Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Default Nokia Care - Useless!

I've had a Nokia N97 for about 18 months now. In the last 6 months or so, I've noticed it's gotten sensitive to how the charger was plugged in. The charger port is a mini USB port on the side of the phone, and I've had to push down on the charger plug to get it to connect to the phone. I thought the USB port might have a bad solder joint in it. The phone is out of the warranty period.

The end result is that the phone is hard to charge. A slight movement will disconnect the charge circuit, and the phone will stop charging.

After days of my phone running out of charge, I decided to take it to be fixed. So I went to the Nokia Care centre in Brisbane, and left it there, after being told they won't repair phones affected by impact or water damage. Nope! That's not happened to my phone! I was told they would email me when the phone was ready for pickup - 4 to 5 days I was told.

After 8 days, I phoned Nokia (no contact number for the repair centre) and they informed me they had tried to phone me 7 days ago, but couldn't get me. Then they informed me that my handset would be returned unrepaired, because of water damage!

Now, I'm ****ed off, because I know the handset hasn't been wet. They said the corrosion is near the camera module, and they emailed me pics this arvo, but this is nowhere near the USB port.

So I go in to pick up the handset, I asked why they didn't explore the broken USB port problem, rather than look for water damage in an unrelated area of the phone, and they told me they couldn't fix it, as they couldn't maintain the manufacturer's warranty. I told them it was out of warranty, and I just wanted the problem fixed, but they weren't interested.

It shites me that I was willing to pay to get my phone fixed, but the techs seemed more willing to find some macroscopic corrosion to void my needs, and a reason not to repair the problem I had. I bought the phone over a 24 month contract, which has about 6 months left to go, so I'm feeling a bit bitter about it... a top end Nokia should last for years! I've been using my old N73 as a backup while I've been without the N97.

I've searched the internet since, and see that Nokia phones less than 24 hours old have been rejected because of water damage. Water damage can happen from speaking into a phone in a high humidity area!

I've gone off Nokia as of today... and I've had them since my first analogue mobile phone. I know I'm not going to make a difference, but I'd like to share my crappy feelings for their company!

On the side, I tried to reassemble the phone/battery/sim before I left, and found the Techs had bent a metal tab outwards, making it impossible to insert the batter. The counterman offered to take it to the techs to look at, but I told him that his techs had shown they can't fix phones, so I'll fix it myself (Done!)

I'd hate to be a Nokia Care front man....!

Now I've got a 800 buck phone, which is almost impossible to charge.

and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

contact ICU mobile phone repairs at charlestown newcastle ( I know you are in QLD ) talk to them you might be able to post it to them and they do good work their number is 02 49421499

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 03:49 AM   #3
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny
I bought the phone over a 24 month contract, which has about 6 months left to go, so I'm feeling a bit bitter about it... a top end Nokia should last for years!
It is illegal to sell a phone with a contract period that exceeds the phones warranty period. The phone must be fit for the purpose, and the 2 yr period is part of the fitness. They could claim it is not covered due to water damage anyway, but Im fairly certain a touch of corrosion is not enough to show water damage. There is, or at least used to be, a coloured strip that would run if actual water damage occurred. As you said, high humidity areas could also create some corrosion. TV's in humid areas, or beach front property get corrosion, I highly doubt theyve been dropped in the dunny.

Even though they sell it as a 12 month warranty, that doesnt sign away your rights. There are implied warranties. The period of that implied warranty is in part, determined by the contract length. The warranty can be longer, but not shorter.

People dont know this, but if you pay a bit extra for a Russel Hobbs toaster instead of the <$20 Tiffany at Big WQ, the 12 month warranty on the RH is not real, its more likely to be held to be 2 yrs. Obviously you need to act on it, but court is not the only way. Theres the Dept of Fair Trading or equiv in your state as a first port of call.

For your phone issue, Id call the TIO (Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman), might not go anywhere, but they are pretty good if you have a leg to stand on.

Last edited by fmc351; 04-03-2011 at 03:56 AM.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

i haven't had any problems with Nokia care as of yet, but next time id just take to Phone repair places instead , plus you would get it fixed in half the time.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

FMC351, I see that these rules took effect in January 2011, I'll have to see if I can convince the provider to honour that, even though the phone was bought prior to these regulations.

I'm sure I'll be able to find a decent repairer somewhere in Brisbane, if I have no luck talking to India about warranties.
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
Old 04-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
FMC351, I see that these rules took effect in January 2011, I'll have to see if I can convince the provider to honour that, even though the phone was bought prior to these regulations.

I'm sure I'll be able to find a decent repairer somewhere in Brisbane, if I have no luck talking to India about warranties.
Nah not exactly, the new laws pretty much make clear what the old laws said anyway in regard to phones, that and making it simpler with a few extensions, and a renaming o the old act. Youve always had protections built in by the TPA (and additionally the Sale of Goods act in each state), and one of them is that warranty must not be shorter than attached contracts, thats always been true.

Your carrier is responsible for it, not Nokia. They sold the Nokia, with an attached 24 month contract. Therefore it must carry a 24 month warranty. Your carrier can take it up with Nokia if they want, but you dont have too. You take it up with the carrier.

Just ring the TIO and see what they have to say. Its worth a phone call.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Nah not exactly, the new laws pretty much make clear what the old laws said anyway in regard to phones, that and making it simpler with a few extensions, and a renaming o the old act. Youve always had protections built in by the TPA (and additionally the Sale of Goods act in each state), and one of them is that warranty must not be shorter than attached contracts, thats always been true.

Your carrier is responsible for it, not Nokia. They sold the Nokia, with an attached 24 month contract. Therefore it must carry a 24 month warranty. Your carrier can take it up with Nokia if they want, but you dont have too. You take it up with the carrier.

Just ring the TIO and see what they have to say. Its worth a phone call.
This is news to me. Thanks for the info. I was wondering why Voda / 3 were all of a sudden offering a 2 year warranty on all phones on 2 year plans.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

After talking to India, I'll be taking the phone into 3 at Milton. I'll look up the legislation before I go in, so I'll be prepared. Thanks, FMC!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
After talking to India, I'll be taking the phone into 3 at Milton. I'll look up the legislation before I go in, so I'll be prepared. Thanks, FMC!
Just remember this, if you get no joy, let them know you are not in a position to argue the point, but wont simply take their word for it, and will be checking with the TIO to make sure youre getting good information. And thank them for the help, they arent responsible for the crap they have to say, they just front the counters.

The TIO is your friend.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

That sounds like good advice. I won't be shooting the messenger!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #11
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Wow this is an interesting read! And a situation I'm faced with everyday!

I am the messenger in this situation, though for Telstra.

I'm interested fmc351 where you got the information that it's illegal to sell a handset on a 24mth contract and only offer 12mths warranty? I've looked through my Telstra resources which changed due to the new laws and it does mention about a statutory warranty that applies after the voluntary manufacturers for devices that are marketed as a premium product and therefor should be of better quality than the cheaper handsets (I think this is what you were explaining with your toaster reference). Curious as we still only offer 12mth warranties on Apple, Sony, Nokia & Samsung because its the manufacturers that stipulate the warranty. HTC, ZTE, BlackBerry, Motorola & LG now offer 24mth warranties....I'm actually genuinely interested.

Swanny,

I don't know you're chances in getting the handset repaired if they have found water damage in the handset. It's a tough one but water damage as you know automatically voids your warranty as they cannot guarantee the future reliability of any repairs they carry out because they offer a warranty on their repairs and water damage corrosion is like cancer to a phone and spreads in a way until the phone is useless...and this still applies when doing repairs out of warranty as they have to provide the repair warranty
But if it is like you say on opposite ends of the phone (the USB port and the camera) then I'd like to see manufacturers kind of go -
"Ok so yes your charging port is broken, however you have water damage over here. We can see that its unrelated so we'll fix this but know that we guarantee the repair to the USB port only"
I can't see it ever happening....
BTW if its out of warranty - I'm not sure what 3 are able to do for you if you go into the shop? They may let you upgrade early if you don't tell them about the water damage I guess?

Wow long post....sorry!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #12
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Fowlerj, I can see what you're getting at, from the other side. I'd have been happy to take the phone to someone, tell them what I'd like done, and have it done.

It's almost like taking your car to the mechanic to have new tyres fitted, but they refuse to fit the tyres because there is corrosion on the water pump.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nokia Care? No not really
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #14
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

If it helps, Nokia Care is in the Spring Hill Marketplace off Turbot Street. Maybe ask for an explanation in person.

However, if there is corrosion, then yeah, it's been wet.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #15
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Peuty, the Spring Hill address is the one I dealt with who refused to fix it. Here's a pic they sent me of the water damage....

Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #16
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlerj
Wow this is an interesting read! And a situation I'm faced with everyday!

I am the messenger in this situation, though for Telstra.

I'm interested fmc351 where you got the information that it's illegal to sell a handset on a 24mth contract and only offer 12mths warranty? I've looked through my Telstra resources which changed due to the new laws and it does mention about a statutory warranty that applies after the voluntary manufacturers for devices that are marketed as a premium product and therefor should be of better quality than the cheaper handsets (I think this is what you were explaining with your toaster reference). Curious as we still only offer 12mth warranties on Apple, Sony, Nokia & Samsung because its the manufacturers that stipulate the warranty. HTC, ZTE, BlackBerry, Motorola & LG now offer 24mth warranties....I'm actually genuinely interested.
It possibly wont be something in your Telstra stuff. First, this stuff Im first quoting is new, so its actual effects (or its actual meaning) still need to be argued in court, however much of it will be based on existing interpretations based on the TPA.

Quote:
How long do my rights last?

Your consumer rights are not limited to a set time period. Instead, they apply for the amount of time that is reasonable to expect given the cost and quality of the item.

It may be reasonable to expect that a phone supplied on a two-year contract should remain free of defects for that period.
Id argue, if Nokia offer a 12 month warranty, then Telstra must offer a 12 month contract or a better phone. Or wear the costs if the item fails between 12 and 24 months. If Telstra are happy to accept Nokias terms, and offer them anyway, they must bear responsibility for that.

So back to pre 2011, in regard to LG mobiles phones for example
Quote:
ACCC obtains consent orders against LG Electronics over mobile telephones for warranty misrepresentations

The Trade Practices Act 1974, and relevant state-based fair trading laws, imply certain conditions and warranties into all consumer contracts. These include, for example, conditions that goods are of merchantable quality and are fit for the particular purpose(s) made known to the supplier. Such conditions and warranties cannot be excluded, restricted or modified and are in addition to any voluntary warranty that may be provided by the supplier.

"The ACCC will not hesitate to take action against businesses which mislead consumers about their statutory rights", ACCC Chairman, Mr Graeme Samuel, said. "Consumers can be tricked into thinking that they can't have a faulty item replaced, or get a refund, because the manufacturer's express warranty period has expired, when that may not be so".
In the above case, from what I can tell (havnet read the actual case), LG had included in its paper work, and public information restrictive warranty implications, that seemed to deny the existence of the implied warranties that exist despite their attempts to deny them. Im not sure if youve ever read many warranties, but they usually have a line similar to, 'not excluding any relevant rights granted by the various state laws yadda yadda blah blah. Im assuming they did not include that.

The point is, it is recognition, that an implied warranty has always existed in regard to mobile phones, despite both manufacturers and network providers trying to pull the wool over the consumers eyes.

It has always existed, and I would highly doubt that an $800 phone doesnt qualify. (I have no idea how much they are worth, just taking the OP at his word on that).

As I said, for the finer points on it, Id be contacting the TIO. Its free for the OP, and they are pretty damn good at what they do.

Last edited by fmc351; 05-03-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #17
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate Nokia are absoloutly useless.

Made the mistake of buying an N8, flawed phone, terrible for a start. First one had a huge battery fault, sent it back to them twice before they confirmed it was dead, then i got another one. This one froze every couple of minutes, so i have been given a 3rd, which is very buggy but ill have to make do. (This all took months)

Trying to call there support is an absolute nightmare, as they take you through simple fix procedures which do not work. And then to actually make the effort to go to the care center (theres only one in melbourne) and have arrogant staff treating you like you havent got a clue. Just tops it off.

Ever since ive started using mobiles i have always been a nokia fan, never owned anything else. But there customer service is a disgrace, and software/hardware has much to be desired, you dont want to fork out lots of cash for half baked crap.

I hate apple but my next phone might have to be one of those, or perhaps an andriod (OS). Still i think most phone companies "CARE" will be similar in its sub-standard service.

/End Rant.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #18
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had a nokia N97 since july 2009, got it a week after it came out in Aus. Now when the phone was around 10 months old, it stopped charging, I took it back and they sent me a new phone. I ended up taking the phone back another 4 times because of the same issue. Each time they sent me a new phone. It was not my charger, because i bought 2 new chargers and tried a friends for each phone. So I currently have the 5th N97 and it is ok now apart from when being charged and it gets knocked it stops charging. ARGHHHHHH. When I took it back to the shop, the Optus guy said that these phones were bad and they stopped making them after a few months and replaced them with the N97 mini. So I feel your pain.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #19
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman
I hate apple but my next phone might have to be one of those,
/End Rant.
be aware with the iphone the battery can't be changed by the user so in 18 months when the battery starts losing capacity you have to send the phone away for a new one for $$$$$$$$$$$$$

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 05-03-2011, 02:51 AM   #20
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
I have had a nokia N97 since july 2009, got it a week after it came out in Aus. Now when the phone was around 10 months old, it stopped charging, I took it back and they sent me a new phone. I ended up taking the phone back another 4 times because of the same issue. Each time they sent me a new phone. It was not my charger, because i bought 2 new chargers and tried a friends for each phone. So I currently have the 5th N97 and it is ok now apart from when being charged and it gets knocked it stops charging. ARGHHHHHH. When I took it back to the shop, the Optus guy said that these phones were bad and they stopped making them after a few months and replaced them with the N97 mini. So I feel your pain.

Also the crappiest phone ever made. Got my mrs one thinking it would be a nice phone, damn thing is a weight that recieves calls. If you even hint at storing a photo, changing a ringtone or keeping a txt message it cries and freezes, or gives error messages. I have an iphone 3GS still under warranty, battery is not lasting as long, hoping I can score an iphone 4.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #21
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once Nokia start making the transition to Windows Phone 7 it should get better. There's no doubting that their hardware has always been sturdy and fairly nice looking, just the Symbian software is so dated and buggy it's surprising they have been going on with developing it for so long even though so many superior competitors have come to the market.

'tis why I own a Meizu M9
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #22
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
be aware with the iphone the battery can't be changed by the user so in 18 months when the battery starts losing capacity you have to send the phone away for a new one for $$$$$$$$$$$$$
I have insurance on my phone for the full length of my contract. So if the battery dies, it gets fixed.

My iPhone I've had for 18 months now. Never had a single problem. We have 2 iPhones and both have been perfect.

Doesn't matter the brand or make. Everything has an issues. Cars, phones, computer, anything, it's the quality of after sales service that's important. Anything can be be fixed or replaced.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #23
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Never even think of buying a Sony Ericsson. 2 phones later, will never buy again!
I only bought the phone for it's features. The external speaker sucked really bad.
Any use of trying to talk with it, is useless. Voice is always muffled and major distortion is apparent.

And the worst thing I did was buy off a main carrier that put their own OEM software on it. All it did was bog down the phone.

I'm looking at the iPhone, simply because "that" carrier can't touch it. I mean they can add apps, but not touch the core of the software.
Wife has an iPhone 4, seems good so far.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #24
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'ts still madness that the battery can't be changed. I like to have a 2nd battery on charge that I can change it in a hurry if I need to but apple like to control you. They won't let you install 3rd party apps, they won't let you change the battery . I won't buy anything of a company that wants to control you so much. imagine your car was in perfect condition but needs a service or minor repair but the bonnet is sealed so that it can only be accessed by ford without damaging the car or voiding the warranty would you be upset? would you buy the car with such restrictions? I know I wouldn't
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I have insurance on my phone for the full length of my contract. So if the battery dies, it gets fixed.

My iPhone I've had for 18 months now. Never had a single problem. We have 2 iPhones and both have been perfect.

Doesn't matter the brand or make. Everything has an issues. Cars, phones, computer, anything, it's the quality of after sales service that's important. Anything can be be fixed or replaced.

Rides:

Old 05-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #25
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they have been extremely good to my mrs, she had a n97, she took it back due to it always freezing, 1 week later a new nokia n98 turns up
Old 05-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #26
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

I guess it has to be hard for the telco's as in reality they are a service provider not a manufacturer....and as such will not want to provide additional free voluntary warranty after the manufacturers voluntary warranty has expired. Purely because as I imagine, the service provider has to trust that the manufacturer is producing a quality product that will last as long as it should (based on price) and not break down 6 months out of manufacturer warranty and 18months into the service providers contract. Then of course if the service provider must provide that extra warranty to guarantee that handset for the life of the contract they must wear any costs in between that 12th to 24th month - its understandable to me why they don't do it without charging extra for ext warranty or only doing it with the manufacturers on board. I'm not agreeing thats its fair to the customer though.

In terms of Sony's and Nokia's - they've fallen to pieces over the last couple of years. Nokia 6720 and the Sony W508 are just in a class of their own though - unbelievably unreliable. I had a customer onto her 5th 6720 in 3 weeks because they all failed within 24-48hrs.

Apple don't repair any handsets you send to them - they send back a replacement so thats why replacing a battery is so costly with Apple because they're replacing the whole thing! Much cheaper (only if you're out of warranty) to go to a little aftermarket repair centre.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #27
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
I'ts still madness that the battery can't be changed. I like to have a 2nd battery on charge that I can change it in a hurry if I need to but apple like to control you. They won't let you install 3rd party apps, they won't let you change the battery . I won't buy anything of a company that wants to control you so much. imagine your car was in perfect condition but needs a service or minor repair but the bonnet is sealed so that it can only be accessed by ford without damaging the car or voiding the warranty would you be upset? would you buy the car with such restrictions? I know I wouldn't
I agree. In regards to the 2nd battery problem. I have seen a device that you plug into the phone charger input that is a booster / charger. I think it has 2 AAA / AA batteries in it.

Not an ideal solution, as you then have to make sure this battery doesn't fall out while you are on the phone but an option none the less. They are also reasonably cheap and can be used with several phones (just need to change the connection).
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #28
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Nokias default when avoiding repair is always water damage.

And they wonder why no one is buying nokias anymore
Old 05-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #29
mrfordfairmont
351 clevo

i had the same problems with nokia phones and nokia care so i went iphone and have not looked back but i do have a cheap nokia ($39) as a back up

2004 territory ghia
click here for pics
work daily ke laser ghia RIP
click here for pics
Daily EF II fairmont wagon RIP
click here for pics
XD 351 clevo lowered
click here for pics

thanks to
p.e.a.c.h performance at stafford
http://www.peachperformance.com
mrfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #30
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Be interesting if your camera isthe one in the picture with the water damage.... Who's to say it isn't just a picture of someone elses phone? Well how would you know unless you took apart the phone to see for yourself! But who does that as you would void all warranties