Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Default Coolant dissapearing into nothingness AUII

Hello all!

So i have this little problem. Once apon a time, a number of months ago (cant say exactly, 4 or 5 maybe) i filled up the coolant tank to the MAX line and now its down below MIN!

There are no visible coolant leaks anywhere, there is no coolant smell. The motor does not seem to be burning the coolant, theres no white smoke coming out of the exhaust, no plugs are cleaner than others. Oil is not a milkshake. But one could argue it might be burnin it since idle isnt perfect, bit like a miss. Spark to cyls 1 2 and 3 are nice n strong but 4 5 6 are weaker, so im reckoning thatd be a bung coilpack causing this. Also pings once on startup every 3rd start or so...(any ideas on this aswell??)
Theres no moisture inside the cab so its not the heater core.

Anywho, where could it be going!? Could a reaaaally small pin leak in the rad be the culprit??
Car in question is my AUII I6 145xxxkms. Likley sporting its original heat exchange.

Cheers!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default Re: Coolant dissapearing into nothingness AUII

Checked your cap? Could be boiling a bit and pushing it out of the cap.
Old 29-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Yup cap is good. Only put this one on not long ago after the old cap made it boil over along with a bung thermostat. It made a right mess when it did that too! This time, nothing not a drip anywhere!
Ive had a look under there when hot anyway, its not boiling over, cheers

Subaru Outback '02
Old 29-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Get it pressure tested.
Old 29-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Water pumps can weep a little(some have a small window when doing so)and the tiny leak may be evaporating before getting a chance to hit the ground.

Check for any white coolant stains around any coolant plumbing.
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
JR.
Once more with feeling

If it's the original radiator, the plastic end tanks can get tiny cracks at the bottom and slow leak at temperature, but the coolant gets blown away or dries as airflow while driving does its thing. If you've already replaced the thermostat, cap and you can't see signs of boiling, Tony's probably right; time to get it pressure tested or just go replace the radiator to be safe.
Old 29-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon View Post
Get it pressure tested.
Will do this when i have the time thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4ME
Water pumps can weep a little(some have a small window when doing so)and the tiny leak may be evaporating before getting a chance to hit the ground.

Check for any white coolant stains around any coolant plumbing.
Ah righty. Ive poked around everywhere while looking for oil leaks (this car has been lots of fun latley!) and havent seen any stains!

If its the water pump..well. Guess i should replace that when i do the radiator too incase its the problem.
Cheers!!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 29-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR. View Post
If it's the original radiator, the plastic end tanks can get tiny cracks at the bottom and slow leak at temperature, but the coolant gets blown away or dries as airflow while driving does its thing. If you've already replaced the thermostat, cap and you can't see signs of boiling, Tony's probably right; time to get it pressure tested or just go replace the radiator to be safe.
Will get the pressure test done when i can and will do the rad in 5000kms time!

Thanks!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 29-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went through this with my old EL. One of the side tanks on the radiator had a slight leak but the dried pink spots made it obvious when I looked a little closer. When I pulled out the original radiator it was all rotten in one corner. You might have a pinhole leak in a hose somewhere, maybe a heater hose? So for $300 I'd ditch the radiator and buy a hose kit.
Old 29-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I see. Ive checked the hoses, no indication of a leak anywhere (of course there isnt, that would make it easy! haha) not even after i drove it to Melb and back. But ill consider a hose kit, darn pin holes.
Thanks, looks like this will be a decent major service!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 29-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I'm only referring to what I understand about my XH (EL) cooling system - AU's might be different. I check my coolant expansion tank when the engine is cold, as long as it's showing coolant on the "min" line I leave it alone as I believe it's alright. The level rises when the ute gets to operating temp.

I'm wondering if the tank was topped up to "max" with the engine cold that the engine would simply blow off the excess due to expansion, then when cold would give the impression that there's a leak? Yeah?

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Hello! I topped it to MAX when cold yup! But it doesnt expand enough to spill out! I have checked all that after the cap and thermostat episode haha. Dads BFII does the same thing too.

At current. The cold level is below MIN but when hot its hanging a couple of mm above the MIN line. Cheers!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 30-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #13
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, radiator fluid does not 'just disappear'. It is clearly going somewhere that is plainly not visible.

A radiator shop should be able to help you diagnose very quickly.

I hope that it is not your head gasket. That would be my bet if the Radiator tanks prove solid and no other obvious leaks.

Good luck with it.
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi there Interceptor, another option maybe -

Can you double check the 2 heater hoses at the connection's under the inlet manifold? (Trace back from the firewall) Check them in the morning's when cold especially after a hot day's driving previously. If they are starting to fail youll see a weep at the quick fit connection's - might take a couple of goes/days spotting the random weep. This weep drops your coolant level down by around 1 or 2 ml everytime it happens..... a couple months later....mmm empty tank lol! Pretty certain the header tank should be full at all times anyway.

Good luck with it mate!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by Maka; 30-12-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
AUFanboy

Take the fans out and have a look for white stains where the rad tanks are crimped to the core. Mine seeps a bit around there (still the original). You can get newies on ebay for under $100... I have one under my bed but just haven't gotten around to fitting it yet, car still stays under 100 degrees with the original one even in the heat with the AC blasting so I'm procrastinating on replacing it.

Check the heater pipe behind the water pump too, leaks from the o-ring there are pretty much a factory-fitted Falcon feature! Good luck.
AUFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #16
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had this issue, turns out the Hose from the bottle to the radiator had internal cracks in is causing it to leak

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #17
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, radiator fluid does not 'just disappear'. It is clearly going somewhere that is plainly not visible.

A radiator shop should be able to help you diagnose very quickly.

I hope that it is not your head gasket. That would be my bet if the Radiator tanks prove solid and no other obvious leaks.

Good luck with it.
Stu
I dont like your news, go away!
Just kidding, im really hoping its not the head gasket!! And yes, i know it doesnt just dissapear haha.

Engine idle and performance isnt degrading, idle isnt perfect but its been the same for a very long time now! So i still have faith its not the head gasket haha.
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka
Hi there Interceptor, another option maybe -

Can you double check the 2 heater hoses at the connection's under the inlet manifold? (Trace back from the firewall) Check them in the morning's when cold especially after a hot day's driving previously. If they are starting to fail youll see a weep at the quick fit connection's - might take a couple of goes/days spotting the random weep. This weep drops your coolant level down by around 1 or 2 ml everytime it happens..... a couple months later....mmm empty tank lol! Pretty certain the header tank should be full at all times anyway.

Good luck with it mate!

cheers, Maka
Hello!

I could check the heater hoses yes. I see hm! Thanks Maka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFanboy
Take the fans out and have a look for white stains where the rad tanks are crimped to the core. Mine seeps a bit around there (still the original). You can get newies on ebay for under $100... I have one under my bed but just haven't gotten around to fitting it yet, car still stays under 100 degrees with the original one even in the heat with the AC blasting so I'm procrastinating on replacing it.

Check the heater pipe behind the water pump too, leaks from the o-ring there are pretty much a factory-fitted Falcon feature! Good luck.
Noted, might do that pending pressure test! Ive looked on ebay, glad they are very well priced!

Heater pipe o-ring, okay sure. Gotta love it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
I had this issue, turns out the Hose from the bottle to the radiator had internal cracks in is causing it to leak
Ah yes, brilliant. The hoses ive looked at were all pretty soft (easy to compress) if that might be an indication of its condition?

Thanks!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 31-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #18
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

My 2cents worth...well, really just two thoughts that I had when reading this thread.

Tip 1 - cooling systems can sometimes leak only when cold. With a minor leak like yours, a pressure test on a warm/hot system may not be enough to identify the leak as it's potentially only actually leaking during the warm-up phase.

Tip 2 - Start the car from cold for 60 seconds. Check it 5 and again 10 minutes later as by then you will likely have some pressure in the system even though there's little or no heat in most of the cooling system components. It's worth a try.

Hope it works out to be something cheap for you ;)
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2012, 02:26 AM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

many places for a small leak to evade you, it could be leaking from a number of places and evaporating. Before it hits the ground, it could be seeping out of a walsh plug, let them test it at a cooling system place, they can check the coolant for cylander gases, or put dye in the cooling system , and check it with the black light if a pressure test does'nt find it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2012, 02:43 AM   #20
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverT2TE50 View Post
My 2cents worth...well, really just two thoughts that I had when reading this thread.

Tip 1 - cooling systems can sometimes leak only when cold. With a minor leak like yours, a pressure test on a warm/hot system may not be enough to identify the leak as it's potentially only actually leaking during the warm-up phase.

Tip 2 - Start the car from cold for 60 seconds. Check it 5 and again 10 minutes later as by then you will likely have some pressure in the system even though there's little or no heat in most of the cooling system components. It's worth a try.

Hope it works out to be something cheap for you ;)
Not bad! Might give that a shot. Starting to get annoyed, keep poking around and finding nothing! Thanks!! I hope its something cheap too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
many places for a small leak to evade you, it could be leaking from a number of places and evaporating. Before it hits the ground, it could be seeping out of a walsh plug, let them test it at a cooling system place, they can check the coolant for cylander gases, or put dye in the cooling system , and check it with the black light if a pressure test does'nt find it.
If i can get my hands on a pressure tester ill jack the pressure up and keep it there till i see something leaking. I can't seem to find any cooling system places around near work so the only option is for a standard mechanical shop to do the tests... (I can only leave my car at a mechs shop within riding distance to work while im at work since i need the car to get around!)

You mention welsh plugs...i sure as heck hope youre wrong!
Cheers!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 05-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #21
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFanboy View Post

Ding ding ding ding! This is the source of the leak! ^^ I borrowed a pressure tester from my work colleague, pumped it up to pressure, had a look everywhere then i had a peek behind the water pump and bingo! The O-ring has failed and its letting a bit of coolant out each time the system pressurises.

I did a combustion/compression test to further rule out head gasket since the idle is a bit jerky, all was good there! I checked the heater pipe O-ring again, no traces of coolant...thats why i couldnt find anything! So, it evaporates when the motor is hot enough.

Does anybody have any tips on replacing this O-ring? Would like to fix it today!

Subaru Outback '02
3 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #22
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Well done. Good find.

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #23
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Go buy a new pump, which will come with the gasket and o-ring, and grab some gasket goop too. Put the o-ring into the pump, then use a tiny bit of goop to seal right around it. Then fit it and the pump to the car. Let it set for ~1hr, then fill up with coolant/water and test.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #24
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi there,

http://showmoreresultsfromwww.fordfo....php?p=3868819

JC's post will give you a heads up!

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=3431913

Check Bill M's comment for another tip!

Thanks to Rowan & Grand_ Pa_spec's for their excellent write up's & how to's !

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by Maka; 05-01-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #25
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Hey Maka! I id a search after i posted haha, saw both links you posted! Thanks muchly!

And thanks XRG, i think ill head to Supercheap who have their 20% off storewide sale today and get me a waterpump and some gasket goo haha.

Subaru Outback '02
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #26
LPGUTE

this might help it not leak? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-F...item1c2e9a414a

2001 AUII Factory LPG Manual XL Styleside Box
High series bonnet
Clear Side Indicator
K&N Air Filter
BAXR6T Snorkle
Low Fronts, Super Low Leafs

LPGUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 01:19 AM   #27
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Oh, havent seen that before! I have gasket goo now which should do the ferrels job(?) so unsure if its worth buying??

Thanks!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 06-01-2013, 01:55 AM   #28
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPGUTE View Post
Hmm, wonder if that would also fit the thermostat housing on the other side. I replaced the o-ring to fix a minor leak, but it was back again a couple of months later... I wasn't sure if it was the pipe, which is a little corroded, or I'd used too much sealant goop. I did use the genuine Ford green o-ring.
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #29
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Mike, did you get the pump and install it?
Old 06-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #30
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It shouldn't need sealant,preparing the surface areas are a must to get good O'ring seal.

No point flogging a dead horse.
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: