Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-11-2007, 12:53 AM   #61
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

hmmmmm.......... seems like tolerance can be officially declared DEAD.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 24-11-2007, 12:53 AM   #62
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I was riding my bike down a hill when I was 17 and this fat chick opened her car door..
I ended up between her and the steering wheel...
That was before air bags.....Lol....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 24-11-2007, 12:54 AM   #63
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
the issue is having some sort of identification and a way of finding and fining those that do the wrong thing.
WHy? So that someone can issue some pathetic fine because they were speeding or failed to indicate? Because they move too quick for the cops to keep up? :

Licence plates are great on vehicles because you can identify cars/trucks involved in hit and runs or vehicles that run into other cars in car parks.

Somehow I can't see a bike being involved in any such issue so why the need to identify them?

So big brother can keep tabs on all cyclists? So you can positively identify the cyclist tomorrow morning on the way to work who ****ed you off yesterday, so you know you're throwing eggs at the right bloke?

So the speed camera knows where to send the speeding fine, or witnesses are able to identify the bike who ploughed into the school bus killing people?

The only logical reason I can see why you would want to have a licence plate on a bike is because you HAVE to display one on your car and it ****es you off that they dont!
Old 24-11-2007, 12:54 AM   #64
blk_frmnt
ẶЦ ╒ǻІґмΩאַâ€*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
I was riding my bike down a hill when I was 17 and this fat chick opened her car door..
I ended up between her and the steering wheel...
That was before air bags.....Lol....
funniest. mental image. ever.
Old 24-11-2007, 12:56 AM   #65
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
i think cycleists should have their own lane.. (which i thought the BIKE lane was for..) but for some reason they never use it..
Well we try to, but people do continue to park there :

Quote:
but anywhere else.. speed limit or bust i say
There's that arrogant attitude that gets people injured - read my above post if you don't understand.
Old 24-11-2007, 12:57 AM   #66
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk_frmnt
funniest. mental image. ever.
Not much room in a Morris 1000....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 24-11-2007, 01:01 AM   #67
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAGSV8
My God some of you are morons. Where do you expect bikes to be ridden, on the footpath where pedestrians are?? Some of you need to go back and learn your road rules on what can and can't go on there. Didn't any of you get told to look in your mirror before you open a door?
Actually, in QLD its perfectly legal for cyclists to ride on the footpath unless legislated otherwise by the local government. And I don't know of any that do (Brisbane City Council certainly don't). The only thing is, you must give way to pedestrians (which isn't hard).

This isn't to say the person should not have to look before opening the door - it could quite easily be a motorbike rider or another car or even, in this instance, a cyclist.

At least the couple had the decency to see that you got treated and hung around, they could quite have easily just driven/ran off.

Were they elderly at all?
Old 24-11-2007, 01:05 AM   #68
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgEA
Ok so i pay $550 a year to drive my car on public roads because it weighs so much and damages the road surface. That's news to me.

You probably pay something like $150 for rego and $400 for third party personal insurance (which covers people other than the driver in an accident), which is included in the rego fee in Vic last time I checked and is seperate in NSW and QLD. That way when you decide to try and wipe out another motorist while driving to work, shaving and talking on your mobile while smoking, their medical bills are covered. Somehow I can't see a 10kg bike with a 70kg rider on board needing third party insurance when they plough into a bus at 30kph, can you?

The bigger a vehicle, the bigger the rego fee. If not because of the potential of these bigger vehicles to cause damage to both people or infrastructure, then what else could be the reason? Go try and register a truck for $550 if you don't believe me!
Old 24-11-2007, 01:06 AM   #69
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Actually, in QLD its perfectly legal for cyclists to ride on the footpath unless legislated otherwise by the local government. And I don't know of any that do (Brisbane City Council certainly don't). The only thing is, you must give way to pedestrians (which isn't hard).
Problem there is you are more likely to get hit by a car reversing out of a driveway because you simply can't see them, and the driver won't know you were there until they hear a thump...
Old 24-11-2007, 01:12 AM   #70
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
i think cycleists should have their own lane.. (which i thought the BIKE lane was for..) but for some reason they never use it..

even on roads with a 50cm hard shoulder (beyond the solid white line).. why cant they ride there instead of ON THE EDGE of the white line in the traffic??

its just stupidity..

in the city.. i can understand as theres usually cars in the lane.. and the traffic does 20kmh anyway..

but anywhere else.. speed limit or bust i say
Same reason a motorcyclist is taught to take up the whole lane, not the edge. To stop fools in cars trying to share the lane. A 50cm shoulder is hardly a nice space to be locked into. Its unlikely the third or sixth car in a stream is going to know the cyclist is there, and how often do you see cars crossing the white lines for no reason other than lack of attention?

If youd ever ridden a motor bike on the road for extended periods youd know exactly what the pushy rider is doing it for. To those of us who ride motorbikes, all car drivers are Volvo drivers.
Old 24-11-2007, 01:19 AM   #71
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
To those of us who ride motorbikes, all car drivers are Volvo drivers.
Actually, on the bike I treat everyone like they are blind, deaf and really stupid morons who have very little regard for human life other than their family and immediate friends.

I rode in Sydney peak hour for 4 years and had a close call every other day, never had an incident though. You get real good at percieving what the guy next to you, behind you and in front of you is doing before he/she does it.

Funny thing is, with the standard of driving here in Mackay, I actually felt safer on the roads in Sydney.
Old 24-11-2007, 01:54 AM   #72
DaveGod
Your not Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
WHy? So that someone can issue some pathetic fine because they were speeding or failed to indicate? Because they move too quick for the cops to keep up? :

Licence plates are great on vehicles because you can identify cars/trucks involved in hit and runs or vehicles that run into other cars in car parks.

Somehow I can't see a bike being involved in any such issue so why the need to identify them?

So big brother can keep tabs on all cyclists? So you can positively identify the cyclist tomorrow morning on the way to work who ****ed you off yesterday, so you know you're throwing eggs at the right bloke?

So the speed camera knows where to send the speeding fine, or witnesses are able to identify the bike who ploughed into the school bus killing people?

The only logical reason I can see why you would want to have a licence plate on a bike is because you HAVE to display one on your car and it ****es you off that they dont!

ok, iam not going to get involved in whther bikes should or shouldnt be allowed on the roads. As it doesnt bother me and iam a swinging voter. But id just like to point out how ridiculous this post is in regards to Gz1's intentions. As i read it the identification would be to issue fines or warnings or whatever to those bike riders who break the law. Whether that be speeding (that would be a laugh), failing to indicate, or hit and runs (as you suggested). But iam sure you realise there are more road rules then this, alot of which have been covered and appear to be common ie; running reds. As i see it the road rules are there for a reason, and as the pro bikers keep saying its a shared road. And as Gz1 is saying there should be some accountabilty for those doing the wrong, just as there is for motorists. My view is that it would be a good idea if it could be inforced, for example if a biker was caught running a red and got fined or a warning then they may think twice about doing it. This then should reduce motorists frustration with bikers and also improve the safety for the biker.
Old 24-11-2007, 02:22 AM   #73
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGod
ok, iam not going to get involved in whther bikes should or shouldnt be allowed on the roads. As it doesnt bother me and iam a swinging voter. But id just like to point out how ridiculous this post is in regards to Gz1's intentions. As i read it the identification would be to issue fines or warnings or whatever to those bike riders who break the law. Whether that be speeding (that would be a laugh), failing to indicate, or hit and runs (as you suggested). But iam sure you realise there are more road rules then this, alot of which have been covered and appear to be common ie; running reds. As i see it the road rules are there for a reason, and as the pro bikers keep saying its a shared road. And as Gz1 is saying there should be some accountabilty for those doing the wrong, just as there is for motorists. My view is that it would be a good idea if it could be inforced, for example if a biker was caught running a red and got fined or a warning then they may think twice about doing it. This then should reduce motorists frustration with bikers and also improve the safety for the biker.
The problem with all that is logistics. The assumption seems to be adults riding racers or triathlon cycles, when the majority are kids on BMX's or whatever. Who is actually going to police it?

The issue is always something along the lines of they get away with it. So what. It feels like high school and someone saying 'he started it'. I mean apart from the danger they put themselves in, who cares if they dont get fines? If we want to even the score properly, maybe motorists should wear helmets too. It all seems silly to me.
Old 24-11-2007, 02:24 AM   #74
DaveGod
Your not Ron

Yea, as i said iam not concerned. But a warning might not go astray. Could potentially save peoples lives.
Old 24-11-2007, 02:56 AM   #75
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGod
Yea, as i said iam not concerned. But a warning might not go astray. Could potentially save peoples lives.
Only the cyclists.

Thats the difference as far as I'm concerned. A 70kg rider on a 10kg bike runs a red light. How much damage can he do to anyone other than himself.

Not quite the same potential for damage or injury to others as a 2 tonne car or a 40 tonne truck is it?

Personally I don't care if a cyclist wants to run a red light. It's their neck on the line. And for identification reasons it's not there are 50 bikes per car on the road, or like a cop car isn't going to be able to catch them if it observes a bike running a red, so again why the need for a licence plate for a bike?

The road rules are there for a reason and I have no probelm with following them. I do so because know that the vehicle that I am operating is capable of killing and a lot of road rules are designed for just that reason. That is to prevent me running my 2 tonne car into someone elses and causing death or maiming.

I don't believe that to be the case with a pushbike though. Why is it that you guys feel the need to protect the cyclist from themself. Let Darwin decide. We live in a nanny state all ready without this kind of crap!

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 24-11-2007 at 03:05 AM.
Old 24-11-2007, 03:07 AM   #76
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Thats the difference as far as I'm concerned. A 70kg rider on a 10kg bike runs a red light. How much damage can he do to anyone other than himself.
He does more damage then you think. See if the car hits him, the car gets the blame.

And even if the car driver doesn't get prosecuted and bike man dies... that's lots of psychological scarring for the car driver. Situation easily avoid if bicycles either had to obey the damn rules or get the hell off the road.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 24-11-2007, 03:15 AM   #77
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
He does more damage then you think. See if the car hits him, the car gets the blame.
BS!

The rider is at fault on this occasion for running the red. There is no way that the blame can be attributed to the driver, who is in the right. DO you honestly expect me to believe that with the contempt that you have for cyclists, you would suffer any mental anguish over the death of a cyclist that was not your fault. Only if he scratched your car I reckon! :

The story changes though when the rider is just riding along minding their own business following the road rules and are run over the top of by a car from behind. This is how cyclist die. Hit from behind by an unattentive driver.

As for them HAVING to follow the rules, they do have to follow them. The fact that they don't is human nature, just like the fact that you don't when you speed or fail to stop at a stop sign, cut someone off, etc.

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 24-11-2007 at 03:21 AM.
Old 24-11-2007, 03:20 AM   #78
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
BS!

The rider is at fault on this occasion for running the red. There is no way that the blame can be attributed to the driver, who is in the right.

The story changes though when the rider is just riding along minding their own business following the road rules and are run over the top of by a car from behind. This is how cyclist die. Hit from behind by an unattentive driver.
Yeah, that's the only way they die, because of course, cyclists are the most law obiding, good citizens on the planet? Rightio then... :togo:

I've lost count of how many times I've seen them run reds, dart infront of cars COMING THE OTHER WAY doing some kind of stupid manouvre (one did it to go through a roundabout quicker and the car I was in - friend driving - almost ploughed into him), riding around at night in dark clothing with no lighting at all on the bicycle etc etc etc.

Get a grip. Fact is, the most endangered people on our roads are people riding bicycles. Yet the law is also most leniant to them. It boggles the mind...

:
Old 24-11-2007, 03:31 AM   #79
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, that's the only way they die, because of course, cyclists are the most law obiding, good citizens on the planet? Rightio then... :togo:

I've lost count of how many times I've seen them run reds, dart infront of cars COMING THE OTHER WAY doing some kind of stupid manouvre (one did it to go through a roundabout quicker and the car I was in - friend driving - almost ploughed into him), riding around at night in dark clothing with no lighting at all on the bicycle etc etc etc.

Get a grip. Fact is, the most endangered people on our roads are people riding bicycles. Yet the law is also most leniant to them. It boggles the mind...
Yeah it's only those damm cyclists who break road rules and do stupid S$%t on the road. They should all be banned for doing that sort of s$%t. I have never ever seen a car driver doing dumb on the road, because they are all angels who obey the law. Yeah right!

I've seen heaps and heaps of cyclist riding along, obeying road rules minding there own business. Theres good and bad in all. You are tarring them all with the same brush and then saying we should ban them, yet I am the one who need to get a grip?

Ever seen a cyclist die from running a red light? I haven't. Seen one get killed riding in a straight line though, just obeying the road rules riding along on the shoulder and POW hit up the ***, thrown 15 feet in the air while the bike went under the car. Probably deserved it though because no doubt he had broken some sort of road law at some stage in his life, so f@@k him and his family.
Old 24-11-2007, 03:34 AM   #80
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:

Youre right steffo. We need to up the ante though for the sake of safety. I always see these hoons driving their hotted up cars. We need to switch everyone to cars that run on pure harmony and truth with speed limits of 12km/h and raise the driving age to 30.

I mean weve all seen what them hoons in their hotted up cars do, theyd have to be close second on the endangered list.

You could either take this post seriously and try and argue against it, or you could see the point. Be careful the rod you create for your own back.

Last edited by fmc351; 24-11-2007 at 03:43 AM.
Old 24-11-2007, 03:36 AM   #81
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I mean weve all seen what them hoons in their hotted up cars do, theyd have to be close second on the endangered list.
Yeah using this logic we need to ban those bastages too! Safety is of paramount importance. We need to ban them, confiscate their cars and make them all ride bikes, so that they can wipe themselves out running red lights!

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 24-11-2007 at 03:45 AM.
Old 24-11-2007, 03:51 AM   #82
Steffo
LPG > You

You guys are so hilariously one-eyed in favour of cyclists its funny...

:
Old 24-11-2007, 03:59 AM   #83
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Is that all you got?

No mate, I don't even own one. I just reckon they have the same rights on the road as the next vehicle. I mean it's not like they out number cars and they never stop me from getting to and from my destination so I can't see the problem. Live and let live. Choose your ride. Bikes have been on the roads for a long time now though. Much longer than cars. Infact when cars came along I am prety sure that they had to give way to other road users like horses and bikes. Funny how that's all changed.

I do believe that cyclists should follow the road rules just like you do, but then I believe EVERYONE should except me becuase I have superior driving skills so I should be allowed to drive however the hell I like! :
Old 24-11-2007, 04:08 AM   #84
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Oh thats rich. Arent you the one plucking numbers from the air saying 99% of accidents involving bikes are the cyclists fault? Its all the legal systems fault. In fact its everyones fault but yours.

Like the above, I dont ride pushies, cant see why Id be one eyed anything other than they have rights too.
Old 24-11-2007, 05:41 AM   #85
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Oh thats rich. Arent you the one plucking numbers from the air saying 99% of accidents involving bikes are the cyclists fault? Its all the legal systems fault. In fact its everyones fault but yours.

Like the above, I dont ride pushies, cant see why Id be one eyed anything other than they have rights too.
What's my fault now exactly?

:
Old 24-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #86
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry to hear about the accident

hope it heals well and you can get back to work sooner rather than later

one of the guys at work rides a bike to work everyday and he flaunts the law all the time

just the other day he was bragging how he passes cars going down a hill (60k zone) doing 75 km/h

yesterday he come in a slapped the 2 fines he got 1 for not stopping at a red light and the other for speeding

he has to go to court as well

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #87
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDZ
if there was a bike lane, you have my sympathy. if not, get off the road unless you can ride at the speed limit.

If cyclists paid an annual registration fee then I feel they would have every right to use public roads and have their say about the behaviour of the drivers of other registrable modes of transport..It doesn't have to be a huge fee, just a token $20 a year...And before people say "hey but they aren't motor driven", well..nor is my 6 x 4 trailer and that cost me $80 odd a year to register. I saw a cyclist hit a pedestrian once and he just rode off....No rego plate to note down so he probably got away with it....A city bike courier in fact ...my pet hate these guys and the most reckless of all cyclists IMO

Another benefit too is that, if they paid rego, they'd then be subject to the road rules which many just have no disregard for especially that rule about what you must do if a traffic light is showing the colour red....Ciry bike couriers again teh worst offenders.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,

Last edited by ozmale42; 24-11-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 24-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #88
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome. Introduce a new government rego cost to use the roads. "Sorry son, Santa won't be bringing you a BMX on Christmas day. He forgot to get it registered and pay the tax, so we have to wait till after Christmas to get the bike once its been over the pits"

What next, you guys want a 2.5% stamp duty tax aswell?
Old 24-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #89
Matty4
Banana

Quote:

Not quite the same potential for damage or injury to others as a 2 tonne car or a 40 tonne truck is it?
Everyone here has a difference of opinion, fair enough.
But this comment above really annoys me. Here in Melbourne we "used" (I use the term loosely) to have the Hell Ride along Beach Road every Sunday morning involving up to 100 cyclists, at a guess. (it still runs on a smaller scale)
They constantly ran reds and broke road rules. One morning during the ride they all ran a red at a pedestrian crossing and one of them ploughed straight into the elderly pedestrian who was crossing the road legally. He was killed by the cyclist!!

So it's not only the cyclist that has the potential to be injured if they choose to run a red.

If you were driving your car and a cyclist ran a red and caved in your door, they they proceeded to take off, could you identify them and try to get them to pay for the repair?

I agree that some form of registration and identification is required for the cyclists who use the roads for transport. It doesn't have to be the same as a car, motorbikes pay less than a car.

In the above incident, The cyclist hasn't paid any form of compulsory third party insurance that every other road user is required to.
Old 24-11-2007, 10:14 AM   #90
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
No they are not and nobody said they are. Like every group of society there are some that will break the rules. Would you find it unfair if everybody on their P's was labelled a hoon?

Quote:
Please don't make assumptions on things you clearly have no idea about.

Some people really need to get a grip. Can you honestly tell me you see a cyclist on the road everyday who hinders your drive from A to B and breaks the road rules? You are acting as if it is a major problem in society.
Closed Thread