Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #61
Manix77

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
I just can't see how Australia can defend itself - no matter how much we spend. With a population of ~20mil, even if every single able-bodied person were to enlist, we couldn't defend such a massive area from a sustained attack.

Maybe I'm missing something and someone more knowledgeable can enlighten me.
Actually our geographic/strategic circumstances are the opposite. Defending mainland Australia is relatively easy. Anyone who's ever served/worked in northern Australia can tell you that the environment up there is our best defence. If an adversary landed in Darwin and tried to attack south they'd have huge land based supply lines along ONE ROAD! If they landed in a southern sea port they'd have huge sea/air based supply lines with plenty of opportunity for interdiction. That said if we don't have a reasonable military then we're vulnerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Point taken, but you've gotta ask the question - why aren't there more MBT's in A-stan right now? Most if not all of the coalition members there have them in service but not in service in A-stan! I've seen pictures of Dutch tanks that are currently there (look funny covered in fabric and anti-rpg skirts all over them) but that is all.
Most of the troops in Afghanistan are special forces. Those nations that have conventional forces there like the Dutch and Canadians back them up with tanks (Leopard 2 in both cases). Given that the Taliban are now mobilising in larger organised groups (because they get trounced by small special forces patrols) I think you'll see more forces using heavy fighting vehicles, check this link out.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/ne...tury__Feature_

regards

Manix

Cool White Ranger 4x2 Crew Cab 3.0l TDi, Tray liner...and maybe one day....T6 Ranger XLT
Manix77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #62
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

18Mb, Pdf. Read ladies. (You can save this).
http://www.defenselink.mil/pubs/pdfs...eport_2009.pdf

http://www.pacom.mil/

See also;-
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/news....aspx?id=53559
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 03:37 PM   #63
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Indonesia is also a worry.
Not concerned:-)

Pt1 - US/UK view only.

Pt2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKOkm...eature=related

Pt3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0b4U...eature=related

Spec Ops:-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhN7f...eature=related

Ditto - 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUEl2...eature=related
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #64
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPOCSM
As for DU ammo - we have not used it since 1992with the last weapon in the navy to use it being the 20mm CIWS Phalanx system for AAW (anti air warfare for those who no abla...) - however we still have to clean up the discarded sabot from the flight deck (on the FFG's anyhow!!). The rounds now use tungsten and/or cobalt in the projectiles so still pretty lethal.
They're tungsten. I have one on my desk.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #65
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPete
The government have just announced a huge increase in defence spending.
The Navy seem to be getting the most attention.
I think its a great move, not sure how we are going to pay for it all but its reasurring to see our defence forces getting some overdue funding.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin
Another idiot idea , those of us old enough to remember a red under every bed realise how stupid such spending is from a govco which certainly is close to being tossed out . Being so far from the rest of the world we have little to fear that sinking a few junks wont fix and one doesn't need anything more than a gun barge to do that .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #66
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
Same here, although I'm the opposite on the spending.

I just can't see how Australia can defend itself - no matter how much we spend. With a population of ~20mil, even if every single able-bodied person were to enlist, we couldn't defend such a massive area from a sustained attack.

Maybe I'm missing something and someone more knowledgeable can enlighten me.
Correct , we have fewer defense personal than many yank cites cops , Au is with this coastline basically indefensible with our budget bwyond a mild resistance with so few gus in the private sector
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #67
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
Road warrior, i believe the terrain in which the fighting is being done is mountainous where a MBT isnt required, look what happened to Russia when it had mechanised divisions is A-Stan ;)
Exactly. Also:

Not too many places an MBT can hide there, especially in relation to the 2nd pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPOCSM
The decks will be rated to VTOL to be able to support other navy/air forces aircraft - the steel is the same as what the Nimitz although not quite as thick. HR30 is its designation I think. It is the same stuff we build our hulls out of.

Hooroo
Not doubting you at all, but what I was saying is that the JSF/F35 variants that we have already committed to buy, are NOT the STOVL/VTOL version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Correct , we have fewer defense personal than many yank cites cops , Au is with this coastline basically indefensible with our budget bwyond a mild resistance with so few gus in the private sector
Huh? Unless it's the US or China trying to invade us we have the capacity right now to send any potential aggressor packing.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #68
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
In my opinion, the Leopard 2A6 is just as good as the Abrams with the added benefit of being able to operate the turret with the engine off!
The 2A6 Sir is a Tier 1 MBT, built to destroy Russian MBT's on the Central Plains of Eastern Germany. No need for that here.

There was NEVER any requirement for the 2A6 with it's tank killing capacity (and it's huge cost) for the ADF when the project was put forward.

The Abrams AIM decision was made on the basis of inter operatibility with the US M1A1 / 2 and the 'el cheapo' price offered by the US.

I'm tipping Aussie tankers will crew US Abrams' on an overseas operation in the not to distant future.... a political decision.

Our tankers, their Abrams tanks on operation......

Leopards would have cost twice as much !!

In the end the decision came down to the Abrams OR the 2A4 variant from the Swiss (Pz 87), the cost was the clincher, as well as the political needs..
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #69
Manix77

Quote:
Exactly. Also:

Not too many places an MBT can hide there, especially in relation to the 2nd pic.
The ground in the first pick will restrict speed but I'd be happy to take a tank troop into the terrain in either photo against any of the threats in that region. There are plenty of undulations to hide in, in fact, the second photo is not unlike parts of Puckapunyal range where Australian tank crews train.

Remember that the terrain you have to negotiate is the same as the bad guys. Imagine being chased down by a troop of tanks in that country, where would the bad guys hide?!?

It may be stating the obvious, but an MBT will last significantly longer in this environment than a bloke wearing just body armour! Not to mention the fact that the tank crew will be able to see and accurately engage targets well out to 3km +.

Cool White Ranger 4x2 Crew Cab 3.0l TDi, Tray liner...and maybe one day....T6 Ranger XLT
Old 03-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #70
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Problem is Manix, the bad guys in this place don't fight like 'normal' bad guys. They use unconventional tactics because they are, in essence and their very nature, unconventional. Makes it very dangerous ground for MBT crews. Not to mention anyone who is deployed there. That's just my view however.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 11:08 PM   #71
Manix77

Quote:
Problem is Manix, the bad guys in this place don't fight like 'normal' bad guys. They use unconventional tactics because they are, in essence and their very nature, unconventional. Makes it very dangerous ground for MBT crews. Not to mention anyone who is deployed there. That's just my view however.
G'Day Road Warrior

They're exactly the bad guys I'm thinking off.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #72
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
I agree with this post - it's not waves of Russian/Chinese infantry/AFVs that MBT's will encounter, it's a 2-3 man group with an RPG-7/LAW type weapons, who are indistinguishable from civilians.

Also, the current conflicts are centered around built up urban areas, where, as WW2 experience shows us, tanks are very vulnerable.

The Israelis have some interesting & useful ideas regarding AFV design whcih have not been adopted by the rest of the world; the Merkava has it's engine and gearbox mounted forward, idea being to protect the crew above all else. They're also fitted with internally loaded 60mm mortars for anti-personnel use, to save firing the 120mm unnecessarily. That is the sort of thing needed in Afghanistan/Iraq, not APFSDS DU penetrators with prodigious range.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #73
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
I agree with this post - it's not waves of Russian/Chinese infantry/AFVs that MBT's will encounter, it's a 2-3 man group with an RPG-7/LAW type weapons, who are indistinguishable from civilians.

Also, the current conflicts are centered around built up urban areas, where, as WW2 experience shows us, tanks are very vulnerable.

The Israelis have some interesting & useful ideas regarding AFV design whcih have not been adopted by the rest of the world; the Merkava has it's engine and gearbox mounted forward, idea being to protect the crew above all else. They're also fitted with internally loaded 60mm mortars for anti-personnel use, to save firing the 120mm unnecessarily. That is the sort of thing needed in Afghanistan/Iraq, not APFSDS DU penetrators with prodigious range.
The Abrams has an Urban upgrade called TUSK.

I hear the ADF has been "playing around" with some of these features on a couple of the tanks we have.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #74
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

[QUOTE=4Vman] and how is our navy relevant? QUOTE]

Its relevant because the modern submarine is considered the most potent weapon of any nations entire military inventory with the ability to remain completely undetected, gather and intercept intelligence, strike land tartgets with everything up to and including nuclear weapons, engage and destroy all water based craft including aircraft carriers and the ability to ensure an enemies fleet, even up to a battle fleet, will not enter waters where they cannot be absolutley certain there is no enemy submarine presence. i.e you own the water.

I know their not as sexy as JSF35 strike fighters etc, but the bottom line is a modern submarine is the most powerful force on earth at the moment. Having 12 of them if they can be fully crewed would certainly provide a massive deterant to any opposition both at home and abroad.