Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 21-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #61
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
If you want a Chev, then buy one, it's incredibly lame to buy a car and change the 'badges' to make it look like something else.
Yea like taking a falcon and puting GT badges on it ive been seeign that since hmmmm XR, XT, XW, XY XA, XB EB :voldar02: hey Ive even seen Later falcons turned in to XR6's and XR8's, I'm not a bid fan of sticking a chev bowtie on a commodoor or torrana with a chev engine but if the owner wants to do it how is it any less appropriat than a GT copy?

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 21-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #62
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I agree with The Yeti.
What i reckon is WORSE is people with garden variety falcon models putting tickford wings on them! At least the chev badges are half right...
Old 21-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #63
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it just the latest, of many FADS?

In the last 35 years I have seen (in SA specifically)

Fox tails on aerials
CB Radios
Diffs painted orange
Huge fibreglass aerials
Moon disks
Dragway rims
Jacked up backends only
Lowered front ends only
Milo tins (one guy actually had a real Milo tin with the Milo label still on it!)
Chev badges (as per this thread)
Fluffy dice hanging on mirrors
How many ford guys put the HO rear spoiler on many lower model falcons in 70’s?
What about the front XU1 chrome spoiler that every LC and LJ seemed to have?
How many put stateman front ends on base kingswoods/monaros in 70’s & 80’s?

Im sure theres more out there…
FG XR6 (son)
Old 21-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #64
TadKa
Wait? What?

We have a Ford Explorer at work with chev badges ???
I keep meaning to take a photo of it.
Old 21-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #65
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Old 21-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #66
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Don't forget the giant chrome/stainless steel long range fuel tank protruding below the rear bumper
Old 21-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #67
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Don't know but i haven't seen any Kenworth's that have been de-badged in favor of a Caterpillar Badge.
When I was in the US I pulled up next a Dodge Ram pickup, it had a Cummins badge on the front guard (which was about head height in my little mid size hire car) looked factory to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I heartily support Chev Badges on Commodores that have the Chev (LSx) motor. Just remember two things. That this has been going on for FORTY years, ever since Holden started using the Chev V8 in 1967.
I do not understand why some people get their knickers in a Knot about this and as been said by Mr Hardware, "it has been happening for forty years". It did differentiate a 253/308 from a 307/350 back then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Guy at work has a holden VZ ute. He's got a Chev badge on it. But he's not a 19 year old. He's in his 50's. I think he has the badge because of the Chev Engine in the ute. I told him cool idea.
And as for the 50 yo that has done this as well, well maybe he is proud of the heritage that Holden started with Chev powered Holdens in the first place. Just ask him, he was there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark s
Sorry, pretty much all these guys carry on about how great Holden is, yet they throw on Chevy badges. It does not show much pride in Holden and the brand they support.
Maybe they are just as proud as you are about who they support and what they drive. Why are so many people here so jealous of what Holden can source from the GM power train division? These were always destined for the “Chevrolet” Corvette they are Chev engines and Holden is damn lucky to have access to them. Maybe some people just like to celebrate this position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
Yes they look crap in most cases.
Lets not mention the overuse of GT stripes shall we !!
Nothing looks worse than "Cobra stripes" on white ex-rental XR 6's

What does it matter what people put on there cars? John Lennon painted his Rolla up with "psychedelic" images during the Sgt. Peppers "Hippy Flower Power" movement of the 60's. Who cares although it is rumoured that some old lady took offence and belted it with an umbrella muttering how dare you do this to a Rolls Royce!

Ahh if it makes em happy and they are not hurting anyone, let em go. Too much unhappiness in the world today already me thinks.
Old 21-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #68
Assassinbm

What I would like to know is the current model commy model designation is VE, this being the second time around the alphabet............what happened to the VD comadore, its been missed twice WTF......................
Old 21-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #69
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
Is it just the latest, of many FADS?

In the last 35 years I have seen (in SA specifically)

Fox tails on aerials
CB Radios
Diffs painted orange
Huge fibreglass aerials
Moon disks
Dragway rims
Jacked up backends only
Lowered front ends only
Milo tins (one guy actually had a real Milo tin with the Milo label still on it!)
Chev badges (as per this thread)
Fluffy dice hanging on mirrors
How many ford guys put the HO rear spoiler on many lower model falcons in 70’s?
How many put stateman front ends on base kingswoods/monaros in 70’s & 80’s?

Im sure theres more out there…
You are right! In SA, surfracks, tramp rods and even painted black strips across the top of wind screens. These were very popular as well!
Old 21-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #70
JD86
DELANY

i dont mind seeing chev badges on a holden with a chev engine

but that means vl's should have nissan badges haha, never seen that

i hate seeing chev badges on v6's
Old 21-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #71
Mr Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassinbm
What I would like to know is the current model commy model designation is VE, this being the second time around the alphabet............what happened to the VD comadore, its been missed twice WTF......................
Think about it, why might they not want to use the acronym VD...
Old 21-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #72
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD86
i dont mind seeing chev badges on a holden with a chev engine

but that means vl's should have nissan badges haha, never seen that
Don't you mean could have. I remember when some XF utes had huge Nissan writing across the tail gate, looked factory to me :
Old 21-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #73
Assassinbm

Quote:
Think about it, why might they not want to use the acronym VD...
I was thinking about it & taking the mickey
Old 21-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #74
Mr Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassinbm
I was thinking about it & taking the mickey
Yeah, it was a bit ambiguous so i thought i'd say it regardless, even if it was only for the benefit of the people who didn't get it the first time.
Quote:
I remember when some XF utes had huge Nissan writing across the tail gate, looked factory to me
Nissan had a sharing program with ford for the XF/XG ute and they called it the Nissan Ute. Original.
Old 21-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #75
3VSleeper
3VSleeper

I'm referring to all cars when I say, it's their car! let them be as tasteless as they like with badges and stripes, be thankful your of sounder mind able to recognise bad taste and that you don’t have to be seen in these vehicles that don't appeal to your palette for style. :evil_laug
Sleeper Style
Old 21-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #76
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
The amusing thing is the are not Chevrolet motors. They haven't been called Chev's for a while.
They come from the GM Powertrain division.
That is right the gen 3 and 4 are not a chev motor.
I think holden has been making that pussie cat to big of late. that maybe why. it looks cheap.
Can Holden fool you with a hyundai ?
I nearly forgot them XF nissan ute's. :
Old 21-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #77
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny thing is I know quite a few guys in the US that put "Holden" and "SS" badges on thier Pontiac G8's...If only they knew
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 21-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #78
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why are you all so upset that some people who have bought holdens are so ashamed of it that want to put on a different logo to try and say "It is not really a holden really, you know, it is a chevvy, you know, like on on the fully sick american TV shows, you know, like corvette, you know, and faster than any ford crap, you know, and vin diesel is a friend on my facebook, you know, he reckons my chev SS is really kewl, you know, and it is going to be in fast and furious 27, you know"
Old 21-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #79
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Seen one....I think someone posted it on here as well.

Ummm would that have been an XP Falcon sedan driven by an old bloke, with the 289 and other mustang badges?

I remember seeing this car years ago in a Ford magazine. IIRC the old guy lived down Bendigo way.

I also remember shaking my head, that someone would do that and then place the car in a magazine. To me it's exactly the same as putting Chev badges on a Commodore.

At the end of the day it's the same with a GT and people putting GT stuff and a Falcon, Futura, Fairmont, etc.

My car is a XR6 Turbo and it will remain on what it is, my only thought was in removing the Turbo badge. We also own a XY GS and it will always remain a GS while it is our hands and will never be turned into a mock up GT.

If ya want a Chev, go and buy a Camaro or a Vette.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Old 21-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #80
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark s
Ummm would that have been an XP Falcon sedan driven by an old bloke, with the 289 and other mustang badges?
Nope B-series. I saw a blueprint one on Sydney Rd Campbellfield not sure if it was the same one.
Old 21-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #81
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Cheers Mate, So there are 2 around with Mustang badges.........................and both in Victoria..........

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Old 21-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #82
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
This thread will probably be closed quickly.

One thing I dont understand, I've spoke to a lot of Holden supporters and I havent yet met one that doesnt think Chev badges on Commodores is stupid. So where are these people coming from?
I'm a Ford fan and I don't think they're stupid on the 8's.

I think it's a lot more aesthetically pleasing on the grill than the lion. Suits the front end a lot better, IMO. I'd suggest that singular reason is why you see the bow tie and not the lion on the grille.
Old 21-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #83
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

There is an AU fairlane getting around Adelaide with Mercedes badges front back and sides. Even the grille has been modified to fit the badge.

Thats one i don't understand.
Old 21-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #84
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I persoally think its a sad thing to do, it be like me putting Mustang badges on my car just casue they both had the 302Efi Windsor in them!
Old 21-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #85
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

I dont know if id rather have a holden badge or a chev one on this old clappa.

I cant stand the p-platers that have the chev badges and stickers on the v6 vn commodores...

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
Old 21-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #86
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
There is an AU fairlane getting around Adelaide with Mercedes badges front back and sides. Even the grille has been modified to fit the badge.

Thats one i don't understand.
Probably someone with a sense of humor.

Google a CLS55.
Old 21-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #87
Homes
Falcon Loving Hermit

how about this one...Hyundai continental GT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hyundai continental gt.jpg (136.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 21-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #88
fakegt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen a Ssangyong Musso(spelling?) with a Merc badge on it. I think the early ones were Merc powered and they used that in the advertising.
Old 21-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #89
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp

Google a CLS55.
Yep that almost looks like an AU fairlane :
Old 21-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #90
r31psi
nissan+ford

Quote:
I heartily support Chev Badges on Commodores that have the Chev (LSx) motor. Just remember two things. That this has been going on for FORTY years, ever since Holden started using the Chev V8 in 1967.
Oh and the other thing is the VL fully sick cuz boys should be putting Nissan badges on their two decade old heaps of junk.

The third thing is apparently the swear filter now includes the word s-i-k.

yeah they sould put nissan badges on em! lol
Closed Thread