Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 09:18 PM   #121
frenzal
EF XR6

Guess what????/

Its actually ILLEGAL to have them on when its not foggy in NSW to!!
not just WA
Old 11-04-2006, 09:49 PM   #122
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzal
Guess what????/

not just WA
I love living in QLD. I can use my foglights when ever I please.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:57 PM   #123
drftspec

sorry in regards to my comments made ealier........ i spose it was the thread post that got me going :

yeah everyone is entitled to their opinion, but as a few others have said i also put mine on for visibility.There not bright blinding lightz like these 4x4's!
Old 11-04-2006, 11:38 PM   #124
macca_779
Turbine Power

Unhappy

I make note to high beam anyone aproaching me with fog lights on when not required. I have fogs on my car and when i was 18 i thought it was kewl to drive with them on too. I've grown up a bit since. Maybe a few more people should mature a bit and get over the **** factor of using them to advertise what u drive. O and its a $75 fine in NSW for using them when not reqd. And i know its illigal in VIC too as i got busted when i was young and stupid.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:24 AM   #125
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca_779
And i know its illigal in VIC too as i got busted when i was young and stupid.
You should have gone to court over it. Its not illegal in Vic.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:42 AM   #126
devil cv8

Quote:
I make note to high beam anyone aproaching me with fog lights on when not required.
and I ensure I return the favour.....

Old 12-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #127
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Careful who you high-beam, one of my friends would just switch on 10,000,000+ candle and you'd be a little out-beamed.

What annoys me is people using high-beam around where I live, very windy roads so wtf are they trying to see? All they do is blind people that they didn't see coming because they are going around a corner.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:25 PM   #128
Gimmers55
Black Jade Pony

Quote:
And i know its illigal in VIC too as i got busted when i was young and stupid.
Actually it is not illegal to drive with front fog lights on. It is not legal, however, to drive with rear foggies on when there is no fog.

What is also illegal is to hit an oncoming car with high beams. Not only illegal but unsafe.

Personally, I drive with them on any time of the day. When driving on highways (most days) I want to be seen (and that's not an ego thing either). Perhaps it's a habit drilled into me when I was a bike rider. I was once taken out by a driver who said that he didn't me when he changed lanes. One K100RS bites the dust. The Swedes have the right idea - you can't turn the lights off in Sweden.

Now that I have stated this, I won't be bothered reading any further posts on the subject - it's gone on longe enough
Old 12-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #129
zeta1
Starter Motor

Fog lights are great when there is fog. When used at any other time, particularly on a bright sunny day, they become ****er lights.

Ooh, look at me, I've got fog lights. Get a life you bunch of ****ers!
Old 12-04-2006, 09:33 PM   #130
AU1FORME
Son of Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Knowing that a majority of people here have got XR6 and XR8, , and these cars have the under bumper fog lights. WHY DO PEOPLE NEED TO DRIVE WITH THESE ON IN THE CITY AREA.

I have noticed that the majority are Rivers and Losers in commodores. There are not a lot of ford drivers who do, , probably due to an older average age.

Does anyone else get the sh*ts with those morons who need to drive with these lights on.

And in the day ????????????

AC/DC
Well from one Moron to another!!

YES as a matter of fact we do need to drive around in the day time with our lights on - you see, in the day time some colour cars are just as hard to see as at night (there is factual evidence of this) and having you lights on lets people see you better. - the RTA and QLDtransport were actually encouraging people to do this - How can this be a problem for you are they too bright for your sensitive eyes? is your life soooo great that this is the only thing you could complain about. /RANT OVER
Old 12-04-2006, 09:37 PM   #131
AU1FORME
Son of Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta1
Fog lights are great when there is fog. When used at any other time, particularly on a bright sunny day, they become ****er lights.

****ers now, first they are morons then they are ****ers - do you know any of them maybe you could pull them up and tell them to there face, hmmmm think not.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #132
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

I believe that it is VIC Police and Telstra Policy to have the driving light permanently on. The cars are programed to have them on at all times.

Bright Green XP Coupe
9" 3.55 LSD, C10 and mild 302 Windsor

Cruizing the roads 70's style
Old 12-04-2006, 10:19 PM   #133
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPcoupe
I believe that it is VIC Police and Telstra Policy to have the driving light permanently on. The cars are programed to have them on at all times.
Telstra have headlights on permanently. Their vehicles are not fitted with driving or fog lights.

Driving lights are completely different to fog lights. Driving lights (to be legal) must be wired to only come on when the high beams are on AND have a separate switch. There are also particular requirements as to where they must be mounted on the vehicle. I can quote this if anyone is really keen, but I'd first have to be given a chance to look it up as I can't remember it off the top of my head.

VicPol do not have any vehicles in their fleet where any kind of light is hardwired on. It is often a requirement for police to make a covert entry/approach to a particular place/job. This is also sometimes the reason why police vehicles are seen driving fast without any warning lights or sirens or perhaps even normal lights on. (I've added "sometimes" so as no-one needs to start having a sook about police speeding and high jacking the thread)
Old 12-04-2006, 10:28 PM   #134
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1FORME
****ers now, first they are morons then they are ****ers - do you know any of them maybe you could pull them up and tell them to there face, hmmmm think not.
zeta1 joined up today, logged on, posted in this thread and logged off... Wolf in sheeps clothing perhaps? Wonder if the admin's can compare IP addresses ;)
Old 12-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #135
Aeron
DJR Fan

I like the look of BA/BF XR's with the "fog" lights on. They just look like headlight to on-coming taffic, i've seen them. I dont drive with mine on because I thought they were illegal?
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Old 12-04-2006, 10:35 PM   #136
AMT
Come fly with P.S.I...

I think we should get over this issue, next there will be a thread about how many times we use our high beams or something stupid like that.......
Old 12-04-2006, 10:59 PM   #137
zeta1
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
zeta1 joined up today, logged on, posted in this thread and logged off... Wolf in sheeps clothing perhaps? Wonder if the admin's can compare IP addresses ;)
Joined up yesterday actually.

I just don't see the need for fog lights on, that's all.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:02 PM   #138
TotalDriver
Dedicated to Safety....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta1

Not a real nice way to address your new "Friends" you reckon?

Just my 2c
Old 12-04-2006, 11:04 PM   #139
zeta1
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1FORME
YES as a matter of fact we do need to drive around in the day time with our lights on - you see, in the day time some colour cars are just as hard to see as at night (there is factual evidence of this) and having you lights on lets people see you better. - the RTA and QLDtransport were actually encouraging people to do this - How can this be a problem for you are they too bright for your sensitive eyes? is your life soooo great that this is the only thing you could complain about. /RANT OVER
Good point, but the RTA and QLDtransport would be referring to head lights, not fog lights. The main problem is SS Commodores because, yes they are too bright and pointed too high.

I just don't get why people on here are defending using fog lights when there is no fog. If you want to be seen, put your head lights on. That is what they are for. Fog lights are just used as a fashion accessory, and used incorrectly by idiots who don't know any better.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:05 PM   #140
zeta1
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDriver
Not a real nice way to address your new "Friends" you reckon?

Just my 2c
Fair enough, was a bit harsh. It just ИИИИes me off and I couldn't resist.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:08 PM   #141
Gimmers55
Black Jade Pony

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzal
Guess what????/

not just WA

Actualy it's not illegal. I post the following from the Australian Road Rules, introduced in 1999 to standardise rules across the states:

Lights not to be used to dazzle other road users

A driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or
in the driver’s vehicle to dazzle, or in a way that is likely to
dazzle, another road user.

There is absolutely no reference to the illegal use of FRONT fog lights. If they don't dazzle another driver, they are legal; ipso facto, if the lights are designed in accordance with ADRs then they won't dazzle.

There is, however, a very clear rule that applies to the use of rear fog lights. In short, unless their is fog or other forms of reduced visibility (other than the Sun's set) don't use them.

Here is the location of the reference: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...nloads/p13.pdf

I promise I won't post again on this topic, really.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:20 PM   #142
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gimmers55 it is illegal. Like the Building Code of Australia, the ARRs are general. You need to refer to the NSW RTA Road Users Handbook, which states under General Road Rules: Lights and Horns -

"Front and rear fog lights must only be used in fog or rain, or when conditions such as smoke and dust limit your vision. It is a legal requirement that once conditions improve and you can see more clearly, the front and rear fog lights are switched off. If your vehicle is not fitted with fog lights you may use your headlights during the day in these adverse conditions."

I'd be surprised if it was much different in other states.
Old 13-04-2006, 08:10 AM   #143
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Gimmers55 it is illegal. Like the Building Code of Australia, the ARRs are general. You need to refer to the NSW RTA Road Users Handbook, which states under General Road Rules: Lights and Horns -

"Front and rear fog lights must only be used in fog or rain, or when conditions such as smoke and dust limit your vision. It is a legal requirement that once conditions improve and you can see more clearly, the front and rear fog lights are switched off. If your vehicle is not fitted with fog lights you may use your headlights during the day in these adverse conditions."

Don't confuse 'fog lights' with 'driving lights'

Fog lights-Are use in bad weather only to improve visability.
Driving lights - Are use by arrogent drivers like Mark Scafe and by people who think it doesn't effect other road users.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 13-04-2006, 09:31 AM   #144
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_Turbs
Telstra have headlights on permanently. Their vehicles are not fitted with driving or fog lights.
Last time I looked the SS and XR6/8 had fog laps and Telstra do not get special models with out fog laps installed. I am not talking about the white wagons with logo's on the side here.

Bright Green XP Coupe
9" 3.55 LSD, C10 and mild 302 Windsor

Cruizing the roads 70's style
Old 13-04-2006, 09:31 AM   #145
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How do you infer that I'm confusing fog lights and driving lights LTDHO? Others may, but I'm talking about fog lights. Driving lights are covered by the rules that relate to high beam - and should be wired to operate only with high beam. This thread is about fog lights and has gone on too long about something that's well-documented in the road rules for all to read.
Old 13-04-2006, 10:20 AM   #146
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
How do you infer that I'm confusing fog lights and driving lights LTDHO? Others may, but I'm talking about fog lights. Driving lights are covered by the rules that relate to high beam - and should be wired to operate only with high beam. This thread is about fog lights and has gone on too long about something that's well-documented in the road rules for all to read.
I wasn't having a go at you.
My response was a little 'tounge in cheek'.
This topic drags on and nothing gets resolved.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 13-04-2006, 10:30 AM   #147
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

146 posts in this thread already, who really cares. If you want to use your fog lamps do so, If you dont want to use them then dont.
Old 13-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #148
frenzal
EF XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmers55
Actualy it's not illegal. I post the following from the Australian Road Rules, introduced in 1999 to standardise rules across the states:

Lights not to be used to dazzle other road users

A driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or
in the driver’s vehicle to dazzle, or in a way that is likely to
dazzle, another road user.

There is absolutely no reference to the illegal use of FRONT fog lights. If they don't dazzle another driver, they are legal; ipso facto, if the lights are designed in accordance with ADRs then they won't dazzle.

Quote:

:MrT_anim:
Old 13-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #149
gozza

oh well...for the anal ones i have 100 watt headlights

get them into ya....damn wingers
Old 13-04-2006, 05:51 PM   #150
Gimmers55
Black Jade Pony

Quote:

I know I promised that I wouldn't post another note to this thread, which has gone on for far too long (perhaps another thread that covers inconsistencies across the States and C/waelth with regards to traffic laws is in order - probably already been covered).

You are right new2ford. I checked the NSW code and it states what you have quoted. In VIC, however, the Australian Road Rules are applied word fro word. Interestingly, the VIC code has an introductory statement that suggests that the Commonwealth regulations take precedence. I quote:

"This regulation does not prevent the Interpretation of Legislation Act 1984 from applying to the Road Rules to the extent that it can do so consistently with the application of the Acts Interpretation Act 1901 of the Commonwealth."

I haven't studied Law for . . . . (pause while he tries to remember) . . . and then only as an elective, but I recall that when there is an inconsistency between Commonwealth and State law, the Commonwealth statute takes precedence. Any lawyers about who can confirm this?

I wouldn't want to be the one who contests a fog light fine in a NSW court based on the application of the Australian Code and it's apparent inconsistency with NSW law; I'll let someone else attempt that one. In the mean time I'll turn my fog lights off to avoid tempting fate. My low beams, however will stay on regardless of the time of day.

Scope's under; stealth mode resumed. Out.