Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Question How did you choose your children's names?

I'm 47 and don't plan on firing off any more kids. My girls are 18+20 now. I and the now ex didn't want to know what sex of child we were getting so had to debate on names.

The tradition in my family was that the first born son takes the fathers christian name as middle name. My name is David, my father's name was Alan - so David Alan and so forth. Much the same in a lot of families. We had so much difficulty trying to decide on a boys name that we gave up, not because of arguing - just couldn't decide, it was in limbo. We wanted to be prepared for the birth to announce a name, but it wasn't going to happen.

We picked heaps of girl's names - so much easier for some odd reason. We didn't want names of other girls in our respective families (although we liked many of them) The ex knocked out a few names because they were a "*****'s name" of someone she didn't like ("nasty girl", in case the filter kicks in)

Glad I had girls though. We called them Ashley Paige + Sheridan Kate - sorted.

How did you go?

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Default Re: How did you choose your children's names?

My daughter got Charlotte because of Charlotte Bronte, and because it's my Mum's middle name. She got middle names of Annie (her grandmother's middle name) and Violet (my grandmother's middle name). She is the only grand daughter in my parent's seven grandkids.

Having twin boys was kinda easy. We wanted them to have something in common apart from being brothers, so they got three letter names. Max and Jim.

I have two middle names, William (maternal grandfather's first name) and Gordon (paternal grandfather's middle name).

My boys are Max Robert (middle name of her grandfather) Gordon, and Jim William Earle - after Steve Earle who music has meant a good deal to me over the years.

It's also the case that as I am the youngest and last to have kids, first names were mostly taken, so it was mainly middle names for us.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Robert is the ongoing traditional name in my family. It's my Grandfathers name, my Dad's middle name and my middle name. My Brother made it his son's middle name and my Sister's eldest son also has that as his middle name.

I don't have kids of my own and never will but if I ever did have a son his middle name would be Robert. In choosing his first name I would ask myself 3 questions:
- Will this name get him bashed in the school yard?
- Will people have trouble spelling it and cause him to have to spend his life correcting people?
- is this name flavour of the month with every second boy getting this name?

The answer to these questions would have a big bearing on the name I would choose. I would also avoid idiotic new age spelling of names as well. He would likely end up with a really blokey name.

As for girls, I like old fashioned lady like names. She'd never get a skanky name or be named after a euro car.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
old_mate
Smash the Boost

The name arthur has been in my dads family for as far back as the family tree goes - my son is the 7th or 8th generation to have it in his name (my dad and I share it as a middle name with my son)

Jax's (or Jackson's) first name was chosen because the wife and I are sons of anarchy fans hahaha. It's pretty sad that mums new kitten was called Opie because Jax loves the little thing

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I picked my daughters first name just because I liked it, only to discover later that it was a top 3 flavour of the month name at the time. Her middle name was my wife's choice and was her granny's name so she became Emily Grace. My son, on the other hand, was my wifes' choice start to finish and she insisted he have my name first and her fathers name second so he became Nicholas Thomas.
I don't know how many times I've had prescription repeats for me with my sons middle name on them instead of mine and vice versa. I'm so sick and tired of correcting the chemist I have just given up.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 01:58 AM   #6
zilo
BANNED

We named them after parents, their parents, uncles etc.

No middle names because we both hate them.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I was named Damien because I was born on Friday the 13th, after the main character in the movie "The Omen".

Unfortunately everyone spells my name with an A instead of an E and it gives me the ***** to no end.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

My wife presented me with a list of names. "you can choose any 3 from this list" Ahhh ok I said and picked 3 names that were not too offensive. She then chose 1 name from my list of 3. The rest is history

G6ET 2010 Seduce. Tax return = GTX upgrade DONE
Bridgette01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I was named Damien because I was born on Friday the 13th, after the main character in the movie "The Omen".

Unfortunately everyone spells my name with an A instead of an E and it gives me the ***** to no end.
If this is for truth, your parents are officially epic

My mate named his kid Archer after the cartoon.

My parents put a lot more thought and originality into my sisters name than mine. To be fair, they were convinced I was going to come out a boy, so when I didn't they had to scramble to family names.

I'm stuffed if I have kids. I had enough trouble naming my cats.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Um .. the conveyancer we used on our first home purchase
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte View Post
If this is for truth, your parents are officially epic

My mate named his kid Archer after the cartoon.

My parents put a lot more thought and originality into my sisters name than mine. To be fair, they were convinced I was going to come out a boy, so when I didn't they had to scramble to family names.

I'm stuffed if I have kids. I had enough trouble naming my cats.
Yeah thats the official line, they couldn't agree on a name up until I was born as they were arguing about it during the pregnancy and then I came out on the Friday 13th and Dad was like thats it, Damien.

Mum wanted Kieran and Jullian but Dad wouldn't agree, didn't like Jake either lol.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 27-05-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 27-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
superyob
Banned

My children all have traditional names. I'm not a fan of fad names that are deliberately misspelt so the owner can feign annoyance when the unsuspecting gets it wrong... I do see some 'beauties' at times...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #13
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

My wife let me choose a name for our child, we did want to know what sex until birth so I had to pick two
I like older more traditional names, boys names are easier because the last name doesnt change... like tradition he would take my name as middle and I liked Jamieson so Jamieson Paul.
Girls name was harder, to me the middle name needs to help the name roll off the tongue and need to match with any last name... cant predict who they marry(if they do that is), so just happens my wife family(Italian)tradition was to use an already used family name... the wife's middle is "Jo" so used that, 1st was harder I wanted an older traditional name that meant something I came up with Savannah which like a savanna means the provider or to provide(dates back to the 1600's).
We had a girl, Savanah Jo... I dropped the 2nd N just to be different
Old 27-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
My children all have traditional names. I'm not a fan of fad names that are deliberately misspelt so the owner can feign annoyance when the unsuspecting gets it wrong... I do see some 'beauties' at times...

Touché
Old 27-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #15
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

What prompted me to start this thread was this:

I mean, ffs, why would you do that to someone you're gonna love and cherish. We don't choose our names - it's a gift from our parents that stays with us for life. I rather like my name, got no choice but to though.

Cheers! (David)

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #16
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post

I mean, ffs, why would you do that to someone you're gonna love and cherish. We don't choose our names - it's a gift from our parents that stays with us for life. I rather like my name, got no choice but to though.

Cheers! (David)
The parents seem to have a "KH" and "Y" fetish.
I'm guessing they're a little peeved their daughter didn't graduate from "Khyndyrgartyn"

Old 27-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Terry Pratchett has said that because people 'muck about with names so much' whenever he does a Book signing he always asks how they spell their name.

Even if it's Ann !
Old 27-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #18
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The War Office and I discussed it well in advance. We both agreed we didn't want any yuppie, hipster or 'fad' names for our kids because they have to live with them forever. So we narrowed down a list of names for both sexes that we were happy with (traditional names) and when the respective babies came out we looked at them and said yep, that name suits him/her.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

One of the management staff where I work casually asked me how to spell my name for a name tag, so I told her, its spelt with an E, and she writes it down. then when I get the name tag its got an A in there...

She goes I thought I wrote it down wrong....

NO!

Been there for 8 years and every year my name identification tags have been wrong.

One year I got "Daimiem".

Or when someone asks my name over the phone, I get "Danny"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoMgnJDXd3k
Old 27-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #20
Lotte

For some reason people can spell "Lotte" a hell of a lot easier than "Charlotte"
I never had any issues with my name till I left my home town (where everyone knew I hated Charlotte) and I decided I couldn't be stuffed informing new employers of my preferred name (I'd always planned to be Charlotte professionally anyway - keeps me a bit seperate in and out of work).
The mis spellings are atrocious.
Sharlotte
Charolet
Charlene (WHAT?!!?!!)
Shallot

The list goes on. Usually these are people sending me emails to "firstname.lastname@employer.com"

This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #21
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First daughter is named after the lead character in the Earth Child series. Supposedly set in a time when modern man was living with Neanderthal man.

Aylah Maree (Aye -lar)

Second daughter is interesting. I was boarding with a family and the mother's name was Jolanta - Polish (Yo -lun tah). So, I combined the Yo with the Hawaiian Lani.

Yolani Jacinta (Yo-lah knee)

Last and final child is my son, he was given a traditional Irish name in celebration of his (our/my) heritage.

Deaclan Sean (deck-lin)(shawn). One variation of spelling is Deaglan, even though it is supposedly pronounced (deck-lin).

Cheers Vincenzo, Vinny, Vincent

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Vincenzo; 27-05-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I remember in grade 6 we had our school photos like we always did each year, one of my mates name was "Sean" and the photographer pronounced it See-ann and he cracked the ***** hardcore.
Old 27-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #23
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Eldest daughter was named after my first "love" who died in high-school (my wife also loved the name) then a name I liked (but would never get as a first name) but I apparently misspelt it so she now appears to be names after a town in the NT. Shortly after she was born, my beloved Grandmother passed away, so she received a 3rd name.

2nd daughter was named after her mother's two middle names (one of which was also MIL's middle name.) My wife's beloved grandmother had recently passed, so she too received a 3rd name.

Eldest son had been agreed in advance, he was to be given the name my late brother had chosen for his son (who turned out to be a daughter.) This also happens to be my middle name. Then my late brother's names as middle names.

3rd daughter's name changed between 3rd & 4th pregnancies. There's a lot of Irish in our families, we both love Irish names, and loved a particular name. But it didn't combine well with our surname, so it became her 2nd name, and we chose a name we both liked for the first. We decide to continue the tradition of third names, and she received my Mother's first name.

4th Daughters name was classic Irish. She was born on a saints day, so at the birth we decided to change her 2nd name to the female version, and as a 3rd she received my maternal grandmother's.

5th daughter's (who died in utero) name was a previous child in the house we bought, her name was on the door, and we loved the name.

2nd Son was another traditional name, probably more Scottish than Irish, followed by my father's name, and that of my disabled brother (who'll never have kids.)

nb: My FIL and MIL were well catered for by nephews and nieces before our kids were born.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #24
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went to school for many years with a kid called Dean, except it was spelt Deanne.
At the start of every year in high school, when they were calling out who had to go where, they would read his name out with the girls as De-Anne.

There was also a guy who had two names that could be either surnames or first names. The lists were always written as surname, first name, and the teachers would automatically transpose them when they called our names. Except for his. 9 times out of ten, they would call his as written, surname firstname.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #25
Bearman

About 20 years ago a mate and his wife were expecting a son and told me the name they'd picked out. It was a really insipid, wussy, poonsy name. I pointed out the boy will need to know how to fight with a name like that!!

The boy in the end got a much better name!!

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 27-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #26
Bearman

In my early 20's I used to work with a dude named Cyril. A good bloke but if he thought you were taking the pee out of him over his name he'd blow up deluxe. You did not want that because he was as mean as, and could seriously hurt you!!

He was an only child and the name was traditional within his family.

Old 27-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #27
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:

Cheers! (David)
Almost as bad as Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily Hutchence. Why would anybody want to inflict a lifetime of misery upon their children?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #28
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Almost as bad as Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily Hutchence. Why would anybody want to inflict a lifetime of misery upon their children?
Jacko calling his kid "Blanket" probably takes the ultimate cake for celeb inflicted children names.

Old 27-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #29
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:

Cheers! (David)
Maybe they're Welsh?
Old 27-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #30
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
Maybe they're Welsh?
Welsh alphabet doesn't have the letter K. And there's not enough W's.