Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #121
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
If the dog's could have kicked straight it could have been a real close contest. I thought the dogs did well, but just missed too many opportunities.
Dogs did well, played a good hard contest and were unlucky with some of the opportunities that they didn't capitalise on, but I guess Footy isn't about "if..but..whens", it's about what actually happens. In this case it's the Cats who have prevailed in unconvincing circumstatces, much to the similarity of last year. If that trend can continue, and we play like we did last year against a lacklustre Port, look out Hawks! But somehow I don't see that happening, the Hawks are going to come out hard and Geelong need to be on top of their game for 4 quarters if they are to ensure back to back premierships.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #122
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
but he's not alone. buckley, harvey, richo, kouta etc etc. arguably not all 'great' players but just good players stuck in ordinary sides.
Buckley left Brisbane to play for a "premiership side" Got everything he deserved.

Lots of Cats fans will have vivid flashbacks to the 80's if the Hawks upset on the weekend.
Old 22-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #123
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Different circumstances...

In 1989, Geelong finished third (end of H+A), got caned by 76 points in the first week of the finals (V Essendon) and recovered to make the GF.

Hawthorn lost three games for the year and finished on top, and were heading for back to back premiership flags.

This time, the roles are reversed somewhat. I do not believe they will be flashbacks.

I am hoping Hawthorn supporters have flashbacks to 1985...the margin anyway

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 12:04 AM   #124
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done to Adam Cooney in winning the 2008 Brownlow Medal.
Mike Fitzpatrick...you work for the AFL. Get your facts right.
Scott Wynd won the Brownlow for Footscray in 1992, NOT 1993 (Wanganeen).

I felt for Ablett (I'm biased there though), Black and Richardson who are three great and fair players. Richo especially, because his entire career he has been maligned continuously and I think it's an absolute credit to him to put in two great years in the latter stages of his career, and all those people who wanted him traded will now shut up. If he had been in a better team, he would have kicked far more goals. Richmond's game plan for a long time has been chaotic, and he has still performed very well despite that.

Black...while not a standout year, he is a proven vote winner and a very fair player.

Ablett...well, his year was spectacular. I believe he would have won had he not been injured for a few weeks, but given he only finished two votes behind the winner (who I think played them all), that's a bloody fine effort. So well done Ablett.

But the main prize is this weekend.

Go you Cats.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 23-09-2008, 12:30 AM   #125
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice one Cooney....

And my boy Medhurst came in 1st for the Pies...

Hence

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 12:38 AM   #126
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I put 20 bucks on Port to win last year.

Hawthorn is a real chance this year. I think I'll put 50 bucks on them so even if Geelong lose, there's a financial consolation prize there to soften the blow for at least 3 minutes.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 23-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #127
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Does that mean you tip against Geelong every game of the year? So even if they lose, you get the tip right and it softens the blow for 3 minutes.

On another note, if there's any Cats fans in Adelaide who are reading this, get down to The Lion Hotel - 161 Melbourne St North Adelaide, the owner is a mad Cats fan and is putting on a big night with some Huge screens for the Adelaide Cats supporter group.

GO CATS!!!
Old 23-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #128
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

my tip is the same as last year almost. last year i tipped geelong by 62 points (9 goals, 8 behinds), this year 62 (10 goals, 2 behinds)
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #129
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
my tip is the same as last year almost. last year i tipped geelong by 62 points (9 goals, 8 behinds), this year 62 (10 goals, 2 behinds)
I'd like to think you're right fella, but I don't think it will happen. The Hawks won't be as soft as Port last year. If Geelong play their absolute best, the Hawks won't win. Depending on how both teams play, I think if they're both at their absolute best for 4 quarters, Geelong will win by 5 goals max. Geelong won't need to drop off much for the Hawks to pounce! My tip is the Cats by 16 points.
Old 23-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #130
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I actually am very confident Geelong will win...not easily, but we will hold on.

But if we do lose, having a bit of extra cash in the pocket will certainly make things a little more bearable.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 23-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #131
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

They may well win, I think they will, but on paper it's very even I think. Hawthorn have a lot of hard nuts, and ball winners. I know it's been said that Geelong are #1 and Hawthorn are number #16 in contested posessions, but that has not been the case from what I've seen from the Hawks as of late. It certainy won't be the case this weekend either.

Blokes like Lewis, Sewell, Mitchell are going to need some serious attention. The hawks froward line in Franklin, Roughhead and to a lesser extent Osborne also pose a serious threat to the Geelong defence too. With the experience of Croad down back and Hodge sweeping at half back, as well as Murphy having had a binder on Johnson in round 17, our one area which I beleive we can expose the Hawks the most, will still need to be on top of their game if we are to get over the line.
Old 23-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #132
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
They may well win, I think they will, but on paper it's very even I think. Hawthorn have a lot of hard nuts, and ball winners. I know it's been said that Geelong are #1 and Hawthorn are number #16 in contested posessions, but that has not been the case from what I've seen from the Hawks as of late. It certainy won't be the case this weekend either.

Blokes like Lewis, Sewell, Mitchell are going to need some serious attention. The hawks froward line in Franklin, Roughhead and to a lesser extent Osborne also pose a serious threat to the Geelong defence too. With the experience of Croad down back and Hodge sweeping at half back, as well as Murphy having had a binder on Johnson in round 17, our one area which I beleive we can expose the Hawks the most, will still need to be on top of their game if we are to get over the line.
You forgot Mark Williams, another bloke that can kick a bag.

It looks to be a great game but I reckon the Hawks will win....just.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #133
Stealth00

Hope your right Russell, will be a cracker of a game
Stealth00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #134
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
You forgot Mark Williams, another bloke that can kick a bag.

It looks to be a great game but I reckon the Hawks will win....just.
Yeah I did forget him! He kicked a bag on the weekend, 5 I think it was. He will be dangerous, and will make the Geelong defence work even harder. It's up to Geelongs mid field to put pressure on the Hawks and help out the defence.
Old 23-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #135
klone

I think Geelong will blow the Hawks out of the park. I'm a Roos supporter so there's no bias there, and I'll probably be behind the Hawks on the day anyway.

BTW: Congrats to Adam Cooney winning the Brownlow medal. Another Croweater takes gold!
Old 25-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #136
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm going to the game. Fly out today & cant wait!
As a port supporter, I will be hoping for a hawks win in a close one!
I hope the weather stays away!!!
Focussed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #137
bindaz
BINDAZ

COME ON THE CATS!!!!!!

Were goin to kick some serious butt!!
bindaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #138
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focussed
I'm going to the game. Fly out today & cant wait!
As a port supporter, I will be hoping for a hawks win in a close one!
I hope the weather stays away!!!
My old man in law is a Port fan. Based on the ribbing I gave him last year about the grand final and being a cat supporter I would have thought that he would hope the Cats get smashed. But looking at it from another perspective, he thinks Geelong were the best team all year and deserve to win it. He remembers back to the days of 02 and 03 when Port finished on top and choked in the finals, so he's always been dirty about that. I told him if you want the minor premier to be the premier you've got to watch the English Premier League. Pity he doesnt like Soccer ("Football").
Old 25-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #139
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

game will be over midway through the 2nd quarter. Geelong will once again make a mockery of the competition.

Hawthorn had an easy game against saints - the lack of on-ball competition has robbed clarkson of knowing how they will match up on a fast running side.

Expect a lot of goals kicked on the run, and some low Hawks faces. My wife and friends are all Hawks, so i would rather the hawks get up, but i dont think so.

my 2 c.

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 12:59 AM   #140
BZINGA