Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #61
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: LPG jumps 15 cents a litre overnight on the Gold Coast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Fat chance of that happening considering the rest of the country has increased.
I luckily found a servo selling it for 69.9 tonight. I bet that won't last long.

This makes me sad, although I am confused as to why the prices have risen so much. Don't we produce LPG in Aus, and isn't there an abundant supply of it?

I've been reading that the Saudi's and Paki's have raised the price $/Tonne but how would that affect us? Surely we could offset the import price rise by selling more of our supplies to help the consumer out. Oh wait, I forgot about $$$ and how much companies want more $$$
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #62
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No fluctuations here in Darwin

Still it's regular 95c/l
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #63
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Nate
This makes me sad, although I am confused as to why the prices have risen so much. Don't we produce LPG in Aus, and isn't there an abundant supply of it?

I've been reading that the Saudi's and Paki's have raised the price $/Tonne but how would that affect us? Surely we could offset the import price rise by selling more of our supplies to help the consumer out. Oh wait, I forgot about $$$ and how much companies want more $$$

this is why gas, oil, coal etc should always be nationalized.

comes from the peoples backyards, should go back to the people.

petrol costs roughly .25c -.30 a litre in saudi.....
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #64
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exactly, cause they use their own supplies for their people!

It seems like we mine it, we sell it all and buy it back at 200% the price, then sell it for some more to the daily driver. Frustrates the hell out of me.

I am not denying how great the savings are on gas anyway, but if it goes up anymore, what the hell was the point of converting in the first place?!?
Old 09-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #65
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
They don't work well at sub zero temperatures, same as a refrigerated airconditioner doesnt work when it gets too hot.
yeah ours acyually stops workin on the cold setting bellow like minus 3 i think...the first year i thought it had broken...but the sales rep said thats what happens....too bad well just have to freeze when its cold then....kinda stupid if ya ask me
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #66
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it gets anymore expensive there goes the "green" advantages of running LPG. But the Government gets richer on the extra taxes...
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #67
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

Yeah it is getting ridiculous. Dad was horrified when I told him that the prices all around the Gold Coast have gone up from @ 65.9/69.9 to 79.9 and that's what he'd be paying when he next filled it up. Since the wagon only runs on LPG it's the only choice there is.

Interesting that this huge jump in price comes at a time when Ford have just released their new EcoLPi car. Probably won't be as many people looking at it as the 'big advantage' now.
It is stupid when we get the stuff out of the ground here (and before the trolls say otherwise) YES we do. Dad used to work out on the fields in South Western Qld for many years and even he doesn't understand why we pay so much for the stuff when it's readily available. They used to run the entire plant/camps on the stuff.

Would be nice to know why we have to pay international prices for a domestic product. That would be like buying bread and milk here at the same prices that some far flung country overseas pays for it. It's insane.

You can guarantee if you asked your local Federal MP about it, they would say there's nothing they can do.. (which is a total lie) but of course, they're never going to care as long as the tax payer pays for their fuel.

Hope the stupidity stops and it comes back down.. but you can bet it won't come back down to the 50's or 60's...
over.
BFZ Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #68
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Would be nice to know why we have to pay international prices for a domestic product. That would be like buying bread and milk here at the same prices that some far flung country overseas pays for it. It's insane."

because the government knows most of australias sheeple are stupid? and will pay without protest?

"You can guarantee if you asked your local Federal MP about it, they would say there's nothing they can do.. (which is a total lie) but of course, they're never going to care as long as the tax payer pays for their fuel."

of course not, because they are not under threat of removal by force if neccessary.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 02:18 AM   #69
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Over 80cpl in Perth in many places. The thing they used to burn for nothing at the wellhead is now quite expensive.

The government should regulate fuel prices again. When the fuel regulation was removed in the early 90's the price went nuts, and it's now getting stupid. It has major knock on effects to the entire economy.

Bring back the GFC. Everything was affordable then.

That being said, the LPG price is still 50% of the 98RON price. It would have to be 80% of the 98RON price before it is not worth it any more.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.

Last edited by TMC; 09-02-2012 at 02:27 AM.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #70
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Well ... I topped up tonight.

Normally $45 would get me 85L
Tonight $45 got me 58L

Big difference.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #71
martyal44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think we should just gripe and then forget about this...it's too ridiculous.
Needs more press and so on.
My local MP is Craig Thomson who could say something as many of his voters are F3 commuters, sure he could use some positive press coverage?!
martyal44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #72
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By my calculations, it should cost me about $45 to fill up at that price, assuming I put in roughly 58 litres. That gets me about 450-500kms depending on how heavy the right foot is during the week.
On fuel, it would probably be about $90 or more for 60L, which would probably get me a little bit further.
Still roughly half the price so I'll be sticking with it for a bit longer
I should calculate again a cents per kilometre cost for my EL on LPG and our Peugeot on diesel and see which one comes out cheaper. My guess is the LPG might be a whisker in front.

I think that LPG was about 17c/L when I first got it 12+ years ago. I used to fill up for about $15!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #73
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

And people wonder why taxis are moving to hybrids and diesels

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #74
V8XTasy

This is pure profiteering. It's gone up 46% since Christmas. There's no reason for it to go up, other than the people who stand to gain from it saying it has to go up like in the North. It isn't costing them any more to produce and get it to the pumps. They've just increased the price to match the 'apparent' increase in the North. I say apparent, because the price has not increased in the UK, so which part of the North are they talking about? Also, if profiteering and anti-competition is not occurring, how did all forecourts increase the price by the same amount on the same day?
And for those who just say don't worry, it's still less than petrol, don't forget the duty increases. That first in December of 2.5c/l actually added 10c, the next increase of 2.5c/l in July (then every July for 4 years) will probably add 10c+ as the servos continue to profiteer, because they assume most people will accept the 'duty' excuse. On top of the duty will be more 'cyclic' increases, for various reasons not even related to Australia. It's not got far to go before it's 80% of petrol price, then it's not worth it any more.
The government won't do anything about this, as they stand to receive a huge windfall of hundreds of millions of dollars as they take 10% GST on the price. As it's gone up 25c/l since Christmas, the government is already making an extra 2.5c/l even before the duty is added. Do you really think they will do anything?

Last edited by V8XTasy; 09-02-2012 at 09:53 AM.
V8XTasy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #75
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

In reality it's called "price fixing". The servos themselves generally don't dictate the pump price, the oil companies do, and there isn't too many of them. The oil companies ARE colluding on pump price. They need taking down a peg or two, but the gov won't do it.

When LPG reaches that magic 80% mark, will LPG have a market anymore? NO. It will destroy the LPG industry. No one will buy it here, and they'll continue to burn it at the wellhead for nothing. Idiots!!!!!!!
6th car 95 XG ute
Fords all my life.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #76
V8XTasy

and don't forget inflation is still only around 3% as it conveniently doesn't include fuel !!
Old 09-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #77
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFZ Wagon
Would be nice to know why we have to pay international prices for a domestic product. That would be like buying bread and milk here at the same prices that some far flung country overseas pays for it. It's insane.

You can guarantee if you asked your local Federal MP about it, they would say there's nothing they can do.. (which is a total lie) but of course, they're never going to care as long as the tax payer pays for their fuel.
Simple...Australia signed up to international treaties on prices many years ago and stupidly keeps on rolling along with them when a country that could grow a pair would drop out and do what was best for thier own people...that's why they always quote petrol prices related to the Singapore price of refining...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Well ... I topped up tonight.

Normally $45 would get me 85L
Tonight $45 got me 58L

Big difference.
Whoa...that puts it all into perspective doesn't it...same cost, way less product...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #78
Spoony
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
$0.799 for LPG and $1.31 for unleaded on the westgate Freeway tonight.

that's the trigger to remove the LPG tank in my book.
How do you figure? You use 64% more LPG than Petrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Nate

There is the Saudi Aramco price index on which LPG is traded through Asia and other parts. Australia sells gas on this system.
http://lpgaustralia.com.au/site/industry_data.php
What's frustrating though is this is a state owned company, so effectively this price is set by the Saudi Government.
From what I have been able to read, these countries do not use their international pricing for product produced and sold locally, ie they keep the national interest of the country and it's people insight.

However our Gumbyment allows a product that is largely produced from our own stores to be controlled and dictated in price by a foreign nation.

Now I know there are 'market forces' and all that ********, but sustainable, reliable and affordable energy is without a doubt something that factors into governmental national security and stability?

As mentioned, why this hopeless ****** can't grow some back bone and protect it's own people and national interest is beyond me.

It's not like other nations we trade with are not already doing this for their people/country.
Spoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #79
Hitman
Way over here

Noticed yesterday in Collie that LPG was 95.9.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #80
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoony
There is the Saudi Aramco price index on which LPG is traded through Asia and other parts. Australia sells gas on this system.
http://lpgaustralia.com.au/site/industry_data.php
What's frustrating though is this is a state owned company, so effectively this price is set by the Saudi Government.
From what I have been able to read, these countries do not use their international pricing for product produced and sold locally, ie they keep the national interest of the country and it's people insight.

However our Gumbyment allows a product that is largely produced from our own stores to be controlled and dictated in price by a foreign nation.

Now I know there are 'market forces' and all that ********, but sustainable, reliable and affordable energy is without a doubt something that factors into governmental national security and stability?

As mentioned, why this hopeless ****** can't grow some back bone and protect it's own people and national interest is beyond me.

It's not like other nations we trade with are not already doing this for their people/country.

Thanks for the link, interesting read.

I just can't stand our government anymore. I wonder how we look to other nations, where our government in power can't even trust it's own people?

I'd love to see someone take action, I understand the price of Butane fluctuates, which can change the price of our LPG, but the fact that our fuel markets are controlled by another countries is bogus. What if Singapore and Saudi just decide to bump the price 10 fold, do we just comply and buy fuel at $5/L? I know our government would just go, oh you know, we can't do anything about it but people will cope.
Yeah not everyone is on $170K+ a year
Old 24-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #81
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Petrol in Melbourne has jumped today from recent lows of $1.30 to $1.53 just this afternoon in two servo's I saw...... Lpg is still cheap compared to these prices but, the gov. and the fuel companies are still SCREWING us blind with price increases like the last few weeks..... Something needs to be done asap..... I mean for gods sake both Ford and GM now have new dedicated lpg cars designed to save us all some cash at the pump..... And at the very same time of release the prices jump up right on cue.... Potential buyers will be saying WTF??? Not to mention it was tagged as a 'greener' fuel with the rebate..... Wot are they on???

Last edited by GASWAGON; 24-02-2012 at 11:50 PM.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #82
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The ULP price fluctuation from $1.30s to $1.50 is normal in Sydney ... you get that.

Looking across the board though ... there have been increases for everyone pretty. Diesel seems like it is the most stable one.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #83
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just noticed a couple of servos have raised the price of LPG up to 89.9c/L on my way home tonight.
Article in today's Sunday mail saying we should expect prices to rise over 80 cents per litre. I guess they're going right to 89.9!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #84
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

92.9cpl in Perth. Think yourself lucky.
6th car 95 XG ute
Fords all my life.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #85
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Caltex at Enfield(Sth Aust)has it at 91.9c p/ltr.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #86
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Simple...Australia signed up to international treaties on prices many years ago and stupidly keeps on rolling along with them when a country that could grow a pair would drop out and do what was best for thier own people...that's why they always quote petrol prices related to the Singapore price of refining...

Whoa...that puts it all into perspective doesn't it...same cost, way less product...
Setting Australian petrol and LPG prices to overseas market prices has nothing to do with any inter-government trading treaties, there aren't any effecting fuel, it's a pricing parity policy first brought in by the Fraser government so that local producers would still sell locally (at international wholesale prices) and not chase a higher price from overseas buyers. Where the feds kill us is in the excise levies and gst which is charged on top of the other "taxes". What also hurts us is the market speculators who trade and make money on the price fluctuations.

At 8.30pm tonight I filled up the G6ET with 95ron from local bayside Caltex @$1.499/L.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 05-03-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #87
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I think I've seen a new record:

87.5 cents per litre on the way to work this morning (SE metro Melbourne). And this was at multiple servo's.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #88
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

91.9cpl at Ipswich QLD. This is obviously nationwide...funnily enough
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #89
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did Ford release Ecolpi too late ?????
Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #90
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our local LPG pricing as of last night was still 69.9 cpl in the Latrobe Valley. I'll have to have a look today.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post