Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #61
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Sick of thieves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
I actually don't mind that movie
While I don't know of any personally, I am sure there must be female mechanics around and I am sure that they would be very capable.

If a chick gets it wrong it's because she's a chick and isn't good enough for any sort of technical work. If a dude gets it wrong it's because he just made a mistake.

Any error made by a chick seems to be used as evidence that she's not suitable for any sort of technical work. I'd be willing the bet that as a result they probably work/study/practise twice as hard because they know they're under such unfair scrutiny and can't afford to ever get it wrong.
You are so right Leesa!!When my daughter worked in our shop it was always Yeah alright but can I talk to your father. When I said she probably knows as much as me the answer was usually,oh I didn,t doubt her,I just wanted another opinion.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2017, 04:21 PM   #62
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
You are so right Leesa!!When my daughter worked in our shop it was always Yeah alright but can I talk to your father. When I said she probably knows as much as me the answer was usually,oh I didn,t doubt her,I just wanted another opinion.
It's a bizarre thing isn't it?
Try and talk about it in-person with someone and they'll say all the right things (like "I don't doubt her, I just wanted another opinion") but talk about it online where there's a degree of anonymity available and people are far more willing to open up. The responses I've had are generally along the lines of the following:
  • a female brain isn't as capable of technical tasks as a man's
  • a female brain doesn't absorb educational material as well as a male brain does
  • even if they have the theoretical knowledge, women won't develop the skills or hand/eye coordination to do the job as well as a man would

Archaic, right? Treated like second class citizens because they have an innie between their legs instead of an outie.
That's all probably getting a bit off-topic though I suppose
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #63
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Arrow Re: Sick of thieves.

Quote:
It's a bizarre thing isn't it?
Try and talk about it in-person with someone and they'll say all the right things (like "I don't doubt her, I just wanted another opinion") but talk about it online where there's a degree of anonymity available and people are far more willing to open up. The responses I've had are generally along the lines of the following:
  • a female brain isn't as capable of technical tasks as a man's
  • a female brain doesn't absorb educational material as well as a male brain does
  • even if they have the theoretical knowledge, women won't develop the skills or hand/eye coordination to do the job as well as a man would

Archaic, right? Treated like second class citizens because they have an innie between their legs instead of an outie.
That's all probably getting a bit off-topic though I suppose
Leesa, I fully encourage female participation on the AFF. The forum is not a closed group for males, regardless of what some minorities may think.

You stand on your legs and give what you get - don't take no crap for being a lady on here.

There's always the "report" button in which a mod will help you out.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2017, 06:39 PM   #64
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
The forum is not a closed group for males, regardless of what some minorities may
Whoa, let me apologise incase I've given anyone the wrong idea. I haven't been an active member on this forum very long but I have not encountered any opinions here like what I referred to in my prior post.

I was referring to other places on the internet where people are willing to speak up about why they view women as inferior in the workplace/society in general, as you won't often get anyone willing to say why to your face. It's an unfortunate situation that noone seems to want to talk about in person but you can pry the most bizarre opinions from people online about why/what they think of women.

AFF seems to be a very civilised online forum where anyone can post their opinion - even if it's unpopular - and not get stomped into the ground for it.
6 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #65
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I actually don't mind that movie
While I don't know of any personally, I am sure there must be female mechanics around and I am sure that they would be very capable.

If a chick gets it wrong it's because she's a chick and isn't good enough for any sort of technical work. If a dude gets it wrong it's because he just made a mistake.

Any error made by a chick seems to be used as evidence that she's not suitable for any sort of technical work. I'd be willing the bet that as a result they probably work/study/practise twice as hard because they know they're under such unfair scrutiny and can't afford to ever get it wrong.

stop for a moment

have you actually worked alongside female tradies??
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #66
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought an innie was a belly button not a vagina.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #67
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Guys...

Can we get back on the topic of bagging mechanics and how they rip people off please.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #68
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Guys...

Can we get back on the topic of bagging mechanics and how they rip people off please.
yea nup

im slightly miffed that female tradies were negged against / internertz / stereotyped /

not on my crew
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2017, 09:50 PM   #69
.:4:.
Kicking back

Just to digress sometimes companies, tradies, whatever do the right thing. I got sent a job last Thursday to fix a light that sat over a wall in an office that the handyman couldn't change the lamps in and also there was a light in the boardroom that didn't turn off. So on Thursday I sorted out the light over the wall in no time but the boardroom was booked. That's nothing unusual, so today I rang ahead (the previous email was sent within 20 minutes of me getting there which is a good response time) and had the board room booked to me and I sorted it out in about 10 minutes. When I looked for the job card it had already been invoiced. I left it open. Turns out the light that didn't turn off was one of the other boys callbacks. I still get paid for it, but I didn't know somebody else made a blue. As an employee it's nice on occasion to see they don't charge for stuff ups that the client (I've been working for for 11 years) would simply pay for anyway.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #70
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now, PLEASE BACK TO THE TOPIC.

Last edited by GasoLane; 29-11-2017 at 09:13 PM. Reason: See post 67
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #71
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg2 View Post
guys...and girls

can we get back on the topic of bagging mechanics and how they rip people off please.
:d
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #72
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
yea nup

im slightly miffed that female tradies were negged against / internertz / stereotyped /

not on my crew
I'm with you on this the best plant mechanic apprentice went onto be a tradesperson with the company for many years was a femail

And she wasn't a bulldyke before anyone suggests, I've lost contact with her now but she was a stunning girl and last I saw of her she was married with 2 great kids and still in the trade

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2017, 11:07 PM   #73
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Took my 16 month old Calais V in for a service today.

Them: "We'll also do a Safety Check, for you..." (costing whatever)

Me: "Why would a 16 month old, 20 thousand km car need a safety check...?"

Them: "Ok, we won't worry about that..."

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #74
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going back a few years now I took the VE in for either 60 or 90K service - can't remember. I told them the front swaybar links were knocking. Got the "yeah we'll look at them."

Picked the car up, no change. Rang & complained "bring it back" they said.

They had it all day, and when I picked it up thet told me it was fixed "Just a loose strut mate, all sorted". Did you road test is "Yep, she's all good."

All I had to do was drive out the driveway, and it clunked again. But being 5pm Friday I didn't want to stick around. The clunking was horrendous, and it was joined by a tapping noise.

Got home, popped the bonnet, and there's a combo ring spanner hanging off the RH strut.

Went back Monday, offered him the spanner back, and took him for a drive out the driveway - replicating the clunk. "Oh, that sounds like swaybar links" - no **** sherlock, I've only told you 3 times now.....

Best one that dealer did was a lifter change on one of the AFM cars at work. Apprentice got 15 of them out & went to smoko. Next guy takes over, not realising the 16th had dropped through. Re-assembled with a new cam & lifters, and first crank punched that lifter out the side of the block. They didn't admit it until 4 days later when handing over paperwork to tell my colleague to got to the RTA and change the engine number.....
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #75
Itsme
Experienced Member

I was ripped off when I first got my licence driving cars as I knew jack sh#t at the time but soon wised up after paying exorbitant and unnecessary repair bills.
I soon had quite a few family members and friends teach me the basic fundamentals of car repairs to stop the parasites leeching off me with their B.S. stories.
One thing I've learned is I make it clear no unauthorised work to be carried unless I get a 2nd written quote for the required repair/s, I do not authorise over the phone as I prefer talk face to face.

I feel sorry for the people who have no understanding of mechanical skills as you will be at the mercy of unscrupulous mechanical workshops as to what B.S. they feed to you.

Cheers.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #76
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I had a control arm bush wear out and get squeaky but didn't have the tools or know-how to replace it so I called around to get a shop to do it. The first shop I called insisted on me "bringing the car over for a look first" but didn't actually even look at it when I got there. Some guy laid on his back on the ground, looked briefly under my car and then got up. He wasn't even looking near the bushing that I was talking about.

He gets my details, says he'll fill out a work sheet/quote and email it to me. Quote comes in later that day...... for $1900! Wow! As if!
So I called another shop and had a new bush supplied and fitted for about $170 from memory.

The first shop got back in touch to say they hadn't heard back about my quote so I told them I'd already had it done for $170 somewhere else and it seemed like they were trying to rip me off with their $1900 quote. There was a lot of fumbling and the guy says that my quote was to replace all of the upper and lower rear control arms AND all the bushes. That sounded like a load of crap to me because the work sheet clearly listed just replacement of the one bush that I'd referred to.

Trying to find a good shop is really hard. Trying to find a good shop as a chick is even harder. Please consider helping your female friends and family when you can, even if it's just with advice
Me thinks he just wanted to check you out leesa!
Old 01-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #77
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Me thinks he just wanted to check you out leesa!
He must have been disappointed as ****, no wonder he quoted me $1900.

(The off-topic-ness has been noted by multiple people. Let's get it back on-topic before someone shoots me)

Last edited by GasoLane; 01-12-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Don't try to avoid the censor
Old 02-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #78
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Naughty trick I did while at uni - VB Comm needed a new exhaust. Went to one place for verbal quote (I stated it was stuffed in muffler and front muffler so as to not waste his time overly). Quote given - i asked for business card. Wrote figure -20% on card and when to another place. can you beat by 10% - presto job done.
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #79
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Overquoting is code for politely saying we (the workshop) dont work on those vehicles because (1) - shh, we want easy plug & play non diagnosis work only or (2) - they fictionally say we have too much work on atm but call us back in a month to see if we can fit you in - back to option 1 perhaps?..lol!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #80
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post
Took my 16 month old Calais V in for a service today.

Them: "We'll also do a Safety Check, for you..." (costing whatever)

Me: "Why would a 16 month old, 20 thousand km car need a safety check...?"

Them: "Ok, we won't worry about that..."
Are you seriously thinking a 16month old car wouldn't need a safety check?

You clearly know very little about what your driving

Old 03-12-2017, 08:38 AM   #81
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post

Well Yeti I,m with Ron on this one.Why would a 20,000 km car need a safety check??I wouldn,t be paying a service place a heap of dollars to do something I can do quite easily myself at no cost.All the service person is going to do is have a cursory look,while thinking,this is an easy few bucks
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #82
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So nothing could have gone wrong mechanically in the previous 16 months / 20000km?

If that's the case and nothing can go wrong in 16months / 20000km then by that deduction nothing would go wrong in 32months and 40000km or 64months and 80000km

Old 03-12-2017, 08:49 PM   #83
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

Edit: I'll edit my first response.

Obviously you wouldn't know whether the car needed a safety check, or in fact, what checks are carried out in that scheduled service.

Suffice to say, I do know so I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited by ronwest; 03-12-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #84
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Safety Check... Logic tells me that the older a car gets, the more kilometres its done... The more a safety check becomes important.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #85
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Safety Check... Logic tells me that the older a car gets, the more kilometres its done... The more a safety check becomes important.
Yes.

We all love motherhood statements.

A chance for everyone to agree

Old 04-12-2017, 06:58 AM   #86
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post

But it didn't need one at 20000 and it's only done 20000 since it didn't need the last one so why bother doing one at 40000 then if at 60000 it's only done 20 since it didn't need one at 40000 ergo why bother doing one at all

Old 04-12-2017, 10:39 AM   #87
ronwest

Quote:
But it didn't need one at 20000 and it's only done 20000 since it didn't need the last one so why bother doing one at 40000 then if at 60000 it's only done 20 since it didn't need one at 40000 ergo why bother doing one at all
Oh, ok... let's do this :(

Firstly, I changed my original response to your very superior reply to me as I figure that it's the internet and it's full of clueless people who run their mouths.

Second, you're the only one waffling on about future safety checks not being needed. It must be a "thin edge of the wedge" mentality.

Third, as superior as you think are, you have an astonishing ignorance of what I might know about my vehicle.

Ok, preamble over let's get to the nitty gritty (I'll make it as simple as I can)...

If you've never owned a new or low km car you probably don't know what the manufacturers servicing requires. Under those circumstances you also may not know that dealers "up sell" (attempt to add low cost items at a premium price to the bill).

The "safety check" is a great earner as fearful people get a bit insecure if they don't have it done - you could imagine granny (or yourself) turning up for a 20K service and being offered a "safety check" (won't somebody think of the grandchildren)...

So, because I already know what the manufactures service entails, I know that a safety check isn't required.

How do I know that?

Well, instead of pretending I have a clue I looked it up.

Simple really...

As you no doubt know a fair bit more than me about these things I've included the service printout for your perusal.

Get back to me as to why you would pay and extra $84 (on this $239 service) for a "safety check", otherwise probably better to stick to stuff you know something about.

Cheers...

6 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #88
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

What does a safety check include Yeti?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #89
Itsme
Experienced Member

Well said ronwest, if only people read what a service entails they would understand what you get for your money, a safety check is part of your service.

Cheers.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #90
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Not to mention, anything not picked up as a service item would fall under the factory warranty for a 16 month old 20k vehicle. If that were the case, why would the customer have to pay to get a warranty covered item identified as unsafe.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post