Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Have Useless "Safety" Features gone too far?

I'm all for safer cars. Especially cars that handle better, and are more likely to save your life in a serious crash.

But I'm starting to suspect that some features are not only useless, but dangerous.
Let me take but one example: "Lane Departure Warning" and it's big brother "Lane-Keeping Assist."
It is a well established fact that the biggest killer on our roads is inattention. Whether its caused by fatigue, alcohol, texting, whatever. Even when the cops say it was "speed" what they actually mean is that the speed outstripped the drivers ability to react.

SO, do we really need features that actively encourage drivers to be drongos?
Frankly, if you can't keep your car between the lines, I don't want you driving anywhere near me. At best, all this will do is encourage more morons to text or twit or check for zits whilst driving. Besides which, the worst category of drivers just so happens to be those who will most likely ignore (or not hear) any beeping. I have seen them cruising along, with a fire engine right up their clacker, full bells & whistles, and completely oblivious.

The only way this technology should be accepted, is if instead of a buzzer, it is wired to electrodes in the driver's seat, roughly near the genitals.

The lane-keeping assist should simply be outright illegal. What idiot thought encouraging himbos to take their hands off the wheel, was a brilliant idea?

And since this technology relies on marked white lines, what the hell happens when there aren't any?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post