Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-11-2006, 10:41 PM   #1
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU3 probs - noise in rear end + fuel surge

i've checked the board and can't find any answers to my problems so here goes, hopefully easy things to solve and fix... oh, the car is a 2002 AU3 SR auto 6. and it's silver if that helps

1. somewhere in the back end there is a squeaky noise. sounds like a brake dragging (but they aren't). it only happens on tight corners / intersections / round-a-bouts, and it seems to go away once 'warmed up'.. i don't know how much movement there should be in the back, but to me it seems as though something must be moving in the corners as the car is fine in a straight line. any thoughts? checked the brakes and the handbrake..

2. when trying to drop a quick u-turn the car seems to suffer from fuel surge, ie it completely cuts out for a second then comes back to life (not what i want when doing ubolts on the highway). the few times it has happened i've had the car on power mode (auto) and had 1/2 a tank of fuel.. any thoughts..

thanks
-tim
PS the problems aren't that huge to me, just a bit annoying... but i don't drive the car very much the wife says the squeak is annoying as she drives it everyday..

sneaky is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh, and the fuel pump was replaced 2000k's ago
Old 07-11-2006, 10:48 PM   #3
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was this problem occuring before or after the fuel pump was replaced? if after how many k's after did it start?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:51 PM   #4
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypete23
oh, and the fuel pump was replaced 2000k's ago
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...urge#post13036

check thru this thread post6 I think .. fuel surge problems are usally tyed to the pickup sock thers a quick fix here some ware mite have to search a bit .. _2:
as for the brake squeak mite be time for a rotor machine

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #5
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i noticed the problem once before the fuel pump was done... then the pump was changed at 120k service (i missed it on the 90k service). so i 'checked' for the problem hoping it would be fixed with the new pump but it wasn't.

it's only done it 3 times to me, and twice i noticed fuel was on 1/2.. and it's only happened 3 times cause i've only done stupid things 3 times :(
Old 08-11-2006, 12:35 AM   #6
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypete23
1. somewhere in the back end there is a squeaky noise. sounds like a brake dragging (but they aren't). it only happens on tight corners / intersections / round-a-bouts, and it seems to go away once 'warmed up'.. i don't know how much movement there should be in the back, but to me it seems as though something must be moving in the corners as the car is fine in a straight line. any thoughts? checked the brakes and the handbrake..
The noise is more than likely your hand brake mechanism not fully releasing. Try this and see if it clears the "Squeak".

On the first time you drive your car for the day, just drive forward at about 10klm per hour, then slowly pull on your handbrake till it nearly stops the car. You should hear a "clunk", or 2 if you're lucky, from the back brakes, then disengage your handbrake fully. Actually it is the hand brake mechanism actuating, it will then release fully when you disengage your hand brake. I usually have to do this once per week as a rule.

When I first heard the noise, I thought it was a wheel bearing starting to go and followed it up with my mechanic. This is what he adsvised me to do as, he said, it was a fairly common problem with the AU hand brake pads going out of round after a while and rubbing on the inside of the drum.

Anyway, it works for me so I hope it solves your "squeak" as well.
Chippar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post