Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #211
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Default Re: Australia Trip

I think I'm going to do Cairns and Darwin and skip Adelaide this time if I can get flights to work out, but I'm not sure of the order.
Old 26-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #212
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Well, today I bought the only map of Australia I could find. It's a foldout map of the entire country (Scale 1:3,500,000). But hey, it says it's waterproof.

Anyway, even at that scale I can tell that my early plans for the pre-Bathurst portion of my trip won't work.

I arrive in Sydney on the morning of 24 September (a Monday). I figured I'd take a day mostly for sleep in a hotel, and then spend 2 days touring the city.

That would have me leaving for Canberra either by Country Link train (is it worth it?) or hiring a car on 27 September (a Thursday). That looks like a reasonable day's drive, and I figure I could spend the rest of that day and one full day in ACT, so I'd be leaving again on 29 September.

The 7-day itinerary in my guidebook actually is a counterclockwise loop from Sydney to Melbourne. I was planning to do essentially the loop in reverse, but omitting Melbourne on this leg.

The itinerary goes out to Broken Hill. I'm looking at it on my map, and it looks like it would be 2 days' drive from Canberra, mostly on Highway 20, with not much in between.

I was thinking maybe I could fly from Canberra to Broken Hill, but I'm guessing Broken Hill has a very tiny airport.

If I do that, however, I could spend a day in Broken Hill, and possibly go to the Mad Max Museum in Silverton! (But on my map it looks like the road to Silverton is untarred!)

I was thinking if I flew to Broken Hill, I could hire a car and drive back along Highway 32 to Bathurst, possibly stopping in Wilcannia, Cobar, and/or Dubbo.

But again this looks like at least 2 days of driving.

I need to be at Bathurst on Thursday 4 October. Can anyone familiar with this region give me some advice?
Old 26-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #213
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Your options to broken hill are pretty limited due to its isolation, but it is doable.

http://www.visitbrokenhill.com.au/pa...d-broken-hill/

There are a few options at that link, it's just a matter of timing it around your schedule.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #214
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
stopping in Wilcannia
Avoid.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #215
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
Your options to broken hill are pretty limited due to its isolation, but it is doable.

http://www.visitbrokenhill.com.au/pa...d-broken-hill/

There are a few options at that link, it's just a matter of timing it around your schedule.
Hmm ... looks like my only options involve going back through Sydney.

If I skipped ACT, I could just drive out to Broken HIll and stop at Bathurst on the way back. But I'm guessing that would be a lot of driving without seeing much. Plus I'd like to see the Dish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Avoid.
This made me laugh heartily, but now I wish you would elaborate!
Old 27-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #216
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Avoid.

Add Cobar to this list.
Old 27-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #217
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Hmm ... looks like my only options involve going back through Sydney.

If I skipped ACT, I could just drive out to Broken HIll and stop at Bathurst on the way back. But I'm guessing that would be a lot of driving without seeing much. Plus I'd like to see the Dish!
You could drive Canberra to Broken Hill via Parkes
Although it's a 12 -13 hr drive not really including stops.
Then 8 or so hrs back to Dubbo if you wanted to see Dubbo before Bathurst.
Otherwise try and stop a night somewhere in between, make it a 3-4 day round trip.

Although its sort of remote country for the most part, but it is good to look at.
And you'll become proficient in Roo spotting and avoidance, lol
Roo's are most active dusk, dawn and a little during the night, just for your own info... During the day they mainly sleep.
Old 27-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #218
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

What road goes to Broken Hill from Parkes? All I see on my map is a railroad that does that.
Old 27-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #219
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

This should help http://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr...mra=ls&t=m&z=7
Old 27-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #220
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Thanks, mate! I'll check that later.

I've locked in the post-Bathurst part of my itinerary now.

On 9 October I fly to Cairns (will I regret booking with Jetstar?). I'll only have one full day there, though, because I needed a flight to Alice Springs next.

I fly to Alice on 11 October, and strangely I'll have as much or more time there than anywhere else. I'll take a 2-day tour of Uluru and Kata Tjuta, though.

Next I take the Ghan to Darwin on 15 October (it's a 25-hour trip).

I fly to Melbourne on 18 October, but that is going to be a long travel day with a stopover in Sydney.

On 22 October. I fly out of Melbourne and back home.

I wish I had more time in Cairns, Darwin, and Melbourne, but I really wanted to try the train. (Now I may not be able to make it to Glenrowan!)
Old 27-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #221
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Taking jetstar is only ok if your are shorter than 5 foot 6" as the space you get is very minimal,even in the emergency exit row, although most airlines are like this both Virgin and Qantas have more space to allow people above this height although if you're over 6` you will not be comfortable at all.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #222
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Well, that's a fairly short flight, and it was about a hundred dollars cheaper than Qantas. All my other flights are through Qantas. As much flying as I'll be doing with them, I may actually get some benefit from signing up for their Frequent Flyer Miles program.

I'm 6'4".
Old 27-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #223
zilo
BANNED

A few bad decisions in your itinerary in my opinion...

Jetstar will be same as AA or US airways...cheap and no frills...6'4...better get an exit row seat buddy...
Broken Hill is a long way to go for..well...nothing in particular except to say you have been there....allow 10 minutes in your itinerary for BH.

Allow more time in Cairns if you can...maybe do a barrier reef tour?

More time in Alice/darwin is good if you can do it.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #224
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i'm flown Jetstar plenty of times, and though i'm only 5ft11, there was heaps of extra space.

that was on the A320, 321 whatever variant they have
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #225
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well, today I bought the only map of Australia I could find. It's a foldout map of the entire country (Scale 1:3,500,000). But hey, it says it's waterproof.

Anyway, even at that scale I can tell that my early plans for the pre-Bathurst portion of my trip won't work.

I arrive in Sydney on the morning of 24 September (a Monday). I figured I'd take a day mostly for sleep in a hotel, and then spend 2 days touring the city.

That would have me leaving for Canberra either by Country Link train (is it worth it?) or hiring a car on 27 September (a Thursday). That looks like a reasonable day's drive, and I figure I could spend the rest of that day and one full day in ACT, so I'd be leaving again on 29 September.

The 7-day itinerary in my guidebook actually is a counterclockwise loop from Sydney to Melbourne. I was planning to do essentially the loop in reverse, but omitting Melbourne on this leg.

The itinerary goes out to Broken Hill. I'm looking at it on my map, and it looks like it would be 2 days' drive from Canberra, mostly on Highway 20, with not much in between.

I was thinking maybe I could fly from Canberra to Broken Hill, but I'm guessing Broken Hill has a very tiny airport.

If I do that, however, I could spend a day in Broken Hill, and possibly go to the Mad Max Museum in Silverton! (But on my map it looks like the road to Silverton is untarred!)

I was thinking if I flew to Broken Hill, I could hire a car and drive back along Highway 32 to Bathurst, possibly stopping in Wilcannia, Cobar, and/or Dubbo.

But again this looks like at least 2 days of driving.

I need to be at Bathurst on Thursday 4 October. Can anyone familiar with this region give me some advice?

G`day Moby-Vic, i went on a working holiday around oz many years ago, i was given a touring atlas of Australia prior to leaving, it turned out to be invaluable(way better than fold up maps), completely up to you mate , but if you get near a big shopping center there are usually a couple of good book shops, and a touring section. you might get a decent book from the ABC shop.
ABC book shops are dotted around oz
http://help.abcshop.com.au/questions.php?questionid=13
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #226
Fantome

Couple of things Moby,

Road from Broken Hill to Silverton and on to Mundi Mundi lookout ( further 10 kms which I recommend you do) are tarred albeit with a dip or causeway every kilometre or so!
The road Parkes to Broken Hill is only tarred in parts and the section Ivanhoe to Menindie is particularly rough and I doubt whether a rental company will let you take anything other than a 4WD along there. It is not an all weather road and Central Darling Shire Council are quick to close these roads to prevent damage.
Broken Hill has a reasonable size airport and terminal and is serviced by Dash 8 and SAAB 340 aircraft from either Adelaide, Sydney (via Dubbo or direct)
Highway 32 is in good nick and a good drive, Wilcannia has a lot of history as an inland steamer port But as others have said not an ideal overnight stop. Book ahead if staying at Cobar being an active mining town accommodation is sometimes at a premium.
Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #227
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
A few bad decisions in your itinerary in my opinion...

Jetstar will be same as AA or US airways...cheap and no frills...6'4...better get an exit row seat buddy...
Broken Hill is a long way to go for..well...nothing in particular except to say you have been there....allow 10 minutes in your itinerary for BH.

Allow more time in Cairns if you can...maybe do a barrier reef tour?

More time in Alice/darwin is good if you can do it.
I was limited by available flights and the train schedule. I think Broken Hill is out. I just have to kill some time before Bathurst, and I'd like to do it in the area.

But it looks like after a couple days in Sydney I'll go to ACT for a day or two, then work my way back through Sydney toward Bathurst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantome
Couple of things Moby,

Road from Broken Hill to Silverton and on to Mundi Mundi lookout ( further 10 kms which I recommend you do) are tarred albeit with a dip or causeway every kilometre or so!
The road Parkes to Broken Hill is only tarred in parts and the section Ivanhoe to Menindie is particularly rough and I doubt whether a rental company will let you take anything other than a 4WD along there. It is not an all weather road and Central Darling Shire Council are quick to close these roads to prevent damage.
Broken Hill has a reasonable size airport and terminal and is serviced by Dash 8 and SAAB 340 aircraft from either Adelaide, Sydney (via Dubbo or direct)
Highway 32 is in good nick and a good drive, Wilcannia has a lot of history as an inland steamer port But as others have said not an ideal overnight stop. Book ahead if staying at Cobar being an active mining town accommodation is sometimes at a premium.
I think you've convinced me not to try to drive there!
Old 28-08-2012, 01:31 AM   #228
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Next I take the Ghan to Darwin on 15 October (it's a 25-hour trip).
If it's of any help to you I am retired and living up here in Darwin for the last 30 odd years. So if you would like a local guide send me a PM and I would be glad to help out.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #229
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Do any of you have any experience with Wayoutback Desert Safaris?

These two sound interesting:
http://www.wayoutback.com.au/getdoc/...Itinerary.aspx

http://www.wayoutback.com.au/getdoc/...Itinerary.aspx

It looks like any tour where I stay in a hotel will charge me a penalty for being single!
Old 28-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #230
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

I finally got Ticketek's site to work! I have a Bathurst ticket now!
Old 28-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #231
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey moby if you arein the Geelong area and want to have a look down the great ocean road (victoria ) sent me a pm and I will see if we can give you a guided tour of the area

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #232
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

I'll have Friday 19 October through Sunday October 21 in the Melbourne area.

I had planned to visit the Ford Discovery Centre in Geelong, but obviously that's out.
Old 29-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #233
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heaps to see and do in Melbourne, not a bad time of year either, won't be too cold
Old 29-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #234
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Yeah, and only 3 days to do it!

I may not make it to Ned Kelly's Last Stand after all.
Old 29-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #235
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, and only 3 days to do it!

I may not make it to Ned Kelly's Last Stand after all.
In all seriousness I live about 1 hours drive from Glenrowan, the tourist stuff there is over-rated in my opinion

Besides that my wife is related to Ned Kelly by marriage, her great great (2 greats I think) Uncle was married to Neds sister Anne, his name was Alexander Gunn, he is written up in the history books, he spent time in prison with Ned. My wifes maternal family all come from the Benalla / Greta / Glenrowan area
Old 29-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #236
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Oh, I wanted to see it because it sounds so cheesy, not because it sounds good!

This is going to be an interesting trip no matter what. And I really appreciate all the advice and attention I've been given here!
Old 29-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #237
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Well, I almost waited too long to book a room in Alice Springs! I have to stay in two different hotels. I'm taking that Goanna Dreaming 3-day camping tour. That should be a memorable experience!

Will flies be a problem in mid-October?

By the way, many of you seem to be in the Melbourne area, or at least Victoria. I'll be there the 19th through the 21st. Could we meet somewhere?

I have no clue where I'm staying yet, but I'll have to book a room soon. My plane arrives in Melbourne at 11:40 on the night of the 18th, so I'll be exhausted when I get there.
Old 29-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #238
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Flies in October should be OK, it is only starting to warm up.

I can't doo that weekend, I am taking my old '66 Falcon on a club run to Bright (not far from Glenrowan - LOL)
Old 29-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #239
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
I can't doo that weekend, I am taking my old '66 Falcon on a club run to Bright (not far from Glenrowan - LOL)
Well, maybe we'll cross paths!

(But it's more likely we'll do so at Bathurst. Just look for the tall drunken American.)
Old 31-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #240
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
just looked also instead of booking your accom at ularu , try this site it has packages that leave alice and return with set dates in mind

http://www.ntstandby.com.au/index.cg...=tour&d=8&d2=2 .
That was a great tip! That site led me to the Wayoutback camping tour I'm taking. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
hey moby if you arein the Geelong area and want to have a look down the great ocean road (victoria ) sent me a pm and I will see if we can give you a guided tour of the area

Jason
I'll have to try to figure out a way to make that work. Looks like I'll be meeting with some blokes in Berwick on Friday/Saturday.