Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
lizardmech

Default Im so sick of 40 zones in Vic

Everyday I drive I seem to come across more timed 40 zones poping up everywhere in 60 zones. They seem to be getting put in stupider places each time. The newest ones I have seen are: 40 zone 7pm - 3 am on Mt alexander RD. I dont understand why some car yards 1 or 2 cafes and a panel beater need a 40 zone at those times. They have also put a school 40 zone on a street that doesnt even have a school on it, apparently they now go where children may or may not have to walk on the way to school. I mainly hate them because they are such a complete disaster with traffic they are more like road rage zones than school zones. You get abused and people almost run into the back of you if you do 40 and its hard turning at any street with them because the traffic is a mix of cars doing 40 and 60.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
drone

WHAT the McF**K

I didnt even notice mount was 40? Thats super gay i was driving 60 there all night. Are u sure its not 7am-3pm?
drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by drone
WHAT the McF**K

I didnt even notice mount was 40? Thats super gay i was driving 60 there all night. Are u sure its not 7am-3pm?
Nope its 7pm - 3am weds - sunday only. Its stupid that you are supposed to read all that, at least all the school ones are the same.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
santoitaliano
BF F6, APV SR3900

i love the ones with no time... school zone needs to be 40 at 2.am...

ugh..

White APV SR3900 [WIZZRD] (Click Here) [/COLOR]

Daily:
2006 Red BF F6 Typhoon
Bluepower enhanced.
santoitaliano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 04:58 PM   #5
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Timed school zones are 40 @ 2:30pm->4:30pm and 8am->9:30am unless permanently zoned signed 40kph.

Permanently zoning a zone as a 40kph zone is just lazy on the gov't behalf. They didn't want to spend the extra getting signs that removed the 40kph during non-school hours.

I've got nothing against timed 40kph zones. I current have a child in prep. It makes it easier to put out of a side street instead of waiting for hours.

Brenden

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 05:02 PM   #6
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Timed school zones are 40 @ 2:30pm->4:30pm and 8am->9:30am unless permanently zoned signed 40kph.

Permanently zoning a zone as a 40kph zone is just lazy on the gov't behalf. They didn't want to spend the extra getting signs that removed the 40kph during non-school hours.

I've got nothing against timed 40kph zones. I current have a child in prep. It makes it easier to put out of a side street instead of waiting for hours.

Brenden
They are alright if placed properly but I have seen them on 3 lane 80km/h zones with no footpath or once I saw one where the road was about 2.5M lower than the school and the kids would have to fall down a small cliff to get to the road.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:21 PM   #7
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

I noticed this coming from SA to VIC for my honeymoon. When I hit a school zone I was constantly looking at the clock and trying to work out what day it was(I was on holidays, monday has no meaning to me) and keeping an eye out for speed camera's, kids, bicycles, seagulls, mormons, lizards, aliens, shoppers and everynow and then, other cars and trucks.

Luckily I had the falcon which has a clock in it. Id have been fookayed if I was in the toyota echo, no clock in there.

SA is a bit easier, if the kids arent on the side of the road, no school zone speeds.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 06:19 PM   #8
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On Whitehorse Rd there's a section which is 40 going one way but 60 going in the other direction!! When I saw it I went WTF!?!?!? I can't comprehend the logic behind this. This to me, is just another Bracks Gov't and Scruby scheme to screw motorists even more.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 07:10 PM   #9
vbtruk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i hear ya guy's i was on FT'Gully road and that comes off the freeway at 100 then onto a 70 zone and in that there is a school zone at 40 but that doesn't bother me i am all for the safety of the kids but when i was doing 40 i got abused by a female in a BMW X5 and everyone was beeping me i was being passed like i was standing still no one seems to listen to them, ohh and yes i checked the time and it was well within the school zone time.
It's hard enough to concentrate as it is and on a road like that you would loose your license in one shot and might not know you were doing anything wrong.
vbtruk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 07:19 PM   #10
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Yep the whole thing is a big joke. How about those stupid signs with all the fine print about school zones being a 40 km/h during certain times of the schooldays. You're expected to have an accurate clock as well as knowledge of what defines a schoolday, even though it varies from school to school. Wouldn't it have been more logical to just have a flashing light on the sign to indicate when the 40 zone is in place? Also, many 40 zones are nowhere near schools or have a zero probability of genuinely benefitting schoolkids' safety, while others are in tight locations where 40 km/h is too fast for safety. Well done Bracks.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 07:25 PM   #11
Psycho Chicken
Banned

The school ones are stupid, I'm yet to hear if they are in force during school holidays or not. Guess what, I have no idea when school holidays are anymore, being that I don't have kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Id have been fookayed if I was in the toyota echo, no clock in there.
Assuming you could get one of those things to 41kph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbtruk
i hear ya guy's i was on FT'Gully road and that comes off the freeway at 100 then onto a 70 zone and in that there is a school zone at 40
That one is right outside my work and a pain in the ****. You fly off the freeway, down to 70, then down to 40 after looking at your clock and trying to figure it out.

It's not even a regular school, it's a special school with massive fences and I'm yet to see anyone walking their kids in there. There is a set of traffic lights 100 metres down the road, anyone who tried crossing FTG road in the 40 zone would be mad. More to the point, what the hell are they doing living in the factories on the other side of the road?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 07:37 PM   #12
AdzT3-146
own the road

theres a permenant 40 down my street, school zone. but there's never cops there and when it's rush hour at start or end of school you barely get past 20 anyway.

And the FTG road one, i never realised there's a 40 there, i just come off the freeway slow to 70 and continue.
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 07:38 PM   #13
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
When I hit a school zone I was constantly looking at the clock and trying to work out what day it was(I was on holidays, monday has no meaning to me) and keeping an eye out for speed camera's, kids, bicycles, seagulls, mormons, lizards, aliens, shoppers and everynow and then, other cars and trucks.
lol....good point mate there are that many things we have to keep an eye out for these days with speed zones, limits etc, that the one thing which is most important to do, being keep your eyes on the road ahead, becomes something that almost comes last on the to-do list!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 08:26 PM   #14
Kryton

what shits me is now its school holidays and people are still doing 40 through timed school zones!
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 08:27 PM   #15
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

Permanent 40s are in previously 50 zones, time limited are usually in 60-70k (normal) zones...

our whole main street here is 40, to stop "hoons" from driving over the speed limit which was previously 50... thing is if someone' is going to do 100 in a 50 zone, they'll just as easily do it in a 40 zone without thinking twice...
Old 07-04-2005, 08:31 PM   #16
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SileNceR
thing is if someone' is going to do 100 in a 50 zone, they'll just as easily do it in a 40 zone without thinking twice...
Wait a minute, you're in Victoria, isn't there some law about logic and road rules? Or does it only apply to the people making them?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 08:34 PM   #17
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the variable signs are a way to fix the problem, they have installed a few up our way, but only on major highways.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:45 PM   #18
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle
I think the variable signs are a way to fix the problem
you cant fix the problem and that is people speeding. just because a sign says 40 doesnt mean everyones gonna go "well damn, its 40 now, better slow down coz a sign said to"
really its common sense to go slow past a school anyway. signs shouldnt be needed for something that is just common sense. and how often at the end of a school day can you actually go over 20kmh with all the traffic and people running acroos the road.
educate the children to not just run onto a road thinking everything will be ok.

Last edited by Kryton; 07-04-2005 at 09:09 PM.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 10:44 PM   #19
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

I was commenting on this today when I was out and about. Driving down one road, the speed limit is 80 km/h, then drops to 60 km/h, school ahead, drop it back to second and sit on 40 km/h. Learner in front doing 50km/h, I was so busy watching the speedo (because the constable plod luuurvs this stretch of road) it was getting hard to concentrate on the road, let alone the new round abouts they've just put in. It really is getting rediculous! :
Old 07-04-2005, 11:52 PM   #20
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1
On Whitehorse Rd there's a section which is 40 going one way but 60 going in the other direction!! When I saw it I went WTF!?!?!? I can't comprehend the logic behind this. This to me, is just another Bracks Gov't and Scruby scheme to screw motorists even more.
My wife and I live off Whitehorse Rd Balwyn and from the cinemas to the library, a distance of 4.5km is a 40km/h zone from 5am until 10pm......Why old farts and school kids!,

The reason why was due to the fact that back in 2003, 43 people were hit by cars in that stretch of road.....
18 people over 55 years old,
22 school kids (school hours) aged from 10 to 18yo,
13 young adults from 19yo to 35yo,
Now the thing that they also had and didn't want people to know was that most of the people hit buy cars were getting off the tram!!!!!

I was an adviser for motorbike safety and planing to the local counsel and some of the F**king stupid ideas these people came up with would be enough to make some on go on a shooting rampage, :gren:
1. electronic speed controls on cars, (no theory on how it would be done!) someone mentioned GPS tracking and a computer program for cars with computers, as they all have this technology now days!!!!
2. Instalment of fencing to prevent people wandering onto the road, and only being able to cross at certain points. Well they have put in fencing but it's only 30 feet on either side of the tram stops!
3. Flashing sign post, they had to put these in so they could change it from a 40 to a 60km/h zone at 10pm and change it back to 40km/h at 5am.....the stupid thing is it still drops to a 40 zone on the weekends when the kids are not at school.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 07:47 AM   #21
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
you cant fix the problem and that is people speeding. just because a sign says 40 doesnt mean everyones gonna go "well damn, its 40 now, better slow down coz a sign said to"
really its common sense to go slow past a school anyway. signs shouldnt be needed for something that is just common sense. and how often at the end of a school day can you actually go over 20kmh with all the traffic and people running acroos the road.
educate the children to not just run onto a road thinking everything will be ok.
If common sense is so common, why haven't more people got it????
Old 08-04-2005, 07:51 AM   #22
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Crusie control works at 40 k's and above, I use that when going through quieter school zones.

I think the signs with times on them are a waste of time.

I fully support the lower zones around schools, but the many speed limits is a problem.

Going south into a town up our way, you are first met by a 80, then a 60, and if it school time, then a 40, then up to 50 through the town centre, then up to 70, then 80, then back to 100. Bloody hell that is confusing.

I can understand you frustration at having to watch the speedo, but the law is the law, and if you don't want a fine, then you obey the law.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:39 AM   #23
LTDHO
The one and only

Don't get me started.

Why you would slow down traffic and lenthen travel time and congest roads instead of teach children that that big heavy metal things hurt when they hit you, it beyond me.

It just shows the Vic Gov has no idea.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 08:52 AM   #24
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Don't get me started.

Why you would slow down traffic and lenthen travel time and congest roads instead of teach children that that big heavy metal things hurt when they hit you, it beyond me.

It just shows the Vic Gov has no idea.
This has long been my arguement! If you don't want to get hit by a car, stay off the bloody road or at least look for cars before you cross!!!!!!!! :

If I use the same logic I might just start driving on the footpath, then I can blame all the pedestrians for hitting my car and I would be innocent! :togo:
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 10:57 AM   #25
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3
3. Flashing sign post, they had to put these in so they could change it from a 40 to a 60km/h zone at 10pm and change it back to 40km/h at 5am.....the stupid thing is it still drops to a 40 zone on the weekends when the kids are not at school.
Yeah Shane, I know about that sign as I live just up the rd from the cinema (we're almost neighbors!). Thing is if they want to have a 40 zone (which is stupid enough in the 1st place), then shouldn't it apply to BOTH directions? From what I can see the flashing sign only aplies to traffic going towards Box Hill, but going the other way towards Kew, there's a fixed 60 sign. I don't see how er.... "safe" having a 40 limit in only 1 direction is.

I also think that if people would just take a sec or so to be more cautious, then they won't get run over. You have eyes people, LOOK before you cross!!! I hate it how it always is the motorists fault, and I don't think reducing limits can fix stupidity and ignorance!

Last edited by Homer1; 08-04-2005 at 11:05 AM.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 11:52 AM   #26
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Is the 40 zone on a downhill?

Also, if you believe every word in the latest TAC radio commercial where they compare the car doing 60 in a 60 zone and the car doing 67 in a 60 zone the ad states "But you were doing the speed limit, so you can't be blamed" where as the car was speeding they say "And because you were speeding, its your fault". So by that rational it doesn't matter if you hit someone, as long as you do it at the speed limit? I actually posed that question to the TAC but never got a responce.

When I was in primary school the focus was on teaching kids to stay off the roads, why that focus has been removed is beyond me. I would have thought lower speed limits AND education would be the key. I think the kids should be as constantly harrased as drivers are about staying off the roads! Hopefully this chase for $$$ is over soon and some real solutions are put in place.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 12:33 PM   #27
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
When I was in primary school the focus was on teaching kids to stay off the roads, why that focus has been removed is beyond me.
Yeah what happened to Hector the safety cat? He visited every primary school and there were ads on TV constantly.

We can educate the kids but unfortunately there are some parents that are as thick as planks. When I was picking up my son from primary school a couple of years back, I was in a two way street with cars parked on either side of the road, so it was just bedlam trying to get out. Next thing I know some idiot opens that back door of the car and a 2 year old jumps out of the car and runs into the middle of the road. The parent didn't even try to restrain the kid at all. :

Mothers pushing prams across the road when the don't walk light is on is another one that really pi$$es me off. I actually got out the car once and told one woman exactly what I thought of her actions and asked her if she thought about the consequences of her actions. Her reply was to tell me to f*** off and mind my own business. I'm sure it would have been my business if I didn't hit the anchors and hit the pram instead. :togo:
Old 08-04-2005, 12:38 PM   #28
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cbf reading the whole thing but has anyone mentioned it's school hols and the timed zones say on SCHOOL DAYS. This is why you would get yelled at for going 40...
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 12:47 PM   #29
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
I cbf reading the whole thing but has anyone mentioned it's school hols and the timed zones say on SCHOOL DAYS. This is why you would get yelled at for going 40...
How am I supposed to know the school holiday dates for all the different schools? Am I supposed to keep a list of all the different dates and read them as I approach a school zone? Anyway I often get abused by people who overtake me over double lines and then turn into the school to drop their kids off...
Old 08-04-2005, 01:31 PM   #30
5speedeb
now with 3.73 lsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
Everyday I drive I seem to come across more timed 40 zones poping up everywhere in 60 zones. They seem to be getting put in stupider places each time. The newest ones I have seen are: 40 zone 7pm - 3 am on Mt alexander RD. I dont understand why some car yards 1 or 2 cafes and a panel beater need a 40 zone at those times. They have also put a school 40 zone on a street that doesnt even have a school on it, apparently they now go where children may or may not have to walk on the way to school. I mainly hate them because they are such a complete disaster with traffic they are more like road rage zones than school zones. You get abused and people almost run into the back of you if you do 40 and its hard turning at any street with them because the traffic is a mix of cars doing 40 and 60.
where abouts in Mt alexander RD?
5speedeb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post