Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Australia Needs This Sheriff!!!

Maricopa County, Arizona, Sheriff Joe Arpaio has planned a particularly economical meal for the roughly 7,500 to 10,000 inmates in his jail system this Thanksgiving.

The meal comes in at a cost of just 56 cents per inmate, and its main entrée will be 24-cent vegetarian turkey soy casserole. Arpaio tweeted the Thanksgiving menu Wednesday morning.

“Hope the inmates give thanks for this special meal being served in the jails tomorrow," Arpaio's tweet said.

The official Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office website features a bio of Arpaio that touts his accomplishments in providing inmates with “the cheapest meals in the U.S.” by feeding inmates “only twice daily, to cut the labor costs of meal delivery." Arpaio has “even stopped serving them salt and pepper” to save taxpayer money, according to the bio.

The average meal for an inmate in a Maricopa County jail costs between 15 and 40 cents, according to the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office website.

In September, Arpaio implemented a vegetarian diet for inmates in an effort to save $100,000 on food costs for prisoners. He also announced in March a plan to charge inmates $1 for their meals, according to ABC15.

"Everybody else has to pay for their food, why should [inmates] get freebies?" Arpaio said in an ABC15 news video.

Last Thanksgiving, the controversial sheriff complained about the cost of providing a Thanksgiving meal to each inmate in a press release, calling the “whopping 68 cents” paid for every meal an “astronomical increase" from the cost of previous Thanksgiving dinners.

A 2012 East Oregonian article about a Thanksgiving dinner for inmates that cost 98 cents per prisoner quoted an assistant prison superintendent, who noted that treating inmates with a sense of humanity at the holidays helps prepare them for life after prison and may reduce recidivism rates. "We don't want to release angry inmates," the assistant noted. The Oregon meal included 634 pounds of sliced turkey breast, cranberry sauce and gravy.

In a Veteran’s Day press release earlier this month, Arpaio announced another questionable jailhouse initiative called “Patriotic Jails,” which introduced an exclusively “bread and water" diet for 30-day periods of time as punishment for allegedly unpatriotic acts.

“Any defacement or vandalism of the flags by inmates comes with the penalty of bread and water. Ten inmates are currently on bread and water for this infraction,” Arpaio said in the press release.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...?ncid=webmail3

Old 29-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Re: Australia Needs This Sheriff!!!

one can dream about this being adopted in australia
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Trump
bitch lasagne

With the US prison population growing faster than their debt, I wouldn't be lauding his efforts. People are being incarcerated for trivial things of late. He's tarred all of the inmates with the same brush, when by and large, most of them are only guilty of being poor.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
With the US prison population growing faster than their debt, I wouldn't be lauding his efforts. People are being incarcerated for trivial things of late. He's tarred all of the inmates with the same brush, when by and large, most of them are only guilty of being poor.
Poor buggers, I am guessing they are only in prison because they are being discriminated against and misunderstood, I bet not a crime has been committed by any of them.

May be we should send them a care package

Please anyone that is in prison is there for a very good reason, they would have had plenty of chances before they finally get locked up.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Poor buggers, I am guessing they are only in prison because they are being discriminated against and misunderstood, I bet not a crime has been committed by any of them.

May be we should send them a care package

Please anyone that is in prison is there for a very good reason, they would have had plenty of chances before they finally get locked up.
Oh that unwavering faith in the perfect legal system...

Unlike here in Australia, the US welfare system whilst consuming a massive portion of tax receipts, does almost nothing for the genuinely poor and disadvantaged. Besides the food stamp program (which is rorted to buggery), there is zero support for people in genuine need of a hand.

When people have nothing left to lose, they lose it...
5 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Oh that unwavering faith in the perfect legal system...

Unlike here in Australia, the US welfare system whilst consuming a massive portion of tax receipts, does almost nothing for the genuinely poor and disadvantaged. Besides the food stamp program (which is rorted to buggery), there is zero support for people in genuine need of a hand.
So you are suggesting these people were simply walking down street and a bored copper came along and decided to frame them and make up some offences, to send them off to prison??

I must just be lucky, have never been arrested or charged or even fined when I was doing nothing wrong....may be I am just one of the lucky ones

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
So you are suggesting these people were simply walking down street and a bored copper came along and decided to frame them and make up some offences, to send them off to prison??

I must just be lucky, have never been arrested or charged or even fined when I was doing nothing wrong....may be I am just one of the lucky ones
When someone is that hard up to simply feed himself that they have to resort to stealing a feed thats how. With any form of theft in the US fast becoming declared a felony, jail time is inevitable.

I've experienced the US "welfare" system first hand and this sort of thing is commonplace.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #8
rog xc

So everyone in prison is a scum bag who deserves to be there? Interesting, I met a few reasonable people in the 16 months I was there...

& that sheriff is a ******. What rot, to say that the prisoners should have to pay their way "as everyone else does". Do they get to earn a living too, same as everyone else? Or their freedom to come & go as everyone else?
rog xc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we see the real bad crooks on TV and paint the rest of the prison population with the same brush. Some good blokes in there who just made a mistake...
Adamz Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #10
Ansith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That guy is possibly one of the worst people to be running a prison. They send people into that place for very minor things.

People are in Prison as punishment, not for punishment.
Ansith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #11
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

The responses so far have surprised me.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #12
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I think we see the real bad crooks on TV and paint the rest of the prison population with the same brush. Some good blokes in there who just made a mistake...
You don’t get sent to prison for making a “mistake” you get sent there for committing a relatively serious crime. Using words like “mistake” is simply an excuse. We have a really bad habit in this society of not holding individuals accountable for their actions.
I like the old saying “you do the crime, you do the time.”

Whilst I imagine prison changes people, I'm sure there ARE all types of people in there. I agree it is wrong to tar them all with the same brush. A loving family man who steals money is a criminal and a thief, but he’s still a loving family man.

One of my major criticisms of the penal system, is that it fails to adequately distinguish between those criminals who are a danger to the community and need to be kept in strict security, and those who aren’t and could be punished using other means.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
You don’t get sent to prison for making a “mistake” you get sent there for committing a relatively serious crime. Using words like “mistake” is simply an excuse. We have a really bad habit in this society of not holding individuals accountable for their actions.
I like the old saying “you do the crime, you do the time.”
^^^^^ This, it is NOT a mistake it's a crime, people know what they are doing when they steal your car, rob your house, hold up a servo etc etc these are not mistakes they are planned actions committed by human garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
One of my major criticisms of the penal system, is that it fails to adequately distinguish between those criminals who are a danger to the community and need to be kept in strict security, and those who aren’t and could be punished using other means.
It actually does, most people not considered a danger are out on parole, walking the street, in Australia this includes armed robbers and murderers, the only ones in prison are the ones that commit the crime over and over and often while out on parole, Most people who steal, commit fraud, steal cars, assault people, bash their wife, and minor robbery offences only get a suspended sentence for the first 2-5 times before they finally get a custodial sentence, same with scum dealing drugs to school kids, most get told not to do it again for a few times before they get locked up.

Then there are different prisons for different types of prisoners, some are holiday resorts where they can leave and return as they please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises
When someone is that hard up to simply feed himself that they have to resort to stealing a feed thats how. With any form of theft in the US fast becoming declared a felony, jail time is inevitable.

I've experienced the US "welfare" system first hand and this sort of thing is commonplace.
Very easy to avoid this, get up in the morning and get a job instead of lazing around waiting for hand outs, or going stealing other peoples property that they had to get up for and work for to feed your drug habit

Most people manage to do it, so it's a choice they make, not a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog xc
So everyone in prison is a scum bag who deserves to be there? Interesting, I met a few reasonable people in the 16 months I was there...
Definitely without a doubt, people get plenty of chances before they finally get send to prison, even the strictest US states have a 3 strikes policy, where you need to make at least three 'mistakes ' before you get locked. Doing it once MIGHT be a mistake, second time it's no longer a mistake it's a choice you made.

Pretty sure there are plenty of reasonable thiefs, robbers, rapists and murderers out there, does not change the fact they are grubs and a burden on society and mostly a waste of oxygen let alone food

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog xc
that sheriff is a ******. What rot, to say that the prisoners should have to pay their way "as everyone else does". Do they get to earn a living too, same as everyone else? Or their freedom to come & go as everyone else?
So they commit a crime against society, and then society is supposed to provide them with accommodation, food, medical care, pay TV all while they sit around and lift weights and play pool. It blows my mind how some people think.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 30-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #14
superyob
Banned

Many claims being made in favour of these prisoners with no evidence given as to why they are incarcerated... This is commonly called hearsay and opinion, not fact...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really feel he is going a bit far. Although there is a valid case for not being soft on criminals there are a number of important factors that the redneck element just don't get
  1. Imprisonment is managed by the department of CORRECTIONS , the aim is to reduce reoffending not to punish. measures like this breed resentment leading to rebellion and a failure of the corrective function of prisons.
  2. the current economic climate in the US has lead to a dramatic increase in the prison population , the get a job brigade have no idea. the jobs aren't there and they don't have a never ending welfare system like Australia has. when you run out of your allocated time on welfare you have very few options other than crime to support yourself . not all the prison population in the US are career drugged crims, some are family men trying to feed their family.
  3. the legal system in the US is very different to Australia if you upset the wrong person in some of the backwater counties you can find yourself in prison on a trumped up charge that you will eventually beat but while on remand you are set up for further charges while there. these corrupt counties do exist.
  4. offences that would result in a fine or community service here can attract a lengthy prison term in the US
how many of you who are on your high horse would steal if there was no food for your children and no prospect of even a menial job?
your child needs surgery or faces death you have no health insurance due to unemployment , you have had your house reposed so you can't borrow against it. therefore can't get the surgery so you have 2 choices in the American health system pay up big dollars you don't have or your child dies. do you steal to save the life of your child in a system that will not help ( we don't realise how good medicare is)
it is not as black and white as it first seems but some here would have the death penalty for illegal parking

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
11 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
superyob
Banned

I understand your point au3xr6, that is not my issue. My issue is the many assumptions being made that are passed off as 'fact'... as I said before, opinion and hearsay are not factual and cannot be taken seriously in these discussions...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where does it actually say Sheriff Joe Arpaiois punishing or even treating inmates badly. It does state he is being economical but not abusive.
if a meal can be had that cheap at his prison I dare say the cost of food at other prisons is of a similar low order. I doubt he has managed a saving of multiple dollars. I'm also assuming labor for preparing the meal is free and when you buy in bulk and meals for 10,000 inmare sis bulk its easy to make a meal really cheap.
Only downside with his plan is on a vegetarian diet those 'real bad crims' will live longer

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

"Pinky" Joe Arpaio is just trying to deter future inmates from offending & balance his books at the same time. Memo to future Arizona prisoners - BYO ketchup, salt & pepper & best behaviour or else lol!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #19
Ansith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Where does it actually say Sheriff Joe Arpaiois punishing or even treating inmates badly. It does state he is being economical but not abusive.
There's much more about this guy all over the internet. I don't really consider chain gangs to be acceptable, but that's something that he does pretty often. If you add that to only feeding them twice a day, I think he's going way too far.
Ansith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #20
BHDOGS
Banned

I think he's not going far enough being in prison isn't punishment unless it's hard and
Sucks to be there chain away joe chain away
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJMR56H6MA0

That guy spent a few years in jail without ever being convicted of anything?

The system isn't perfect, so people end up in jail not just because they actually did commit a serious offence.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #22
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
^^^^^ This, it is NOT a mistake it's a crime, people know what they are doing when they steal your car, rob your house, hold up a servo etc etc these are not mistakes they are planned actions committed by human garbage.

It actually does, most people not considered a danger are out on parole, walking the street, in Australia this includes armed robbers and murderers, the only ones in prison are the ones that commit the crime over and over and often while out on parole, Most people who steal, commit fraud, steal cars, assault people, bash their wife, and minor robbery offences only get a suspended sentence for the first 2-5 times before they finally get a custodial sentence, same with scum dealing drugs to school kids, most get told not to do it again for a few times before they get locked up.

Then there are different prisons for different types of prisoners, some are holiday resorts where they can leave and return as they please

Very easy to avoid this, get up in the morning and get a job instead of lazing around waiting for hand outs, or going stealing other peoples property that they had to get up for and work for to feed your drug habit

Most people manage to do it, so it's a choice they make, not a mistake

Definitely without a doubt, people get plenty of chances before they finally get send to prison, even the strictest US states have a 3 strikes policy, where you need to make at least three 'mistakes ' before you get locked. Doing it once MIGHT be a mistake, second time it's no longer a mistake it's a choice you made.

Pretty sure there are plenty of reasonable thiefs, robbers, rapists and murderers out there, does not change the fact they are grubs and a burden on society and mostly a waste of oxygen let alone food

So they commit a crime against society, and then society is supposed to provide them with accommodation, food, medical care, pay TV all while they sit around and lift weights and play pool. It blows my mind how some people think.
You ignore the fact that to many people who end up in prison are there with mental health issues or come from certain indigenous groups. It is easy to punish but much harder to care. If Jeff Kennett had not effectively closed mental health in Victoria, we wouldn't need to spend nearly $1b on a new prison.

I'm not defending those in prison for good reason but as a society, we have failed many of the people who are there.

Once someone goes to prison, all you do is make them a better criminal.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #23
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's easy to sit up on your perch and judge others from up high. Try living day to day not knowing where your next meal is going to come from, or that of your kids. You can tell the people on here who have never hit rock bottom by their replies. Yes there are true scum in prison, but there are the mentally ill ones, and the ones who have to steal to survive. American society doesn't stop to help those less fortunate, they're left behind and forgotten...

Prison is meant for rehabilitation in preparation for release into society, that's the aim of our justice system. Not to lock them up and treat them like animals as some on here would have...
Adamz Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #24
rog xc

Well, must say that with some of the "holier than thou" attitudes expressed in this thread, Jesus wasn't the only perfect person to be born ..

But you know what they say.. Opinions are like bumholes, everyone's got one, but most don't look good in public
rog xc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2013, 12:59 AM   #25
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If any of the bleeding hearts posters bothered to check out the Joe Arpaio story, they would find some startling results in his form of rehabilitation. In 1992, Arpaio successfully campaigned to become the Sheriff of Maricopa County. Since then he has been re-elected to an unprecedented six 4-year terms. During his tenure as Sheriff of Maricopa County, Arpaio has consistently earned high public approval ratings.
If your house is burgled like mine has been three times with priceless family memories gone forever, or if one of your family is violated, you may form a different opinion.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #26
George1861

The inmates are housed in tents and wear pink uniforms, not really "punishment", but an incentive not to come back. Many Africans live on a dollar a day in food.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #27
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You don't have to be perfect not to go to prison, you just don't have to be a criminal. I love how people always come up with excuses like, if your shild was dying would you steal to save it and other similar BS.

Really how many people do you believe are in prison because someone was stealing to save their child's life or similar sob story

Most people are in prison because they are too lazy to go to work, we all start off naked with nothing and then we make choices, I have never been given a single thing, started collecting trollies after school at 15 to buy my first car at 17, had a job working 70 plus hours a week for ten years to pay my first house off, travelled all over the country for work and still do 20 years later, currently doing a three year work assignment in a remote country location, where the closest shop or servo is 100km away, working 10-15 hour days while others chose to laze around and play video games. but in return I just purchased 2.5 acres in Port Maquarie and payed cash, but geez I am so lucky because I get to bust my balls, decided to stay here longer till I can build the house and shed I want.

There is work around but it just won't come to you, you have to get up and find it and then go there every day and bust your balls to get somewhere.

Most prisoners are not locked up because they wanted to save their dying child, or sick grandmother, they are there because the are lazy scum looking for the easy way out.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 01-12-2013 at 12:54 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #28
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
If any of the bleeding hearts posters bothered to check out the Joe Arpaio story, they would find some startling results in his form of rehabilitation.
this is good advice, as a "bleeding heart" I had a look into arpaio and WAS startled in what I found

most of arpaio's inmates are detainees awaiting trial; they are innocent until proven guilty but their constitutional rights are violated anyway

he clears 75% of his cases without arrest or proper investigation, including more than 400 sex crimes and 32 child molestations

arpaio uses public funding and police resources to investigate his political rivals, which include mayors, judges, attorneys general, a school superintendent, and a newspaper editor

he spent 100 million dollars of public funding (that was meant to go towards detention facilities) on these investigations and to take his officers on trips to a fishing resort in Alaska and to Disneyland

arpaio charged an 18 year-old with plotting to kill arpaio with a pipe bomb; after the man had spent four years in jail it was discovered that arpaio's detectives had bought the bomb parts themselves and entrapped the 18yo

he racially profiles latinos; his officers pull them up and question them under suspicion of being illegal aliens despite having no probable cause for intercepting them, violating their constitutional rights

that's just what I learned in about 10 minutes reading

the guy is a grub who doesn't deserve to manage a hungry jacks much less a law enforcement agency
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #29
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ Well the electors of Maricopa County have disagreed with your point of view for the past 24 years.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #30
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
^^^ Well the electors of Maricopa County have disagreed with your point of view for the past 24 years.
the way a bunch of rednecks votes impresses me. remember that in the US you can be elected by less that 10% of the adult population if that's all that shows up to vote. This shows how bad our compulsory voting system that gets a true cross section is

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: