Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
FgNewbie
Australia

Default Beware Optus when contract expires

I decided to give Optus mobile a try for 12 months, thankfully my contract is about to expire.

For the last 2 weeks I've been getting phone calls asking me to recontract.

I kept saying no. Today's attempt, the operator that called asked me to verify who I was to which I replied "I'm the person you called". When I quizzed her she provided my full name and day of birth. (I didn't give her any info).

After ending the call, I received an SMS and email confirming "recontract".

I immediately rang Opt@ss to report the contract was unauthorised. I provided the initial operator's ID; it reportedly doesn't exist.

Optus claimed the contract was processed online. After I disputed that, they then said it was completed by their department overseas. A couple of operators later, I was told they are unable to reverse the contract without investigation. They will get back to me within 5 days.

For the purposes of saying no to the contract, I agreed to being recorded. My advice... just hang up.

FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: Beware Optus when contract expires

Funny that , I'm with Telstra (by location, not choice) I kept getting calls from Optus as well. When explained I cannot use Optus even if I wanted to due to my location, my friend with the phoney American accent stopped ringing me. A week later my friend rings me again trying to get my ISP & home phone swapped to Optus. He then got the famous "Rhapsody in Blue" complete with the "F" word. He has not rung back since.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Beware Optus when contract expires

Telecommunications Ombudsmen if they dont reverse it after their "investigation"
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
FgNewbie
Australia

Thanks, I'll be suprised if I need the TIO. Maybe someone will be looking for a new job unless it's a common tactic.

Last year was the first time in 20ish years I've "contracted" to anything. Now I remember why.

edit: correction. I'm contracted to hosting for my website. That was a stuff up too.
Old 22-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that does`nt surprise me, we get people on the phone usually from an india call centre and dudes coming to the door trying to sell telco stuff, also some for other utility billing agencies, lemo,victoria energy, green energy,etc,etc some of them are pretty good and if you don`t ask they will let you think they are from the same company giving a cut price promotional deal, we get so many calls i`m thinking seriously about a silent number, as you have found some are very shifty, hopefully FG newbie your problem is resolved without hassles.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I get a missed call everyday from some psa mob wanting to talk about my telstra line and deals they can offer and they will try again.(their number not silent so I called back and got a recorded message). Funnily enough they are ringing me on my voip line which is certainly not with telstra lol.

Forgot to say. Call the tio, I had an issue with telstra, called tio and 3 days later it was resolved. I would guess optus will not only take forever to investigate, but they will send you bills. I would ring TIO either way as they have breached the law regardless.

Last edited by Spudz27; 22-07-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Outsourcers trying to get their quoters up.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27
I get a missed call everyday from some psa mob wanting to talk about my telstra line and deals they can offer and they will try again.(their number not silent so I called back and got a recorded message). Funnily enough they are ringing me on my voip line which is certainly not with telstra lol.
i got a missed call from optus and got msg saying are you happy with optus WTF,
Old 22-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats right bucknaked....... i just hang up on them, saying i just recontracted with xyz other company... LOL
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
FgNewbie
Australia

Fyi, the calling number has repeatedly been 03 9009 6650

I did a quick google, some claim it is actually Optus sales. Maybe at their other head office in Singapore?
Old 22-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
FgNewbie
Australia

If I want to waste time, is it worth whinging to the TIO or ACCC or ACMA for the sake of reporting their tactics?

I'm thinking if it is common and enough people report it, the relevant body may do something.
Old 22-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Calling TIO is not a waste of time. I was answered in less than 5mins, they recorded my issue, how I wanted it resolved etc. As I said 3 days later Telstra were apologising to me and rectified the problem. Signing you up without permission is illegal and there is huge fines from what I gather. I say report them.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had an issue with Optus. Quick phone call to the obudsman. Optus rang back about the issue within a few days. Not a waste of time. If you report a company to the ombudsman that company gets charged for the investigation
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #14
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I had an issue after Optus changed my billing address. Quick call to the TIO and they gave me a guys number in complaints. Two days later all sorted. Once you get a reference number they have to act on it, so it's worth the call to the TIO.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Definitely worth calling the TIO for sure.
Mechan1k is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #16
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For those of you that no longer want to receive phone calls from telemarketers: https://www.donotcall.gov.au/
Old 23-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
For those of you that no longer want to receive phone calls from telemarketers: https://www.donotcall.gov.au/
I wish ... still get calls from them ... even with a silent number and on that list.
The gov just sells the list on like everyone else.
Mechan1k is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #18
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're a customer of theirs, then they can call you, but just ask them not to otherwise you'll report them to the TIO. If you're not a customer of theirs: https://www.donotcall.gov.au/enquiries.cfm
There are some big fines for companies calling people on the do not call register.
As for the government selling the list, that's a load of bollocks. I've been on the list for about 3 years now and never receive any telemarketing calls.
Old 23-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #19
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had one Telemarketing call, told them I was on this register and they hung up on me...
Guess that ones a first.

On the original topic:
1. Keep a diary of everything, who you talk to, when, the number (if you can). If you mysteriously start getting bills you have all the facts organised
2. Contact TIO, it may have been resolved but it is evidence of the tactics being employed. If they get a few more 'reports' of this, then things will happen...nasty things.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #20
FgNewbie
Australia

Thanks for the input. I will contact TIO Monday.

When I contacted Optus, I believe (gut feeling) at some point I was transferred from Australia to the international call centre.

Guessing badly, the international mob may be doing the investigation then reporting back to Optus Aus before Optus Aus decide what they want to do.

If not for unrelated circumstances, I'd just close the account.
Old 25-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

As others have said give the TIO a call. All these complaints get correlated and released publicly (as there is a new article that tell you which company gets the most amount of complaints). Also the company pays for the TIO's time for the complaint made.

In saying that I've been with OPTUS for about 8 years and no real issues with them. I get calls from their telemarketing but no underhanded stuff. I also don't bother when they call as if I want something I'll call them.
Old 25-07-2011, 01:00 AM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Telco also cops a fine for every complaint the TIO receives about them.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 01:38 AM   #23
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
They will get back to me within 5 days.
So why not wait the five days and give them the opportunity to correct what some numnuts has done.
Old 25-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #24
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Fyi, the calling number has repeatedly been 03 9009 6650
over the past couple of weeks i've had a similar number ring me about 3 times. each time i've missed it but i did call it back one time and it went to a recorded message saying it was a marketing company and something to do with optus. can't remember exactly as i wasn't really listening.

the number was 03 9009 6602. very similar to the number you gave. most probably the same office.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #25
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

better to get the TIO involved they will just keep doing it if they don't get reported
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
So why not wait the five days and give them the opportunity to correct what some numnuts has done.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #26
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Because the persons involved don't deserve the courtesy of being treated with any respect. I see no reason to wait 5 days when I called and notified them immediately after receiving their notification of their action to recontract me. Their demeanour and need to investigate my claim was akin to calling me a liar minutes after the event. The subsequent conversations were contemptuous and a further waste of time.

I remind you I was reportedly given a dodgey non-existant operator ID. As such, a reasonable person may conclude their actions were deliberate whilst disregarding the law; it is certainly my personal opinion.

Today I received a call from Optus (somewhere overseas). The call woke me which wasn't a good start.

The caller reported they had listened to the recording and attempted to convince me that I had agreed to the recontract. I interrupted with a barrage of facts and took offence at the inference/insinuation/implication whatever that I was a liar. At no point did I say "I agree" nor words of similar meaning. I ended the barrage with reference to the TIO's involvement.

I also note the operator would not supply me with a copy of the recording nor play what was claimed to be acceptance of the recontract.

With a massive change of attitude, I was informed I could contact customer service to have the contract cancelled. The operator could neither cancel it nor transfer me.

I advised the operator that I had not entered into a contract thus had none to cancel nor was I wasting more time on the matter. The issue was theirs to deal with and should do so posthaste. End of story.

Deesun, I'm not flaming you. I'm just flaming tired and annoyed.
Old 27-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #27
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
took offence at the inference/insinuation/implication whatever that I was a liar.
Had the same problem with Vodafone when my phone got stolen.

Rang the fools as soon as I could and told them that the phone was stolen and if they could lock the phone which they did, but then sent out a bill with the charges the thief had made and when informed the phone was stolen and it should've been in their system got told that I was a liar and that I had made the calls.

They did reverse the charges but I had to fight for it. The next step was the TIO but luckily for them it never got to that stage.
Old 27-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #28
MAD
Petro-sexual

Sometimes they are even reluctant to respond to threats of the TIO.
I recently swapped from 3 to vodafone due to bad service in our new house, and after a month I got a bill from the both of them with phonecalls dated after the transfer. They kept trying to tell me that I had made the calls even though the sim was inactive from that date, eventually after 15 mins or so and many threats of the TIO they agreed to look in to it and call me back. Within 5 mins I had a call back, an apology and all charges wiped.

They get serious once the TIO is involved.
Old 27-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #29
FgNewbie
Australia

I'm willing to assume threatening with TIO is only as useful as the impact on the person at the other end of the phone.

When a company records a telephone conversation, are there any laws that require them to provide a copy on request?

I've done a quick google without success. thanks
Old 27-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #30
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I heard that TIO charge the telco 2k for every complaint made whether its resolved or not. But TIO recommend you settle a solution with them prior to making a formal complaint.

Hope you get some form of happiness FGNewbie.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont