Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #91
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hyundai Genesis V8.Confirmed for Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
185kw? mother of god!
the V6 is 234kw with 361nm @ 4700rpm

the V8 is 320kw with 510nm @ 5000rpm
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #92
Carrie On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
You can't be serious!
One hopes not.
Carrie On is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #93
kinksta
Luxojet

With this, the Veloster, then hopefully the Genesis, and (probably not) but maybe the Equus, I'm actually quite excited to see them here. They all look good, no doubt, all have good engines, look cool inside, etc.

And Kia's new car coming out is very interesting! These two companies have changed immensely, hopefully they will be priced competitively, which I reckon they will!
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #94
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax
Why are there so many whingers out there? The Australian car market is over protected by the government, let them bring in high end Hyundais and Kia's. It's only then the Aussie car builders will pull their fingers out of their ***** and build decent quality cars!

Oh don't support Korean/Thailand/Asian built cars...Guessing you haven't noticed where many of the components fitted to the Falcon come from?
And just close down the Aus car factories. and there goes the Aus car culture.
Protect the industry more.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #95
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
With this, the Veloster, then hopefully the Genesis, and (probably not) but maybe the Equus, I'm actually quite excited to see them here. They all look good, no doubt, all have good engines, look cool inside, etc.

And Kia's new car coming out is very interesting! These two companies have changed immensely, hopefully they will be priced competitively, which I reckon they will!
The Veloster has a 1.6 NA engine, petty weak. Its a shopping trolley, and until they do a turbo version and Hyundais suspension and steering engineers get a clue about how to tune a suspension setup, it will remain one.

The OP has got this wrong, or the info he has provided is wrong, as we are only getting the Genesis coupe, which doesn't come with a V8, only a V6 and turbo 4.

We will not get a Hyundai V8.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #96
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
And just close down the Aus car factories. and there goes the Aus car culture.
Protect the industry more.
How would closing Aussie factories destroy the car culture in Australia?

I don't wish ill on the Aussie builders, but they car certainly lift their game.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #97
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax
The Australian car market is over protected by the government,
Dude, go and get the numbers on the import tariff regime of China, the subsidised funding from Japan, the engine capacity taxes of Thailand, and the government bailout money of the US. Then look at the total individual vehicle models on sale in each of those countries.

Then come back to us with those numbers comparing to the Australian equivalents per capita and see if your comment still stands.

Lukeyson
Old 29-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #98
nstg8a

getting way ot, but imo, something needs to be done to protect aussie car builders, whether thats holden ford toyota or great wall if they wanna set up a factory.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #99
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The Veloster has a 1.6 NA engine, petty weak. Its a shopping trolley, and until they do a turbo version and Hyundais suspension and steering engineers get a clue about how to tune a suspension setup, it will remain one.

The OP has got this wrong, or the info he has provided is wrong, as we are only getting the Genesis coupe, which doesn't come with a V8, only a V6 and turbo 4.

We will not get a Hyundai V8.
I don't think the people in the market for the Veloster would really care about it having a weak engine. It is pretty light though, so it wouldn't be the worst thing on the road.

By the way the turbo version may make it here one day, along with the V8 which may make it eventually. It should sell well, and will be well priced.

Lets not write the Hundies off just yet sheesh...
Old 29-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #100
Danny
GT4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGe0...eature=related
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #101
kinksta
Luxojet

Sounds like a V8 to me.. mmmmmmmmmmmmm Hyundai hehe
Old 29-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #102
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
V8 supercars is artificial tribalistic entertainment that relies on the innate friction between Ford and Holden subcultures.
The vehicles are almost identical purpose built track vehicles while giving an illusion that they are genuine Commodores and Falcons "slightly modified" for safety on the circuit.

If other marques were to be allowed in it would almost immediately fail as Holden bogans only want to beat Fords and Ford mutants only want to beat Holdens, nothing else matters.
I'm well aware of that, that's why I said it would "represent Hyundai" even though it wouldn't be a Hyundai, only resemble it. I thought because the Genesis is a car of similar size to the Commodore/Falcon and V8 Supercar wanted extra manufactures, Hyundai would have a car with a perfect profile to enter the series.

As for if fans would want extra manufacturers in the series is another story.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 01:45 AM   #103
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai Genesis R-Spec..This is what Hyundai call the Tau V8; it’s designed and built in house, which means they can use it anytime, and in anything they choose. It makes near on 320 kW and just over 500 Nm, and is quite a sophisticated bit of kit.

The high-pressure direct injection system delivers the fuel at over 2200 psi, which increases power and torque, while increasing fuel efficiency and lowering the car’s CO2 footprint. In addition, the compression ratio had been increased from 10.4 to 11.5:1 for improved thermal efficiency and power.

Carryover technology from the 4.6-litre V8, include Dual Continuously Variable Valve Technology (D-CVVT), a tuned variable induction system, and low-friction diamond-like coatings (DLC) on the rings, piston skirts and tappets.

For such an increase in power, fuel consumption of 11L/100km is expected for highway driving and 12.5L/100km combined, are indeed impressive.

The Tau V8 is mated to Hyundai’s new in-house eight-speed transmission, which will improve acceleration and shifts smoothness, while bettering transmission efficiency by six percent over the six-speed unit. There will also be a SHIFTRONIC or manual capability, although it’s not clear as to whether that will mean a sequential shifter, steering wheel paddles, or both.

For increased handling dynamics the R-Spec gets an aggressive chassis tune with larger stabilizer bars (front and rear) for less body roll, and standard fit wheels will be 19-inch alloys with machined finish and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 summer performance tyres will be optional. Steering calibration will match the wheel and tyre package for better performance and driving refinement, and brake rotors have grown from 13.0 to 13.6 inches for more stopping power.

Cosmetically, the R-Spec will come with dark chrome inserts on the headlight covers to differentiate it from other MY12 Genesis models, as well as an R-Spec trim badge, black R-Spec embroidered floor mats round of the package. There’s a choice of only three exclusive colours; Black Noir, Titanium Grey and Platinum Metallic, with black leather interior and sports steering wheel.

Added safety features across all 2012 Genesis models include daytime running lamps and a new lane Departure Warning System (LDWS).

The Genesis and Genesis R-Spec prove just how far Hyundai has come in the last few years, and equally, how fast this automotive juggernaut is moving up in the automotive world.

Last edited by csv8; 26-01-2012 at 07:36 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 02:59 AM   #104
Fordsrule174
Broken Laws Of Physics

my parents owned a hyundai excel sportz made in yr 2000 and its just a plastic bubble of **** i honestly hated the car the door handles break every few seconds and we had a few little plastic bits break that you have to buy new from a hyundai dealer and it costed a arm and bloody leg one bit that shocked me the most was $120 for a bit of plastic just big enough to go around your thumb for the wipers i believe it was, the A/C broke and the car was only 8yrs old and the paint was coming off (it was dark so i let that slide a bit) and when we wanted to get paint to paint it the colour never matches the colour codes by a BIG margin(hyundai actually had 2 colour codes the same for the same car but meant different colours) and we had to get it mixed customly because they couldnt find the colour code to match

it was gutless as anything i thought when i opened the bonnet id find a rat powering the damn thing, ive been in many excels around the same age and they were all doing the same things so i dont think ours was odd one out

and regarding 2200psi fuel injection
that sounds like a expensive piece of equipment if it would well you know break
and regarding fuel economy
ford mustang 2011 with the 5.0L ford coyote does
13.84 L/100km in city
9.05 L/100km on highway

so really nothing special about hyundai's fuel economy

ill always own a ford id go merc next atleast than all the dunnydore bogans wont be all hows the grandpa car etc (i drive a NF lane just incase you dont know) because no one (except maybe greenies but id just run em over with the v12 merc lol that is a joke so please greenies dont take that seriously i dont want you to come around to snuff me with lettuce) can argue with a merc
Fordsrule174 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 04:30 AM   #105
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Hyundai Genesis R-Spec..This is what Hyundai call the Tau V8; it’s designed and built in house, which means they can use it anytime, and in anything they choose. It makes near on 320 kW and just over 500 Nm, and is quite a sophisticated bit of kit.

The high-pressure direct injection system delivers the fuel at over 2200 psi, which increases power and torque, while increasing fuel efficiency and lowering the car’s CO2 footprint. In addition, the compression ratio had been increased from 10.4 to 11.5:1 for improved thermal efficiency and power.
Those numbers are pretty good (it's got 510Nm). Wicki suggests it may be produced in a 5.5litre and/or blown.
As a side note, Ford's 5.0 is still king when it comes to specific power or torque... and that's without direct injection.
Old 30-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #106
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordsrule174
my parents owned a hyundai excel sportz made in yr 2000 and its just a plastic bubble of **** i honestly hated the car the door handles break every few seconds and we had a few little plastic bits break that you have to buy new from a hyundai dealer and it costed a arm and bloody leg one bit that shocked me the most was $120 for a bit of plastic just big enough to go around your thumb for the wipers i believe it was, the A/C broke and the car was only 8yrs old and the paint was coming off (it was dark so i let that slide a bit) and when we wanted to get paint to paint it the colour never matches the colour codes by a BIG margin(hyundai actually had 2 colour codes the same for the same car but meant different colours) and we had to get it mixed customly because they couldnt find the colour code to match

it was gutless as anything i thought when i opened the bonnet id find a rat powering the damn thing, ive been in many excels around the same age and they were all doing the same things so i dont think ours was odd one out

13.84 L/100km in city
9.05 L/100km on highway

ill always own a ford id go merc next atleast than all the dunnydore bogans wont be all hows the grandpa car etc (i drive a NF lane just incase you dont know) because no one (except maybe greenies but id just run em over with the v12 merc lol that is a joke so please greenies dont take that seriously i dont want you to come around to snuff me with lettuce) can argue with a merc
Yeah dad had an XF with much the same problems so if I was to buy a family car I guess the FG won't be looked at as it must be the same I guess?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #107
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

Have a look at the average salaries in Korea. Not much different to here.
Considering the labour factor is about 10% of a car, thats sweet bugger all difference. If you remove shipping, duty etc there is next to no difference in cost. Korea has gotten hold of the volume and thats where they are making the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dlvr
we have our self's a world class supercharged v8 and turbo i6 in a excellent chassis with almost any option of class ..
id rather spend the extra and support aussie production and jobs while cruising around with my head high.. or buy a second handie and still keep my head held high.
hope it doesn't make it here, and even if it does i hope its a massive flop!!!
i hate the fact that hyondi or how ever you spell it is dominating the car market because the car cost nothing because Koreans get paid 2 cents a hour to build the vehicle.
-AU Falcon Wagon 4.0L Still Stock
-80 Series LandCruiser 4.5 LPG
NC_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #108
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:

13.84 L/100km in city
9.05 L/100km on highway

And apart from the badge what exactly does a 2000 excel have in common with ANYTHING in Hyundai's current stable?

Is it school holidays again already?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #109
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Lane
Considering the labour factor is about 10% of a car, thats sweet bugger all difference.
check out the documentaries on factories, and there's not much human input unless you're looking at Bugatti. The level of automation is staggering. energy input costs would be far greater.
Old 30-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #110
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
check out the documentaries on factories, and there's not much human input unless you're looking at Bugatti. The level of automation is staggering. energy input costs would be far greater.
BMW's Munich plant is the epitomy of this. I've done a tour through there and the amount of robotics and automation is simply staggering. Best bit about their set up is though endless configuration changes on each car, car by car, without any down time staffing changes.
Old 30-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #111
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Lane
Have a look at the average salaries in Korea. Not much different to here.
Considering the labour factor is about 10% of a car, thats sweet bugger all difference. If you remove shipping, duty etc there is next to no difference in cost. Korea has gotten hold of the volume and thats where they are making the money.
And the post you quoted shows the limited information people have about Korea in general. It is one of less than a handful of 1st world Asian countries.

The people get paid well, very well. Their health, technology, police service and government are on par or better than many western nations. Their standard of living is pretty good.

It is NOT a Vietnam, China, Laos, Thailand, Nepal, India etc where people are poor (and very poorly paid), health services are poor and standard of living is very low.

Cheers,

Jason (who has worked in Korea MANY times).
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #112
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
And the post you quoted shows the limited information people have about Korea in general. It is one of less than a handful of 1st world Asian countries.

The people get paid well, very well. Their health, technology, police service and government are on par or better than many western nations. Their standard of living is pretty good.

It is NOT a Vietnam, China, Laos, Thailand, Nepal, India etc where people are poor (and very poorly paid), health services are poor and standard of living is very low.

Cheers,

Jason (who has worked in Korea MANY times).
And they're a very polite professional people. Never been anywhere else in the world that is so polite.
Old 30-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #113
Fordsrule174
Broken Laws Of Physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
And apart from the badge what exactly does a 2000 excel have in common with ANYTHING in Hyundai's current stable?
id probably say lack of build quality (long lasting build quality) and replacement parts being as expensive as gold teeth for a badger
Fordsrule174 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #114
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
id probably say lack of build quality (long lasting build quality) and replacement parts being as expensive as gold teeth for a badger
Well my partner has a 2007 Elantra. 80k on the clock and it still feels brand new. Not a single squeak or rattle, not a panel out of alignment and the build quality and finish are brilliant. Much better than any Ford I've ever come across, something I find quite disturbing as a Ford Fan.

Parts are cheap enough too, as is servicing and insurance is also cheap telling me replacement parts after an accident are cheap enough and easy to come by.

Parents had a couple of Getz's as shopping trolleys over the years. First one (an 03 I think) wasn't great. Other one, an 07, was very good.

So there's real world experience, what are you basing your claims on?
Old 30-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #115
JG34JA

Very impressive. If it lands here and is priced attractively it will sell in droves. Look at this, and Holden's reputed 6cyl/V8 mix, and it makes you wonder why no G8E or XR8 exists in the 40-50+K price bracket...

Nice work Hyundai, such a departure from the first Excel I ever got in, when I went to pull the seatbelt the whole thing detached from it's mount on the C pillar...
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #116
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:

13.84 L/100km in city
9.05 L/100km on highway

That is almost the opposite to my experience with a 2000 model Excel Sportz. In fact out of the 6 new cars myself and my wife have had the Hyundai had the least warranty claims or issues. In fact the only issue in 5 years and about 130000km was one broken door handle covered by warranty. Thats better than the new Fords and Mazdas we have had since. In fact I would say it was a great first car.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #117
RAPID_BA
Banned

Problem is hyundai is a cut price cheap and cheerful car. Is this new V8 gonna be $29990 driveaway? It would get plenty of bites then but realistically anything more than $39990 and they will never sell one.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #118
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Problem is hyundai is a cut price cheap and cheerful car. Is this new V8 gonna be $29990 driveaway? It would get plenty of bites then but realistically anything more than $39990 and they will never sell one.
Hyundai haven't been a cut price, cheap and cheerful car maker for a few years now Hulk.
Old 30-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #119
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8

Carryover technology from the 4.6-litre V8, include Dual Continuously Variable Valve Technology (D-CVVT), a tuned variable induction system, and low-friction diamond-like coatings (DLC) on the rings, piston skirts and tappets.

For such an increase in power, fuel consumption of 11L/100km is expected for highway driving and 12.5L/100km combined, are indeed impressive.

The Tau V8 is mated to Hyundai’s new in-house eight-speed transmission, which will improve acceleration and shifts smoothness, while bettering transmission efficiency by six percent over the six-speed unit. There will also be a SHIFTRONIC or manual capability, although it’s not clear as to whether that will mean a sequential shifter, steering wheel paddles, or both.

For increased handling dynamics the R-Spec gets an aggressive chassis tune with larger stabilizer bars (front and rear) for less body roll, and standard fit wheels will be 19-inch alloys with machined finish and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 summer performance tyres will be optional. Steering calibration will match the wheel and tyre package for better performance and driving refinement, and brake rotors have grown from 13.0 to 13.6 inches for more stopping power.

Cosmetically, the R-Spec will come with dark chrome inserts on the headlight covers to differentiate it from other MY12 Genesis models, as well as an R-Spec trim badge, black R-Spec embroidered floor mats round of the package. There’s a choice of only three exclusive colours; Black Noir, Titanium Grey and Platinum Metallic, with black leather interior and sports steering wheel.

Added safety features across all 2012 Genesis models include daytime running lamps and a new lane Departure Warning System (LDWS).

The Genesis and Genesis R-Spec prove just how far Hyundai has come in the last few years, and equally, how fast this automotive juggernaut is moving up in the automotive world.
The big question is does it come in RHD, and the answer seems to be no, so we won't be seeing it here unless RHD eventuates.

And Hyundai are still questioning wether anyone would spend over 50 g's for a Hyundai, they are still stuck with memories of the Granduer which absolutely tanked cause no one wanted to spend that type of money on a Hyundai.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #120
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I amuses me the way people compare Hyundai's from 10 years ago to today. I think some of you should actually go and have a real look at the current lineup.

IMO their build quality has improved more in 10 years to what Frod has. AU to FG I think the build quality of my AU Fairmont was better than my current G6ET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
I must be an idiot then as I would pay more than $39990 if this car comes here.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post