Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Default Extended Warranty ?

Hello All, my mum has a 07 Focus and is wondering if an extended warranty is worth while. Today I rang my dealer and got some info. My understanding is there are two types of warranty suited for her car.
1. myFord factory approved warranty. This provides cover from 3 - 4 years ranging from $ 1115 to $1425. This extended warranty is backed by Allianz Insurance.

2. myFord Extended New Vehicle Warranty. This provides cover for 3 years only and ranges from $1370 to $1630. This is more expensive but its through Ford and not another insurer.

Is it worth spending more to be backed by Ford or spend less to have backing by Allianz?

I was told that both warranty's are the same cover as a brand new vehicle. Is this true?

Any thoughts would be apperciated

G6ET 2010 Seduce. Tax return = GTX upgrade DONE
Bridgette01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
entheos

One of the warranties covers exactly what the manufacturer's warranty does, the other one covers MOST of the manufacturer's warranty. I'll be back in at work tomorrow morning and can get the full info if you want about what is what. Basically the one that covers the same is the same as the manufacturer's warranty, the other excludes some items and often has a limit on the amount they will pay out per 'failure'. Also they are both available as a time only extension, or time and KMS...i.e. you can leave the kms warranty expiry at 100,000kms if you don't feel you will reach that kms, but extend by 1, 2 or 3 years, alternatively you can extended both KMS and time...so extend the warranty to 200,000kms as well as an additional 1, 2 or 3 years. I'll get you some more info tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Excellent feedback. 1 Rep point for you.

She has 26000 on the clock, not much for 3 years

Old 12-01-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Interesting, my dealer said they both are the same as new car warranty. Hmmmmm

Old 12-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
entheos

Ok, I have both of the PDS brochures relating to the warranties here. There's a LOT of info to type...if you PM me your address I'll post them to you express post. or email me at mgroom@sinclairford.com.au and i'll get them out to you. There's no limit of the repairs of either warranty provided it's covered but there are a bunch of extra exclusions in the 'Factory Approved' warranty. And BOTH can be extended time only or time and kms....but it sounds like your mum would only need to extend it time wise. IMO I think they are worth the money. I had a massive engine failure in my extended warranty period of my falcon and got a MAJORITY of the $4500 repair bill covered...I had a different warranty. There are conditions that it MUST be serviced by Ford and all that usual stuff, but it's not dealer based, so if you move in 12 months to a different state your warranty goes with you...not left at the dealer that you buy it from.

As I said...PM or email me your postal address (po box is fine as well) and I'll express post the PDS booklets out with all the info.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Smile

Thanks for your imput. You say the Factory Approved has a bunch of exclusions. I can see why as it cheaper then the Extended new vehicle warranty.

Top advice, I will pass this on to my mum as today is the last day of her warranty. Well done entheos

Old 12-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
entheos

Ahh..kk...in that case you'll need to act today...lol...see if you can get a copy of the PDS from the dealer...the factory approved on has an orange falcon on the front the extended new vehicle warranty has a blue territory...MOST things are still covered in the factory approved on, but things like exhaust, light globes, interior trims, seats, paint, seals, anything glass related, some oil related problems, are not covered. PLUS, there is a $100 'excess' towards the repair each time their is a failure...whereas the Extended New Vehicle warranty is the SAME as the warranty which will expire today..other than it MUST be serviced by ford for the warranty to stand in teh extended warranty period.

Cheers
Old 12-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
entheos

Also, those interested, I just found the PDS booklets on the Ford website....who would've thought...lol

myFord Extended New Vehicle Warranty

myFord Factory Approved Warranty

Both have a click 'here' option to download and open the PDS for both Warranties.

They also are both backed by Ford and not a 3rd party. The 3rd party ones are usually Dealer specific, i.e. if you buy it at Sinclair you must have the car serviced at Sinclair for it to stand, and servicing at another Ford Dealer voids the warranty, whereas the myFord Warranties are Ford Aus only...so you can go to ANY Ford Dealer for your servicing, irrespective of where you bought the warranty from.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Wow, its not as straight forward as thought initially. Better grab a couple of beers and read through the two documents. Well done entheos on providing the link to these documents

Old 14-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
SpasticBus
Indifferent

Thanks for the info. Going to think it over over the next few months. The factory warranty on my '08 focus tdci is expiring in June
SpasticBus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Don't know how relevant this is for you,
but I chose to buy a warranty package for my 06 LS.
So far the things that have broken are
-the bonnet release lock on the front - not covered under warranty - $250.
-Reverse light sensor in gearbox - not covered under warranty - $300.

These two things alone meant that I could have not bought the warranty and been able to use the cash to fix them straight out. The gearbox sensor is the one that frustrates me the most - it's a pressure sender, but they seem to be allowed to call it a "switch", and therefore the warranty excludes this.
Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post