Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-05-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Momo Steering wheel

Hey all,

Ive read all your posts about non standard steering wheels, but i have something to ask.

The Momo steering wheels that came out on the AUXR6 and AUXR8. These can be bought off ebay for about $250. Check the below link.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ayphotohosting

Now I rang ford the check these prices and they sell them new for $1584, I Nearly fell off my chair.

But my questions is, if i get this Steering Wheel fitted then I am left with the middle section of my current wheel, which is a dull gray. I asked Ford about replacing it with a black middle bit (With Radio buttons and Cruise Control) and they told me that I need to replace the whole air bag at a cost of $500 just for the part, let alone labour.

Is this True ?

For those of you who have a Falcon, and replaced the whole wheel, what did u do with your gray middle section ?

I would love some pics if you can post them.

Attached it the pic from ebay. Ive also included a pic from another website showing the same colour interior of my car. Try picture how stupid it might look with a nice dark momo steering wheel and keeping the middle bit Grey.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
AUIIXR8_Tas

I was thinking about that but realised that my XR has the black middle bit. I'm thinking about ****ing the whole thing off (airbag included) and getting one of these bad boys (or something very similar):

I'll just have to do something with some cruise control buttons which i never use anyway.
AUIIXR8_Tas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
I6corp
Was V6corp

AUIIXR8_Tas: Thats what im doing, to much work in replacing the handles and getting the middle bit back on + coloured right.
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #4
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Well, you HAVE to have an Air Bag fitted or it CAN NOT be registered and will get you a defect slip if you are pulled over by the boys in blue?

Why not go and buy some BLACK Trim paint and spray the Pad? Just make sure that if you are going to take it off, BE careful? Have seen one of those blow off in a person's face :O
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
AUIIXR8_Tas

so, you'll get booked if you take your airbag off? is that what you are saying?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #6
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I don't know why you would want a different wheel anyway that doesn't have the airbag, just to look better, the Momo AU XR look's top's and is made in conjuction with the airbag so it's a win win sitution. I wouldn't disconnect the airbag.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
AUIIXR8_Tas

If I could find a genuine black MOMO ford wheel I'd be laughing. I don't like the blue or red ones. I like simple things.

Is this business about getting booked without your airbag true?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #8
I6corp
Was V6corp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIXR8_Tas
If I could find a genuine black MOMO ford wheel I'd be laughing. I don't like the blue or red ones. I like simple things.

Is this business about getting booked without your airbag true?

Hmm, i havent heard of that. Giving that in the manual, some models do not have them.
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
Old 12-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #9
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I would assume it would be true, you would even have big hassle's with insurance if you needed to make a claim.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #10
StevenAu2
Irregular Member

Imagine if you had fitted some aftermarket steer wheel without an airbag (which is illegal) and had a bad accident where you were at fault and your insurance company checks out your car and spots this!!!
You wouldnt be covered!!!
BTW i have seen the Momo wheels with the light grey insert that would match the series 1 interior.

Last edited by StevenAu2; 12-05-2006 at 08:34 PM.
StevenAu2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 09:14 PM   #11
I6corp
Was V6corp

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenAu2
Imagine if you had fitted some aftermarket steer wheel without an airbag (which is illegal) and had a bad accident where you were at fault and your insurance company checks out your car and spots this!!!
You wouldnt be covered!!!
BTW i have seen the Momo wheels with the light grey insert that would match the series 1 interior.

hmm i dnt think im going to get the non-air bag one anymore. :togo:
Old 12-05-2006, 09:17 PM   #12
LUXO_8
windsor user

its quite a decent fine for removing an airbag from a car that has one....

just get the momo wheel as per the ebay link, and get some black colour dye and spray it.
i did my airbag about 12 months ago and it hasnt worn off at all.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...8/AUwheel1.jpg

im about to try it on the actual leather on the steering wheel......
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #13
I6corp
Was V6corp

LINK

Here's a black air bag, if someones looking for one.

Old 13-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #14
tunna
joe dirt

Default wheel

Is that airbag off a el/ef ?
tunna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 11:25 AM   #15
LUXO_8
windsor user

yes its an EF/EL bag....
Old 13-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #16
AUIIXR8_Tas

I have all black SII XR interior. I want a black wheel.

I guess I could get the blue trim redone in black.. although the blue is meant to match the XR instro cluster..
Old 13-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #17
I6corp
Was V6corp

LOL sorry guys, on the ebay ad... it said AU. I didnt even look at it properly.

:(
Old 13-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #18
AUIIXR8_Tas

This one actually look snice with the red. First genuine MOMO I have seen with red trim.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Old 13-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #19
LUXO_8
windsor user

they had silver, red and blue, the silver ones i think you can still get from Mick Webb SVO, the red ones are quite hard to get these days as they were more popular...
Old 14-05-2006, 12:41 AM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
yes its an EF/EL bag....
It will fit an AU as well.

Quote:
they had silver, red and blue, the silver ones i think you can still get from Mick Webb SVO, the red ones are quite hard to get these days as they were more popular...
I used to have a black/red AU momo wheel - they are actually the most common Momo's for AU1. The blue etc really only came in with AU2.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 12:44 AM   #21
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
It will fit an AU as well.
i know it will fit an AU, (and au airbags fit EF/EL) but they thought it was an actual AU one.... i was just pointing out that it wasnt.....

by the way, the pic of that airbag looks just like my one, in that i reckon its actually a grey one which they've colour dyed.....

save yourself however many $$ theyre asking and spend 12 bucks on colourdye spray instead lol.....
Old 14-05-2006, 12:48 AM   #22
EFFalcon
Last warning

AU airbags have different wiring plugs etc to EF/EL. so its not a direct replacement.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #23
russky
Road Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf
Well, you HAVE to have an Air Bag fitted or it CAN NOT be registered and will get you a defect slip if you are pulled over by the boys in blue?

Why not go and buy some BLACK Trim paint and spray the Pad? Just make sure that if you are going to take it off, BE careful? Have seen one of those blow off in a person's face :O
lol... dont see the point of keeping the airbags on AU fords anyways. Mine dont work. And mechanics told me they dont work on most fords or holdens anyways....
russky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #24
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by russky
lol... dont see the point of keeping the airbags on AU fords anyways. Mine dont work. And mechanics told me they dont work on most fords or holdens anyways....
i bet you they do work.......

i hate it how people say "look at this accident, why didnt the bags go off.."

they only go off on a direct front on accident at a great enough speed that would cause you injury if they werent there to save your face from being mashed into the steering wheel or dash board.

rear colisions, side colisions (except where side airbags are fitted) roll overs etc etc etc the airbags WILL NOT go off.....thats how they're designed!
Old 14-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #25
HP Dude
Tickford Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIXR8_Tas
I was thinking about that but realised that my XR has the black middle bit. I'm thinking about ****ing the whole thing off (airbag included) and getting one of these bad boys (or something very similar):

I'll just have to do something with some cruise control buttons which i never use anyway.
That wheel looks very similar to the OEM MOMO wheel fitted to the Ferrari 360 Modena.

1969 Ford Fairmont XW
1999 AU I Falcon XR6HP
1999 AU I Falcon XR8 (sold)
2007 Mitsubishi Evolution IX
2009 Lotus Elise S
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 01:12 PM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:

I have the black/grey MOMO .... very subtle.

I was lucky to have the black interior already though ... so the wheel centre on mine is black (warm charcoal).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #27
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

For anyone interested, my Black/grey Momo should be up for sale by the end of this week. See new For sale post (link below) for details.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=726560#post726560]JCs Momo Wheel For sale??[/URL]
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 22-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #28
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
For anyone interested, my Black/grey Momo should be up for sale by the end of this week. See new For sale post (link below) for details.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=726560#post726560]JCs Momo Wheel For sale??[/URL]
What colour are you replacing it with JC? BTW, the one you're selling, is it the same as in the above pic. Your link didn't work.

PM me please with the price you're asking for it? Are they hard to fit, is it a job I could do myself?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 10:11 PM   #29
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

OK, here's the link.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=49798

Pic is here (as fitted to my wagon):

Price is $250 including delivery. Won't know for sure if I'm selling it until later in the week (friday-ish). But chances are it will be for sale.

Fitting is not hard, as long as you have the torx-plus (T-25 ot T-30??) bit to undo the airbag cover, and the T-50 (?) size Torx bit for the steering wheel.

Old 23-05-2006, 09:51 PM   #30
GK
Walking with God

The grey on yours is quite a bit lighter than that on Mechan1ks!

Different colour or different batch?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post