Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 14-09-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
Bass Crazy

Default Post AU and Thermofan conversion hiccup

Hey guys.

A few months back I did an AU engine conversion on the EA, along with the thermo fans.
I am having a little temperature issue which is starting to annoy the crap out of me, just wondering if this behaviour is normal for an E series running theroms.

Background Info.

- Stock AU engine, LPG, standard thermostat, clean new coolant, standard timing, BBM manifold, full exhaust, no water loss or signs of head gasket issues.
- Radiator is a natrad item, 4 years old, was cleaned while doing engine conversion, radiator place said it was still ok.
- Have since removed the air condition gear that sat in front of the radiator as it was not flowing well, issue is better, but still there.

Ok so if I drive the on a cold morning (6-10deg)on the freeway for about 15 mins for example, the temp will be fine and sit on about 1/4. Stop at a few sets of lights, probably 5-10 mins in total, but a bit of normal start stop driving in between, and the temp will soon find itself up around 3/4 and will continue up to hot unless the fans come on, or I start driving consistently, then it will gradually come down.

Basically, unless im doing a constant cruise speed, the fans will come on, and thats in bloody winter!!
Any stop start driving, and the cooling system struggles. What will happen when im towing a heavy load at 38deg? The thing will be useless.

I had the same sort of cooling system issue with the EA engine just before it was removed, but it only became apparent on real hot days, probably because the clutch fan has a consistent air flow, even on the cold mornings, could have been hiding the problem.

So what do you think guys, should I grab a new radiator, or is there another issue?

Bass Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Thermostat maybe?

What thermofan setup do you have? I assume you're running a thermoswitch. You could hobo it and bypass the switch if you want.

Or... check that you've got the fans blowing the right way (you never know).
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #3
Bass Crazy

Thermostat seems to be opening correctly (opens at about 1/4 to 1/3 on the guage, and i did a check on it before it went back into the engine. Upper and lower thermostat housings are new, as well as water pump and every hose in the engine bay.

EF Fans are running off a Davis craig thermo switch, and blow air the correct way. When the fans turn on, the are on for about 30 seconds, the temp will go down from 3/4 to about 1/2 or just under.
Old 14-09-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Maybe the thermo switch is cranked up way too high?
Old 14-09-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
Bass Crazy

The switch is set to come on at 3/4. My issue is that on a 6-10 deg winter morning, should the fans be turning on at all? I have never driven a car that has its fan come on so often.
Old 14-09-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Well it is an e-series. Cramped conditions do cause heat! Pilch has a thermofan setup in his LPG-clevo-powered XC and that thing hardly ever switches on, I presume it's due to the greater bonnet clearance.

Mine's on pretty much all the time too, because heat-soak with Windsors sucks, power at 3/4 temp & no fans is down compared to 1/4 temp with fans on for me.
Old 14-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #7
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

Bass Crazy, I agree there is something wrong there. I have not long put thermo's on my ED and don't have that problem, even in Queensland where there is no 6deg mornings. Even in recent 28deg days I can drive a half hour with normal stopping at traffic lights and only ever here the fans come on at the top of the R maybe once or twice. Maybe the water pump in that AU motor you just fitted leaves something to be desired (it's possible, did you check it at all before fitment?).
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 10:33 AM   #8
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Well, I've had issues with my cooling system, and I'm running an AU water Pump too, BUT, the AU water pump has a 94DA part number. So it's not that that's the problem.

Try drilling a hole in the thermostat. I just drilled a 5mm Hole in it, and it seems to be running cooler. Haven't tried driving it in the morning to see if the surging has been fixed yet, as I only drilled a hole in it yesterday.

Btw, I have an ED Fairmont, serpentine conversion, EF thermos, and craig davies thermal switch..

Cheers,
Chris
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
Christiaan

Well, the 5-6mm hole is OVERKILL. The car runs at below the N for like, 20 mins in the morning. Took ages for it to heat up. But I CBF changing it again, so it'll be like that for a while. With summer coming up, I think it'll be ok.

Does anyone know when the computer stops putting extra fuel into the car when it warms up? What temp the coolant gets to?
Old 14-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #10
Bass Crazy

Drilling a hole will only delay engine warm up and do nothing for making the cooling system more efficient. It will also help to mask any thermostat problems, but is not a solution. The factory thermostat im running has a hole in is anyhow with a one way valve.

As for the water pump. Its normally pretty obvious to pick a water pump issue. If it not moving enough water, then a quick rev or the engine should see the temp go down, even if its just momentarily. This is not the case in my car.

What I am experiencing is excessive radiator temperature, as the temp sensor in the radiator is agreeing with my engine, so it cant be a water pump or thermostat issue, because all of the water in the cooling system is at the same temperature. (internal to engine, and the radiator)

The engine compartment on the EA and EL are pretty close. The biggest difference in the cars is the front bumper air intakes. All i can think of is thats the EA's air induction though the front of the car is much less then the EL, and because of this, the radiator never gets time to cool down.

However, if other people with EA-ED's dont have this problem, then it cant be a design issue, and must be my radiator.

Logical?
Old 14-09-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Logical. I have never had a eseries radiator (have had 3 of them in the family since 1992) come out and go to a rad shop without something having to be done, be it end tanks or needing a new one totally cos the core was stuffed. These engines have uber casting sand issues

one thing i cannot say i have ever noticed though is if my EL uses its fans or not. I'm going to have to pay more attention

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 01:15 PM   #12
old_mate
Smash the Boost

and cos its cheap to fit anyway, head to ford and buy a new thermostat. Totally rules that out this way

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 01:40 PM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

What sender are you using? Is it calibrated to suit your dash?

I have my fans kick in at 1/4 and the temp stays there. It goes up to 1/2 If I use one fan only. When driving the fans never come on.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 01:51 PM   #14
Christiaan

Simon

It's Yagz here btw bro.. I just went and bought a genuine Ford thermostat, and it has a hole in it, with a float type thing attached. I'm about to fit it now.

Are you running a genuine ford thermostat?
Old 14-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #15
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i used to have a cooling problem similar to the above problems. one night, the side tank blew out, and time for a new radiator.

if anyone is after a new EF-EL radiator let me know. it fits straight into ALL e-series. (EA-ED with EF-EL and AU engines). Its not even a week old.

cost me $217 brand new from repco, and been used for 3 days. i am after $195. can send at buyers expense. can send asap!!!