Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-03-2015, 01:01 AM   #61
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Leaving It All Behind

Did this a few years ago. Life was complicated and I couldn't make sense of it. So I removed everything from my life to learn what I would miss, figure out what was really important. I bought a mountain out the back of nowhere. Lived in a shed, sold most my toys, quit my job, and became a hermit. I spent a couple of years being self sufficent. Learnt how to grow my own food, no bills, no power, etc. I would go for months in total solitude.

Now I have much more appreciation for what I have. I live in a simple farm house now, but its a palace compared to that shed. I only work part time but I feel like a millionaire. Have only a handful of friends but feel like the most liked guy on the planet compared to my days as a hermit. Lifes good on the other side of my little experiment.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2015, 01:08 AM   #62
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm still keen on the idea of rural property, shed with some facilities inside it as a base and 5th wheeler caravan, you could live out of a 5th wheeler you just have to be careful on what you carry around with you and if you need to chase work around you could hit the road and hit up a caravan park for a month or two etc.

You can go mobile and you can have a base to come back to.

The other option is save up a few mill and live and die on a cruise ship from health complications for flat out drinking 24/7 and only eating steak with chips

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 13-03-2015 at 01:13 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #63
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I'm still keen on the idea of rural property, shed with some facilities inside it as a base and 5th wheeler caravan, you could live out of a 5th wheeler you just have to be careful on what you carry around with you and if you need to chase work around you could hit the road and hit up a caravan park for a month or two etc.

You can go mobile and you can have a base to come back to.

The other option is save up a few mill and live and die on a cruise ship from health complications for flat out drinking 24/7 and only eating steak with chips
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ven-years.html
Old 13-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #64
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dare you to do some price comparrisons

1 live on a cruise ship for 5 years
2 live in your current house/flat whatever for 5 years
3 live most of the time in a SE Asian country or a pacific island

you have to take into account the status of your aged pension and current wealth.

I did this about 10 years ago so the pension requirements have changed but you may be surprised. Plesently surprised.
Old 13-03-2015, 06:19 PM   #65
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

It was $1750 for 13 nights on the last cruise I went on, that was all food and entertainment covered on the ship, the only thing you had to pay for was drinks.

I sent mum on a 25 day cruise around mainland Australia for $7000, but it would have been cheaper ($5000) if someone went with her.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2015, 06:22 PM   #66
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think I could do this sort of thing. I'm comfortable being by myself and frankly crave it more than most but I couldn't completely get away from it all otherwise I'd be bored very quickly.

I would love living down the coast when I retire assuming I get that far. I'd only do that though if I can comfortably afford it (no work at all) and I were able enough to keep myself busy with fishing, beach, friends etc.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #67
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres the old joke and I probobly wont remember it correctly but something like.

Steve decides to throw it all in and go bush, finds a nice quiet block builds himself a place and quickly blends into the enviorment.
One day theres a knock at the door, surprised he opens to find a giant of a man.
"Gidday, I'am Frank, welcome to the neighbourhood, your invited to a party down the road sat night".
"Great that would be nice"
"good see ya then, theres gonna be booze, some sex, maybe some fighting, etc etc be a good night".

"Oh, ar how many will be there? I havent seen many people around these parts."

"Just you an me mate"!
Old 18-03-2015, 12:07 AM   #68
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
A common thought once you turn 40.
It's a bit of... Wtf have I done with my life all these years, love to start again..
Next ya know you'll be 50 and thinking.. Why didn't I?
Then 60 and... "Oh well I'm still here but at least still breathing"!
We ALL dream of the perfect utopia.......
I hit 40 last year and thought I've been working for a little over 20 years - how the hell will I keep this up for another 30?
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 12:38 AM   #69
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
Did this a few years ago. Life was complicated and I couldn't make sense of it. So I removed everything from my life to learn what I would miss, figure out what was really important. I bought a mountain out the back of nowhere. Lived in a shed, sold most my toys, quit my job, and became a hermit. I spent a couple of years being self sufficent. Learnt how to grow my own food, no bills, no power, etc. I would go for months in total solitude.

Now I have much more appreciation for what I have. I live in a simple farm house now, but its a palace compared to that shed. I only work part time but I feel like a millionaire. Have only a handful of friends but feel like the most liked guy on the planet compared to my days as a hermit. Lifes good on the other side of my little experiment.

Hahahaha, my brother did something familiar, went bush by himself for 10 years, he now lives back in a suburban dwelling after nearly going bonkers by himself.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 12:50 AM   #70
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I'm 61 and retired self funded..
I'm sort of doing that now ..
Joined the not so grey army...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (161.5 KB, 22 views)
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: