Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #61
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Could we go further and probe into what vehicle they were driving? I'm just curious.
It would be interesting but as far as I can find these stats are not readily available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Now id like to know if the reduction in risk by 26 years old is because of 8 years of driving experience or 8 years of maturing....
My opinion would be the reduction is due to the 8 years of driving experience for female drivers and the 8 years of maturing would be a huge factor in the young male related deaths.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 12:49 PM   #62
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
It would be interesting but as far as I can find these stats are not readily available.
Yeah I have tried before. If there is nothing to hide they sure make it hard to find these things out. But I am not too good at searching to begin with.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 12:59 PM   #63
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
DRCook I don't agree with the passenger limit (This would only put more P-platers onto the road and stop people from having and Designated Drivers on nights out). Cerfuw I don't like as I come home from work at 1am.

The 5Star safety car is a good idea but a 5star car is MORE of a hazard on the road unless all other cars have the same safety level. Becuase they are so stiff they will munch anything weaker than them.
its these "nights out" where there is a bunch of people in the car (possibly drunk, shouting and carrying on), the driver maybe distracted, or even peer pressured, tries to show off, cant (because they cant drive)......do the math.

and as far as the cerfew, if an approximate time was set, and you were out later than that and pulled over but could prove your travelling home from work, a level of leniency could be alllowed by police.

as far as the 5 star rating car, what would you suggest...that we build cars out of cardboard because it might do damage to something else?
Old 27-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #64
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcook
its these "nights out" where there is a bunch of people in the car (possibly drunk, shouting and carrying on), the driver maybe distracted, or even peer pressured, tries to show off, cant (because they cant drive)......do the math.

and as far as the cerfew, if an approximate time was set, and you were out later than that and pulled over but could prove your travelling home from work, a level of leniency could be alllowed by police.
Completely agree, its called a taxi!

Plus, whats the fun in going out and then havnig one person sober?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 01:09 PM   #65
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

as jeremy clarkson wrote recently...

maybe an iq test for licence applicants.

taken from his article (earlier in the article he was talking about public toilets, and how messy they are):

"So why do we let stupid people have driving licences? Seriously, if you cannot be trusted to get your faeces into a bowl that is at least 50 times bigger than your anus, then why should you be allowed to try to steer a six-foot-wide car at 60 or 70mph, just inches from other people.

I want you to think about this. The latest figures suggest that 18 per cent of fatalities on the roads 2004 were caused by drink driving. And that 34 per cent were caused as a result of excessive speed. This means that 48 per cent were caused by people who were stone-cold sober, and travelling well within both their limits and those of the car."

he then suggests that an iq of 100 be needed before obtaining a licence. food for thought.
Old 27-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #66
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If someone can't control themselves behind the wheel of a car they shouldn't have a drivers licence period. Lets say there was a limit. Would you like to have 3x as many P-Platers on the road (Which would increase the road toll accordingly)?

As for 5-star I wouldn't go that extreme. I would just slowly introduce higher and higher manditory safety rating for all new cars sold in Australia (Start at 3 or 3.5 to stop the holden death traps). A sudden change is the wrong way.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #67
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Or maybe people should be able to speak english first............
Old 27-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #68
BlackLS

Different point of view but a good one
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #69
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
If someone can't control themselves behind the wheel of a car they shouldn't have a drivers licence period. Lets say there was a limit. Would you like to have 3x as many P-Platers on the road (Which would increase the road toll accordingly)?
You cant sit there and say that you have never given into peer pressure, or showed off a bit infront of your mates?

BAFalconXT - whats the english reference reffering to?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 27-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #70
FORDEBV8
E-Series

i am 18 on my Ps and i will not give up my V8 for the power to weight ratio, i luv it im not a hoon and have big plans for my car. the way i see it is if i spend money on my car i wont spend it on drugs, just my point of view
Old 27-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #71
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i can tell you now i do not know where they got there information from but the stats for 2006 have not been released yet and any information is PRELIMINARY and is subject to change. also the stats for 2005 are in the proccess of being finalised as we speak. the daily telegraph have gotten half the information and created the other half.

Quote:
In NSW, 51 people aged between 17 and 20 have been killed during the first eight months of this year.

In the corresponding period last year, 34 P-platers were killed.
These 2 sentences do not match up for one. there is no link between the two to sujest that the 1st one has anything to do with p platers. people in a car who arent driing can die, so can pedestrians. notice how the first sentance doesnt have P platers only age. the Daily telegraph is using crappy data and trying to make something sound bad when it really isnt.

basically.... DAILY TELEGRAPH needs to get its facts right.!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #72
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDEBV8
i am 18 on my Ps and i will not give up my V8 for the power to weight ratio, i luv it im not a hoon and have big plans for my car. the way i see it is if i spend money on my car i wont spend it on drugs, just my point of view
LOL...Mr Plod might have something to say about that.

Your no drug stand is commendable though.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 27-09-2006, 01:24 PM   #73
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Polyal I won't say I drive around like a granny becuase I don't. But when I am DD I won't go off and be stupid.
Old 27-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #74
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
I'm not saying its the only fix but it is still a good start - Yes both cars can do 110, but:

- which one can get there in less than 6 seconds?
- Which one would a teenager continually want to hit the accelerator to hear the engine, boost, feel the power?
- which one will oversteer into a tree when boost arrives in the hands of someone inexperienced?
ect.

I know which one I would be tempted to drive fast in if I was 17, it aint the Corolla.
Acceleration doesn't kill, it's the stop that does.
Both cars get hooned!
One will oversteer from boost, the other will oversteer from the 165 tyres!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #75
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I agree. But unfortunately fools will be fools.

On one hand anyone can do damage in any car, whether its a skyline or an excel.

But, something must be done to try. All these people that sook about the power restrictions do not have one good reason why a P plater needs a powerful car.

Learning to drive takes time, so for the first few years of ones driving career its not going to hurt to be limited to say 2.0L and under, no turbo or superchargers.
My 2L standard 1971 cortina could do 160 easy, I doubt restriction to a litre size will help at all.

Longer hours with an aproved driving school I think would be a better solution.

My brother had a 120Y and on his P's he pulled out to early and he could not accelerate out of the way, then bang, I think underpowered cars are in fact more dangerous then high powered.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #76
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Polyal I won't say I drive around like a granny becuase I don't. But when I am DD I won't go off and be stupid.
And thats fair enough, I believe what you say. But most of the people on these forums are the exception. We all love our cars, we know most of its limits and we probably can drive a bit better than the average joe.

Its those average joes that need the help, and unfortunately its wrong, and to hard to just make laws to suit one particluar group of people.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 27-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #77
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

must be a sign...im next...lol

half of those p-platers you could say had it coming.(in the bluntest way possible) MOST however did not deserve it.

i honestly dont think its a matter of banning the car its a matter of banning the DRIVER. like for every k over that that many hours of community service then multiplied be the passengers, and if over the alcohol limit its chained to a wall for 3 weeks getting fed a piece of bread 3x a day.

speed doesnt kill, its the idiot behind the wheel and the neglected car that cant handle it.

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #78
FORDEBV8
E-Series

well maby they should make a advance driveing course befor you get your Ps?
Old 27-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #79
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
My 2L standard 1971 cortina could do 160 easy, I doubt restriction to a litre size will help at all.

Longer hours with an aproved driving school I think would be a better solution.

My brother had a 120Y and on his P's he pulled out to early and he could not accelerate out of the way, then bang, I think underpowered cars are in fact more dangerous then high powered.
It probably could, but how many of the accidents are happening at that speed? I dont think outright speed is the issue, its the people driving them; the fact that they are allowed to drive a hi-po car doesnt help the issue thats all, its not the main factor.

That 120Y issue has more to do with your brothers decision than the car.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 27-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #80
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only solution in my mind would be what they have a bike riders. Drivers training to get your L's in the first place (Sif you learn anything putting along the road at 20km/h) and more driver training and each stage of your licence.
Old 27-09-2006, 01:39 PM   #81
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Quote:
You cant sit there and say that you have never given into peer pressure, or showed off a bit infront of your mates?

BAFalconXT - whats the english reference reffering to?
There is lots of Chinese migrants where I live who cant speak a word of english, who are all starting to buy cars, and cant drive for s**t! All you need is a drivers licence and you can apply for an international licence and can drive anywhere in the world.

They should base licence disqualifications on at fault accidents. There is nothing stopping someone crashing their car every week. But someone who has never crashed in their life and speeds all the time will loose their licence.
Old 27-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #82
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAFalconXT
There is lots of Chinese migrants where I live who cant speak a word of english, who are all starting to buy cars, and cant drive for s**t! All you need is a drivers licence and you can apply for an international licence and can drive anywhere in the world.
Migrants as in citizens? I remember hearing that the gov was opening up suggestions for rules that need to be adherd to before getting your citizenship.

Hopefully that happens, as I agree, living in a country where you can even speak a little of the language is dangerous and a joke.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 27-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #83
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i just got a reply back from one of the reporting officers on the NSW stats data. and to date there has only been an increase of 3... ONLY 3 crashes for p platers. there has been a significant increase in 17-20 year old deaths. and as i have said before and many other i think the major increase does not specify in what category these poor souls died. it could be a pedestrian, could be in a car with an unrestricked driver. Daily Telegraph is full of ****. there is nothing wrong with the current system and it does not need to be changed.

Parents are the ones who need to be educated. if the parents drive like a nut and the kids see that they are influenced, also if the child learns how to drive like a nut while there learning, who else is in the car. the parent or the instructor. and if they let them get away with it then i wonder what attitude they will develop when they get older. not saying that its the parents fault completely but they have to accept some responsibility. IMO... back on topic. daily telegraph have writen that article so crypically.

Old 27-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #84
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
That 120Y issue has more to do with your brothers decision than the car.
Yes but a bad decision that could not be corrected due to under powered car is my point, how many times have you made a decision to reliase you are in trouble and good squirt of the acclerator saved an accident if not your life, anyone who says never is just plain lying.

Old 27-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #85
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
Yes but a bad decision that could not be corrected due to under powered car is my point, how many times have you made a decision to reliase you are in trouble and good squirt of the acclerator saved an accident if not your life, anyone who says never is just plain lying.
True, but accidents do happen.

I have been in that situation, but only because I know I can get myself out it if it was to go pear shaped.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 27-09-2006, 01:54 PM   #86
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
well maby they should make a advance driveing course befor you get your Ps?
that may help..but think of it. they would get the wrong idea and think that they are more "INVULNERABLE". its the stupid mentalility of a "p" plater when they first get there car.

Old 27-09-2006, 01:56 PM   #87
EA2BA
PM me if you want

put em in a car and crash into a wall like test dummy at low speed of course, if that dont scare the crap out of them, nothing will.

Old 27-09-2006, 02:00 PM   #88
FORDEBV8
E-Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
that may help..but think of it. they would get the wrong idea and think that they are more "INVULNERABLE". its the stupid mentalility of a "p" plater when they first get there car.

very tru but there has go to be a outher way than takeing away my power :(
Old 27-09-2006, 02:03 PM   #89
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
very tru but there has go to be a outher way than takeing away my power :(
face it. people just need to accept that there are just so many things you can do to stop these things from happening. unless the AUS government decides that we have to all take public transport then there will be no way to stop people from dying on the roads.

and i dont think you will be affected due to you already having your licence.

the media wants the impossible.

Old 27-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #90
EA2BA
PM me if you want

lets not forget they have lengthened the amount of time people now spend on p-plates and figures go up, geez go figure. Let me guess figures for normal drivers went down or stayed the same.