Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: How important is your health and your families health?
I'm concerned, bring in tougher Diesel emission laws 51 22.37%
I'm concerned but not worried, bring on the Diesels! 44 19.30%
Don't care, more Diesel vehicles please. 68 29.82%
Diesel is for trucks only! 43 18.86%
Give me electric 11 4.82%
When's Nuclear coming? 47 20.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default The truth about diesel

I've said this before, diesel is more dangerous to our health than petrol. I'm beginning to hate diesel fuel, especially when driving behind a vehicle that uses it; that incluses new ones. I followed a Touareg and watched it blow a puff of black smoke every time it took off from the lights.

How important is your health and your families health?

Quote:
The truth about diesel
Richard Blackburn, The Sydney Morning Herald, 01/06/07

Diesel produces fewer greenhouse gases than unleaded petrol but it is more dangerous to our health. RICHARD BLACKBURN reports on an automotive dilemma.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk

Last edited by russellw; 06-09-2007 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Post of the entire article breaches copyright.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not only are they stinky and generaly slow, but also bad for you! never liked diesels

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
KingLemmywinks
Banned

hi. rudolf deisel killed himself so it cant be to good
KingLemmywinks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I still think Ford should throw the money into making a e-gas terri, then developing a diesel terri as you pay close to 20c extra in tax than petrol so there really isn't a cost saving. The terri would be better for customers that need all this extra torque. They now have the tooling (for Orion) to redesign the SUV and build it differently to the normal terri.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Until every car in the country is running hydrogen (which has nothing but water coming out the exhaust) your causing health problems.

LPG is as close as we have to a genuine zero toxin fuel, everyone else is kidding themselves.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
mrnsx
Crash test pilot

problems can be found on anything if u look hard enough.

I say a clean diesel engine that is well maintained is much better than petrol engines.

Newest Addition

Holden Barina 2004
6L per 100k :
66kw :

Old Collection..

Falcon BA
Toyota Celica
Kawasaki zxr
Ford Festiva
Nissan 180sx
Daihatsu Feroza
mrnsx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnsx
problems can be found on anything if u look hard enough.

I say a clean diesel engine that is well maintained is much better than petrol engines.
First part, I agree with.

The second is wrong. That is what the article is about, even the new 'so called clean' diesel engines produce dangerous emissions. "Diesel produces fewer greenhouse gases than unleaded petrol but it is more dangerous to our health."

Old 06-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
I've said this before, diesel is more dangerous to our health than petrol. I'm beginning to hate diesel fuel, especially when driving behind a vehicle that uses it; that incluses new ones. I followed a Touareg and watched it blow a puff of black smoke every time it took off from the lights.

How important is your health and your families health?
Made a mistake, it was an Audi Q7 that was blowing out the black stuff :

Old 06-06-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Yeah i respect diesels in that yeah they cause less green house gas, but diesel fumes dont agree with me personally one bit.

Even when i get stuck behind the latest Diesel Landscruisers, BMW X5's, Toureg whatever, i still end up with switching the A/C to Recycle, or i end up coughing and splurting. I must admit trucks and the like have got a lot better with the new diesel brew, but i still feel particles in my eyes and cough and spurt-yeah diesel fumes really dont agree with my system.

I think diesel should continue to brought into line with other emissions, becuase hell we should, because if we can better particle filters,(better then EURO 3), etc, diesel could be a real saver with lesser greenhouse emissions and blenty of grunty torque.

Maybe ive been spoilt with LPG though, you can stand behind the most clapped out ex-taxi POS and still feel (maybe have a bit of a smell ) absolutely fine and not like you are going to choke to death on smoke.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #10
WayneHadfield

Half the schit in petrol wouldn't be there if the idiots hadn't removed the lead (which wasn't harmful once it was combusted) in the first place, making it even cleaner than diesel.....but the uninformed preferred to poison us so the lead came out.
WayneHadfield is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #11
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally, would never buy a diesel vehicle unless I have to tow something everyday.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #12
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We'll all be back on the 'hay burners' before you know it! 'methane anybody??
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #13
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneHadfield
Half the schit in petrol wouldn't be there if the idiots hadn't removed the lead (which wasn't harmful once it was combusted) in the first place, making it even cleaner than diesel.....but the uninformed preferred to poison us so the lead came out.
"harm" from the lead in Petrol wasn't the reason to remove it. The main reason was that the lead in the petrol was incompatible with the catalyst used in the catalytic converter (which was there to further reduce NOx emissions). IIRC they initially proposed a different catalyst but there wasn't enough of it around in the earth.
They played up the removal of lead as a health benefit but it was really a secondary effect - beneficial to remove it but not the primary aim.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #14
herbs

Gee have a cry, I'll be thinking of you when you're behind my landcruiser at the lights. :
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #15
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbs
Gee have a cry, I'll be thinking of you when you're behind my landcruiser at the lights. :
Cheers, I'll wave as I overtake your brick :

Old 06-06-2007, 06:37 PM   #16
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Diesel; more efficient, LESS STINKY!!! (unleaded makes me almost puke!) and AMG makes diesel convertibles which are incredibaly fast! Who says diesel sucks!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #17
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6
Who says diesel sucks!
Certainly not me as I drive one! A new(ish) Peugeot 307 2.0L Turbo Diesel. It comes standard with a particulate filter and doesn't blow out any black smoke. As a matter of fact, I could run my finger along the inside of the exhaust pipe and it would come out clean! Know of any petrol cars where you can do that? You can stand behind the car and it doesn't even smell of diesel at all.
I had a look at the web site for the green house emissions for cars, and it doesn't have my model of 307 on there, so I can't compare it to other cars. It seems that the models are out of date at least a year on Peugeot's.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #18
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as if any one of those is gonna be better for you

bring on a diesel powered falcon, dont like diesel get the petrol or LPG models.....everyone wins.....dont like diesel smell, put your ac on circulate
dont like pollutiing the earth, plant a tree

nuclear.....well NO THANKYOU, we'd kill ourselves before any nuclear warfare even began....at the rate of dumb drivers crashing, this would NEVER happen

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #19
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Couldn’t be ******** reading all that but

Oh Diesel is bad, yeah well petrol isn’t ********* that good for ya either

Lock your self in a garage with a diesel engine running> you will spew before you die, now do the same with a petrol engine just don’t make any plans for the rest of you life cause you will be dead.

What do you think, hall's cargo and supplies all over the world, runs the mining industry, trucking and shipping industry and generates back up power, F*king diesels cause they do it better and more efficiently than Petrol engines.

Used in underground mining they have many befits one of which is blowing up the mine is greatly reduced, which i feel is a good thing.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #20
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Couldn’t be ******** reading all that but

Oh Diesel is bad, yeah well petrol isn’t ********* that good for ya either

Lock your self in a garage with a diesel engine running> you will spew before you die, now do the same with a petrol engine just don’t make any plans for the rest of you life cause you will be dead.

What do you think, hall's cargo and supplies all over the world, runs the mining industry, trucking and shipping industry and generates back up power, F*king diesels cause they do it better and more efficiently than Petrol engines.

Used in underground mining they have many befits one of which is blowing up the mine is greatly reduced, which i feel is a good thing.

Ever so true GreenX , diesel is alot more efficent but lpg can be just as efficent and cleaner again dunno about big mining generators underground running on it but we have a huge supply of it here so maybe theyll get equipment and some machinery to run on it could cut costs.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:27 PM   #21
XR8Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
Until every car in the country is running hydrogen (which has nothing but water coming out the exhaust) your causing health problems.

LPG is as close as we have to a genuine zero toxin fuel, everyone else is kidding themselves.
It will be a long long long time before everyone has a hydrogen car, petrol cars will probably still be here in 30-50 years
XR8Master is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #22
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
Actually finding a way to run on car hydrogen, like you would a normal engine. Has found that it releases CO2. But not like current motors.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #23
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 08:45 PM   #24
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone that still views diesels as dirty rattling old chuggers, really needs to get out and drive te new gen diesels.

A mates mum's new 2.0 TDI golf gets over 1000km every tank on just on 50L of diesel. Also mentioned one the other day he had been in that's been tuned, runs about 4.4L per 100km on the freeway, and will embarrass and falcon or commodore at the lights. Clean as a whistle, and torque that will blow away any negative thoughts on performance.

Is a golf can do 4.4L per 100km on diesel, and in a V8 petrol 100 series i think we averaged about 18L per 100km on the highway going to Winton, what's worse for your health at the end of the day? 44L per 1000km in the golf, or 180L of ULP in the cruiser.

I feel that the fuel efficient clean diesels should be encouraged, but more emphasis needs to be put on campaigning to ensure that all new diesels sold are fitted with the particulate filter.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #25
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Driven a TD with a 5spd auto? Think you'd be suprised how much trouble you'd have leaving it behind. And when the new TT V8 Diesel is out in the new wagons, it'll chew your terri up and spit it out.

I towed 2000km round trip in the TD 100, 1000km up to sydney on 128L of diesel towing an empty tandem car trailer, filled up 10km down the road afteri picked the car up, used 122L on the return trip driving at 110 instead of 120 on the way up with an xr6 sedan on the trailer, about 2400kg. My mates 04 terri struggled to get that kind of economy on the highway without even thinking about towing.

Horses for courses though, landcruiser was about 73k on the road, terri will leave you with a decent wad of leftover cash, but you'd need it to keep up with the repairs d out in the bush!

We had a terri come 4 wheel driving with us, very sedate day because we had the terri and an x trail, and still managed to to do 6k worth of damage to the terri. X trail went home wihout a scratch. Ha.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 09:18 PM   #26
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Completely agree with schmitdy...new gen diesels are just as rapid as their petrol counterparts...if a Diesel Falcon was available, I'd seriously consider it...also would go the TD Terry....

And who can argue with the fuel consumption that ***** all over petrol...it's still as popular as petrol over in the UK...that's one thing that amazed me when I arrived over in Australia, the very few diesels driving around...?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #27
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've said this before (and I will say it again) don't blame the diesel engine, blame the diesel fuel. The diesel engine is not restricted to run on the crap the oil companies offer us at the pump.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 11:35 PM   #28
Cracka20

Quote:
The Cruiser WILL catch you at every speed hump! :
Cracka20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 11:42 PM   #29
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by exrtnz
Ever so true GreenX , diesel is alot more efficent but lpg can be just as efficent and cleaner again dunno about big mining generators underground running on it but we have a huge supply of it here so maybe theyll get equipment and some machinery to run on it could cut costs.
Joint Diesel/LPG is a option that is used around the place, more power close to 20% from memory and even better fuel economy is achieved, A small amount of LPG is bled in to the air charge as it is drawn into the cylinder, and the LPG can be switched on and off as you wish.

For the record i have 2 petrol cars well a car and 4WD but i also recognise a diesel engines benefits in different arias and what it has done for us.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 12:50 AM   #30
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Diesels are expensive to run. Ever tried to gap the spark plugs on a diesel?
We need diesels here more than ever but before we can do that we need to get rid of a lot of the crap that the refiners leave in it. Getting rid of sulphur for one will work miracles. When they reduced the sulphur to less than 500ppm a lot of older diesels blew pump seals etc; they should have removed all the sulphur then although the technology may not have enabled it.
I guess one problem is the cost. When you leave diesel in the distillation column for longer it adds to the cost.
Look at marine diesel, whenever shipping companies buy it they need thousands of litres and therefore it is fairly unrefined to cut costs.
No easy answer.

Quote: