Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default New leads, plugs and bat.. whats best

I did a search through the forums for the best value for money plugs leads and bat.. but it was unconclusive for me...so:

What would be the best leads (valvue for money) to use for the falcon? TopGun? Prices?

What would be the best plugs to use on the falcon? NGK? Models and Prices?

What price can I expect to pay for a deep cycle gel battery? Brands? CCA?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
AUIIXR8_Tas

I recently got a set of NGK iridium plugs and some nice new Top Gun leads for my XR. The car was running like a pig and the improvement has been excellent.

I hounded the guy at my local Repco and got the leads for just under $150 and got the plugs for about $13.50 each.

My advice is to shop around as much as you can.
AUIIXR8_Tas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Standard 8mm top gun leads are around $60 per set.
Check out NGK.com.au to get fitment for your car - autobarn, supercheap etc all sell them.
Battery - try the battery factory in Fyshwick. My mate got one supplied and fitted from them for the same price I bought one from Kmart for (though mine was 550CCA, and his is 480)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
Free347

Good leads are worth their weight in gold - that said don't go looking for Ford genuine leads as you'll need a bag of gold they are such a rip-off. I would only use Magnecore or QIL in my car - a little over $200 for a V8, no idea what price for a 6cyl ('bout 3/4 the price?).

NGK will always serve you well... as AUIIXR8 Tas said, shop around for price. Irridiums can be found for as little as $12 each and there are std plugs (BP7EFS for the V8s) for about $4 or $5 each.

Batteries... I have absolutely no idea!
Free347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 10:00 PM   #5
iwannaford

I ended up getting mostly ford parts from our Dealer. Got a good price due to my work. NGK Iridiums, motocraft leads etc..

Batterywise, You dont need a deepcycle gel battery. Just an ordinary 440CCA. (dont forget CCA is rated at -18c, add about 150 to that rating) Exide, Century, Apollo, Besco, Bosch, it doesnt matter.. or even a Delkor/ACdelco Supercharge.. Expect to pay between 80 - 120 Bucks for a decent battery.
iwannaford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Next battery I will be looking at will be something along the lines of an Optima Yellow top battery (this is a gell cell and a deep cycle battery) to fit the Falcon battery bay.
It is costly ... but should last a lot longer than your normal battery ... have heard of a few go back due to a dud cell ... but a lot of batteries do this though ... looking around the $350-360 mark ... should last a minimum of 5 years ... compared to your standard run of the mill battery.

Leads .. i am running Queensland Ingition Leads Spiral Coil ... I think they are $75 for the I6.

Plugs ... currently running NGK Iridiums ... will be look at the factory XR6 Turbo models nexy as they are much cheaper for the same item.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #7
blueprinted_xr
FPV F6E FG XR8 UTE EL XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIXR8_Tas
I recently got a set of NGK iridium plugs and some nice new Top Gun leads for my XR. The car was running like a pig and the improvement has been excellent.

I hounded the guy at my local Repco and got the leads for just under $150 and got the plugs for about $13.50 each.

My advice is to shop around as much as you can.
ive herd onli good things about the top gun leads, a m8 from another club put thrm in his EB and they made a huge difference for the better
blueprinted_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 01:16 PM   #8
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Exactly how can leads and plugs make a difference... is it just idle?

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 30-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Exactly how can leads and plugs make a difference... is it just idle?
Idle, power, response. It all really depends on how bad your current ones are. NGK Plugs are the go and I use Eagle leads as they are the only ones I haven't been able to fry.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #10
xr8ute
Back on the road

I expect that new leads would only make a big difference if the originals are completely shagged and not working properly...

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #11
Futura01
horsepower

quick question would the bigger the leads eg. 10mm provide a better spark or would the do the same job as 8mm leads ...?????
Futura01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #12
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

I'm just gonna do a mjaor service, just so as I know where the servicing for the car is, as I got it second hand.

I'm looking at doing leads, plugs, gel bat, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, K&N air filter, wiper fluid (lol), diff oil, coolant flush, brake pads, maybe DBA slotted rotars and brake fluid maybe p/s fluid....

I would just like to do all of these in one hit so I can keep track of the service intervals from here on in....

Old 30-05-2006, 02:44 PM   #13
Free347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futura01
quick question would the bigger the leads eg. 10mm provide a better spark or would the do the same job as 8mm leads ...?????
If you buy good quality leads then the 8mm will be fine, 10mm offers no advantage.
Free347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 03:09 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free347
If you buy good quality leads then the 8mm will be fine, 10mm offers no advantage.
Agreed. I have the 10mm Top guns on mine - Paid $100+ for them, and there is NO difference. In fact, the occassional misfire I have is caused by the leads being fatter than the 8mm ones, and pulling slightly off the top of sparkplug #6. I am about to replace them with Top Gun 8mm leads on the weekend.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 09:06 PM   #15
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

just my 2 cents worth ..Personally i had better response on a straight gas setup years ago with 10mm leads , but on petrol 6 , 8mm have seemed to be fine imo .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post