Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-01-2006, 11:46 PM   #1
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Default Fly Boy - An Open Letter

To the owner of the blue AU Forte/Futura (can't remember which) with the Jim Mock sticker on the rear windscreen that I cruised past a couple of times (you didn't appear to have cruise control - or you weren't using it) on the way home from Summernats/my folks place - on your second 'fly by' you had smoke belching from your exhaust, so you're either running a bit rich or something else is amiss. After I cruised passed for the third time, I didn't see you again so hopefully you got home safely as well.

cheers

Mark

PS. The fly bys were a bit try-hard.

Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

: 3 times is a charm, maybe he was trying to check out the vents... they do look hot.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Hey, in respect to the vents are they stuck on with holes cut out underneath them eg are they functional or for looks.

I've wanted to have these put on my bonnet for ages. They look good.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Fully functional. It might be the "have mod, must make a difference" syndrome, but the temp needle does seem to sit slightly lower than it did previously. I can hear more noises under the bonnet though. I did think rain/car washing would be copious amounts of water would enter through the vents, but after some heavy rain (whilst it's parked) and a few car washes, not as much as I thought seems to get through.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

What did you do about the sound proofing? Can you take a pic of it as I'm curious to see how they did it.. Just chop holes in it or did it another way?

Old 10-01-2006, 02:47 PM   #6
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

No sound proofing - GT's don't have it, so I guess it's not completely necessary.

They tried to minimise the amount of choppage they had to do. Each vents had four threaded 'posts' they drilled holes into bonnet for. Each vent had one of those that went into the bonnet structural parts. Then they cut squarish holes to accept the recessed, meshed vented part.

Underneath doesn't look 'factory' like the EF/EL XR6s, so I'm wondering how best to do that - need to have a chat with them when I take the wing back to get a bit of a fix up (some 'filler' shrunk a bit, which they knew about when I first picked it up, but they said to give it a few more weeks to settle in...)

Wish I could get better under-bonnet pics of the gold Xplode XR8 to see what they did...
Old 10-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

thanks for that, was curious. Did the car have soundproofing under the bonnet originally?

Old 10-01-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Yep, it did.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:14 AM   #9
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
Wish I could get better under-bonnet pics of the gold Xplode XR8 to see what they did...
I found these in some photos i borrowed of a club member. Hope this helps u out a bit. If you look closely on the photos is looks as if they didnt cut anything out for the bonnet scoops.

I do have a couple more of the out side of the car, let me know if you need them scanned in.

Cheers
Tim

2010 FPV F6 Ute
2016 FGX XR6 Sprint
2020 PX3 Ranger Wildtrak
TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 10:28 AM   #10
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
Fully functional. It might be the "have mod, must make a difference" syndrome, but the temp needle does seem to sit slightly lower than it did previously. I can hear more noises under the bonnet though. I did think rain/car washing would be copious amounts of water would enter through the vents, but after some heavy rain (whilst it's parked) and a few car washes, not as much as I thought seems to get through.
Have to say that I also noticed a difference with the temp needle when I did mine..

My bonnet got hacked to put them in, but you can't tell from outside, just going to put a new bonnet liner on and cut some neat holes in that.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #11
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Ok, so the Xplode Falcon was a show pony with a sweet Herrod engine...

I want to fabricate some sort of srround that still allows airflow but hides the mounting posts, etc... Not too worried about the liner as the flexible pipe join for the air intake pipe was chewing it up at the back anyway...