Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
pommyjames

Default best place to advertise car?

Just wondering where people are having success selling their cars? the local paper? ebay? carsales etc? any suggestions because im finding the market very ssssssssllllllooooooowwwwww at the minute!

pommyjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #2
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Me too! Had lots of success with carsales and trading post together, but nothing this time! Tried ebay, fell a grand short of my reserve.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have found advertising on pin up boards at TAFE's, hospitals, deli's, bowling ally's etc have worked well for me in the past.
just do a full saturday with pin-up posters. I I have found lately that some may require a few dollars for the board space tho.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
BOSHOG
avenge me

if you advertise on carsales be prepared to get caryards ringing up and wasting your time offering half what youre asking. but these calls seem to stop after the first month, so be patient
Old 10-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
pommyjames

its been so slow I havent even had any of those calls! mines on ebay and carsales. I might give the local paper a go, reluctant though because they want just under $200 for a month and then theres no guarantee it'll sell.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

If you are a genuine user on AFF, you can post here on AFF in the FS section. And if you are not living in Adelaide, you can put up signs and park the car somewhere(if you do this in adelaide, even out front of your own house, you get FINED)
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Carsales would be my safest bet. People will often inspect before they buy.

Though most people are fine, on Ebay a person may win the auction (BEFORE INSPETING), turn up and decide that they don't want it anymore.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I have advertised 3 cars on carsales and sold all three within 8 weeks for close to what asked for them. I have noticed that most of the cars that stay on there for a long time also what a lot for them, not sure if this is the issue for those here that have not had any luck. I have never once received a call from a car yard either.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
pommyjames

im selling a 2000 au xr8 with 131,000 km's for 10750 negotiable, its bang on the money but I just cant seem to generate any interest. Im trying to be as patient as poss but when its been so dead you start to worry.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
Busted

Park it across the road from the local dealer.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I have advertised 3 cars on carsales and sold all three within 8 weeks for close to what asked for them. I have noticed that most of the cars that stay on there for a long time also what a lot for them, not sure if this is the issue for those here that have not had any luck. I have never once received a call from a car yard either.
mine is the cheapest in the country on carsales and its been advertised for a few months now. only one person has test driven

the first 2 weeks all i got was calls from caryards in sydney, they didnt tell me they were caryards but it was pretty easy to tell (one woman rang me 3 times in one day, she forgot she had rang me). maybe the caryards are interested because of the type of car im selling
Old 11-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
mine is the cheapest in the country on carsales and its been advertised for a few months now. only one person has test driven

the first 2 weeks all i got was calls from caryards in sydney, they didnt tell me they were caryards but it was pretty easy to tell (one woman rang me 3 times in one day, she forgot she had rang me). maybe the caryards are interested because of the type of car im selling
You may be right, the type of car often leads to issues. Although I had no car yards calling (QLD car yards tend to sell less 2nd hand cars than NSW and Vic, many QLD trade ins move south), I did get calls from joyriders. 2 of the cars I sold attract this sort of response, a BAI XR8 and a BAII GT. No such problems with the AUII Forte!
Old 11-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i've used forums, carsales and ebay. ebay was the most annoying
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #14
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
You may be right, the type of car often leads to issues. Although I had no car yards calling (QLD car yards tend to sell less 2nd hand cars than NSW and Vic, many QLD trade ins move south), I did get calls from joyriders. 2 of the cars I sold attract this sort of response, a BAI XR8 and a BAII GT. No such problems with the AUII Forte!
even considering all the issues ive had with carsales i still think its your best bet when it comes to selling cars

as covered in other threads i think now is a terrible time to be selling a car, especially a performance car. so be prepared for it to take some time
Old 11-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #15
4bbl
too many toys

i just sold a car in the local paper, took 4 weeks and cost $180 but only may be a phone call a week, i have tried trading post and ebay with no success. they go cheap if i am selling and to dear if i am buying.
4bbl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #16
zdcol71
zdcol71

Just a little side note, my next door neighbour got pinged a couple of weeks ago for advertising his car without a blue safety cert on display.The fine was something completly ridiculous (over $200 from memory). Apparently if the car is on the road, and adverised for sale it is a legal requirement. Dont know how carsales and the like get around this but I have seen a lot of their adverts in car windows but no safety cert to be seen.
Don't know if this is peculiar to QLD?
Old 11-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #17
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I've always just stuck the car on a vacant lot along a busy road where other people tend to advertise their cars - an unofficial caryard on weekends. Never had a car take more than 48hrs to sell. Also, I don't expect double tradein value for my cars, which probably helps.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #18
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've used carsales and I think it was the premium offer were your car goes to the top no matter what and you get more pics. It worked well. I guess being realistic on price is important too! You have to be competitve with the cars you are up against as well. That's how I got rid of my old car, I made it the most desirable using km's, price, features etc. Make sure you use good pictures!! Pictures are very important as well.
Good Luck!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #19
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Carsales, Forums, Local pin up boards etc. Had good success selling a motorbike locally using the pin up boards. Sold my last car through carsales.
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #20
pommyjames

its on carsales, parked out on a busy road, its an immaculate xr8 with low k's for the year. This is sending me insane! I think the v8 market must be knackered with the lack of $$$$ floating around at the minute. Patience I guess.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #21
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Had good success with Carsales in the past. But its still a buyers market ATM, so you dont get as much as you think you should. I've also had success with a forum.

I wouldnt park any of my cars on a busy road, unless I have it in sight all the time. Have seen cars minus wheels, also they tend to get covered in dust.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #22
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommyjames
its on carsales, parked out on a busy road, its an immaculate xr8 with low k's for the year. This is sending me insane! I think the v8 market must be knackered with the lack of $$$$ floating around at the minute. Patience I guess.
its all performance cars, on a few other forums im on everyone is having trouble selling cars. im considering trading a car in for the first time.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #23
pommyjames

I would of traded mine but ive already bought my xr6t so there goes that one, hehe. The only responses are those bloody scammers who want to pay via paypal.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #24
ZDHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I tried to sell my ute a couple of months ago on ebay, Got 1 rediculous offer.
Tried carsales, took a week, then a had a few serious enquiries. First too see bought it.
1997 El Futura Saphire 11 Wagon
1985 xf Fairmont sedan
ZDHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #25
pommyjames

I know the first serious buyer who looks at my xr8 will buy it, its just finding that particular buyer is the stumbling block. Ive just done up a few adverts for notice boards, i'll put those up and see what happens.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #26
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Parking on the side of the road gets people who aren't even looking for a car intersted. They drive past and might say "gee that looks nice" pull up and have a look, next minute they're falling in love with it! then they buy it

Or try trading with someone who has an easier car to sell.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #27
dracer

carsales and ebay
dracer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #28
WOLF
Track Red XY

It wouldn't hurt to try Gumtree. Its getting fairly popular these days and its still free!
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #29
fotsyfots
Starter Motor

another free one is "ozfreeonline" but be warned ~expect a couple of scammers trying you out!!
fotsyfots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #30
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Out of the last 3 cars I have sold, 2 of them were on ebay and 1 was on carpoint/carsales. The closest buyer was 600km away. I find if the phone isn't ringing then the price is too high.

On ebay try with a buy it now price and a best offer option. Or start at $1 with a reserve.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post