Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #91
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
Holy Crap Batman, For once 4Vman I 100% agree.
I am in the same line and Flappist too, sheesh I need a cold shower..lol.

My son is 25 and I have a brother who is 26yo, they know who the Ford legends are if either won of them said Allan who? I would have slapped them...
Anyone who calls themselves a true Ford enthusiast should know who Allan Moffat is, being an enthusiast in anything you should be educated or educate yourself in past and present knowledge of the subject.
In these days of media and internet all the information is out there more than we could read in a year.

Congrats to Allan and FPV, finally FPV made a good marketing move, which many of us have criticized for so long.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #92
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
I am in the same line and Flappist too, I need a cold shower..lol.

My son is 25 and I have a brother who is 26yo, they know who the Ford legends are if either won of them said Allan who? I would have slapped them...
Anyone who calls themselves a true Ford enthusiast should know who Allan Moffat is, being an enthusiast in anything you should be educated or educate yourself in past and present knowledge of the subject.

Congrats to Allan and FPV, finally FPV made a good marketing move, which many of us have criticized for so long.
Ditto, i only know him as a Ford racing Stalwart. Im not 100% familiar with his succuss (although it has been pointed out in this thread), i see it as only a good thing and IMO it will reignite some die hard blue oval fans and promote some sales too
Old 01-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #93
fordv8!

great news for ford
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #94
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Thinking with a really glass half full mindset. He would be the best man to indroduce a possible FPV GT Coupe.... :
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #95
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_landau
what most people need to realise is 90% of people on the street wouldnt even know who allan moffat is.yes we all know who he is but we all watch v8 super cars and we know ford history.lets not slide away from the fact that most people have never heard of him.ok toyota is the biggest seller and ford is a dismal way behind,not that i think ford shouldnt premote its new product but i think they should have gone a different way.the ford falcon is in trouble and i think they need a mordern fresh way to promote it as most people i talk to dont give a rats asssss about ford at all they just want a cheap car to run.
the new gtho if they make it will sell but it wont change the majorty of people,yes the soft corks that buy new toyotas is our major threat.
moffat is a legand but that was 40 years ago ffs,i just hope they do make a short run of new gtho's because it maybe the last horah for the falcon,shame but lets live in 2010 not 1970.
i would vigoureasly debate the 90% of people in the street would`nt know allan moffat claim, and words of doom are way off base imo, Allan moffat apart from his legend status also is a great asset with the media and is highly respected by them, he also has the gift of the gab and calls a spade a spade , which i would say is a big bonus as a spokesman to the blue oval, go the Moff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHagd1M7LAg
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #96
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Thinking with a really glass half full mindset. He would be the best man to indroduce a possible FPV GT Coupe.... :
We can but hope.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #97
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The more i think about it the more i think this is great news.

Its great to have some familiarity and "legend" associated with Fords performance "brand" again...

Old 02-02-2010, 04:29 AM   #98
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This will give a modern re-booted incarnation of the GTHO brand a positive spin imo........is my maths crap or isnt 2010 the 40th anniversery of the 1,2,3 1971 Bathurst win? :

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #99
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO 3
This will give a modern re-booted incarnation of the GTHO brand a positive spin imo........is my maths crap or isnt 2010 the 40th anniversery of the 1,2,3 1971 Bathurst win? :

Cheers Mick
1971 + 40 = 2011
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #100
Mr X
mustang pilot

Some mornings you wake up and the world actually makes sense.

Well done FPV

Mr X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #101
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Don't open that can of worm's,
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #102
Director

To those that are having a moan that a certain demographic doesnt know who AM is then hold onto your hats.......soon, hopefully, if the very near future, they will. They will also become aware of Ford racing heritage, and furthermore that can only be great for the Brand.

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Director is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #103
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The sales figures would suggest otherwise.... 85% of FPV/HSV combined sales are V8's.... Both brands have held strong despite the stagnant market.
Don't HSV only sell V8s?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #104
XR6Noir

You'd sometimes think the I6T was an HSV engine the way some people on here campaign against it.
Good on FPV for trying something new, hope it pays off...
XR6Noir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #105
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VCLEVO
Thats great news, couldn't think of a better ambassador for FPV.
I can, and his name is John Bowe.

Seems a very strange direction they've gone, JB has done developement work on every new FPV model so far, and Tickford prior to that.

Alan Moffat doesn;t come across as laid back, or as approachable as JB.

I have met both guys, and I know which one I'd prefer to be plugging my product.

No offence attended to Alan Moffat!

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #106
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex

Seems a very strange direction they've gone, JB has done developement work on every new FPV model so far, and Tickford prior to that.

I have met both guys, and I know which one I'd prefer to be plugging my product.

JB doesnt have the awe or credentials that Moffat does though.... Moffat is far more recognizable and a Ford Legend and Icon... JB is an ex racer with some Ford history, that's the difference...

Old 02-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #107
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bowe is a great guy no doubt but him and Moffat are from different points in history. They cannot be compared against each other as that is unfair to both, kind of like comparing sir Jack Brabham to Ayrton Senna both heavyweights but from different times.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #108
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Give Coyote 18 months and there wont be at FPV.... :
Seriously sometimes I think I am going to puke with some of the posts around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Noir
You'd sometimes think the I6T was an HSV engine the way some people on here campaign against it.
Good on FPV for trying something new, hope it pays off...
Agreed, why is it so hard to have two great options in your line up.

So lets be a little bit positive and perhaps throw around some concepts which FPV can use because I am struggling to see how a 60 odd year old is going to increase their sales.

Surely Moffatt Jnr could have done the job, I thought that was part of the reason why he is with a factory backed team?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #109
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
None of us are privy to why Allan has been given this honour. So why don't we all stop the childish bickering and wait and see.
I for one am pleased that Allan is finally being given real recognition for all his years of dedication to the Blue Oval and motorsport.
MO spot on....I have always felt sad he has not been used more for Ford Racing promo or whatever, maybe he had chosen to stay on the outside for so long which doesn't surprise me considering the amazing inconsistancies by Ford over the years.
As for using current FPR drivers or similar nah just doesn't have the "clout" !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #110
sgxr8
Starter Motor

Hi Tex ,i do not altogether disagree with you but Moffat was a pioneer in the early days of performance Australian Fords and his history is the stuff legends are made of. I like JB too and if you put him in a car today he would still be quicker than a lot of current drivers. He was extensively employed by Tickford and FPV but he does not have the iconic status of Allan, John Goss or Dick Johnson and unfortunately never will, just the same as Jim Richards or Larry Perkins will never be thought of like P Brock in the opposing camp.
Wouldn't be anything to do with the fact that JB is a Taswegian could it???
Just kidding. My thoughts.
Cheers
GT450
sgxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #111
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgxr8
Hi Tex ,i do not altogether disagree with you but Moffat was a pioneer in the early days of performance Australian Fords and his history is the stuff legends are made of. I like JB too and if you put him in a car today he would still be quicker than a lot of current drivers. He was extensively employed by Tickford and FPV but he does not have the iconic status of Allan, John Goss or Dick Johnson and unfortunately never will, just the same as Jim Richards or Larry Perkins will never be thought of like P Brock in the opposing camp.
Wouldn't be anything to do with the fact that JB is a Taswegian could it???
Just kidding. My thoughts.
Cheers
GT450

hahahaha, it's got everything to do with it!

Nah, I'm being silly.

thing is, I just find JB a hell of a lot more affable than AM, and to be perfectly frank, a little more relevant. And he isn't as old, and he is perhaps better known by my generation and all the youngens. (Im 37 BTW)

Now don't flame me on that last point, it's only my opinion, it is not a statement of fact.

It would seem like such a good fit for JB to undertake this ambassadorial role, afterall, up until this announcement, he was doing that kind of work for them anyway....... and doing it very very well.

The passion that John has for all things FPV is extroadanary. He blew me away with his knowledge and enthusiasm for our favourite brand.

There's no right or wrong, and I am sure that AM will undertake the role with professionalism and passion.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #112
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Don't HSV only sell V8s?
They sell/sold that Astra turbo model.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #113
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex

I think that it all depends on what sort of product they are trying to promote...

John Bowe - obviously a veteran race driver, endorses many products and services out there, and has been involved in various Ford Racing teams for years...

Though (personal opinion) I think he would be the more conservative choice, he has a reputation of being a sensible driver, with a good reputation.

Allan Moffat on the other hand, whilst still having a good reputation (particularly in the eyes of Ford fans) was around in the Era of the HO... and that raises the question of why they may have chosen him. He was the driver of the most famous race cars we have, then there is the GT-HO PH4 link, and also the famous Coupes...

If they are trying to go down the revival of the 70's muscle car craze... then Moffat is their man...
If they are trying to market a more sensible and anti-hoon style FPV, then I think John Bowe would be a great choice...

Again, personal opinions, so flame at your leisure... :
Old 02-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #114
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
They sell/sold that Astra turbo model.
Also did a range of HSV Jackaroo's if I remember correctly...
And a bunch of rubbish VN 6cyl....

But who remembers them... right??
Old 02-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #115
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
hahahaha, it's got everything to do with it!

Nah, I'm being silly.

thing is, I just find JB a hell of a lot more affable than AM, and to be perfectly frank, a little more relevant. And he isn't as old, and he is perhaps better known by my generation and all the youngens. (Im 37 BTW)

Now don't flame me on that last point, it's only my opinion, it is not a statement of fact.

It would seem like such a good fit for JB to undertake this ambassadorial role, afterall, up until this announcement, he was doing that kind of work for them anyway....... and doing it very very well.

The passion that John has for all things FPV is extroadanary. He blew me away with his knowledge and enthusiasm for our favourite brand.

There's no right or wrong, and I am sure that AM will undertake the role with professionalism and passion.
How dare you have an opposing view to the one given to us by the all knowing!
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #116
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I think he is a great choice, is well known in the intended target market (Sorry but most 25 year olds do not buy new FPV's) and if you don't know who he is why the hell are you looking at buying an FPV as I am sure a G6ET or E2 would suffice ....... in saying that, was John Howard there first choice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X
Well done FPV

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #117
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden and their supporters would kill to have someone of the calibre of Allan Moffat, but yet again we have the usual negativity. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. He is a legend and this is terrific news for Ford.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #118
tex
Broken

What negativity mate? maybe I missed something, but this is discussion, and we're discussing, using our own opinions on the appointment. AM will do just fine!

it is awsome news, and indeed HSV would be envious.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #119
sgxr8
Starter Motor

In a perfect world Tex i could easily see them both involved and be relevant to any generation Ford enthusiast. I think the tie in with Allan is to do with James' new position and there were rumours the evil red side were looking at signing him too but FPR got in before Macnamara bought another of our shining lights. Moffat does not suffer fools lightly but if you are knowledgable in Ford history he is only to happy to chat.Whilst JB is probably ( in my opinion) the best driver Ford had for many years , he just didn't have the best equipment in his latter years.
Cheers
GT450
sgxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #120
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
JB doesnt have the awe or credentials that Moffat does though.... Moffat is far more recognizable and a Ford Legend and Icon... JB is an ex racer with some Ford history, that's the difference...
JB also has a busy schedule with the Masters series.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post