Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Time for a Rant - Neighbours Kids Kicking Football at my Cars

OK; we have a quiet street at the end of a no through road so little traffic. With lots of children and I accept that it is OK and actually nice that kids play on the street and kick a football around etc. But I am ****ed off that parents of one group tells their own teenage children off if they kick the football near their own house and cars so they come down to my, and the neighbour across the roads, place to kick the footy back and forth across the road. There is a children's playground two houses down they could use without risk to house windows or cars but they prefer the bowling turf of my across the road neighbour's lawn. I have several cars parked on my front lawn area (not the verge) and I am concerned that they may hit a roof an "oilcan" it. I have tried:

a) asking nicely that they move on;
b) more recently (and more and more agitatedly) yelling at them;
c) talking to one of the parents who told me where to go and threatened me with violence if I yelled at his kids again.

I have also now caught one of them throwing golf balls over my house hitting other cars in the carport (there is a golf range nearby so they can collect lots of free ammunition balls). I think the ugly parent is encouraging them to stir me up. I aslo think they now try to "accidently" hit my cars with the football. It's obviously not a police matter and the local shire have no interest.

I think I know whatever I do will escalate to something worse so I think I will have to bite my lip and try to chill out. I used to play a bit of footy myself and it is difficult to resist the temptation to try a few well placed stab passes at the parent's cars/houses etc. but I know that wouldn't help the situation.

Any suggestions? I have though about confiscating the footballs (to join the collection of golf balls I now have) that hit my house or cars but that may result in the threatened outcome in c) (he has a violent history beating his wife, kids, and pet dog so I think this is likely - I actually held off taking it up with him as I was concerned he would attack his kids ).

Last edited by aussiblue; 03-07-2014 at 04:07 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Time for a Rant - Neighbours Kids Kicking Football at my Cars

Nothing a good beating with a club wouldn't fix.

jk

But you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. The more you hassle them about it the more they will try to provoke you.

Build a new high front fence?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Build a new high front fence?
Yes; I have thought of that or even a garage out the front. But as I intend selling half my fleet over the next 12 months which will put the balance in enclosed carport or sheds, it's hard to justify the expenditure. Being recently retired it's also time to be more prudent with the cash (and now being home most days observing what probably has been going on a lot longer without me knowing .....and yes probably also being older and more grouchy :-) ).

The neighbours and their kids are mostly very nice so I think I will just have to accept the small bad with the good. The violent ugly parent keeps mostly to himself and generally doesn't even make eye contact with anyone else in the street as I think he know we all know his history
Old 03-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what do you feel is the problem? The kids or the violent Neanderthal?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Article supplied on BA IRS oil change 

As much as I hate to say it, you need to ignore what they are doing and concentrate on how to keep your fleet safe. How many and are you using all of these cars? Can you put something on the top or sides of the main panels to keep them from being dented?

I have seen mattresses strapped to the top and sides of cars (albeit not super classics or valuable) using a tapegun and turned every week/fortnight. Not practical I know but it did save them.

Cheers
Mick

Edit:

OR plant some "temporary trees" out the front with cheap wire surrounds and pull them out later.

OR just say you have seen a lot of cars pull into the parents place at late night times. maybe not this one.

Cleaning wheelie bins-
Cats are good too. Fill to about 20cm with water, add soap and cat. Hold lid firmly closed for two minutes. Be sure to stand well clear when releasing cat.

All Whirlpool gold.
PimpMyHubcap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Got any friends who own Harleys or are members of (you're in WA?) Gypsy Jokers or H.A s?
If so invite em round for a Sunday arvo barbie
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
Nova 8

Honestly yelling at the kids wasn't a good option b, I'd be ****ed if I had kids and some neighbor was yelling at them without approaching me first to discuss the situation and allowing me to yell at them. On the aggression front I would get a few of the boys round and ask again and if he get hyped up deal with him.

Personally id contact the police, this is exactly what police are for, keeping the peace, they are not employed to simply hand out traffic offenses. If they do nothing go in a make a report each day in person and eventually they will get fed up and respond.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Aussieblue that’s a tough one, mate I feel for you.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
How many and are you using all of these cars?
They are all registered ,roadworthy insured and driven at least occasionally. In varying paint condition though. The plan is to progressively fully restore and sell most of them now I am retired and bought 2 new cars . Something to keep me occupied and out of mischief once I have all the house repairs and improvements the missus wants, done (that's keeping me busy inside at the moment).

They include such cars as a 1963 EH Panel Van that was handed down from my grandfather and father that has only just over100,000miles on it (that I will probably pass on to another relative once I have it in mint condition again) and the NB Fairlane.

I am thinking of just selling the NC Fairlane as is as the annual cost of licence and insurance is more than it could be sold for and it has sill rust, but that is only one of 8 cars here (two sons with one each and my 6). I have the new sills so am tempted to fix it just for the experience and anyway I don't like selling cars that aren't in A1 condition. So all together we have:

1 X 2013 FG XR6 Ute - new on front lawn
1 X 2013 FG XR6 Sedan - new in garage
1 X 1963 EH Holden Panel Van good condition but needs respray and all new rubbers and some minor rust fixed (in the car port under cover)
1 X NB Fairlane - Excellent condition but a respray would improve its appearance - will sell at auction once in mint condition again (front lawn)
1 X NC Fairlane rust in sills, minor dents but everything else OK (front lawn)
1 X 1980 LC Mitsubishi Lancer (in the shed in primer awaiting warmer weather for final respray) otherwise in excellent condition - had this since new and may even keep as despite its puny engine it's still the most fun to drive and has never failed me.
1 X EF Futura (Sons) - under cover in garage
1 X EL Falcon (other son's) front lawn.

I expect I will have most and hopefully all of the ones I intend selling gone by next winter (arthritis means I can't do much outside or in the shed until the weather warms up).
Old 03-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

... and yes some neighbours (well just 2 including the offender have said something) have indicated that they are ****ed off that I have so many cars on my lawn. They say it detracts from the street and makes the neighbourhood look bogan - perhaps if they were Mercedes instead of Fords they would be happier.

This is Bibra Lake (incidentally Charliewool, Bibra Lake is also unfortunately home to members and clubhouses of numerous bikie gangs including one you mentioned, that I would never have anything to do with) not Dalkeith so I don't think my car ownership numbers materially impacts house values. At the end of the day if I choose to collect cars, especially temporarily, who am I hurting? And who do they come see if their car breaks down or they need similar help; often me. Actually since they have questioned me about it; I have to admit part of me is balking at selling any on principle.

And to put it in perspective we also have a house in the street with several large yachts out the front and that is apparently OK and next door, who I get on well with, has several cars including a very noisy Charger and several motorbikes. And there are also some older rusty unlicensed car hulks sitting on some lawn verges where the owners have only one or two other cars. Within 12 months I should have no cars out the front so that will hopefully solve all these issues. But now I have thought about it I wonder if the football and golf balls is actually a not so subtle strategy being employed to encourage me to downsize my fleet.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Honestly yelling at the kids wasn't a good option b, I'd be ****ed if I had kids and some neighbor was yelling at them without approaching me first to discuss the situation and allowing me to yell at them.
b) followed c) so I did try that first.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
I have seen mattresses strapped to the top and sides of cars (albeit not super classics or valuable) using a tapegun and turned every week/fortnight. Not practical I know but it did save them.
Sound like a good way to encourage rust.

I do have a large bluegum out the front that I park the cars under and it does provide some level of protection - also prevents hail damage as I found a few years. Some neighbours don't like my large native trees either albeit they were provided by the shire when we built in 1980 and the shire doesn't want them removed so the native tree streetscape is preserved.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Walk out front and have a kick with them

Mention this is ****, let's go down the park

Go down park, kick footy, bit of graffiti, smash up playground, sniff paint, break in to school and pinch stuff

Heaps more funs than kicking footy in your street
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I think a recent report in the West Australia that, in the context of Ford and GMH planned end to Oz production, mentioned that Bibra Lake was in the top three Falcon and Commodore owning suburbs has exacerbated the anti cars views; there is a perception that Bibra Lake was being identified as a Bogan suburb because of the number of Commodores and Falcons in Bibra Lake and perhaps I am making a disproportionate contribution to those stats.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #15
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I actually held off taking it up with him as I was concerned he would attack his kids
Two birds. One stone.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #16
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Wow, you actually know kids that go outside ?? Had their computer broken down, No Facebook ?? No internet............
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #17
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Ok on reflection I did yell at them over the 1st golf ball incident before talking to the parents. But when you are in your own back yard minding your own business and you and one of your cars is suddenly showered with high velocity golf balls the reaction is somewhat involuntary with the objective of immediate self protection and prevention.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #18
Nova 8

Either get rid of a few cars, move em round the back, contact the cops, buddy up to the a-hole neighbor or get a bat and duke it out. Pretty much the options you have there, if he is in a rental maybe get him turfed out.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #19
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Wow, you actually know kids that go outside ?? Had their computer broken down, No Facebook ?? No internet............
Such a travesty, what you mention. Kids that whinge and moan because they have no ipad or whatever to suckle on. Even toddlers. Then the parents have the cheek to complain when their 2-6 year-old wrecks their expensive smartphone!

Thankfully, a lot of people are aware of this and will hopefully stick to limiting their future childrens exposure to tablets etc. aside from when it's required for school or something.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #20
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel your pain, in my last house, a feral family with 5 kids moved in across the road, drinkers, smokers, Centrelink CEOS all of them. The youngest 3 aged 4-7 would run around all day and night yelling screaming with no shoes and barely any clothes.
Anyway, my rio was a week old when horror number 2 ran onto the road and pegged at full force a toy in the air in the direction of my car. When I politely told him not to do that, the mum who overheard the whole interaction got grumpy at ME for daring to say something.
I realized that this type of person gets off on causing trouble and making others feel uncomfortable.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 03-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I don't have that problem, because they think I'm the crazy one, I work outside on cars in my pyjamas and if someone drives past and looks I stare back at them until they look away.

No one wants their kids around that scruffy looking weirdo who is outside in his pyjamas staring at people.

If only I could stop Indians trying to sell me power somehow.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #22
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I don't have that problem, because they think I'm the crazy one, I work outside on cars in my pyjamas and if someone drives past and looks I stare back at them until they look away.

No one wants their kids around that scruffy looking weirdo who is outside in his pyjamas staring at people.

is that you rolf?
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #23
commonrails

I feel your pain, we had a feral family move in down the street when I was living at the oldies place in glenfield. The kids egged my ford ranger when I was on holidays, the neighbour hosed it down for me at the time but it still ****** the paint on the bonnet. They even had the audacity to kick a foot ball directly at my car whilst driving down the street, unlucky for them as it hit my side step bounced under the car and the rear wheel saw that it never got kicked again. They even through a bunch of bananas on top of the car and I'm sure there is more I've forgotten. Just to make this clear I never did or said anything to provoke this and I didn't even react to their actions. I even let the kids drive and crash my radio control gas car in the park/reserve. Unfortunately I think and still do think that kids like these have no (decent) role model and as such have no understanding of respect for others or their property among other things as well. Not long after I left mum called me and said there was an altercation in the "feral" house between themselves and someone was stabbed, the whole street blocked off by the boys in blue. A bit sad really and I feel for any kid brought up like this.
commonrails is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
is that you rolf?
Pretty much minus the kiddie fiddling and sexual assault.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #25
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
is that you rolf?
^^^^^Gold^^^^

hahaha

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #26
Nova 8

Quote:

You can get a sign that make it illegal for them to come to your door with a massive fine payable if they fail to follow it.

http://donotknock.org.au/useful-stuf...knock-sticker/

Quote:
The short version:
A salesperson who ignores your Do Not Knock sticker is:

breaking the Australian Consumer Law and the company they represent could be fined up to $50,000 by a court, and
committing trespass.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #27
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

Start answering your door in a robe with the front untied, nothing harder than trying to sell someone a proucut when the bait and fishing tackle is hanging out in plain site

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2014, 05:49 AM   #28
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Let all the dust settle for a while then when the opportunity presents itself and the ball lands in your yard take a pin and slip it between the seams and put a leak in the ball. Then launch the ball down the street with your best torpedo kick at their yard and see how close you can get to their dads car. It's a bit hard to kick a flat footy around. Every time a golf ball lobs in, get out a 7 iron and lob it back at his cars when nobody is looking. When he finds a dent in his car and a stray ball laying around he'll likely turn on his own kids first and without any corroborating evidence or witnesses they'll not be able to pin it on you.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Last edited by Bushbasher; 04-07-2014 at 05:55 AM.
Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #29
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Buy a pre-ADR Harley, early 1970's Shovelhead will do nicely. Every morning 2am start it up outside their house. Mate of mine had a dingbat complain about his late model Heritage, so that's what he did. Coppers, council could do nothing as the Shovelhead was perfectly legal. The neighbour got the message soon enough.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #30
zilo
BANNED

Find a witness...both of you walk over to his front door.

Politely tell him to keep his animals on a leash.

if he threatens you with your witness go and get an intervention order.

If he hits you go and lay an an unlawful assault charge.

You MUST have a witness.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: