Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #211
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 
Default Re: Fukushima declared an emergency...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
^ I think you're onto something... The world awaits a sequel to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Rim_(film)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
That is such a lame movie. Oh crap, there is an actual sequel:
At least be aware of the effective original. Set in Japan as well. The timing is slightly off though
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #212
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi guys, here's a link to Tepco's latest Fukashima Scorpion robot efforts -

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/17/14...omission-tepco

Tepco will eventually get the robots to do the intended tasks, hopefully very soon.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #213
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Na, below is more like it perhaps cheap lol -

On the Beach

1959 film

7.3/10·IMDb

75%·Rotten Tomatoes

After World War III, Australia is the only remaining haven for mankind. However, wind currents carrying lingering radiation all but condemn those on the continent to the same fate suffered by the rest of the world. When the survivors receive a strange signal from San Diego, Cmdr. Dwight Towers (Gregory Peck) must undertake a mission with Lt. Peter Holmes (Anthony Perkins) to see if there is hope for humanity -- leaving behind Moira (Ava Gardner) and Mary (Donna Anderson), the women they love.

Director: Stanley Kramer

cheer's, Maka
G'day all , The life ending pill....That was scary ..Deciding when to take your government issued pill...I watched that 1959 movie late one night on ABC maybe 15 years ago...Didn't sleep a wink..The last scene of the submarine leaving Australia chills ya....I think they remade it for TV too with Armande Assante and the bloke from Blue Heelers. in it. Grant Bowler I think it was..... Someone like Kim Jung Un and his stuffed up countrymen some day could trigger something like this or some whack job in the Middle East with Jihad on his mind...hopefully common sense will always over ride these maniacs... Here's a review of that original film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnEa3GTWdG0 .Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 19-02-2017 at 11:15 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #214
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi Roddy, yep similar reaction from me after watching it years ago. On The Beach is a eye opener & wake up call from the cold war era, still valid today imo.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #215
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day Maka and all...I looked up the Telemovie version set in modern day .
It was Armande Assante (not Stacy Keach) as the star...It was made in 2000..so 17 years ago...Just as poignant...just as relevant as 41 years earlier..
Jaquie Lambie wants us to open up our uranium mines for nuclear power stations here too...Not too sure about that , there'd have to be a ton of fail safes for me to realistically consider that ..Power generation is a tough topic to get your head around and decide what way to go ..
Only time it won't be relevant is if indeed On The Beach scenario actually does happen..least of your worries will be power to your house........

Then again way past the war, Australia's car industry will regenerate...still for a tiny market but Mad Max Cars post apocolypse might get going.....picturing a couple of re painted Silohette XR8 Sprints with the proper supercharger and the Night Rider in a Black HSV 427 R8 in the cross hairs..
Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #216
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Jaquie Lambie wants us to open up our uranium mines for nuclear power stations here too...Not too sure about that , there'd have to be a ton of fail safes for me to realistically consider that
Molten Salt Reactors ....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post