Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #121
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

why dont we lower the territory and put a load carrying **** under it????
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #122
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
why dont we lower the territory and put a load carrying **** under it????
Kind of defeats te purpose of it doesnt it...?
One of its strengths is its ride height.

Old 22-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #123
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Or one of it weaknesses , We have to face facts the territory is not a wagon the storage is just not there
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #124
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Ford in the last three years has become a zero risk company. i.e, If we can't be certain it will sell, we won't build it. I think this stems from the amount of financial manure that Holden found themselves in by building everything that everybody asked for. They found out the hard way that interest in a prototype does not necessarily equate to actual sales........
Holden are in the poo? No such thing as long as they have Centrelink backing them. As long as the government remain "worried and concerned" about the loss of jobs, Holden will always remain far from resourceful knowing all too well they have a great sponsor in the governmint. Refer to GM.
Whatever the outcome of both, I'll always know it was never an even playing field.
Old 22-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #125
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
I think there would be a market for a lowered Terri, if it was an option instead of the standard ride height. I personally would look at one.
Old 22-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #126
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
Or one of it weaknesses , We have to face facts the territory is not a wagon the storage is just not there
Territory is not a wagon, its never tried to be a wagon, its a SUV... Ford already have a Wagon, Holden dont, they have a SUV (captiva) and Commodore Hatch (sedan based SUV)... but no wagon....
The full size wagon market is shrinking... Ford cater to it, holden dont.

Old 22-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #127
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Territory is not a wagon, its never tried to be a wagon, its a SUV...
That's just semantics, it has a station wagon body. It's a road (not off-road) vehicle. The Range Rover (which started the whole silly "SUV" thing) was classed and marketed as a station wagon for many years. The registration certificates for my Range Rover and my Territory class them as station wagons. I use (used in the case of the RR which I no longer own) both as station wagons. If it looks like a station wagon it is a station wagon.

The Territory is a station wagon. Ford has two station wagons, the Falcon and the Territory. :

(sorry is that three including the Mondeo, I don't know much about Mondeos?)
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #128
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I think there would be a market for a lowered Terri, if it was an option instead of the standard ride height. I personally would look at one.
I think the wheels tucked that far up into the guards would look pretty . Maybe a factory option would get interest, but theres not too many people lowering Territory's to Falcon height or thereabouts.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #129
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Territory is not a wagon, its never tried to be a wagon, its a SUV... Ford already have a Wagon, Holden dont, they have a SUV (captiva) and Commodore Hatch (sedan based SUV)... but no wagon....
The full size wagon market is shrinking... Ford cater to it, holden dont.
When Territory was released/developed, wasnt it supposed to be a cross between wagon, SUV and people mover?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #130
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I think the wheels tucked that far up into the guards would look pretty . Maybe a factory option would get interest, but theres not too many people lowering Territory's to Falcon height or thereabouts.
Yeah you see a few, but not a huge amount. But Subie showed that there was a market. But if there was a lowered terri with warranty it might get a few extra bites. It wouldn't happen as it would be to big of a risk to spend the R&D on doing this.
Old 23-11-2009, 01:01 AM   #131
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
When Territory was released/developed, wasnt it supposed to be a cross between wagon, SUV and people mover?
Thats not something specific to Territory but to crossovers in general.
Old 23-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #132
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Yeah you see a few, but not a huge amount. But Subie showed that there was a market. But if there was a lowered terri with warranty it might get a few extra bites. It wouldn't happen as it would be to big of a risk to spend the R&D on doing this.
I think Subaru attract alot different crowd though, lending to more people trying to lower cars like the Forrester.
Old 23-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #133
prydey
Rob

FTG have a lowered terri with a boss in it i think. to me it just looks wrong with a lowered ride height. throws all the proportions way out.

if terri had a cheaper running cost (lpg or turbo diesel) i may consider it but until it does, my only option is the falcon wagon. i've had ef xr6, el futura, ba futura and now bf2 xt. most i've owned one for is 3 years. looks like my next car will have to be a sedan as i won't be switching brands. i'm ford to the core, regardless of model line up.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #134
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
FTG have a lowered terri with a boss in it i think. to me it just looks wrong with a lowered ride height. throws all the proportions way out.

if terri had a cheaper running cost (lpg or turbo diesel) i may consider it but until it does, my only option is the falcon wagon. i've had ef xr6, el futura, ba futura and now bf2 xt. most i've owned one for is 3 years. looks like my next car will have to be a sedan as i won't be switching brands. i'm ford to the core, regardless of model line up.
I agree.. its personal taste but from a sound design and aesthetic point of view the Territory's proportions look best when at the std ride height.

Its also a nicer vehicle to drive and use with the higher viewing/riding position.

Old 23-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #135
makattkd
RallyNav

Well as a recent new car buyer, if there was an option there for a FG Wagon along with IRS and XR specifications I would have been sold.

I looked long and hard a the Holden Sportswagon, but not being a holden fan, not liking the plastic interior, no option of a manual V6 and the fairly small boot space quickly ruled it out.

I know my father would also be lined up down at the local Ford dealership if they released a proper FG wagon, as would several other people I know. We don't want a big territory or a fwd modeo.. we want a proper FALCON!

I'd love to hear from any mondeo wagon owners that can tow a trailer full of gravel or a tandem car trailer. Load the boot to to roof lining with crap and not even notice it? I doubt it, and I doubt the front wheels would still be touching the ground.
makattkd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #136
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by makattkd

I'd love to hear from any mondeo wagon owners that can tow a trailer full of gravel or a tandem car trailer. Load the boot to to roof lining with crap and not even notice it? I doubt it, and I doubt the front wheels would still be touching the ground.
i think you underetimate the ability of engineers these days.
Old 23-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #137
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I could be very wrong here, but I thought the main selling point for the Falcon Wagon as far as the fleets are concerned, is that it is low enough that you can put decent roof racks on it, and fully laden it can still go into just about any multi-story car park. Wheras a van or SUV will not have the height clearance needed. If this is the case, even if lowered, the Territory will still be too tall due to the shape of it's body, not the suspension. Again I could be way off here.
Old 23-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #138
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well as a recent new car buyer, if there was an option there for a FG Wagon along with IRS and XR specifications I would have been sold.

I looked long and hard a the Holden Sportswagon, but not being a holden fan, not liking the plastic interior, no option of a manual V6 and the fairly small boot space quickly ruled it out.

I know my father would also be lined up down at the local Ford dealership if they released a proper FG wagon, as would several other people I know. We don't want a big territory or a fwd modeo.. we want a proper FALCON!

Spot on, I would have a XR6 wagon with auto though and with heavy duty tow pack, im actually not too fussed on the IRS as the leaf springs are good for towing (we tow a horse once a month) and the ute seems to be fine with them. I wont even consider a Mondeo. I have booked a testdrive of a SV6 Sportwagon for Thursday night, so we'l see how it goes. Much prefer the Fords though, the FG is a much beter car than the VE.

After 20 years of new Fords, first time I will test drive a new Holden eeewww!

Last edited by Brazen; 23-11-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #139
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
This is never going to happen. The R+D costs are not worth it. Holden have not gained any sales by going down this route, and Holden would be loosing a lot of dollars for going this way, and Ford can see that. If the VE Sportswagon was more of a success, than maybe we could have looked forward to seeing an FG rival, but it isn't, so we won't.
Old 23-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #140
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
when the ve wagon was released, everyone raved on about how well it sells and how silly ford is for not getting in on the action. the commodore sales (which include wagon) did not go up, which shows that those buying wagons were just eating into the sedan sales. ford gloated recently about the falcon sedan outselling the commodore sedan. why do you think that is? ve wagon is stealing sales.
I just thought I would include this graphic taken from the technical resources section. To me it appears that the Sportwagon has increased the commodore sales by around 800-1000 vehicles per month. The rate of decline in Commodore sales is still apparent, however the number of sales is on a higher plane since the introduction of the Sportwagon.

naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #141
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
I just thought I would include this graphic taken from the technical resources section. To me it appears that the Sportwagon has increased the commodore sales by around 800-1000 vehicles per month. The rate of decline in Commodore sales is still apparent, however the number of sales is on a higher plane since the introduction of the Sportwagon.

Very interesting Naddis01, it seems to confirm my own observations (which obviously would be a limited sample size).

Over the last year or so I have seen three parents at my sons school who have bought Holden Sportwagons. One replaced a Subaru Outback, one replaced a Nissan Patrol and another replaced a Mazda 3.
In those cases I believe they would have been incremental sales to Holden (im only guessing as they may have still bought a Commodore sedan if the wagon didnt exist).

And even in my case I am considering a Holden for the first time due only to a wagon being available.

Last edited by Brazen; 23-11-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #142
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That doesnt look right to me, is that a factually calculated "mean" average line or your "spin" on it?
The Commodore to Falcon split still looks about constant..
We know for a fact that since the Commodore hatch was released the sedan sales have dropped significantly comparred to Falcon sedan sales.

Old 23-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #143
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

They are just treandlines that I put in. How would you put them in? The dotted one that I have there would be if all things stayed the same and the Sportwagon wasnt released, which of course didnt happen so is just theory.

If Falcon sales are reasonably stable, and sportwagon sales are reasonably stable then Commodore sedan sales will be decreasing if total Commodore (sedan and wagon) are decling bringing the gap between the 2 sedans closer.
Old 23-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #144
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

I Still think all ford have to do is update the wagon again it is just that simple, maybe just an FG xr6 styled nose on it & maybe control blade rear end for an up speck model with turbo & xt model with leaf spring rear end for fleets. Can't be that hard they did it in the AU days (in sedans), Just think of the ads on telly showing a commodore hatch v8 be swallowed by a Turbo wagon. It would be sensational.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #145
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I should add that the dotted line is just theory as I dont have a plot of the Commodore sedan sales. You also have to remember the Falcon figures there include the BF3 wagon.

Just looking at Oct 09 the dotted line isn't too far off the mark when you minus the 381 Falcon wagon sales.

Another point to consider is the Commodore sedan sales will flatten out much the same as the Falcon sales have in the past year or 2 (Falcon actually appears to have a increasing trend this year). Otherwise there will be no sedan sales in around 3 years time if that trend continued, which of course wont happen.
Old 24-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #146
prydey
Rob

Quote:

the lines that you have added in support your theory because you put them there. where you have the second line that you claim is the release of the sportwagon, you will notice that the whole industry improved. if the wagon is the reason for the rise in commodore sales, why the rise in falcon?

if there was no wagon, do you really think the falcon would have been close to outselling the sedan?

there is no way that the wagon has boosted commodore sales by 800 - 1000 each month. the monthly sales figures tell a different story. commodore numbers remain consitant with the industry rising and falling regardless of wagon or no wagon.
Old 24-11-2009, 07:09 AM   #147
boris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
I Still think all ford have to do is update the wagon again it is just that simple, maybe just an FG xr6 styled nose on it & maybe control blade rear end for an up speck model with turbo & xt model with leaf spring rear end for fleets. Can't be that hard they did it in the AU days (in sedans), Just think of the ads on telly showing a commodore hatch v8 be swallowed by a Turbo wagon. It would be sensational.
I agree, just keep her going, just like they did with the falcon ute in the early 90's. Keep the fleets happy, update powertrain etc. If the market dictates, eventually when cash isn't so tight, do a whole new upgrade.
boris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #148
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
There are a plethura of SUV's now that cater to what was the "family wagon" market just far too well, a "sexy wagon" just wont cut it in that company. ......
True 5 years ago.

Look at what all the Euro brands are re-focusing on - wagons/estates - the SUV market is starting to level out.

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/cro...ept_460x0w.jpg

http://www.autoevolution.com/images/...ils-4136_1.JPG

http://www.techfresh.net/wp-content/...portlounge.jpg

Even the yanks >
http://www.dieselstation.com/pics/ca...r-pictures.jpg

An FG wagon with the clever interior/storage of the Territory would be a winner.

Territory sales figures are declining slowly but still declining.
Old 24-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #149
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
True 5 years ago.

Look at what all the Euro brands are re-focusing on - wagons/estates - the SUV market is starting to level out.

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/cro...ept_460x0w.jpg

http://www.autoevolution.com/images/...ils-4136_1.JPG

http://www.techfresh.net/wp-content/...portlounge.jpg

Even the yanks >
http://www.dieselstation.com/pics/ca...r-pictures.jpg

An FG wagon with the clever interior/storage of the Territory would be a winner.

Territory sales figures are declining slowly but still declining.
bmw, citroen and cadillac all look like suv's to me. def not typical wagon mould like the merc.

territory sales actually picked up a bit since the facelift.
Old 24-11-2009, 04:48 PM   #150
Chopped
as in chopped

!! SUV's generally have a high ride height.

http://jacksonville.com/lifestyles/2...ing_a_comeback

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...ips&id=7116072

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29516880/ns/business-autos/