Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-08-2005, 07:58 PM   #61
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

That is basically how it is now in Vic, P platers have fewer points to lose.

The tolerance as far as I know is 3km/h across the board, to which they add 3km/h for equipment tolerance so I seriously doubt you will get booked for doing 62km/h actual speed in a 60 zone. In a 100 zone where it tends to be real live human cops, doing 102km/h would not get a second glance.

It is only 1 demerit point for up to 10km/h - ie "careless" speeding. So you get 12 wake up calls before you lose your licence. If you don't notice or accidentally go more than 10km/h over the limit you really need to pay more attention when driving.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 08:01 PM   #62
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

The answer is quite simple everyone.
DO NOT SPEED hence no fines, no demerits, no worries..........seems to me that is EXACTLY what speed cameras and so called revenue raising exercises set out to do. I can testify that it works...........I cannot afford a fine...therefore I won't speed.

YES IT IS THAT SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 08:29 PM   #63
EL_futuraistic

Default zero tolerance

yeah, when you are radared by a real police officer they drop 3km/h from your "alleged speed", then whatever your at is your "actual speed" which is compared to your "allowed speed"

Speed camera's in victoria however, do not offer the same courtesy, if you are doing 63km/h or 53km/h you will be flashed, fined $115 and 1 point will be deducted from your licence.

In victoria it is the owners responsibility to maintain their vehicle with an accurate speedo. To open another can of worms, I believe they should have a annual RWC system for Victorian Vehicles as do NSW.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 08:03 AM   #64
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

I've been thinking about this over night and partially agree with some previous posters. Maybe the answer is a "Kilometres per year" based system to supplement the current time based system of point replacement. Professional drivers would then need to register with the relevent gov. body and use their log books as evidence to reclaim their points at the same point rate (3 per year?) per 20,000 Km. The distance required would be based on that states yearly average. This would work across the board, but how do you track "Joe & Jane Bloggs". There are people out there who only travel less than 5000 Km's per year, if these people are losing points at above the average rate, then they should have to wait longer to get their points back because they are obviously a "worse than average" driver.
What do you think?

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 08:55 AM   #65
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_futuraistic
For some reason in Victoria Mr Bracks and Christine Nixon seem to think that attacking speed is the real reason for road fatalities, well the revenue raised by speed camera's certainly justifys it even if people are still dying on the roads.
Unfortunally, those in the know, understand that the enforced speed laws are for making money only and there has been no proof that it has saved a life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
This would mean that for the 'average' person, gets their L's at 16, P's at 18, Full at 21 (is that right? I can't remember) and you have the default 4 or 6 points of a P plater until they turn 25 assuming they have not lost their licence in that period. This is assuming Victoria licencing and registration rules.
This would work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
DO NOT SPEED hence no fines, no demerits, no worries..........seems to me that is EXACTLY what speed cameras and so called revenue raising exercises set out to do.
So Yaw, you know your actual speed all the time and you make allowance for tyre wear??
If you say that you 'wipe of 5' to be safe, well firstly my parents' stock AU has a speedo that is out buy 10klms @100 and secondly wiping of more than five it more dangerous than good.
Quote:
In victoria it is the owners responsibility to maintain their vehicle with an accurate speedo. To open another can of worms, I believe they should have a annual RWC system for Victorian Vehicles as do NSW.
You can not fine tune a standard speedo with 2%. Also yearly RWC is a farce and will not make the roads any safer. Police need to target un RWC cars, not just modified ones!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 11:03 AM   #66
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
So Yaw, you know your actual speed all the time and you make allowance for tyre wear??
If you say that you 'wipe of 5' to be safe, well firstly my parents' stock AU has a speedo that is out buy 10klms @100 and secondly wiping of more than five it more dangerous than good.
LTDHO,
Last speeding fine I got was in a school zone that was limited to 40klm between the hours of 7.00am and 9.00 am school days.
I was going downhill at 8.57 am doing 43 klms per hour and was fined $120.00 and 2 demerit points aproxamitley 3-4 years ago.
The cop was very professional and guess what, he was 100% correct, I did the wrong thing and before leaving I said to the cop "Thankyou for being so professional and have a nice day"

So once again I will repeat it
DO NOT SPEED AND YOU HAVE NO WORRIES!!!!!!!

It further appears to me that it is a minority of people that get fined for speeding now days, not a majority as most people like me cannot afford it.

For the amount of licences vs the amount of speeding fines a year I would doubt very much it would even be 3%.
(Admiting here I pulled that figure out of the air, if you have actual figures on this I would be very much interested to know.)

Last edited by Yaw; 03-08-2005 at 11:25 AM.
Yaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #67
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

[QUOTE=Yaw]

So once again I will repeat it
DO NOT SPEED AND YOU HAVE NO WORRIES!!!!!!!

[\QUOTE]

you can speed all you want, just don't be stupid about it and don't do it around urban areas, i know a hell of alot of places where ppl can go whatever speeds they want and no-one has ever been done or crashed that i know of, you just have to be smart about it thats all. untill they get more speedways around the place i'll just stick to my fun roads :

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 11:27 AM   #68
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDrifter
How are demerits points fair you ask?

Because its a one rule suits all situation! Its stupidity to suggest that the "wealthy" should be demerited more then anybody else.

I do around a minimal 12,000klm a year, and i earn a resonable amount per year, hence I pay more in tax already, so why should i be demerited more?

If your on the road more often, i put it to you that you should be more guarded in your driving style. If you've done something wrong, then deal with it, you wont see me crying in my beer if i get a speeding fine, but then i've only ever had one. Theres a lesson in that.... and it's; DONT SPEED!
Hooray a sensible answer.

I do a lot of mileage (and some people do mare than I do as well) ... i do just over 1,000km a week ... sometimes 2,000 or slightly more ... and I know I have a high chance of being caught for silly little things.

I have to be careful when driving ... because I NEEEEEED my licence for both my jobs.

Yeah i get the annoyed if i get done for some thing (like driving in a T3 lane during prescribed times with only myself in the ute .... lost 3 points for it) ... but i know i was at fault ... even though i needed to turn at the next street ... but it was over the 100m distance from where I was caught .... hence I was in the wrong.

I have to be careful .... I love my cruise control. But I still need to be careful in the city too ... especially when it comes to loading zone times and parking times as well ... transit lanes ... variable speed cameras around schools ... you name it ... I have to deal with it.

Everyone has to.

I just got all my points back recently .. and was then hit with the 3-point demerit ... I still have 9 points left ... but i have been keeping my nose clean s i don't attract more points/fines.

It really isn't hard keeping to the speed limits ... and you have need to keep an eagle eye out for cops hiding with radar guns.

Also when someone else mentioned about demerit points get changed ... I heard many notices on the TV (all major channels about it) .... so the public was informed .... and as your duty as a road user/driver ... YOU are the responsible one to "GO TO THE RTA" and pick up the pamphlets they "HAVE ON DISPLAY" for the public "FOR FREE".

It's not hard really ... it's just a lot of people have a problem with laziness ... c'mon we're not as bad as a America just yet when it comes to laziness.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #69
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
In NSW there is no check on if your speedo is accurate to get your car through registration.

I would really like it if they changed that, so that it is compulsory. I know the EA is out, not sure by how much but I know it is (when everyone seems slow, you're overtaking them, and your speedo says 80kph, there's something wrong).

It would put my mind at rest, not having to "guess" what speed I am doing all the freaking time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 05:16 PM   #70
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
In NSW there is no check on if your speedo is accurate to get your car through registration.

I would really like it if they changed that, so that it is compulsory. I know the EA is out, not sure by how much but I know it is (when everyone seems slow, you're overtaking them, and your speedo says 80kph, there's something wrong).

It would put my mind at rest, not having to "guess" what speed I am doing all the freaking time...
Go to an instrument calibration place ... should be a few in the Yellow Pages ... I had it done to a previous car ... cost $90 to do back then ... and they check all the parts ... tighten and replace any aging bits and pieces ... also give it a good (mechanism).

Well worth the money in my honest opinion.

When i was living at Camden I had Macarthur instruments come out to my house and they did it there.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post