of the official clean up, the council has done a spectacular job.

It sort of looks un-organised, but there was definitely a well communicated plan to every house in the are of Rocklea that we were. Every house dumped everything on the nature strip, blokes in bobcats worked like ants getting it into a never-ending stream of trucks who just kept taking the crap away.

As you would expect, people were very happy to see us, particularly in one street that geckoGT was keen to hit. The people in that street had lost pretty much everything, they were not wealthy people by any stretch and were made up a mix of a few Aussies, a few Islanders and the majority appeared Indian.

All were very well mannered, polite and were very gracious in accepting our meagre support. At one stage I reckon there was a line of around 30 people at the back of the ute and there was PLENTY of sangas, cupcakes, water and soft-drinks to go around.

We would have liked to give away more but I guess we have to remember that the less we handed over, the better the overall situation really was. At the end of the day that is what this is all about - pitching in like every one else is to try and make this bloody miserable time a little better for everyone.

I can tell you for a fact, some of the people we encountered through the day had their first food or water out of our setup - I can only imagine that they must have felt pretty alone before hand.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, I've got snags to get into the fridge!!
Old 15-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #74
XR5T_Brissy
4 x 4 Fanatic

Thats awesome guys, well done. Cant wait to chip in and help out tomorrow
ARB Bash Plates
ARB Custom Installed Rear Work Lights And Switches
BF Goodrich All Terrains T/A KO2 285/70/17
EGR Lockable Soft Tonneau Cover
Uniden UH8080S UHF CB Radio and 5w Antenna
Hema HN7 Navigation
Rhino Rack Lockable Roof Racks
XR5T_Brissy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #75
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

has anyone got any pics of the good community spirit shown today?
Old 15-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #76
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are a few pics, Dazzler has some, and so does Mike.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #77
The Monty
Just slidin'

Scott, Ill have to bring the meat I have, I have no room for it here, and I cant keep it in Eski's in my kitchen, lol.

And what time are we meeting in the morning?
Old 15-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #78
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Thanks for all the help today guys. Just finished washing the trailer. I will have to look at drink supplies, we have a fair amount left, ICE will be my big concern, it just doesnt last in the heat...

I would hope to meet around 9 - 930 tomorrow so we can setup early in the day. We will need to finish up shop probably about 4 pm so ic an get home and clean the trailer inside and out before I give it back to BBF on Monday..
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #79
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Red face

I cant believe i brought the wheeled esky home ... I so didnt think of tomorrow , someone call me in the morning where you are and i will drop it off with some more ice on my way to Caloundra..
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #80
The Monty
Just slidin'

Daz can you drop it off at my house, I have too much meat to fit in my esky, lol. Its only one turn off the highway.
Old 15-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #81
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Daz we should be okay for eskis...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #82
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Daz can you drop it off at my house, I have too much meat to fit in my esky, lol. Its only one turn off the highway.
Would you like it tonight mate ?
Sorry about the pics guys one of our "Visitors" seems to have confused there phone charger with my Blackberry cord that connects to the computer I will try to upload direct to Facebook from my phone then save them to my puter and link em' that way ??
Old 15-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #83
Scott

Default Day 2 Thread

DAY 2 (SUNDAY) thread has been started HERE.

Please move any discussion about Day 2, including meeting locations and gear details etc to that thread.
Old 15-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #84
ms33
Ford Hoarder

Well done today guys, outstanding effort to get something so well organised in such a short amount of time Scott, Nice to meet you all and look foward to round 2 tomorrow,

Ive got about 4 loaves of bread still in the car that ill bring down tomorrow, ill be leaving around 8.30 and if any members on the northern side of Brisbane need a lift dont hesitate in asking.
ms33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #85
smacxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glad to hear it went well. How big an area did you end up covering, did you do a few streets or just stick to the one? We were over helping clean out the exotic fish/pet shop in Rocklea and it was quite simply scary how much was totally destroyed. Holy crap the smell! Dead aquarium fish and frozen fish food in freezers that obviously hadnt been on for a few days. Think of the worst smell youve ever smelt and times it by.....not sure how much.....a lot! It really was a great feeling though to help those that have literally lost everything.
smacxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #86
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms33
Well done today guys, outstanding effort to get something so well organised in such a short amount of time Scott, Nice to meet you all and look foward to round 2 tomorrow.
Very noteworthy contribution today mate, thanks to you and your partner for making the trip, bolstering supplies and dragging the eskys around!

Good suggestion on picking up Nth Siders, the less cars the better. Perhaps drop a PM to DJM83 and see if you can't work something out??

Well done today!
Old 15-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #87
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Well done today guys, outstanding effort to get something so well organised in such a short amount of time Scott, Nice to meet you all and look foward to round 2 tomorrow,

Ive got about 4 loaves of bread still in the car that ill bring down tomorrow, ill be leaving around 8.30 and if any members on the northern side of Brisbane need a lift dont hesitate in asking.
PM Sent
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 15-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #88
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacxr8
Glad to hear it went well. How big an area did you end up covering, did you do a few streets or just stick to the one?
I don't do seafood

Thanks for the big esky today - was a real lifesaver and got put to good work.

We setup in one spot that was a little back from the action, we really didn't want to be in anyone's way with our small contribution. The other blokes picked the spot as I was stuck in the dreadful traffic so points to them for figuring it out!

We got quite a bit of foot traffic from volunteers that we going from area-to-area, then the lads pulling the eskys around, geckoGT in particular, noted a pocket of homes up a long dead end street that were being overlooked. We went mobile and took the whole setup to them and fed a whole extra swag of people.
Old 15-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #89
ms33
Ford Hoarder

Thanks Scott appreciate it mate!, oh and i just cleaned the car and noticed another three cartons or water in the boot. Daz that eskie on wheels was a success.
ms33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #90
Road Games

Quote:
Thanks Scott appreciate it mate!, oh and i just cleaned the car and noticed another three cartons or water in the boot. Daz that eskie on wheels was a success.
Sweet deal ... just took the eskys and some ice back up to Josh .. And got some prawn's for my trouble

Thanks for your assistance today champ..