Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 20-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 5.0l

Hi all,

I'm just after some opinions of the 5.0L windsor. Generally, is it reliable and relatively trouble free engine even after 170,000km? I'm thinking about getting a VPSS or an EB XR8 for my daily driver.

Cheers.

XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
Dezza
Parts bin special

They are a good reliable engine. Ghia5L (I don't know if he's still part of this area of the forums though) has done about 350,000 with his 5.0litre. They don't suffer the head gasket issues like the 6 cylinders

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

All the 5.0s I have had have been stock bar bolt on stuff... intake/exhaust, and apart from regular maintenance they are trouble free... I have never been let down, and both 5.0's I have had have had over 200,000k’s when I got them...

If you can, go for a 5.0 Manual xr8... the auto really kills the fun factor with its way too tall first gear. But for a daily you may just want the auto to cruise around in... Its up to your preference really.

The only thing to really look for are leaking rear main seals, and a few small ignition issues... But a change of plugs, leads and coil and some dizzy maintenance will usually cure the low rpm hesitation that you may get.

Above 4500rpm, they tend to run out of steam, due to the restrictive nature of the HO manifold and E7 heads, but with a BA XR8, I doubt you'll feel the need to push it like that...

Good luck with it, and let us know how you go.

P.S., IMO the SS will be quicker and more fun to drive, but its up to you if you want to be a little bit different and go for the Ford in a sea of Commodores.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

As for the manual look for the firewall cracking where the cable goes into, also the clutch pedal pivot can crack otherwise they are a reliable motor if regularly maintained
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 10:55 PM   #5
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys. I'm planning to keep my XR8 for the "weekends" to keep the milage down etc. So I'll be needing a daily driver which has plenty of bottom end torque.

My budget is around 5 grand max. Would this be enough to get a reasonable milage (less than 180km) 5.0L falcon?
Old 20-08-2007, 11:14 PM   #6
EBIIXR6
★★★★★

not sure about perth but here 5 grand would get you a pretty tidy Eb or Vp with around the low 200 km mark
Old 20-08-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i got two mates with 5.0L windsors 1 was an EF the other was an AU EF at 300,000km's got a loud engine knock, he pulled it out and never looked at it just replaced it the AU got a similar knock and was a stuffed piston, had to be rebuilt was low kays too.

a commodore 5L will eat a ford 5L, purely because of the 1st gear ratio and low down tourque due to the intake manifold design, and they sound insane, also the VP's have a full hydraulic trans which IMHO shits all over computerised ones in fords and later holdens, if you get an SS they have IRS too. i've had 3 fords and two holdens, when it came time to get a V8 i got a 5L VP calais, and i'm glad i did. i looked at a few fords EB-EL but just weren't as punchy as the commos.
EBFalcs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #8
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Must admit that my 5.0l (ED XR8 Sprint) is best thing I have ever owned. She is my daily driver & goes great.

I have had her for over a year now & with regular services they seem to go forever.

Hate to admit it but as my daily driver she now has 230*** k's on her & still as tight to drive as a lighter K version.
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 11:34 PM   #9
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lets see him get a sprint for 5 g's
Old 21-08-2007, 12:20 AM   #10
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

best to stay on the safe side 3, and get a ford. You dont want to be punished by the almighty ford god. Dont know about everyone else here, but I couldnt car less whether the 5L commy went better. Commodores look like crap. And il be damed if Im going to surcome to driving jet pilot sticker pasted piece of Sh!t

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 12:31 AM   #11
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by I FluXx I
best to stay on the safe side 3, and get a ford. You dont want to be punished by the almighty ford god.
Lol. True, the ford gods wouldn't be too happy if I ended up with a 'fully sick' VN. :
Old 21-08-2007, 01:01 AM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBFalcs
i got two mates with 5.0L windsors 1 was an EF the other was an AU EF at 300,000km's got a loud engine knock, he pulled it out and never looked at it just replaced it the AU got a similar knock and was a stuffed piston, had to be rebuilt was low kays too.

a commodore 5L will eat a ford 5L, purely because of the 1st gear ratio and low down tourque due to the intake manifold design, and they sound insane, also the VP's have a full hydraulic trans which IMHO shits all over computerised ones in fords and later holdens, if you get an SS they have IRS too. i've had 3 fords and two holdens, when it came time to get a V8 i got a 5L VP calais, and i'm glad i did. i looked at a few fords EB-EL but just weren't as punchy as the commos.
Mate the power difference is in the gearing not the engine, also the 302 windsor is an extremely reliable engine. Why else do you think that they were in production for 40 something years? VP having IRS would be all good if it wasn't a flawed compromised design too. How long was the 304 Holden engine produced for?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 02:10 AM   #13
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Mate just get a Falcon and put some better diff gears in and ul be right. Having an AU 5Ltr in my Ef with worked Tranny and 4.11 diff gears is awesome. Have the benefit of explorer manifold and GT40 heads with better gearing, will eat commo's all day long, and sounds tougher!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 02:21 AM   #14
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't mind getting an EB XR6 manual if I can find one with the right kays and for the right price.
Old 21-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #15
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3
Thanks guys. I'm planning to keep my XR8 for the "weekends" to keep the milage down etc. So I'll be needing a daily driver which has plenty of bottom end torque.

My budget is around 5 grand max. Would this be enough to get a reasonable milage (less than 180km) 5.0L falcon?
Don't know how many e series are still actually under 180,000 kays.

I had a V8 ef gli. Bought it at 240,000 and sold it at 305,000 to my mate. It now has over 320,000 and is still running fine. Not the most powerful engine and it has a decent knocking noise (has done for most of the time I owned it) but it doesn't leak or use oil or water, and starts and goes first time every time. Very reliable. It does have good low down torque but if the Boss is anything like the 3V down low (all low down power/torque comments re the Boss 260 vs the 3V not withstanding) nothing short of a 220KW windsor will come close to the performance of your XR8.

I would say that the standard E series 5 litre is about as quick as the standard EF/EL 6 but with a bit more mid range punch for climbing hills or freeway acceleration. It's no powerhouse unless well modded.

You should be able to get a very good V8 powered EB or ED Falcon/Fairmont or XR8 for $5000 or a reasonable, high kay V8 EF Fairmont. I doubt you would get a good EL for that price and it's nowhere near enough for a good EF/EL XR8.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 02:09 PM   #16
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the replies. Just wondering if it's possible to convert the EB XR6/XR8 front to the ED quad-headlight front? How much?

Cheers.
Old 22-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #17
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

It certainly is possible, we watched Efected do it to his car last night in a car park at our mini meet.

Its just a matter of buying the new grille, headlights and indicators, and swapping them over.

The price can vary, its just a matter of finding some in good condition. I would allow at least $600 though.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #18
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My bro used to own a EBII 5 litre, damn it was a beast, sounded tough and went well!
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 07:54 PM   #19
t2te50
Banned

I'd just use the BA XR8 as a daily driver. It's no T series or FPV so who cares.
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #20
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2te50
I'd just use the BA XR8 as a daily driver. It's no T series or FPV so who cares.
The 'daily driver' thing was just an excuse. I've always wanted a second car :.
Old 22-08-2007, 11:46 PM   #21
BaYa
Just Cruzing

My mate has a 5lt Vr and he did to many spirited take offs in it and snapped the irs kframe . if you go the crummiedoor its more than likely had a thrashing :eclipsee_ so stay with the trusty blue oval for 5K should be able to find a nice 5lt for that. i know the next car i buy will be an v8

MOD'S
Herrod Extractors & Redback exhaust
lowered
Au xr6 rims

Successful Trades with:BradensEBxr6, snypereb, EDXR6T, ORSMF6
Old 22-08-2007, 11:46 PM   #22
t2te50
Banned

Two rego's, two insurances unless your loaded a waste of dough. This is coming from someone about to embark on a head kicking 347 build up.
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #23
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2te50
Two rego's, two insurances unless your loaded a waste of dough. This is coming from someone about to embark on a head kicking 347 build up.
haha, its easy... Your only broke for a few weeks a year :(

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #24
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
Mate the power difference is in the gearing not the engine, also the 302 windsor is an extremely reliable engine. Why else do you think that they were in production for 40 something years? VP having IRS would be all good if it wasn't a flawed compromised design too. How long was the 304 Holden engine produced for?
the holden 5L went from about 1965 to 1999.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:44 AM   #25
SLO-04L
It Never Ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBFalcs
the holden 5L went from about 1965 to 1999.
308 might have started in 65 but it ended in 86 with the VL that ran a 304, that ran untill the series 1 VT's which would have been 98/99, still all 5L tho or 4.978 something
SLO-04L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2007, 10:18 AM   #26
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTHIS
308 might have started in 65 but it ended in 86 with the VL that ran a 304, that ran untill the series 1 VT's which would have been 98/99, still all 5L tho or 4.978 something
Exactly.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #27
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Ive had my 5ltr for a while now and i love it!, sounds great with the exhaust im running!, and very realiable so far!
Old 13-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #28
mark_TD
XR6 Turbo FTW

I have a 5.0ltre LTD and I have found it reliable. I was thinking the same as Fairlane Ghia but have 2 more things to add and that is the harmonic balance are common to go so I have now a racing spec one in mine which has solved that problem and the other thing is the valley gasket goes on them so watch out for that too other with they are great with no head gasket issues. I recommend them
Blueprint, 19" FG2 XR6 Luxo Rims, Momo Steering Wheel, XR8 Bonnet Buldge, Full Leather, 3.7 Typhoon Diff Gears, Force Lip Spoiler, De-badged, Ghia Boot Garnish, Pedders Adjustable Coil- Overs And Camber Kit

96 EL XR6 - (Daily)
Gunmetal Grey, 19" Typhoon Copies, Tickford Body Kit, Pedders Sports Ryders With Shortened Shocks And Camber Kit, Full S/S Difilipo Exhaust With Matching Extractors

mark_TD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post