Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #91
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATXR8
I read somewhere recently that the Canadian road toll was reduced by approx 20% after it was made compulsory for headlights to be turned on at all times.

Any another thing - what is it with some motor bike riders that DON'T ride with their headlights on during the day. It should be complusory for bikes to have headlights on at all times as they can be hard to see sometimes, especially when the riders are dressed in black gear.
I'm pretty sure it's a law in Victoria that you need to have your headlight/high beam on while riding a motorbike at all times, i'm pretty sure that went through a few years ago, could be wrong though ?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #92
devil cv8

If it means I am seen, then there is less chance of being run into by someone who hasn't seen me... so foggies on here....

Old 10-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #93
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't believe this thread is still going.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:52 PM   #94
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave XR8
I can't believe this thread is still going.
I think the thread's got lost in the fog Shockwave XR8!
Old 10-04-2006, 09:06 PM   #95
Ben083GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
I think the thread's got lost in the fog Shockwave XR8!
haha....

As far as safety goes, and as long as other drivers can see me, il drive with both lights on. Driving in Melbourne is getting worse by the day and il drive with as many lights on as possible if it means being seen. Give me 4 fog lights and il turn em on as well.
---- 162rw/kw ----
Old 10-04-2006, 09:11 PM   #96
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Don't worry about it.
Get a life...
In some countries it illegal NOT to have lights on..
Canada for example...
I used to live there, and if their greatest improvement to road safety is to tell the rednecks to drive with their headlights on all the time, then frankly its a p i ss poor attempt at road safety. I knew canadians who couldnt explain to me give way laws, especially fun at 4 way stop intersections which they place everywhere. A roundabout was a situation destined to cause multiple car pile ups, hell dont even get me started on drivers in the United States of Canadia. Frankly I find it hard to believe that headlights can be attributed to a 20% drop in fatalities there, it would be easier to attribute such a drop to a milder winter, which is when the majority of car accidents occur on icey and snowed in roads.

I dont have fog/driving/whatever lights on any vehicle I own. Personally, couldnt care less if people want to use them or not, they dont annoy me on the road in any vehicle of varying heights. Ive never been dazzled by a set of driving lights however I have been dazzled by high beams in the past, but I havent so far seen a thread wanting to ban high beam. So personally, I dont see what the issue is.

And no, i dont require someone to point out to me their long list of reasons & complaints about how those who drive with them on should be executed as war criminals.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 10-04-2006, 09:13 PM   #97
xfalconz

And no, i dont require someone to point out to me their long list of reasons & complaints about how those who drive with them on should be executed as war criminals.

Damn...
Old 10-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #98
toastyanana

Default Morons

I for one drive with mine on as there are MORONS out there that dont seem to see us driving down the road without these lights on. These lights are only low power they are not blinding but from my observations i have less people cutting me off when the lights are on its a safety issue thats all
Old 10-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #99
cupic
Nikon

I dont mind driving lights but on some commodores there tooo strong on the eyes
Old 10-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #100
flukeyluke

Occasionally, you will see mine on at dusk or when raining / ИИИИty conditions. Never during the day.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:30 AM   #101
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

As I mentioned previously - not sure what all the fuss is about. Xenon headlights are up to 10 times BRIGHTER then low beam normal Halogen lights (hence they need washers or they are illegal). SO, Mercs and BMWs have Xenon headlights which are much brighter then Fog lights... not sure what the fuss is about.

If a fog light is made correctly, it should shine LOW to the ground, and hence not be a nuisance to on coming traffic. Has anyone here driven in the Fog with fog lights? I can assure you that they do work for their purpose - they shine LOW TO THE GROUND and hence BELOW THE FOG... not sure how they irritate you on the other side of the road? Unless your lying on the ground....

Have you ever tried driving in fog with high beams? You can't see a thing as all you do is increase the reflection of light on the fog.... which is why fog lights were invented to go UNDER the fog and illuminate the road.

For this reason, I doubt they would irritate on coming traffic if they were on during the day or at night in the city.

Xenon lights are far brighter - trust me, I have them. I love it when people flash their highs, only to be killed by my more powerful high beam

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 11-04-2006, 01:33 AM   #102
Steffo
LPG > You

One of my best mate's has a Renault Clio... and drives with the fog lights on at night always. They DO NOT blind other drivers. He's driven directly behind me with them on, they don't blind you at all. And when you sit in the car, you notice the light is very low and illuminates the road, especially around the front right and left sides of the bonnet.

Plus it looks cool. Got another mate who just bought a Seat Cordoba GLX, also uses his foggies always, looks awesome and doesn't blind a single person.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 11-04-2006, 01:39 AM   #103
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Very true Steffo - That is what I mean, the fog lights are SUPPOSED TO only illuminate the path directly infront and below the car....

Those 4WDs with aftermarket lights aren't fogs - they are spot lights intented to blind any oncoming traffic and see any animals metres away from the car. Fogs are not.

And Steffo - your friend doesn't have Xenons :P

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 11-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #104
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastyanana
I for one drive with mine on as there are MORONS out there that dont seem to see us driving down the road without these lights on. These lights are only low power they are not blinding but from my observations i have less people cutting me off when the lights are on its a safety issue thats all
With the greatest respect sport, kindly DO the courtesy, please, of reading the thread and comprehending some of the mild-technical written text, I am NOT arguing with your logic here, rather the proposed 'light source' you use to combat the issue. Your front fog lights are complianced at 12v/55watts. A mere 5 watts below low-beam, BUT they have totally different beam characteristics.

Remember too that 'what you see' from the drivers seat DOES NOT in any way,- highlight GLARE that might be seen by approaching traffic. It is a common view by those who illegally modify their headlights to HID, " but I see the nice sharp cut off, how can it cause glare"? OFTEN it does, you need only approach from 1,000 metres out to see it and its is easily detected for enforcement purposes by the right, but expensive equipment.

Front fog lights (ADR 50) are NOT DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS (DRL's-ADR76). IF you want to have a DRL system on your Falcon etc, buy this NARVA kit and keep your front fog lights off - "for the purpose they are designed".

The effect of this kit is to light the low beam to around 70% of low beam luminance level, its the same in fact as GB's "DIM-DIP" low-beam.
http://www.narva.com.au/Globes_27.html

Now, it is acknowledged by engineering and safety advocates that if all "the fleet" are required to have DRL's, then the issue of complacency then sets in, here - it will arguably be safer to have your lights OFF, to set yourself 'different' from the 'crowd'. Follow?
www.lightsout.org

[QUOTE=Teki04]Very true Steffo - That is what I mean, the fog lights are SUPPOSED TO only illuminate the path directly infront and below the car....

Because they are compliance marked, unlike the well hated VX-VY SS Commodore units which were not complianced marked. AND that their owners (Steffo's- Renault Clio's ref) do not tend to 'tinker' like some.

Teki04 continued: Those 4WDs with aftermarket lights aren't fogs - they are spot lights intented to blind any oncoming traffic (to see far down the road actually:-) and see any animals metres away from the car. Fogs are not.

If you mean Teki04 those added to say a bullbar -yes absolutely, if however anybody means those lights factory fitted below headlight level, no, (with the exception of the Ford Explorer in this market). Example, Subaru Outback has 'fogs':
http://subaru.com.au/explore/outback...n&grade=2%2E5i

And: http://ford.com.au/range/territory/models/ghiaawd.asp
And Kia: http://www.kia.com.au/default.asp?ac...ticle&ID=23577
And Toyota Sahara: http://lc100.toyota.com.au/toyota/ve...04_364,00.html

Folk should remember this when looking for a set of front fog lights, the CODINGS which are on the lens. The letter "B" will exist near the E mark. For SAE marking that's the letter "F", eg "SAE F 99".

For a driving light, the letter "R" will exist near the E mark. For SAE marking thats the letter "Y", eg; "SAE Y 99".

I have learn't to basically ignore most light PACKAGING description. Often the Aussie buys the item overseas, then makes up and designs their own packaging, in doing so often get it wrong. READ those codes on the lens people for an accurate description of what it is your actually looking at.

The issue does not apply to Narva or Hella products.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 11-04-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:38 AM   #105
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Very true Steffo - That is what I mean, the fog lights are SUPPOSED TO only illuminate the path directly infront and below the car....
Which are pointless, no one on this earth is quick enough to react after seeing anything in that space.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 11-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #106
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATXR8
Any another thing - what is it with some motor bike riders that DON'T ride with their headlights on during the day. It should be complusory for bikes to have headlights on at all times as they can be hard to see sometimes, especially when the riders are dressed in black gear.
AFAIK the majority of bikes sold in this country have their low beam hardwired on. I know every single bike I have ever owned including my current one, you cannot turn off low beam even if you want to.

I agree though I would never ride without having the headlight on...I know from my experience when driving a car the first thing that notifies me of a bikes presence is usually the single headlight in the rearview.

Regarding fog lights on cars, I find the commodores too bright, the Fords are fine. I actually find the BMW xenons much more annoying.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:06 AM   #107
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Some hare hardwired on ... other's aren't though ... a guy at work has a Hinda VFR800 and his don't come on when starting up his bike ... but he prefers to ride with them on at all times though ... just to be seen in traffic.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:06 AM   #108
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
As I mentioned previously - not sure what all the fuss is about. Xenon headlights are up to 10 times BRIGHTER then low beam normal Halogen lights (hence they need washers or they are illegal). SO, Mercs and BMWs have Xenon headlights which are much brighter then Fog lights... not sure what the fuss is about.
Well said. : I think the fuss is really just because some people don't like them. That's it. They don't distract them or cause any issues at all (unless we're talking about modified ones) - it just boils down to fog light envy I guess, or they need another thing to complain about.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #109
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
I used to live there, and if their greatest improvement to road safety is to tell the rednecks to drive with their headlights on all the time, then frankly its a p i ss poor attempt at road safety. I knew canadians who couldnt explain to me give way laws, especially fun at 4 way stop intersections which they place everywhere. A roundabout was a situation destined to cause multiple car pile ups, hell dont even get me started on drivers in the United States of Canadia. Frankly I find it hard to believe that headlights can be attributed to a 20% drop in fatalities there, it would be easier to attribute such a drop to a milder winter, which is when the majority of car accidents occur on icey and snowed in roads.

I dont have fog/driving/whatever lights on any vehicle I own. Personally, couldnt care less if people want to use them or not, they dont annoy me on the road in any vehicle of varying heights. Ive never been dazzled by a set of driving lights however I have been dazzled by high beams in the past, but I havent so far seen a thread wanting to ban high beam. So personally, I dont see what the issue is.

Um ??? I didn't say 20% better road toll...
BTW there cars have special lights about 30 mm beside there main beams on latter models.. I too couldn't care either way....Light brown or grey cars here seem to hide quite well to the background so "low watt" lights are o/k imo..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 11-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #110
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

hey guys, ahh it annoys the ИИИИ out of me hen they drive with their fog lights, on lol, cheers guys
Old 11-04-2006, 06:25 PM   #111
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Um ??? I didn't say 20% better road toll...
nah you didnt say that mate, someone else posted that in this thread, but i was too lazy to quote :P

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 11-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #112
jaytyn

It is an offence to drive with fog lights on when the conditions are not foggy.
But you will find most police will not bother to pull you over just to tell you turn them off!

Personally, they annoy me a little, but I have bigger things to worry about than fog lights!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:35 PM   #113
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Which are pointless, no one on this earth is quick enough to react after seeing anything in that space.
Maybe I should have re-written what I wrote. What I meant is that the fog lights shine BELOW the car AND FOG. Have you got Fog Lights and driven in fog? Those that know Wollongong would know that the top of the mountain fogs up very often - making Sydney to Wollongong trips difficult. Let me assure you... the Fog lights do work.

They illuminate under the fog - hence no reflective light into your face (light bounces off the fog if your high beams are on), and it also makes the road reflectors (or line dividers) easier to see.

As for driving with them on in normal driving... what is all the fuss about? As mentioned above, they shine low, not high. If they are standard and ADR complied and normal fog lights, they shouldn't blind you. I guess you are all just a little too jealous.....

Old 11-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #114
Stevexr6

After many years of riding motor bikes visability is a good reason for driving with lights on. I actually had a woman hit my car head on in a service station once.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #115
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

C'mon, all ****ИИИИ aside, if someone can't see your low beam headlights, they aren't going to see you with foglights on. I'm not saying they're dazzling, infact I think the additional visiblity they afford is negligable. We all know the reason we drive aorund with them on is they make us look cool. Simple. It seems WA is the only place its illegal to have them on without fog, so even though I don't use mine, good luck to everyone that does. Lets not fool ourselves as to why though!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:23 PM   #116
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_Turbs
C'mon, all ****ИИИИ aside, if someone can't see your low beam headlights, they aren't going to see you with foglights on. I'm not saying they're dazzling, infact I think the additional visiblity they afford is negligable. We all know the reason we drive aorund with them on is they make us look cool. Simple. It seems WA is the only place its illegal to have them on without fog, so even though I don't use mine, good luck to everyone that does. Lets not fool ourselves as to why though!
Finally someone speaks the truth, if safety were a big issue all cars would have them.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #117
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont use mine because im too tightarse to pay the fine , otherwise i would
Old 11-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #118
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_Turbs
This comment should end the debate, spot on.

( Ford are now making us WA people actually sign a form stating we have been told about the fine for using foggys )

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
Old 11-04-2006, 09:10 PM   #119
angryfordman
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Knowing that a majority of people here have got XR6 and XR8, , and these cars have the under bumper fog lights. WHY DO PEOPLE NEED TO DRIVE WITH THESE ON IN THE CITY AREA.

I have noticed that the majority are Rivers and Losers in commodores. There are not a lot of ford drivers who do, , probably due to an older average age.

Does anyone else get the sh*ts with those morons who need to drive with these lights on.

And in the day ????????????

AC/DC
Commonly reffered to by me as ****er lights for this reason.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #120
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Finally someone speaks the truth, if safety were a big issue all cars would have them.
This add's to cost. Sure, we would love for all new cars to have 6-10 airbags like some of the larger Audi, BMWs and Mercs have. But that would never happen... it costs too much.

Same with the Fogs/side airbags etc.

Cost to much - so they are cained and replaced with creature comforts such as MP3 players, auto windows etc

Closed Thread