Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #61
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
How much harder would it be to have an option for the 6T engine? It couldn't be that difficult could it?

It would be good for them to take advantage of an opportunity.
Easy as ****. They did it to a Territory without any dramas, and that has more variables than another sedan, which has none as the XR6T is the same.

Fords thinking at the moment seems to be that unless you want an XR, sporty means suspension tune (aka G8, Fairmont Ghia, which are just XR spec anyway).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #62
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of people have got to get over the fact that they are not building this engine from scratch. It's essentially the same body as the XR6T too.

Like I said take a step forward and make something of an opportunity rather than wait for it to become a directive.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2006, 10:13 PM   #63
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Like I said take a step forward and make something of an opportunity rather than wait for it to become a directive.
That would mean growing some balls, cant see that happening for a while unfortnuately...

Thats the only thing I like about Holden, they give things a go, sometimes they work, sometimes they dont, but atleast they know in the end.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-11-2006, 10:14 PM   #64
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't there a turbo in the pipeline for Holden? You can bet your *** it would most probably be an option on the Calais!
Old 24-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #65
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Isn't there a turbo in the pipeline for Holden? You can bet your *** it would most probably be an option on the Calais!
Im not competely sure about turbo, but a turbo diesel wouldn't suprise me.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-11-2006, 12:07 AM   #66
Slow Ute

little off topic but i went to ford today and looked at the Force8. very very nice, was very impressed. at $76k i wont b buying 1 any time soon.

i can see where u blokes are coming from with regards to the Ghia turbo, i would imagine u need to sell a fair few per year to make a model viable and ford dont think they will sell. maybe if the force 6/8 do well they might try it.
2005 toyota hilux V6 auto 14.9 @89mph SOLD :the_finge
starting new project 2007 (probably 2009) sleep:
Slow Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 12:31 AM   #67
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The model is viable!!!!
It is an xr 6 turbo driveline in a fairmont ghia. Surely this cant be the hardest thing in the world to organise.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 01:03 AM   #68
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it has to do with the Front bumper on normal Falcons and Fairmonts not being certified for the Turbo engines. XR bumpers has a wider opening.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 01:20 AM   #69
TZAKHAMMER
TZAKHAMMER

Dear Santa

I would like a platinum fairmont ghia 4.0lt turbo, 6 speed Manual, full charcoal leather interior , premium sound and sunroof. i swear i have been good apart from the nisssan & toyota in my garage but i couldnt help it. I will leave you a nice big carrot if i get it.

Mazettoff!
Old 25-11-2006, 03:12 AM   #70
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
I would say not in the next 5 years. I spoke to Ford HQ directly. They said it would never happen due to marketing issues, thats the offical answer.
Which marketing issue is that? The one where Ford couldn't sell ice cream in a heat wave?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 10:58 AM   #71
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Perhaps they are worried it eat into Force 6 sales?

Like flappist has already mentioned, how many punters here actually buy new cars? Is it about bragging rights? About good reading in your motor and wheels?Although it is very easy for them to give you a turbo ghia, how many of you will go to your local Ford dealer to purchase one?
Old 25-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #72
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I'm sure a lot of people want one and would be willing to put the bucks down. However Ford know that at the end of the day they will either sell a fully optioned XR6T, a 4.0 Ghia or a 3V Ghia.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 06:04 PM   #73
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

I'm currently 24 and recently bought an XR5 because I found the Falcon to not feel 'different' enough from Dads AU to warrant the purchase (yes they are radically different but I just cant get over the carry over doors and the interior 'feel').

I would have been in the market for an XR6T had it been going for a better price, or a Fairmont Ghia if it came in turbo.

I like the muscular looks of the XRs, but I also like the feel of Fairmonts with their slightly more upmarket style interior. Vehicle age/style concerns aside, it would have been an 11th hour toss up between the two, but the Fairmont wasnt available in a go fast turbo model, so it was eliminated from the equation.

The XR6T proved to be too dear (mostly due to popularity) and due to my initial bias against driving such a similar 'feeling' car to the AU it too was dismissed from my list of automotive options. I walked away with the foooly shmick XR5 instead, which admittedly was the car I had my heart set on the whole time.

Now, if a Fairmont Ghia turbo was available and at a sensible price (negotiated to approx $55K say), I would not be the owner of a XR5, DESPITE my hesitation over buying into an old platform.

From my point of view there is no logical reason for NOT having a turbo Fairmont.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #74
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
From my point of view there is no logical reason for NOT having a turbo Fairmont.
I agree there is a market for it. Look at the Liberty GT for example. Luxury sedan with a nice turbo engine. Goes fast, looks good, and is luxurious!
Old 26-11-2006, 09:50 AM   #75
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Quote:
Which marketing issue is that? The one where Ford couldn't sell ice cream in a heat wave?
Thats the one.

If Ford was to seriously concider it, I could raise half a dozen deposits from people I know who would purchase a brand spanker.

If Ford was serious they would be fishing in the waters to see whats biting. Its pretty clear from this thread, that people would be interested. I honestly can't think of a more exciting ford product than a Fairmont Ghia turbo.

Not to mention flow on effect such as increasing interest in the Fairmont Ghia in general securing its resale value.

Buying 2nd hand cars is just as important as buying new. Resale value is one of the prime concerns for new car buyers on leases. The Ghia has previously suffered with some of the lowest resale in the business.

Look at the popularity of Subarus and Toyotas. Solid resale values. Popular cars with private buyers.

380/magna, poor resale, not very popular esp with private buyers.

Turbo halo redeems the XR6. The same can be done for the Ghia.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 11:25 PM   #76
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
Exactly. I've been wondering why it doesn't exist since the BA first came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 01:12 AM   #77
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

i think a car with luxury looks but with the turbo would be great!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 01:30 AM   #78
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys...

BA-BF is dead, if there is any chance of a turbo 6 ghia then it will be in orion.

I am just wondering what would happen if the V8 was dropped completely and T6 implemented right accross the range where the 3v is available now. It makes sense, same power and torque, less fuel, less weight and cheaper rego.
Of course it would be a bit embarrassing when the XR8 becomes the SLOWEST model available.

I can hear the screaming already..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 11:23 AM   #79
janek
Ripping it up

Force them to bring out a blower on the 8

FUN!

still turbo ghia would win in my books
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #80
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

there is obviously a market for them.. just look at the force6 orders already!!
there'd be heaps more sales if there was a 15k+ cheaper option!!
Old 27-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #81
McobraR
me may my mo

No turbo fairmont ghia? being honest, before i saw this thread and ever since i saw the new-look on the ghia's, i thought they'd throw in the turbo engine to match its looks... i guess i was wrong. Now ford... whats the point of adding a sporty bodykit, with no sporty engine?
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 07:21 PM   #82
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

patience will be rewarded....
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #83
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
patience will be rewarded....
I reckon, .._2:
Old 28-11-2006, 04:20 PM   #84
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Interior on Orion Ghia has been seen (i haven't as yet.....don't know if i will) and is said to be another great step above and beyond the BA design. Those that were there to see it said they were very impressed.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 08:43 AM   #85
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
Interior on Orion Ghia has been seen (i haven't as yet.....don't know if i will) and is said to be another great step above and beyond the BA design. Those that were there to see it said they were very impressed.
I hope the leather seats are climate controlled - i.e. heat option in winter and cool option in summer. I love that feature on many Euro cars I have been in. _2:
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 09:03 AM   #86
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Well we hope it is, the market has moved on.

Tri-zone airconditioning, temperature controlled seats, fridges, 18" wheels, media entertainment systems, more space, xenons, glass roofs, power rear seats, curtain airbags, DVD screens, front and rear parking sensors, cameras etc etc etc. I would expect the turbo Ghia to put out 280Kw in the standard Ghia body with the Typhoon making 300kw.

The market isn't stationary.

For a Fairmont Ghia Turbo you need class equaling performance/power (none of this near enough stuff), and extremely impressive luxury.
Old 29-11-2006, 09:09 AM   #87
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I just hope they have proper leather seats again, not this plastic backing crap they have now.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 29-11-2006, 09:12 AM   #88
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
Well we hope it is, the market has moved on.

Tri-zone airconditioning, temperature controlled seats, fridges, 18" wheels, media entertainment systems, more space, xenons, glass roofs, power rear seats, curtain airbags, DVD screens, front and rear parking sensors, cameras etc etc etc. I would expect the turbo Ghia to put out 280Kw in the standard Ghia body with the Typhoon making 300kw.

The market isn't stationary.

For a Fairmont Ghia Turbo you need class equaling performance/power (none of this near enough stuff), and extremely impressive luxury.
I hope so too or it cant hope to compete against cars like the Liberty GT ect.

By the way what is tri-zone air con (I assume front of car, back of car and ?)
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:06 PM   #89
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

New Statesman has Tri-zone. Two front and one rear zone. Some Audi's have quad-zone two front and two rear.

How about a cup holder and head rest for each of the 5 people. Ford falls over on some pretty basic lists. Audio quality has yet to improve from EF levels.

In a Ghia/LTD these should be heated/cooled atleast for the front passengers as well.

They have to lift themselves to not just do all the basics right (eg heatrests, cup holders) but also the best of the euro/jap features.

Then they can worry about quality, noise, depth of engineering, build. Which are critical in this market.

How about some real wood and real leather in a SWB LTD and some real personality.
Old 29-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #90
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
Just tell me that the Ghia has 2x front FULLY electric seats and I'll put the knives down.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post