Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #61
CQB-241
Car tragic

Default Re: How to stop Callum's fb rip offs

I am not a fan of people just "taking" original content (pictures, recordings, text, etc) from one location then presenting it as taken as their own. It is called plagiarism and is the lowest form of presentation.

In saying that, the page is, apart from this forum, pretty much the main outlet for images and information about FGX out there as there is bugger-all in the mainstream and no paid advertising to speak of.

IF the owner of the FB page acknowledged his sources (ford forums.com.au and user name of poster) and had the decency to leave watermarks and only shop out numberplates there would be little or no recourse with regards stuff visible on the public areas of this forum. The FB page, while promoting the product, is clearly done out of enthusiasm and would likely fall under the terms of fair use of publicly posted images. That he doesn't acknowledge sources, posts stuff by people who don't want it posted, reportedly loses watermarks but leaves personally identifying info is mostly foolish but really only opens him to accusation of plagiarism based on non-citation of source and watermark removal...the rest is just immaturity/bad manners.

The use by the FB page of material off PRIVATE areas of this forum, ie areas only available to members, is something else. Use of that material on a open platform demands permission, not just acknowledgement, and is otherwise guided by all the other provisos with regards good manners and fair use as the openly public information.

Quite frankly it would make sense for the forum's admins to come to some arrangement with him with regards the above. Stomp on him if he can't honour an agreement but carrots work better than sticks though the stick should be visible. It does seem that ford forums.com.au is the major source of accurate info about the car (reliably preceding FoA with pretty much everything) though there is a fair dose of conjecture too. The FB page is, for an enthusiast-driven vehicle, the major source of promotion outside of the enthusiast forums and does address what irks a lot of us who care about Australian cars and Aussie Fords in particular, a lack of public promotion.

My 2c worth.
CQB-241 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2015, 06:52 PM   #62
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose we are all different, I can't understand what the fuss is about, but that's me, other are more sensitive than me I guess.

To even suggest that this forums mods get involved in policing what is being posted on facebook as posted by CQB-241 has got to be just about the dumbest thing I have read on this forum.

My only suggestion is that if you are seriously so angered by this sort of thing, there is a really simple thing you can do.

DO NOT POST YOUR PICTURES ON THE INTERNET.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #63
CQB-241
Car tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I suppose we are all different, I can't understand what the fuss is about, but that's me, other are more sensitive than me I guess.

To even suggest that this forums mods get involved in policing what is being posted on facebook as posted by CQB-241 has got to be just about the dumbest thing I have read on this forum.

My only suggestion is that if you are seriously so angered by this sort of thing, there is a really simple thing you can do.

DO NOT POST YOUR PICTURES ON THE INTERNET.
Dumb is being a troll.

I'm not offended directly by the page as I have put up no FGX pics, plenty are who have had their intellectual property lifted are. I don't like people claiming someone else's work as their own or failing to ask (I suspect most would be happy to say yes if asked).

My post was pointing out:
1. There is nothing you can really do if on public parts of the forum though common decency dictates asking.
2. There is recourse where stuff is made public or watermarks erased. Would you bother, probably not, but there is more protection.

I won't post pics with plates on car or noting location BECAUSE this sort of stuff goes on unfettered...doesn't mean it is right and doesn't make calling it out dumb.

Lack of respect for intellectual property is what has put the West on the back foot vs China and the developing world and is the bane of academia and the arts too. Respect for it is important and fair use provisions generous provided sources are cited.

I think the forum has a responsibility to address it directly as we know who is doing it and would hope that most would be happy to have pics shared with appropriate credit as we all share an interest in the same thing....Australian Fords.
CQB-241 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #64
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

amazing amount of sooks having a sook

no bs
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #65
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

He needs a good gearboxing

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2015, 08:33 PM   #66
Uwish

XBv8mmm! Who gives a F@@@?
Such petty stuff to be worrying about in the scheme of things
Uwish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2015, 09:45 PM   #67
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis View Post
He needs a good gearboxing
I had to google what that means...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=gearboxing

richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #68
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I don't think you ever ventured into the 'FG X, The Last EVER Falcon - Picture & Discussion Thread' thread.

If you had you would see some of the posts from callum asking questions, then posting what AFF members here had told him on his FB site making out like it came from him.

This was along with members renderings and Spymans photos (before the FGX was released). He eventually gave credit to the original posters (after forum mods got involved !!) but he seems to be a slow learner.

The main point here is that it is simple courtesy to credit the original poster/photographer/artist.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:59 AM   #69
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah OK...what damages are you proposing to sue for?
The court can impose additional damages for flagrant infringement of copyright.

This is as clear cut a case as any. Just because no action may come out of it doesn't mean it isn't copyright infringement. The only question is how much is the copyright owner willing to spend on enforcing it.

Quote:
Lets sue someone for posting a photo on fb that I already posted on fb too..
As said, copyright owner can post the photo anywhere he wants. No one else can.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #70
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
The court can impose additional damages for flagrant infringement of copyright.

This is as clear cut a case as any. Just because no action may come out of it doesn't mean it isn't copyright infringement. The only question is how much is the copyright owner willing to spend on enforcing it.
Punitive damages are rarely imposed in Australia, they are reserved for extreme case of meliceous and/or criminal intent.

I'm pretty certain as 16 year old kid posting a picture on facebook does not fit that criterea. You'd be lucky not the get thrown out of court in 30 seconds flat with a charge of contemt for stupidly wasting the courts time.
This user likes this post:
Old 02-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #71
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

blood hell! ive just read this...twice. so glad I don't bookface or disgrace book!!
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2015, 06:11 PM   #72
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesgift View Post
blood hell! ive just read this...twice. so glad I don't bookface or disgrace book!!
I was trawling around Facebook and found one group that had posted some pics of my car. I got in touch to congratulate him on his fine taste in automobiles;)
Old 02-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #73
u2canb12
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising cruises and keeping the events in the spirit of the forums 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I was trawling around Facebook and found one group that had posted some pics of my car. I got in touch to congratulate him on his fine taste in automobiles;)
Hey Chris, what about the back page of the Warwick Newspaper..............how dare they :-)
u2canb12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #74
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2canb12 View Post
Hey Chris, what about the back page of the Warwick Newspaper..............how dare they :-)
LOL, that's true. We never did those promo appearances either.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:06 PM   #75
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi , my name's dave and I stole my avatar pic from the internet . please forgive me I don't want to go to hell and be flamed !!!!
Old 03-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #76
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

"These days, its not easy to find a perfectly aggressive looking vehicle with power to match.

With the new Falcon XR series, we got it right."

Posts like this he puts up annoys me... Hes NOT Ford Australia!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #77
xbgt75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was wandering through a FB page on XB GTs and found pics of both of mine on it. Haha. Pretty sure the pics came from AFF. I was a little taken back at first but then answered some comments and added some details. Its just a photo of my car, not my car.
https://www.facebook.com/FalconXbGt

I'm in IT and have been using forums from even before the Internet was born. In my 25 odd years of being glued to a PC monitor the change in culture I have noticed the most is how easily people are "outraged" regarding content on the Internet. It started with email. Email for the most part does not relay emotion or a persons tone. It is just words that are VERY often misconstrued. Then came forums and the biggies like FB and Twitter. Similar problem and add the trolls and flamers and you create "the outraged person". The outraged person does things they would not do in person. They rant and rave (via keyboard only of course) yet don't really take action or achieve anything. Look at the photo of Glenn McGrath hunting just recently. The media had a ball over the hundred or so people "outraged" at his behaviour yet without the internet most these people would have done absolutely nothing. Probably would not have even been outraged.
Thanks to instant media and the ability to contribute to these things, we, as people, are losing tolerance for almost anything that doesn't conform to our public profile. Its very sad and a shame.
Along with our lack of tolerance comes the demand for respect and the feeling of entitlement... The sooner we all chill out the better.
xbgt75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #78
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
"These days, its not easy to find a perfectly aggressive looking vehicle with power to match.

No he isn't. He is actually promoting the Falcon.
Obviously working with so much hate for a 16yo....yet people still have his paged liked.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #79
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
No he isn't. He is actually promoting the Falcon.
Obviously working with so much hate for a 16yo....yet people still have his paged liked.
Only because a fair amount of people that probably like that page think hes Ford Australia...

I don't like it, he pushes the boundaries too far.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #80
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

My LC Lancer pics are all over the net including on Wikipedia. I don't feel the least bit violated.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...80LCLancer.jpg

And if anyone wants to gearbox me a new 6 speed ZF would be nice but I wouldn't even mind another 4 speed BTR.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #81
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My XA GT is on GT club oz site in the paint codes section..

I should really sue them for a million dollars.

Nice picture they stole though
Old 08-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #82
GSP07R

Not the same as car pics.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/on...-1227253456636
GSP07R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #83
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I welcome anyone to use pics of my ute without my consent but only if it's used in the right context. But how does one police what is the right and wrong context on the internet?
See...When someone posts a picture online whether it be via social media or a forum or anything for that matter the picture then becomes public property therefore open to theft and misuse.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #84
nstg8a

I asked when we would get to see a pic of admins fgx. No reply yet.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #85
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So who is Callum? and is there a link to his FB page

I couldn't care about the photos, I figure if they're posted here they'e out in the world for all to see anyway

I'm just curious as to what all the fuss is about

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #86
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
So who is Callum? and is there a link to his FB page

I couldn't care about the photos, I figure if they're posted here they'e out in the world for all to see anyway

I'm just curious as to what all the fuss is about
I think this is the page causing all the outrage
https://www.facebook.com/SupportTheN...Falcon?fref=ts
Old 10-03-2015, 12:21 AM   #87
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Ohh l3rd world issues !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2015, 11:38 PM   #88
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post

You won't like tonight's one then....
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 03:33 AM   #89
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Punitive damages are rarely imposed in Australia, they are reserved for extreme case of meliceous and/or criminal intent.

I'm pretty certain as 16 year old kid posting a picture on facebook does not fit that criterea. You'd be lucky not the get thrown out of court in 30 seconds flat with a charge of contemt for stupidly wasting the courts time.
Obviously you're speaking from your vast experience in the subject matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcore
See...When someone posts a picture online whether it be via social media or a forum or anything for that matter the picture then becomes public property therefore open to theft and misuse.
No, it does not. Just because you want your pictures to be shared doesn't mean everyone else does. People have the right to decide where their photos get posted.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #90
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Obviously you're speaking from your vast experience in the subject matter
Yep....