Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
Lagom

Default Focus Sales

Just if anyone's interested, the Focus sold 999 units for December 2005.
Surely someone could've registered one more car

Other than supply though, what do you think could help Focus sell more - what would you do to improve sales, how would you make the product more attractive to the market?

Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Lower price? LOL :P

I think maybe a 5 speed or 6 speed auto might help draw some people away from VW Golf sales. I certainly was impressed with the 6spd auto on the Golf.

A better stock audio HU perhaps? Mazda3 comes with MP3 stackers in the mid-spec.

Curtain airbags? Mazda3 comes with them in the mid-spec.

Those are the 3 things I can think of right now. The HU and airbags were things I had to give up on to get the Focus. I was very nearly going to get the Mazda3.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 03:21 PM   #3
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom
Just if anyone's interested, the Focus sold 999 units for December 2005.
Surely someone could've registered one more car

Other than supply though, what do you think could help Focus sell more - what would you do to improve sales, how would you make the product more attractive to the market?
Good Question and one that I’m sure is also keeping Ford’s marketing dept very busy. Really, the car should sell its self. It is continually named best in its class (in an ever growing sector of the market) and I wouldn’t be surprised if it wins Wheels car of the year (announced next Wheels issue). The supply issue is no doubt deterring a lot of potential customers but I also think the styling may be hurting sales.

New car buyers typically narrow their choice down to a certain section of the market i.e small, midsize, family, 4wd etc and let’s face it, after that, unless you’re a driving enthusiast, the most important criteria for most people (especially women) is appearance. I mean no offence here to those that own lower spec LS Focus models, but I think with the exception of the very stylish Zetec and soon to arrive XR5, the LS focus is not an immediately attractive car. I have just bought an XR5 and I’m still not totally convinced by the styling, but I am a driving enthusiast and for me, styling is very much a secondary consideration to performance, ride, handling etc.

They must be tearing their hair out at Ford though. I mean the Falcon has been a consistently better product than the Commodore (the motoring journos can’t all be wrong) and likewise the Focus against the Astra. However both the Ford products are continually outsold by the Holden equivalents. Obviously the AU Falcon with it’s shall we say, questionable styling, caused almost irreparable damage, and Ford is still trying to win back customers, but I can’t see how the Astra outsells the focus because I wouldn’t have thought it was even the better looking product.

I’m not sure what the December figure was for the Astra, but in November the General moved 2473 units and the mazda 3 went out the door even faster, with 2772 cars being sold. Both these cars were well inside the top best 10 sellers for the month and the focus did not even make the top 20 .

Having said all that, I would ask perhaps an even more relevant question - does Ford really care that much about focus sales in Autralia? The Oz car market almost pales into insignificance when you compare it to the European and US markets.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsest170
Having said all that, I would ask perhaps an even more relevant question - does Ford really care that much about focus sales in Autralia? The Oz car market almost pales into insignificance when you compare it to the European and US markets.
I'm sure they do

Just remember why Ford is third and why Ford will always be third if it doesn't sell more in a certain area of the market that is the biggest growing segment...

When you look at the sales gap between Ford & Holden, most of it can be explained by light & small cars (B & C segment). Falcon & Commodore platform sales are now very similar if you look at the 2005 figures - the main source of difference is in the smaller end of the model range and lets not forget the advantage Ford has with commercial vehicles over Holden.

I believe one of the main problems with Focus is that people don't know about it and if they do know it exists, they don't know how good it is. I've got 4-5 people considering high end Focuses (Zetecs or Ghias) who otherwise probably would go and buy a Golf or a Mazda 3. At the end of a day, a product can't sell itself if people don't really know about it or have any feelings about it.

Focus certainly has supply problems, but at the same time there are $1000 cashback offers on certain LS Focus CLs. Interestingly, for all of Mazda's incentives at the moment, there's a notable absence of the Mazda 3, and they have supply problems too.

Interested to hear more thoughts on the subject, we really ought to see more people buying Focuses, they're a great car.
Old 15-01-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
Lagom

Quote:
I’m not sure what the December figure was for the Astra, but in November the General moved 2473 units and the mazda 3 went out the door even faster, with 2772 cars being sold. Both these cars were well inside the top best 10 sellers for the month and the focus did not even make the top 20 .
December 2005 results.

Holden Astra: 1,547 (the worst result for some time)
Holden Viva: 573 (hmmn, any sales cannibalisation going on there?)
Mazda 3: 2,721
Toyota Corolla: 3,584 (I don't love them, but Toyota knows how to sell them)
Old 15-01-2006, 09:27 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
Lower price? LOL :P

A better stock audio HU perhaps? Mazda3 comes with MP3 stackers in the mid-spec.

Those are the 3 things I can think of right now. The HU and airbags were things I had to give up on to get the Focus. I was very nearly going to get the Mazda3.
Lower price than already the sharpest price in the segment for what you get...? :ymca: It beats Astra and Golf and then compared to the other rubbish in the segment is still very keenly priced (cough Civic (joke) (Corolla (I'd rather cut off my own balls) and Pulsar (please don't punish me, I'm innocent). There is currently $1000 cash back on 2005 plate CL's which puts them at $19,990 for an award winning car with top crash protection, the same 2.0 litre as the Zetec, twin aribags, power windows, CD, air con and great dynamics. That screams bargain to me!!!

One point that as an ex-salesman I have noticed, the MP3 input in a Focus (and now the new Fiesta) basically is a lower cost way of allowing MP3 whilst not including it in actual car and costing more money.

Look at it this way. Mazda 3 with 6-stacker MP3 ability, or a Focus with single slotter and MP3 input.

Considering the availability and cheap price of MP3 players such as Ipods these days and their portability, I would simply turn the Mazda's 6-stacker into a disadvantage. You're stuck with a limited amount of space for music, you have to pay each time you want a new blank CD burnt (even if it is less than a dollar) and you have the hassle of both losing all your CD's if they get flogged and the hassle of carrying them around, changing them routinely and taking up glovebox space, plus door pockets etc.

The LS Focus still allows CD's, but if the customer has an Ipod, they're now fully portable, can bring as many songs as their Ipod will allow, and can take that music with them or listen at home. One of my pet hates is having my fave CD's in the car and realising they're still there when I want ot listen inside the house. I'm on a 4th floor apartment, thus CBF going and getting them mostly.

So I'd simply say to the potential customer that this is now a better feature, it lowers the price of the car, makes it more flexible, much more secure (because you usually have your MP3's backed up onto your computer anyway) and in the end a cooler option.

If the customer doesn't have an Ipod, I'd simply either offer to include one at a cost of a few hundred dollars to the Dealership which in the end would be a fantastic way to attract young buyers, especially advertising it actively. The Dealership could then buy them in bulk wholesale somehow and save a bit more cash. So the salesman has now turned a vehicle's disadvantage compared to its competitor into an advantage. Now you're looking at which car DOESN'T have a an Ipod or portable music solution.

This is how a good salesperson will not only make a vehicle appear better suited to a customer if that's what they're after, but it also helps to overcome a percveived disadvantage when in fact it can be viewed as an advantage. I know I'd much rather a 30gb Ipod and a single spinner to a 6-stacker. (and yes it's obvious that a 6-stacker AND an Ipod is theoretically better, but also more costly and effectively overkill)

It's little things like this that a salesman can do to help himself sell more cars, help customers think the cars are really good and go a long way to looking very good in the eyes of the customer... instead of trying to bag the opposition to cover up for shortcomings in their own product which I've seen too often in the industry.

If only I was still a salesman I'm sure I'd be helping Apple AND Ford at the same time!!!!!
Old 15-01-2006, 10:31 PM   #7
omg

OK, here's some thoughts from someone who has never bought a ford before (well, a new ford anyway, I had a 2.0 esky back in the 80's. Fantastic car)

The aux jack was a big selling point for me, I'll take that over a six stacker every time. Hell, I didn't even have an ipod at the time (bought ut the weekend before the car was being delivered) and it was still a selling point.

The price is fine, actually, it's more than fine, it's excellant. If Ford have to drop the price of the focus to sell them then they might as well chuck the towel in now.

The marketing campaign was crap completely alienating half the market while not really hitting the mark with the market it was aimed at.

Looking at the two segment leaders. The corolla is really not that much of a car, it's considerably more expensive than a focus, is smaller, has less power (and considerably less torque), does not have compliance or anywhere near the handling and it is toasting the focus in sales. It sells the same way every Toyota is sold, because the person buying it knows it's better built than a $200,000 BMW. Ford doesn't have this reputation and while it would nice if they genuinely tried to match toyota it will take decades to build.

The other leader is the mazda3. Personally I felt the suspension in the focus crapped on the 3 and the engine was noticeably better (surprising considering they are the "same"). In terms of looks I prefer the 3 sedan however I wanted a hatch and the 3 hatch is an abomination. The SP23 was very tempting for me for the extra grunt however in the end for me the extra money wasn't worth it (I'm on an operating lease and the Zetec is actually less than the midspec Mazda 3 Maxx), to be honest I think both cars are really quite slow in a straight line so the difference between slow and marginally less slow is a bit meh to me. If I wanted a performance car I wouldn't be buying either.

What the 3 has done is captured the funky youth end of the market while the corolla has sewn up cardigan. The focus seems to have annoying cute to itself but not surprisingly this doesn't work as well as cool. The 3 has taken the lead in cool from it's marketing, from the flow on from the whole model range (I think man for man ford is better however the mx5 and rx8 sell a lot of 3's and 6's) and from it's "range halo" model SP23. To turn the Focus around I think ford need to ditch the advetising agency and emphasise the dynamic qualities of the focus more and to rejig the range by making the Zetec sportier (more aggresive with suspension, larger more powerful engine and put in some decent friggin seats). Obviously this will push the price a bit but I think that would make more sense as the Zetec is too close to the LX but it would give a noticeable delimination in models and put a bit of zing in to the Zetec which it is somewhat lacking atm

While I obviously bought a focus and I do think the car is fantastic given the choice I would've bought a '98 N15 Pulsar SSS. Likewise, if mazda were as clever with suspension as ford is then I would've bought the 3 over the focus. Why Ford is determined to keep the Focus' best qualities (it's handling) a secret from the market is beyond me. Then again, this is the company the released the AU and tried to take over the dealer network so they do have a masochistic streak
omg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #8
WASP
Whipple Induced

I love our LS Zetec but found when purchasing the options on almost everything was very limited. If there was one thing I would suggust they look at to move more cars is to offer more options i.e. colours, interior features, leather, 6 stacker, wheels, trim, performance and safety features, body kits.

Other than that, a six speed manual is a must over the 5 speeder. Same for the auto. And can someone build in some decent places to put things!!

Ford need to continue with their promotion of this model as well. I haven't seen a Focus Ad for a very long time now.
Old 15-01-2006, 11:49 PM   #9
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA

Ford need to continue with their promotion of this model as well. I haven't seen a Focus Ad for a very long time now.
I believe Ford may have deliberately backed off with the LS Focus advertising because they can't meet demand as it is. About 5 months ago I had a dealer openly admit to me that Ford had started advertising the new focus way too early and created a demand for the car that they simply could not meet. Judging by current waiting periods, I would say that things have not changed.
Old 16-01-2006, 01:32 AM   #10
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by omg
The marketing campaign was crap completely alienating half the market while not really hitting the mark with the market it was aimed at.

To turn the Focus around I think ford need to ditch the advetising agency and emphasise the dynamic qualities of the focus more and to rejig the range by making the Zetec sportier (more aggresive with suspension, larger more powerful engine and put in some decent friggin seats).
The fact of the matter is, the majority of buyers in the small car market don't give a rat's about handling, dynamics etc etc, but every time someone on the Forum's gets into this area, they invariably go on about showing the cars characteristics etc etc. That's because we are enthusiasts, and most of the buying public aren't. People on this Forum are a very poor judge of what "the buying public" want, because none of us are typical. We are Ford tragics.

You have to remember this. Corolla has been in the market for something over 30 years and have a great reputation. The average punter doesn't have to justify buying a Corolla because of their reputation.

Mazda 3 has got to where it is on styling, and the classy feminine image of Mazda that has been built over a long time

Everyone forgets the importance of brand name. If Focus had been called Laser it would have sold twice as many because people trusted the Laser name.( Remember when Laser consistently outsold Mazda 323?)

They don't know Focus, and brand reputation doesn't happen overnight. Most customers aren't rejecting Focus, they simply aren't putting it on their shopping list in the first place. It is a very competitive market place out there...probably THE most competitive small car market in the world. And people don't analyse every car in the segment. They simply look at the one or two cars they know.

The other fact is that Focus has a male bias in its owner base (about the only small car that does), in what is a typically female market. And to females, Ford is not seen as a fashionable feminine brand (and yes I know that Holden sells well to women, but women never say they have a Holden, they say they have an Astra or a Barina)

Anyway, it's late and I'm ranting. The key to Focus is consistency. Consistency of product. Consistency of supply. Consistency of market positioning. And frankly it has had none of that since day one. Be it engine edits, or lack of supply, the stars have never been in alignment on this car. And don't blame the agency. And don't blame the Ford marketing guys. Blame those who expect a brand new nameplate to be an instant success, and start panic short term marketing in order to grab any sale they can.

Anyway I'll shut up now and go away.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #11
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
The fact of the matter is, the majority of buyers in the small car market don't give a rat's about handling, dynamics etc etc, but every time someone on the Forum's gets into this area, they invariably go on about showing the cars characteristics etc etc. That's because we are enthusiasts, and most of the buying public aren't. People on this Forum are a very poor judge of what "the buying public" want, because none of us are typical. We are Ford tragics.
melbzetec, there was a lot of sense in that post. Having said that, I'm still interested in hearing various opinions.

Manufacturers have to be very careful not to base their decisions only on the needs of enthusiasts, because enthusiasts are the minority of customers.

Lets not forget that the LR Focus was positioned on its driving characteristics, slight connection to rally, etc - just pick up an old LR Focus brochure and compare it to the LS Focus, totally different positioning. Having said that, the gutless engines in most of the LR Focus range hardly did the car's positioning justice. What does the average customer notice more - the Focus' sharper handling, or the Astra's superior throttle response and performance (comparing previous generation cars in their basic guises)? Focus had all its strengths in areas that really didn't matter hugely to customers, it had a positioning that was largely irrelevant to most of its customers (small cars in Australia are bought by different types of people than in Europe, where they can often be bought as 'family cars' by the 'man of the house'). Lets also remember that there were elements of the Focus such as interior styling which probably ИИИИed off more customers than won customers.

Whilst supply is without a doubt an issue, I believe there are more issues with the Focus brand that need work on. Focus for a long time has been a nothing brand for most people in Australia - if you can't even get on the consideration set of people buying small cars, doesn't matter how great the car is.

Unfortunately perceptions rule in this world. As a result, good products sometimes don't get a fair go.
Old 16-01-2006, 09:54 PM   #12
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom
Unfortunately perceptions rule in this world. As a result, good products sometimes don't get a fair go.
Absolutely.

And here was a brand new car that no one had heard of, launched at the same time as the biggest Falcon launch in history, which could barely take off from the lights because a flashing issue. mmmmm I'll buy 3

And just think about the buying process.

"Dad (or brother, or boyfriend) I'm thinking about buying a Corolla. Whaddya reckon?... You can't go wrong love. Very reliable. A good safe car. Easy to maintain"

OR THIS

"Dad (or brother, or boyfriend) I'm thinking about buying a Focus. Whaddya reckon?... Don't know much about them love. Who makes them? Don't know anyone that has one. A bit risky"

AND FOR THOSE REALLY SWITCHED ON...."mmmmm I'd wait a while love. Ford seems to have launched a lot of cars over the past few years then dropped them. (ka, mondeo, probe, mustang, festiva, cougar ...)
You don't want an orphan. You'd want to wait a few years to see if it's successful. Why don't you get something reliable like a Corolla. They've been around for years and are a really good small car. I had one when I was your age"
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 16-01-2006, 10:20 PM   #13
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Well if people do buy cars in this way, then I’d say ignorance rules this world, not perception. Seriously, the focus had been absolutely showered with accolades for years and been the biggest selling car on the planet before it arrived in Australia!

I take your point melbzetec, but at the same time I find it rather difficult to believe that in the year 2006, that someone would commit to what is often the second biggest financial commitment of their lives, based on little more than ‘Dad’s nod of approval’. If someone is in the market for a new car, surely they owe it to themselves to do a bit of research first. This is the age of the ‘information superhighway’, where virtually everything you want to know about anything, is right at your fingertips. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever these days, that even most clueless among us can’t make their own informed decision about a purchase.
Old 16-01-2006, 10:56 PM   #14
dazza_1011

not sure if it is just my ford dealer but to put it in th nicest possible way ford service is crap. i only bought it because i liked the styling and features. i would have far preffered it to have been a holden because there service is outstanding, however the astra which i guess you would call the equivalent in the holden range is more expensive quite ugly and has less features, so if ford could pick up there act fix things the first time you tell them and try not to screw you around...... hey these figures might just get better
dazza_1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 11:57 PM   #15
melbzetec

Quote:

I take your point melbzetec, but at the same time I find it rather difficult to believe that in the year 2006, that someone would commit to what is often the second biggest financial commitment of their lives, based on little more than ‘Dad’s nod of approval’.
Trust me. I do a lot of work in this area. The decision to buy a car is emotional. Just like buying a house is emotional. Most dress the decision in rationality during and after the fact, but fundamentally we make decisions on what feels right. It is the beauty of being human

Old 17-01-2006, 09:48 AM   #16
Mick K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza_1011
not sure if it is just my ford dealer but to put it in th nicest possible way ford service is crap. i only bought it because i liked the styling and features. i would have far preffered it to have been a holden because there service is outstanding, however the astra which i guess you would call the equivalent in the holden range is more expensive quite ugly and has less features, so if ford could pick up there act fix things the first time you tell them and try not to screw you around...... hey these figures might just get better
I think you need to shop around and try a different dealer. I have had both good and bad experiences at Ford dealers (and Holden, Toyota and VW dealers). Find one that has a good reputation and recommendations and you'll be set. Good luck.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #17
BlackLS

Things they can do to help Focus sales:

Fix the supply problem
Fix the build problems
Fix the paint problems
Offer more options (sunroof, curtain airbags)
Differienciate the models a bit more
Advertise more, several ads with different target audiences:
-The current one with Jackie-O and Andrew G for the metro/moden city dweller showing the style of the thing
-A surfie one showing the room in the back/boot
-A one showing its rally heritage for the performance of the thing.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #18
FOCUSCC
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza_1011
dazza might be an idea to find a new dealer, the first one i went to wanted to lead me astray about delivery(order today and might be able to get in a couple of weeks) - yeah right. Ended up getting mine from qford up here in brisbane. told me up front might have to wait a couple of months for colour i wanted. and first service they fixed what i asked for. however our company uses commodores and we have had numerous problems with the local dealer that services our cars, so u can see it depends on the dealer.

On how they can improve sales, i really think they need more colours, the colours they offer are just plain boring. plus the zetec needs a bit more power to differentiate it. Also i think the built in SA thing hurts them a bit. maybe they should point out that BMW have been building cars there for years. AND WHY CAN'T WE GET INDICATOR STALKS ON THE RIGHT SIDE??
FOCUSCC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 06:09 PM   #19
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSCC
...AND WHY CAN'T WE GET INDICATOR STALKS ON THE RIGHT SIDE??
I must admit I found that very aggravating on my recent test drive. It makes sense if your driving a manual I suppose (constantly active left hand anyway), but I prefer to flick the indicator with my right hand from the window ledge.

Could this be fixed easily?
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 08:11 PM   #20
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I dont think I ever indicated when I test drove the Focus. I kept turning on the windscreen wipers! LOL

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
Old 17-01-2006, 10:22 PM   #21
tabaccs

My '03 focus is up for its 30k service in a few weeks, just wondering if any of you guys knew of any ford dealers that had some half decent customer service?? The one ive been taking mine to honestly have no customer service skills whatsoever.. by the way im located in melbourne

ST170 Side Indicators, K&N Panel Filter, Factory Scuff Plates,
Leather/Alloy Handbrake Cover, Body Kit
tabaccs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 10:25 PM   #22
New2Focus
LS LX Aficionado

A belated posting.

Seems no-one is suggesting to drop the price, and having bought one, I naturally agree! Anyway, when demand exceeds supply that makes no sense. (I don't recall Mazda in SA ever having advertised the 3 on price - only 'new stock arriving'.)

The niche in which the Focus is (or should be) operating is as a cheaper alternative to the Europeans (viewed as an expensive Corolla/Lancer it makes little sense; viewed as a cheap Golf/307 it's a ripper) - something the just-superseded Astra did well. Remember that the Astra prior to the just superseded 'Classic' shape suffered as it wasn't a convincing car. Incidentally, I'll be interested to see Astra sales now that the Classic is all but gone, which will show the 'true' figures for the new shape, which as an overall quality package doesn't make such an impact, and which GM is already starting to discount - something they rarely did on the old model up until the end. Many people bought the old Astra on (a) style [something on which the new Focus is not unpleasant but arguably not as 'Euro' as the new Astra] and (b) overall refinement - an area in which the new Focus trounces the Astra. The previous Astra didn't have an instant reputation to fall back on, but successfully built a niche. Does anyone even remember the advertising for the Astra? GM were hopeless at marketing small cars, but the product was right.

Speaking of advertising, I'm a poor judge of cool, but I winced when I saw the campaign for the new Focus. The message which many seem to recall is only 'celebrity and cute dog on roof', which does no justice to the car. Ford are selling a premium product - why not push refinement, class, and driving pleasure? Again, that's largely what sold the old Astra and is selling Golfs. I know many of us on this Forum are driving enthusiasts, but when buying any quality product (Hi-Fi, watch, whatever), I know I'll pay a bit more for something that's renowned for excelling in its role - even if I can't always discern it myself!

Improvements? I don't disagree with those listed - colours (although at least it's better than the Astra and Golf!) and lighter trim (including door panels) being an easy start. Sounds like a diesel might be on the cards - again, could be useful in enhancing the 'Euro' image.
New2Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 12:49 AM   #23
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
I must admit I found that very aggravating on my recent test drive. It makes sense if your driving a manual I suppose (constantly active left hand anyway), but I prefer to flick the indicator with my right hand from the window ledge.

Could this be fixed easily?
Guys, no offence but this is the oldest, most tired and boring intolerant excuase out there. It's nothing but an intolerant rant and I'm sick to death of hearing it. EVERY SINGLE european car sold in Australia has LHD indicators, including the multi million dollar euros. Only the Holden Vectra doesn't, but they're not only criticised for their weird action, but they need more than indicators to make you want to buy one...

Simply put, it makes absolutely bugger all difference to the driving, is no less safe. You need both hand on the wheel regardless of what you're doing and you either flick them on with your left or right hand, both hands are shaped the same and have the equal number of fingers.

Sorry for the rant, it's my pet hate. It show nothing but ignorance and the fact that it's coming from someone who's never owned a European car for any period of time. I also jump from Falcons and Territorys to Foci and Fiestas all the time and very very rarely make the mistake, it's simply just thinking about which side to use. :

Apoologies for the rant, it's just tiring...
Old 18-01-2006, 10:58 AM   #24
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally prefer them on the left...... Just feels more natural... But thats just me
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 12:11 PM   #25
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Guys, no offence but this is the oldest, most tired and boring intolerant excuase out there. It's nothing but an intolerant rant and I'm sick to death of hearing it. EVERY SINGLE european car sold in Australia has LHD indicators, including the multi million dollar euros. Only the Holden Vectra doesn't, but they're not only criticised for their weird action, but they need more than indicators to make you want to buy one...

Simply put, it makes absolutely bugger all difference to the driving, is no less safe. You need both hand on the wheel regardless of what you're doing and you either flick them on with your left or right hand, both hands are shaped the same and have the equal number of fingers.

Sorry for the rant, it's my pet hate. It show nothing but ignorance and the fact that it's coming from someone who's never owned a European car for any period of time. I also jump from Falcons and Territorys to Foci and Fiestas all the time and very very rarely make the mistake, it's simply just thinking about which side to use. :

Apoologies for the rant, it's just tiring...
hehehe..someone needs a holiday in the Cook Islands.
On a side note, our Zetec is in for some repairs (battery)and we have been given a brand new Fiesta as a replacement. It's a nice little car but my partner wants her Focus back!! Sometimes we don't appreciate how good these cars are until we have the alternative.
Old 18-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #26
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Left hand indicator is better then right hand if you ask me, i love it in the focus, i hate the Falcon / Territory!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 03:26 PM   #27
newcarbuyer

I think there must be a reason to having the indicator on the RHS in Aus and the like and on the LHS for Europe and the like. Personaly, I think it is better on the RHS here in Aus as I think there are times when being able to change gears and indicate at the same time is rather handy and safer.
newcarbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 09:48 PM   #28
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I agree that having it on the RHS is safer because we would be able to change gears and indicate at the same time.

I'm guessing thats why they have it on the LHS in Europe. Gear shifts are done using the right hand over there.

Old 18-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #29
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
I agree that having it on the RHS is safer because we would be able to change gears and indicate at the same time.

I'm guessing thats why they have it on the LHS in Europe. Gear shifts are done using the right hand over there.
Correct. It's nothing more than a cost saving method pure and simple. But changing gear and indicating... I'd like more than half a hand on the wheel when I'm approaching a corner and slowing down personally. Having it on the left means I have one hand MINIMUM on the wheel AT ALL TIMES. That I consider safer.
Old 18-01-2006, 10:01 PM   #30
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

What about the UK? They are Right hand drive, and Left hand indicator..... Left hand gear change....

Only countries with right hand indicators are Asia/Japan and Aus/NZ, and i guess South Effrika...
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post