Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #61
XW WA

Default Re: total work hours(weekly)

Just finished an 18 month project doing 94.5 hours a week ,28 days on 9 days off .Happily unemployed now for 3.5 months renovating my house and having a life again.
XW WA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #62
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I personally love my job, I like being at work, the Mrs works night and I work during the day so when I get home I can still gym, uni and do whatever else I need.

We don't have kids yet but are building a stable foundation for our family in the mean time (i.e working our guts out) but once I'm at a 'lifestyle' level I'm comfortable with then I'll back off and get the work/life balance going for the sake of the family.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #63
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

70hrs a week. 28 on 7 off.

was doing 84hrs a week on a 2&2 but Decided I would like to own my house before I’m 50.
Old 23-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #64
Paul302351

12 hours a day + 2.5 hours travel.

4 and 1 roster.

*****! i gotta get a life again
Paul302351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #65
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
WOW, you people doing huge hours do realise that you only live every day once and that when you die you can't take it with you???

I try to not work more than 3-4 days per week (only working two this week), take the kids to the pool or park, enjoy a day out with the missus while kids are at school, work on my cars, train in my gym, go for a swim, go fishing, go hunting etc etc.

Life is for living and not spending every waking hour at work, you just need a job where you earn enough and then adjust your lifestyle.

I just had the last few days off, working tomorrow and the next day for the first time this week, then having Friday off to spend with the missus going shopping and out for breakfast and lunch, work on my car the week end and then work a couple of days early next week...that will do me.....I feel sorry for you people doing any more than 40hrs a week.

This is why our employers love it when we get in debt as they then have us over a barrel, as we have to slave away to afford the lifestyle we really can't afford.
.... some actually enjoy what they do and fits in with their lifestyle. Some people have different priorities in life and there really isn't any reason to judge others for this? What is important to you may not be to someone else. Some people live to work and some work to live. Its a case of what is important to you only.

I run my own business so I feel I am always working ..... even this time of the night on the computer. I enjoy it and so does my family as it lets us do lots of things that make us happy when I have some time off!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #66
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

38 hours a week so far, welding rio bar cages for concerte pylons and bridges etc

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #67
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
.... some actually enjoy what they do and fits in with their lifestyle. Some people have different priorities in life and there really isn't any reason to judge others for this? What is important to you may not be to someone else. Some people live to work and some work to live. Its a case of what is important to you only.

I run my own business so I feel I am always working ..... even this time of the night on the computer. I enjoy it and so does my family as it lets us do lots of things that make us happy when I have some time off!
I was surprised it got as far as it did without judgements (the post you quoted, not yours).

I am definitely in the work to live category, but take pride in my job, and in the fact that I am fairly efficient and effective at what I do. I have a work supplied phone, and I use it, so while I say that I do 8 hour days, it's probably more like 10 to 11 most days because I'm on the blackberry first thing checking and responding to emails, and also last thing before I go to bed. And I spend at least 2 to 4 hours per weekend on the thing as well. But it gives me the freedom to drop the kids to school, go do a day's work at work, and get home in time for family dinner, take days off to go to kids school carnivals and other events, and I earn a good wage for my years of experience and qualification level. I'm never going to be rich, but I am comfortable, and comfortable is good.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #68
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
WOW, you people doing huge hours do realise that you only live every day once and that when you die you can't take it with you???

I try to not work more than 3-4 days per week (only working two this week), take the kids to the pool or park, enjoy a day out with the missus while kids are at school, work on my cars, train in my gym, go for a swim, go fishing, go hunting etc etc.

Life is for living and not spending every waking hour at work, you just need a job where you earn enough and then adjust your lifestyle.

I just had the last few days off, working tomorrow and the next day for the first time this week, then having Friday off to spend with the missus going shopping and out for breakfast and lunch, work on my car the week end and then work a couple of days early next week...that will do me.....I feel sorry for you people doing any more than 40hrs a week.

This is why our employers love it when we get in debt as they then have us over a barrel, as we have to slave away to afford the lifestyle we really can't afford.
Bravo to you!
At my age (54), I have had my time busting a gut for the boss and putting in long, unrewarded hours. I am of the opinion these days after spending nearly 40 years in the workforce, "the more hours you do, the more hours you are expected to do". I am quite happy to do my 40 hours, get a company car, phone, etc for doing a job I have learnt for 20 odd years. If I haven't earned my place by now, I never will.
Someone once said, "we work our butts off to buy things we can't afford to impress people we don't like!".

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #69
4bbl
too many toys

On call, living onsite for 21 days then 21 days off
4bbl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #70
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

96 hours a week mine is a 8 day week followed by 4 days off
Old 24-10-2012, 04:39 AM   #71
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH
Someone once said, "we work our butts off to buy things we can't afford to impress people we don't like!".
Well I guess some people are just idiots. Work = Money = Funding certian lifestyles and tastes. Idc what other people think, Im going to be working my *** off to get the things I want in life for myself not to impress anyone else.

As for work not working yet but at uni pretty much 8-5 everyday.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #72
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I'm on 72 hours at the moment...but that's a 6 on 6 off roster. Half of that is night shift.

Normally I do 48 hours, mon-fri. I'm covering someone elses shift.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #73
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

My business only pays me for 40hrs but I spend 50-60hours every week + some weekends.

Having your own business requires you to spend the time to make sure things run sweet for your employees and still bill out invoices at the same time, plus pump out the work you need to do and still attract new clients.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #74
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH
"we work our butts off to buy things we can't afford to impress people we don't like!".
This pretty much covers it, I am 100% debt free and don't own anyone one single cent, own all my cars outright and have some decent savings.

Now I just work to live, pay my weekly bills and outings and thats it.....life is good, ready to go out all day tomorrow as soon as the kids head to school

I did work hard for the first few years, but I think some people here are grossly exaggerating the hours they work, like in excess of 100hrs...really you spend 14 1/2 hours a day at work seven days a week, and thats if you don't stop for meals (having breaks is not working)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmwindsor
114 hrs for a week
Thats 17hrs a day for 7 days....really.....that leaves you seven hours, to eat, shower, travel to and from work, sleep, etc etc

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #75
XRDeeze
UTRIED

Quote:

you only live old once... (ppl who go to church will get that one)

try telling that to my boss, I agree with you, on "workin to live, not living to work" part. but you get the feeling that if I asked my boss for a day off work for the week ( i work 6) days or I want to reduce my hours, hell think and other management people, that Im not a good worker or that Im weak and bla bla bla

Where I work mostly old guys whove been workin here 30+ years and it seems like theyre against you in every way, its do it my way or highway sort of attitude, and when they ask you to do something, work at this time and date, you just do it cause you have to. Id like to work part time where I am now cause its good money and all, but nowhere in hell theyll get you to do less hours then we're on now, pretty crap coz I like the Job.

Townsville Drag 1/10/11 PB: 15.34 @ 91.09 mph
XRDeeze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #76
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp
just wondering what other people are doing in regards to hours per week. i had a big week just gone. 5 nights overtime (3.4 hours per night) plus 8 hours double on sunday for a total of 65. afternoon shift starting 3pm finishing 3.30am
thats alot for me . what about you guys/girls??
very difficult to figure out. i get up at 0430 and get to bed anywhere between 1930and 2300 hours.

ill visit here and a couple other sites just to clear my mind. im just not sure how to calculate the time differentials.

oh course, it wouldnt be a stretch to say, "grounding oneself" while struggling with decisions, might also be considered working...like right now.

writing a business plan, while coming to terms with seasonal statistics staring me in the face, but reading here and listening to music, helps clear the mind.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 05:36 AM   #77
ZH For Me
Suckin Diesel

36-48 hours per week here, 12 hour shifts, 2 days, 2 nights then 4 days off. Not including overtime (Which I'm trying to snatch up a lot of at the moment). Great having the 4 days off, but after a while you start to wonder where they all go! Still, leaves the door open for other money-making opportunities on the side as well, just need to decide what to do.
ZH For Me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #78
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would any work more hours than they get paid for. I work for a small company and even if I work for 15 minutes extra they pay me. My manager tells me off if I do not put it down as over time. Stuff working hours and hours and not being paid for it.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #79
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Im at work 40-45 hours per week but not necessrily working (does the forum count).

But seriously, I generally work 40-45 hours a week on a 38 hour salary.

xisled; salaried professionals are generally expected to get through their work/tasks/responsibilities irrespective of the actual hours it takes (within reason of course). That said if you can do it in 30 hours and you get paid for 38 its all good too.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #80
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Why would any work more hours than they get paid for. I work for a small company and even if I work for 15 minutes extra they pay me. My manager tells me off if I do not put it down as over time. Stuff working hours and hours and not being paid for it.
It's called salary not wages. Wages you get payed for overtime but when you're on a salary you don't. But ussaully a salary will be alot more then wages so it kind of balances out. I do about 50hrs a week but only get payed for 40hrs. But some weeks if work is slow I'll only to about 30hrs a week but still get paid 40hrs.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #81
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
It's called salary not wages. Wages you get payed for overtime but when you're on a salary you don't. But ussaully a salary will be alot more then wages so it kind of balances out. I do about 50hrs a week but only get payed for 40hrs. But some weeks if work is slow I'll only to about 30hrs a week but still get paid 40hrs.

Ah ok that makes sense.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #82
XRGREIGHT

About 60 hours a week and get paid for 38 salary. i knew the deal when i took the job and knew for the first couple of years i would have to put the hard yards in. though for $100 grand a year ,new hilux 4x4 and an expense account times have been tougher.
XRGREIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #83
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Biggest week ever was 130hrs to resurrect a project back when I was a contract software developer. Followed straight up by a 114hr week. I drank so much V and red bull it wrecked my gut. I slept showered and ate at work. Brain nearly exploded but I was bringing in $150/hr. $36,000 for two weeks work. Didn't last long though. Shortly after the project went live I quit from exhaustion and have never worked full time again. Now I work 1-2 days a week max. and sometimes don't work for months.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #84
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
For instance, I am salaried for 38 hours, but usually do 56 - 60 and have been for the last 3 - 4 months... I'm taking leave for 6 weeks soon, but only have enough annual leave for 4. My boss pulled me aside the week before last and is going to give me the other 2 paid annual leave to say thanks.

There's perks to being on a Salary, but it really depends on the person doing the work whether they want to do the work, or if they just want to get paid. I thoroughly enjoy my job so hours aren't a worry for me, i'd rather spend an extra 2 hours to make sure everything runs smoothly for everyone else.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #85
Pis-ton broke
Banned

lets be honest here, people are saying these big hours , but are they really working those hours, ha,ha. the title says total work hours, not hours at work, I,m at work 40 atm, but only work 30.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #86
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I do 38 hours a week. Just the way I like it.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #87
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6
I personally love my job, I like being at work, the Mrs works night and I work during the day so when I get home I can still gym, uni and do whatever else I need.

We don't have kids yet but are building a stable foundation for our family in the mean time (i.e working our guts out) but once I'm at a 'lifestyle' level I'm comfortable with then I'll back off and get the work/life balance going for the sake of the family.

no having a dig . BUT THIS IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF DIVORCED , wihout realizing it . odds on this scenario will never change , i know to many people doing it .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #88
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled

very good point . the answer is because they believe the BS that people justify it with in order for it to make sense .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #89
prydey
Rob

this thread is like reading a p....ing contest. mine's bigger than yours so to speak
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #90
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
no having a dig . BUT THIS IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF DIVORCED , without realizing it . odds on this scenario will never change , i know to many people doing it .
good point , bit sad imo, two ships passing in the night. Its not what lifes about for me. I used to work 50 to 70 h/w for years but i stopped it and am pursuing my life long interest. 40h/w gets me buy ok.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post