Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #61
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Top 10 Inline Sixes Ever Made

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
i,d like to add the toyota landcruiser diesel i6. the last one that was developed, 1hd-fte. specs are 4.2l deseil. four valves /cylinder, direct injection, ohc, turbo,inter-cooler, electronically-controlled injection pump(runs on truck diesel), cast iron construction. i don,t think ive heard a bad word about them, very reliable.
The mighty 1HD-FTE...we had one of them in a 100 series Landcruiser. Super reliable big lump, and surprisingly economical for it's size. Mechanics would happily tell you that with regular oil and filter changes they will last way over 500,000km before even looking like needing work, and maybe not even then. Some pilot vehicle companies were showing up near a million kilometers without having the head or sump off.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #62
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
You may be right about the Toyota 6 but I was referring to fairly big volume sales.The RB was a good engine but was let down by being fitted to a body that didn't allow proper cooling.As for torque you are comparing 3ltrs with 3.9 or 4.ltrs and you would have to be very biased to call the 3.9ea a good engine
I had an EA turbo which I rebuilt myself and it never had one oil leak and never overheated ever. The EA 3.9 multipoint is actually a very good engine, just not when it was released in 1988. Once the sump gasket and veranda seal was updated to the later EL design and the cooling system sorted they are a very good engine. There's not too many problems with the design, but more so the way Ford choose to seal some joints. A 3.9 multi point with 5 speed manual will return brilliant fuel economy with there 2.92 factory diff gears and the large cubes insure effortless overtaking. In my eyes this engine was far superior to the V6 3.8 Holden motor.
Old 30-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #63
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
Chev stove bolt six none of these even got a mention :(
Yeah, it would have be nice if it had a mention. I would've put it on there before the red but ehh not my list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevro...aight-6_engine
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 09:15 PM   #64
Pis-ton broke
Banned

i thought the holdern six was a copy of the chev blue flame six?
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 09:20 PM   #65
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
i thought the holdern six was a copy of the chev blue flame six?
The engineers took influence from a number of existing straight-six engines but ultimately the red six was a new design.
Old 30-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #66
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely the 2V 250 gets a mention? Those things even in stock form went really good for it's time, put only a mild cam in them and they really get up and go.
Didn't they get dropped from the Falcon range because they performed similarly to the 302? Or was it emission laws that killed them?
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #67
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
The engineers took influence from a number of existing straight-six engines but ultimately the red six was a new design.
I've never understood what the big deal was with the Holden 202 motors, is it because the were Australian made? They don't seem to pump out that decent power, at least factory stock engines, is it because they respond well to mods?
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #68
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf View Post
I've never understood what the big deal was with the Holden 202 motors, is it because the were Australian made? They don't seem to pump out that decent power, at least factory stock engines, is it because they respond well to mods?
I prefer the 186. A worked 186 (or 192) with the powerglide is something to be experienced. They are a strong motor and super-easy to work on. With the right mods they can really liven up. I prefer the Ford six but have a few red motors and a couple of old Holdens too. I think they sound great, a relatively unique sound in today's traffic. Something to consider is they are a lot lighter (and shorter) than the ford six too.
Old 30-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #69
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I also think the 250 2v was an excellent engine. In fact, the 4.1 is probably the reason I ever got into Fords in the first place. My brother bought a ZL Fairlane when I was about 12. What a car.
Old 30-06-2016, 10:13 PM   #70
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
As great as the XU1 was, I think it's a big stretch to put the Holden red motor in this list.
Agreed there was never a quick one made. They were generally more than three seconds slower to 100mph than an E49. Even when Brocky drove the E49 in a Motor test back to back with a heap of other cars including Phase III HO, he said the torque of the E49 was unbelievable, that reflects my experience also. Those specially made for that engine Webers with their long runners etc. and the long stroke of the motor and a throttle body for each cylinder etc. just made for awesome bottom and mid-range pull, I'm talking as low as just over 1000rpm in top gear and still pull okay with hardly a grumble. Amazing engine, I always had V8s from my first car onwards, but first drive of an E49 and I had to have one, so I did.

Last edited by mcnews; 30-06-2016 at 10:28 PM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2016, 10:19 PM   #71
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I also think the 250 2v was an excellent engine. In fact, the 4.1 is probably the reason I ever got into Fords in the first place. My brother bought a ZL Fairlane when I was about 12. What a car.
You can actually fit a 4.1 head onto the Holden 202, it fits on back to front and lines up, a few people have done this mod and are happy with the results.
Old 30-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #72
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
You can actually fit a 4.1 head onto the Holden 202, it fits on back to front and lines up, a few people have done this mod and are happy with the results.
Yeah, I know. I would try it myself but I'm currently building a 186 with Yella Terra head. No idea when the head is from but the car I took it from looked like it was built in the 80's.
Old 30-06-2016, 10:36 PM   #73
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
Appreciate the feedback. If I made a V6 list what would I include? I was thinking Alfa busso, L76, Ferrari dino, xj220, 2GR-FSE, giulia, ford GT vr38 any others?
The word V6 did not exist for me until 1978. Until a bud, whose V8 was in the shop for modifications, borrowed his Sisters V6 1971 Capri. Gads, I fell in love, not just with the car (if I get lucky, I'll grab one), but with this mysterious V6 thingy.
The Essex engine for sure. Many guises and can be worked to the max. A brilliant Ford piece of Steel.
A Wiki intro...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Essex_V6_engine_(UK)

But make sure we keep the straight 6 thread just that. V, W, Flat, not here.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 10:39 PM   #74
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Dad had a new 3.0S Capri around 1980, was a nice looking car at the time and was good for 130mph, with mum screaming in the front and me laughing in the back at seven years of age. The next model was downsized to 2.8 but had a turbo added and were a pretty quick car for the early 80s era. Were quite nice inside for that era too actually.
Old 30-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #75
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Older brother's first car was (I think) either a 220 or 250 Ford XP Super Pursuit auto. He used to give it the hammer and being front bench seat without headrests, I would get a sore neck from the g force after every trip to the shops.
Like I hinted earlier. The 4L NA I6, with almost 50 years between the Super Pursuit (push rods, 2 valves etc) should be so much more.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Old 30-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #76
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya View Post
Older brother's first car was (I think) either a 220 or 250 Ford XP Super Pursuit auto. He used to give it the hammer and being front bench seat without headrests, I would get a sore neck from the g force after every trip to the shops.
Like I hinted earlier. The 4L NA I6, with almost 50 years between the Super Pursuit (push rods, 2 valves etc) should be so much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
The late 70's - 1980 Mitsubishi Triton or Dodge Ram D-50 is an interesting case for argument as from the windscreen forward it's a Mitsubishi Lancer / Plythouth Arrow / Mitsubishi Celeste; so hatch back coupé based rather than sedan based.
Well it would have originally been probably a 200 but maybe had been changed to either a 221 or even a 250 pretty common conversion
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 11:36 PM   #77
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree Tassie, was probably a 221 drop in. I was only emerging as a motrorhead back then. He sold the XP for a HQ 2dr Monaro 245, Canary Yellow with black stripes. Came with the usual stuffed lifters, and even blew out the odd spark plug on the road.
I picked and fixed up the unit a few times, but still learning the beast.
Dad welded the front seats, the original braces were crap and broke. But the HQ was a beautiful car. There we were. Older brother had a Monaro, younger brother had a Charger and I was set to start looking at a Hardtop. Both cars got T boned. Missed out on the HT. What a coupe family it could have been.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:30 AM   #78
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Agreed there was never a quick one made. They were generally more than three seconds slower to 100mph than an E49. Even when Brocky drove the E49 in a Motor test back to back with a heap of other cars including Phase III HO, he said the torque of the E49 was unbelievable, that reflects my experience also. Those specially made for that engine Webers with their long runners etc. and the long stroke of the motor and a throttle body for each cylinder etc. just made for awesome bottom and mid-range pull, I'm talking as low as just over 1000rpm in top gear and still pull okay with hardly a grumble. Amazing engine, I always had V8s from my first car onwards, but first drive of an E49 and I had to have one, so I did.

Size of the fight in the dog.... GM were going to make a hotter Monaro but they went with the Torana XU-1.
Less tyre wear, fuel consumption. And by the time the LJ homologation specials had come about they were quick enough.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2016, 08:34 AM   #79
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Honourable mention for the Au 4.0 Intech Vtc, a very good but underrated motor Imo.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #80
wildpete

If your going to include diesels I would say the the "B" series cummins would probably top the list. They surpassed 8 million units produced a few years ago.
wildpete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2016, 12:07 PM   #81
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
There is also the rare at the time, and even rarer now, 250 2V motor that was optional in the XY and XA model years. Factory rated at 170hp or 126kw, it took years for an I6 revision to make those numbers again.
The 170hp 127kw were gross power figures only for the 250 2V and 155hp for the normal 250, now in net power figures the stock 155hp 250 is rated at 111hp, I don't know the net of the 250 2V as a guess maybe 126hp.

The XE EFI 4.1L had 111kw in DIN power figures and that's 149hp so she is making more power truly than a 250 2V

XF leaded 4.1L carby is making 103kw = 138hp in DIN so I would say it makes more power then a 2502V

XD 4.1L has 94KW = 126HP DIN so she is making more power then a 250 2V.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #82
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Surely the 2V 250 gets a mention? Those things even in stock form went really good for it's time, put only a mild cam in them and they really get up and go.
Didn't they get dropped from the Falcon range because they performed similarly to the 302? Or was it emission laws that killed them?
The XY had a full import 302 engine and the thing was ford Australia started making it's own 302 in the XA so the been counters came into play and ford tried to push the V8 more so to get the numbers up.

Nothing to do with emissions at all.

VG Pacer with the hemi 245 2BBL performed much better than any 250 2V.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #83
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes the Holden 202 engine can respond well to mods better than the old log ford 6 and the X flow 4.1L is limited to be a good high rev engine and the 3.3L rod ratio is wrong, only the old XR falcon 200 engine had a good rod ratio but for that log head that limited it's potential and tossing a 2V head on it lowered the compression.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #84
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Dad had a new 3.0S Capri around 1980, was a nice looking car at the time and was good for 130mph, with mum screaming in the front and me laughing in the back at seven years of age. The next model was downsized to 2.8 but had a turbo added and were a pretty quick car for the early 80s era. Were quite nice inside for that era too actually.
The Capri's were all V6. I think they even had a V4 early on. I didn't know there were any Turbo models Factory?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2016, 02:54 PM   #85
AussieCJ7

The inline 6 was the AMC 258, while not a HP monster had bucket loads of torque, would run on almost any fuel and the block was used virtually unchanged from early 70's to around 2002, with AMC going into the chrysler 4.0L that powered Jeeps
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #86
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
The Capri's were all V6. I think they even had a V4 early on. I didn't know there were any Turbo models Factory?
The standard Capri came with a 1.6 engine as fitted to the earlier Cortinas
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #87
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Was actually called the Ford KENT... (family of 4 cylinder engines)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #88
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Yep early 1980s sportier Capri went from 3.0 down to 2.8 and gained a Turbo. Came with Tickford badging etc.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:17 AM   #89
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great thread.
Well done on including the Jag XK, amazing as of when it was designed. And incorporated with IRS in the early 60's or sooner
Hemi 6 was a blast, great strong motor. 225 2bbl slant very punchy from memory too.
1HD-T gets a vote from me, the first turbo diesel in the Toyota line that culminates in the 1HD-FTE.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2016, 10:36 AM   #90
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, great engine. but they also had a range of other 4 cylinder engines straight and v's
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post