Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #91
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why is Ford really giving up on Falcon and Territory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makovic View Post
Detroit figured we weren't worth it.

Gave us the world's best donk - the barra, still wasn't good enough. Good luck with all the imported crap. We are gonna get exactly what we deserve.
The Barra had its day, well 13 years.
But the Eco boost range of engines have it covered in every fashion.
I hope we get what we deserve
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #92
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Buy local you say - What is local when the glass is from China , engine from Mexico and Transmission from France. Is it local because it is assembled locally?
Manufacturers source their supplies from all over the world and we have to buy local? Some of the steel used to produce Hyundais is made from australian iron ore .
You are also forgetting the actual product needs to competitive - so if people are moving to smaller vehicles and SUV/Dual Cabs you need to follow. Ranger is a good example - make a decent product and it will sell. Pity it is not local.Foreign ownership is a wonderful thing ? Especially when they decide to pull out ?
That's why I said buy local if you can, not buy local at all costs

Exporting iron ore is very small as its a low value, high quantity export.

Alternatively complex manufacturing is high value

As I explained, GDP measures value added. If you add a lot of value to the process or product then you help the economy a lot, if you add little value then you help the economy a little

Foreign owned manufacturing of high value value complex goods is better for the economy than local owned, low value add production

Get so frustrated at people who just want to argue for the sake of it.

We are talking incremental benefits of individual actions guys

If a foreign manufacturer imports an Australian semi finished good, that helps

If a local manufacturer includes an imported intermediate good (like a windscreen) that doesn't mean the contributon of the finished product doesn't help.

The simple fact is if you do what you can, when you can, it WILL help

The fact that people don't get it is what makes me think we have a long hard road ahead as a small economy full of happily ignorant consumers
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2016, 09:51 PM   #93
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
Well I'm glad someone here does!

Just a quick one cause its late and I'm on my phone... I'm on-board with pretty much your entire post, and strangely, with most of everything else posted on this thread as well. I've been called part of the problem - as someone who drives a VF Holden, who owns some insanely expensive Australian made pieces of furniture, and who buys Australian made music on an almost weekly basis to name just a few examples, I find that pretty bizarre to put it politely. Oh and don't forget the wine, I buy a lot of Aussie wine too...
I tip my hat to you for doing your bit

(Genuine, no snark)

I guess the only reason I jumped on your first post is because you seemed to be hosing down somebody else's attempt to temper other people's buying behaviours

As well as buying local when one can, trying to convince others to do likewise is a good contributon, as you can bet your *** that for every person trying to do what they can there are 10 people with no clue or no care about where we end up as a nation
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post